Myohmy

Crashes

20 comments in this topic

Players
19 posts
316 battles

Before the latest update, I used to have occasional freezing of the screen and I'd get violation penalties. Since the latest upgrade, I've tried 3 times - one worked, one gave a blank screen crash and today gave a screen and key freeze, while sound carried on. Task manager claims it's using 80% of memory at less than 2 GB, but i have 8 Gb.

I tried contacting support, but can't get the WGCheck file as I can't find WOW.exe on the computer

Any ideas?

[-AP-]
Players
2,563 posts
6,319 battles
3 hours ago, Myohmy said:

Before the latest update, I used to have occasional freezing of the screen and I'd get violation penalties. Since the latest upgrade, I've tried 3 times - one worked, one gave a blank screen crash and today gave a screen and key freeze, while sound carried on. Task manager claims it's using 80% of memory at less than 2 GB, but i have 8 Gb.

I tried contacting support, but can't get the WGCheck file as I can't find WOW.exe on the computer

Any ideas?

press windows+r, you should get a "run" window. Type dxdiag into the textbox and press enter, you should now get the dxdiag window opening. Press "save all information" in the bottom of the window, then upload the txt file that you get to the forums. This will let us know the exact specs of your computer.

You will find the wgcheck file in a folder called "WGcheck" in your world of warships installation folder, which should be located in some place similar to this: "c:\Games\World_of_Warships\WGCheck"

Players
19 posts
316 battles

Thanks for the reply.

I need to be on my PC for the first point. - will get back to you

The second point was I can’t actually RUN WgCheck as I can’t find wow.exe on the PC, which is the first thing it asks for. I don’t have a C:\Games or C:\Windows\Games folder of any sort. The only wow stuff I can find is under Windows Apps, but no Worldofwarhips.exe. Because I can’t find this, I can’t run the tool, which means I can’t send a support request of any sort to Wargamings, as the WgCheck file is obligatory

[-AP-]
Players
2,563 posts
6,319 battles
11 hours ago, Myohmy said:

Thanks for the reply.

I need to be on my PC for the first point. - will get back to you

The second point was I can’t actually RUN WgCheck as I can’t find wow.exe on the PC, which is the first thing it asks for. I don’t have a C:\Games or C:\Windows\Games folder of any sort. The only wow stuff I can find is under Windows Apps, but no Worldofwarhips.exe. Because I can’t find this, I can’t run the tool, which means I can’t send a support request of any sort to Wargamings, as the WgCheck file is obligatory

You definitely have a world of warships folder somewhere on one of your hard drives, it is necessary for the game to work. Just search around a a bit and you should be able to find it.

Players
19 posts
316 battles

I’ve already spent ages looking for it - there used to be a Search function for files. I do have various Worldofwarships directories on my C and D drives, but none of them contain worldofwarships.exe, as far as I can see. I did find one exe file with a similar name, but longer, but WgCheck refused to accept it.

if these stupid Windows Apps had icons on the desktop or somewhere, I could find its location in Properties!

it really is stupid that you can’t get to Support without having done this first - at least then they could tell you were the file is!

Hmm! Looking at the thread, the dxdiag file I sent later doesn’t seem to be there. I’ll send it again when I get back tonight

Here it is

DxDiag.txt

Players
19 posts
316 battles

Hi thiextar,

That’s what I’m working from - you have to add where worldofwarships.exe is.

Hi Rusty,

Yes,  it’s from the Apps store. Does that install things in a non-standard way?

Players
19 posts
316 battles

Found it in:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\7458BE2C.WorldofWarships_8.2.2.0_x86__x4tje2y229k00\bin\1374796.

Now to see if I can get WgCheck to run

The answer is No. If I put in the link (as in capture3)' then click on Check, I get capture1.

I also have this exe file in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\7458BE2C.WorldofWarships_8.2.2.0_x86__x4tje2y229k00\bin\1427460,

but the same error occurs if I put it into WgCheck

Capture3.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Players
19 posts
316 battles

@Rusty_9 In the example above, I forgot to check the two empty boxes, but get exactly the same result if I do.

Supposedly, when you enter the path to Worldofwarships.exe, it should show the client version at bottom right, but doesn't

In the path dispayed, it doesn't actually show as far as Wordlofwarships.exe, only the subdirectory before this, but I don't know if it actually has the full path, but not enough space to display it as it is so long, or if it doesn't have the full path. Doesn't seem much I can do about it either way

Players
606 posts
21 hours ago, Myohmy said:

Supposedly, when you enter the path to Worldofwarships.exe, it should show the client version at bottom right, but doesn't

22 hours ago, Myohmy said:

Yes,  it’s from the Apps store. Does that install things in a non-standard way?

Yes, it does install differently unfortunately. The WG Check tool is for the standalone program, not the windows app store app IIRC hence you can't get it to run correctly.

Unfortunately i don't think there is much else you can do. When I started out on WoWs, I initially installed the app from windows store, but after a few annoying freezes I just removed it and installed the game from the WGC (download from website https://worldofwarships.eu/en/content/game/). I think the biggest problem here is that you might struggle to login using your existing account because the app from app store uses windows credentials which wont be usable on the 'normal' version.

That said, 244 battles isn't TOO many to start again with, especially if you are having problems with the app version atm. And if you didn't the first time round, you can always use an invite code when creating your 'new' account to get some freebies too. You'll also find (FWIW) that when running updates each month, the app has to re-download in its entirety (20GB?) instead of 'just' a 1-2GB patch on the standalone version.

Not sure if that helps though :)

• Cool 2

Players
19 posts
316 battles

@Rusty_9,

I've already had problems with different accounts.

I don't really want to lose what I have already - definitely don't want to go back to the rubbish stuff they start you on and I've bought a ship. I've finally found a way of contacting support - on Twitter, so will see if they can sort it. They want me to send a Dxdiag file, but Twitter dosn't do txt files - wonder if I can copy it and just past it into Twitter

But it would be good to have the smaller updates on the standalone version - maybe they can transfer me. I find it absolutely stupid that they have the two versions and never point this out, with advantages and disadvantages. For example, I think they have much more in the Store on the standalone one

[-AP-]
Players
2,563 posts
6,319 battles
1 minute ago, Myohmy said:

@Rusty_9,

I've already had problems with different accounts.

I don't really want to lose what I have already - definitely don't want to go back to the rubbish stuff they start you on and I've bought a ship. I've finally found a way of contacting support - on Twitter, so will see if they can sort it. They want me to send a Dxdiag file, but Twitter dosn't do txt files - wonder if I can copy it and just past it into Twitter

But it would be good to have the smaller updates on the standalone version - maybe they can transfer me. I find it absolutely stupid that they have the two versions and never point this out, with advantages and disadvantages. For example, I think they have much more in the Store on the standalone one

244 battles are not a lot, and you can quickly get up the tiers if you want.

Trust me tho, the windows store is the most horrible and buggy piece of software ever invented, so you definitely do not want to get stuck with it even if you can fix the crashes you are currently experiencing, the longer you play on the windows store account, the more you lose when you will inevitably have to switch sadly.

It really is worth it to switch to a proper account and standalone launcher while you still havent got very far into the game, i really cant recommend that enought.

• Cool 2

[-AP-]
Players
2,563 posts
6,319 battles
1 minute ago, Myohmy said:

Thanks thiextar,

If they can transfer my account, I'll do that.

Im pretty sure they cant sadly, atleast i know they cant transfer accounts between servers. Anyhow, you should be ready for the possibility that you may have to create an entirely new account

• Cool 1

Players
606 posts
24 minutes ago, Myohmy said:

Thanks thiextar,

If they can transfer my account, I'll do that.

It's worth a try - don't ask don't get. And I'm sure I did come across someone in forums who had managed an account switch/merge or something (although not without a bit of hassle!). If it's the money-investment you don't want to lose (Le Terrible?), you could see if they can 'transfer' that ship to your new account and delete your old (maybe @MrConway could provide some pointers/help on this)?

Of course, this is all assuming my statement about the win-app account not working on the WGC client being correct :Smile_hiding:. And @thiextar warning about win app store is probably worth considering carefully :). You don't want to get a repeat of this issue (or a different one) after another 200 battles... and then again at 750... 1000... ;)

• Cool 1

Players
19 posts
316 battles

Hi @Rusty_9 @thiextar,

The only bought thing  I have at the moment is Marblehead Lima, but I've 5+ million silver and other stuff and lots of stuff installed.

If I had to start again, I don't think I'd bother - the basic ships are so crap and so is the aircraft carrier play

• Cool 1