You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gustywinds

Queen Elizabeth - any point having as well as Warspite?

63 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
4,006 posts
15,134 battles
18 hours ago, gustywinds said:

I joined started playing WoWs when Warspite came out as I have a family connection with her and have featured her in a book I wrote. She has always been one of my favourite ships in game.

When the RN BB’s came out I skipped Queen Elizabeth using free XP but I now have a bunch of credits and am wondering if she does actually give a different experience .

Thoughts?

Warspite > QE

I'm trying to play through the QE, but she just feels so... urgh... compared to the Warspite, that I can't really get me to play her often..

Players
5,065 posts
6,257 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

Jack Dunkirk helps. Or his brother Bert, with their enhanced Expert Marksman skill. Bert is available in the Armory for a few quid's worth of doubloons, and is worth trying if the ship is annoying you.

I use those on my RN cruisers, but you know, if I throw resources at the game just to make QE playable, can as well free exp through her. As I did after getting halfway to KGV.

Players
5,550 posts
8,175 battles
47 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Warspite > QE

I'm trying to play through the QE, but she just feels so... urgh... compared to the Warspite, that I can't really get me to play her often..

Rather she feels like prebuff Wankspite, as she for quite a few years lacked WD40 on turret bearings

3 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

I use those on my RN cruisers, but you know, if I throw resources at the game just to make QE playable, can as well free exp through her. As I did after getting halfway to KGV.

Dunkek captains will come in handy later in Lion/Conqueror due to boosted JoaT to help with eternal heal reload, improved EM doesn't hurt either

• Cool 1

Players
5,065 posts
6,257 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

Dunkek captains will come in handy later in Lion/Conqueror due to boosted JoaT to help with eternal heal reload, improved EM doesn't hurt either

I'm likely going to put one in reserve for that. Mostly just because I soon no longer need a Dunkek captain on Neptune,

Players
1,811 posts
245 battles

I might buy her back later on, as im still deciding whether to get the leander (i hope it's good) or the aoba (i wonder if it's like the furytaka).

Cant seem to get a decent pr rating on my KGV despite having an ok winrate on it. Haven't heard many good things about the monarch but at least it doesn't have 356's i guess.

i do enjoy the QE but lack of armour and slow mobility plus big target is always a bad combo (even if i can get around 80-90k in her sometimes).

Players
5,550 posts
8,175 battles
8 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

I might buy her back later on, as im still deciding whether to get the leander (i hope it's good) or the aoba (i wonder if it's like the furytaka).

Cant seem to get a decent pr rating on my KGV despite having an ok winrate on it. Haven't heard many good things about the monarch but at least it doesn't have 356's i guess.

i do enjoy the QE but lack of armour and slow mobility plus big target is always a bad combo (even if i can get around 80-90k in her sometimes).

Leander lacks range and 8 CL guns at times leaves something to be desired, but she is top pick for T6 Ops. Aoba IS Furutaka, except with +faster reload +better range -slower turret traverse -rear facing metal fish dispensers -worse rear turret firing arc

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I'd bring 356mm KGV flamethrowers into tier 10 than 381mm spud guns of Monarch

Players
403 posts
8,787 battles
2 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Id say, you should play QE with AP tho. I really had good results with it.

Because of the shortfuse AP, i think its more crucial to target the right spot, especially on BBs. Can get some nice salvos, even if you dont get a Citadel. Where normal AP would just yield overpens. And the 381mm guns are really good too because of the overmatch (25mm plating).

I also mostly used the AP on the QE cause unlike the rest of the line it actually works due to the overmatch, but that still doesn't change the fact that the Warspite has much better accuracy so you can actually hit the citadel, the tech tree ships have much worse accuracy due to having to balance the stupid HE (though QE doesn't suffer as much due to the low number of guns balancing out the stupid trait somewhat).

Maybe the short fuse AP does do better on thinly armored targets but the worse accuracy means that you are less likely to hit the citadel anyway which kinda balances that out, thus making the Warspite's ability to actually citadel battleships giving it a more well rounded package IMO.

QE was just about the only tech tree RN BB I actually enjoyed playing the rest were just trying to be cruisers with the HE spam which is such a dull playstyle and it doesn't win you games as fire damage can be fully healed (sure it pads your damage stats), then there is the other issue that they basically have no real armor that stands up to anything.

I have reached the Lion, but I am having much more fun in the Iowa that I am grinding at the same time...

[NWP]
Players
5,182 posts
6,644 battles
18 minutes ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

QE was just about the only tech tree RN BB I actually enjoyed playing the rest were just trying to be cruisers with the HE spam which is such a dull playstyle and it doesn't win you games as fire damage can be fully healed (sure it pads your damage stats), then there is the other issue that they basically have no real armor that stands up to anything.

I played KGV mostly AP too, because i couldnt stand the HE spam :Smile_hiding:  Or lets say: I still used HE vs DDs, but otherwise AP. Wrecks Cruisers like no tomorrow and you can pad your WR, not your damage :Smile_teethhappy:

One game i just got fed up dealing 2013 damage and no fires -> next salvo was 17k with AP right away on a BB :crab:

Players
5,065 posts
6,257 battles
2 hours ago, CptBarney said:

Overall, Leander is a better ship. Aoba is an improved Furutaka, except for torpedo angles. It is far less powerful in its tier than Furutaka is in T5. Leander meanwhile is likely one of the best T6 cruiser picks, regardless of the format and certainly among tech tree cruisers.

2 hours ago, Panocek said:

Leander lacks range and 8 CL guns at times leaves something to be desired, but she is top pick for T6 Ops. Aoba IS Furutaka, except with +faster reload +better range -slower turret traverse -rear facing metal fish dispensers -worse rear turret firing arc

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And I'd bring 356mm KGV flamethrowers into tier 10 than 381mm spud guns of Monarch

Leander's dpm isn't great, but it's passable and the concealment, torps, smoke, repair are all incredibly useful. I personally prefer playing Leander over playing Fiji, just for the better concealment alone, as well as the added torp per side. Leander is easily one of my favourite cruisers, being quite a steady performer and it even is a commo- eh, tech tree ship, so it is readily available for free.

Also, I rather take Monarch. KGV for its tier is good, but Monarch AP is just more reliable. Also, the sole thing Monarch has less than KGV is fire chance. Even in raw HE dpm it is an upgrade. In KGV I felt like I had to rely on HE more often because the AP was just not up for the job. In Monarch, apart from the typical high tier issues that plague almost all high tier ships, the AP actually pens stuff properly and does its job, making HE a (valuable) fallback option for targets where AP just is not suitable.

Players
3,030 posts
3,409 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

I played KGV mostly AP too, because i couldnt stand the HE spam :Smile_hiding:  Or lets say: I still used HE vs DDs, but otherwise AP. Wrecks Cruisers like no tomorrow and you can pad your WR, not your damage :Smile_teethhappy:

One game i just got fed up dealing 2013 damage and no fires -> next salvo was 17k with AP right away on a BB :crab:

Mostly in KGV I got sick of the T9 games where everyone hides behind a rock, and bowcamps.

The guns are not the main point except everyone else can shoot you, even cruisers, and you do meagre damage. 

IF you do not get blasted being 'first blood'. Man I had that lots of times. I'm not the most careful player though. :Smile_playing::Smile_izmena:

Maybe THAT is why I like Queen E much better than KGV. But I don't know if Warspite is any better or worse.

Different, probably - like Monarch and KGV. I did sort of like Monarch.

10 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Also, I rather take Monarch. KGV for its tier is good, but Monarch AP is just more reliable. Also, the sole thing Monarch has less than KGV is fire chance. Even in raw HE dpm it is an upgrade. In KGV I felt like I had to rely on HE more often because the AP was just not up for the job. In Monarch, apart from the typical high tier issues that plague almost all high tier ships, the AP actually pens stuff properly and does its job, making HE a (valuable) fallback option for targets where AP just is not suitable.

THIS. In fact I'd rather take Queen E to a T9 game than KGV. Which is what we actually did, doing fail-divisions... :Smile_trollface:

Players
5,550 posts
8,175 battles
2 minutes ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Overall, Leander is a better ship. Aoba is an improved Furutaka, except for torpedo angles. It is far less powerful in its tier than Furutaka is in T5. Leander meanwhile is likely one of the best T6 cruiser picks, regardless of the format and certainly among tech tree cruisers.

Leander's dpm isn't great, but it's passable and the concealment, torps, smoke, repair are all incredibly useful. I personally prefer playing Leander over playing Fiji, just for the better concealment alone, as well as the added torp per side. Leander is easily one of my favourite cruisers, being quite a steady performer and it even is a commo- eh, tech tree ship, so it is readily available for free.

Monarch loses one gun compared to KGV class, so "HE DPM" is actually lower. Not that it matter much, as accuracy on that ship was atrocious compared to "passable" KGV and DoY, which with HE you usually need to connect them compared to landing AP in rather specific area. Though DoY can at least attempt using AP due to American Piercing ricochet angles, bonus points for reminding smoking citizens of randomness she has Hydro:Smile_trollface:

But then I find Richelieu one of the most consistent T8 "BB" despite many claiming otherwise, so RNGesus giveth and RNGesus taketh?

Players
5,065 posts
6,257 battles

1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Monarch loses one gun compared to KGV class, so "HE DPM" is actually lower. Not that it matter much, as accuracy on that ship was atrocious compared to "passable" KGV and DoY, which with HE you usually need to connect them compared to landing AP in rather specific area. Though DoY can at least attempt using AP due to American Piercing ricochet angles, bonus points for reminding smoking citizens of randomness she has Hydro:Smile_trollface:

But then I find Richelieu one of the most consistent T8 "BB" despite many claiming otherwise, so RNGesus giveth and RNGesus taketh?

Monarch accuracy is comparable to KGV. Neither is outstanding, neither is garbage. That is what my personal experience was and stats back me up.

Monarch-KGV.thumb.png.fa7346384bd9b1cbbc9fd05aaa593553.png

And with that kinda rear turret angle, it's 6 guns on the front for both, but you got a point.

Players
403 posts
8,787 battles
3 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Unfortunately my experience was more like 1k with AP on a broadside target and 6k with the HE...

In the tier 9 the only time the AP was rewarding was when I was under 4km from a broadside Yamato cause then at that distance the fail dispersion can't possibly make your shells bracket what your shooting at...

Beta Tester
4,006 posts
15,134 battles
On 4/7/2019 at 8:44 PM, Panocek said:

Rather she feels like prebuff Wankspite, as she for quite a few years lacked WD40 on turret bearings

Can't really remember a buff for the Warspite... And I got her as one of my first prems right after the beta

On 4/7/2019 at 8:53 PM, CptBarney said:

leander (i hope it's good) or the aoba (i wonder if it's like the furytaka)

The first cruiser that is as good as the Furry Taco is the Zao.. ^^

And the Lee-Ann is a very situational ship. I managed 58% winrate and ~43k average damage, but only because I played a lot DD before that. For me (!) the Lee-Ann is a DD with a (too big) citadel. If You manage to find a sweet spot on the map and have some mentally challenged enemies You can do an astonishing amount of citadel damage against most other cruisers which are dumb enough to show you their broadsides...

The torps aren't that bad either...

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
1,642 posts
4,793 battles
On 4/7/2019 at 1:23 AM, BLUB__BLUB said:

Not as slow as the US gun-platform-barges... and solid as a rock.

The guns just require planning... in case of emergency, turn the whole ship!

Really the King George V after Queen E was a big disappointment for me. 

I re-bought Queen E and she will sail regularly in operations and such.

Haven't got Warspite but will wait for a sale... she'll be mine... :Smile_playing:

I'll bet you won't touch QE much after you get Warspite.

[UNICS]
Players
293 posts
6,661 battles
19 minutes ago, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Can't really remember a buff for the Warspite... And I got her as one of my first prems right after the beta

There have been a couple, her turret traverse was increased from 72secs for 180 to what she has now and she was lowered slightly in the water so her citadel was less exposed.  I think the turret rotation was mid 2017.......not sure about the lowering in the water.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,300 posts
2,490 battles
7 minutes ago, Ace_Rimmer01 said:

There have been a couple, her turret traverse was increased from 72secs for 180 to what she has now and she was lowered slightly in the water so her citadel was less exposed.  I think the turret rotation was mid 2017.......not sure about the lowering in the water.

Her previous turret traverse was such that it took her from mid 2017 until now to get them  turned all way round... that buff landed well among the Warspite owners of this world.

• Funny 5

Players
1,238 posts
3,646 battles
On 4/7/2019 at 10:48 AM, Panocek said:

QE better AA will come in handy in Ops when bots finally learn how to fly, her secondaries are also bit more consistent. 

In t6 ops alone, I think bother are good but the winners for me inop are the French ships, Normandie and Dunkerque, the latter a bow tanking beast.

• Cool 1

Players
3,030 posts
3,409 battles
1 hour ago, Procrastes said:

Her previous turret traverse was such that it took her from mid 2017 until now to get them  turned all way round... that buff landed well among the Warspite owners of this world.

Usually with Queen E I just turn the whole ship... seriously, I do. :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Players
385 posts
8,010 battles
9 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

In t6 ops alone, I think bother are good but the winners for me inop are the French ships, Normandie and Dunkerque, the latter a bow tanking beast.

While Dunk sucks in randoms, I find her one of the best bb for ops, because of few 380mm+  enemies, forward guns and speed (comes handy in killer whale and Raptor). Accuracy and overpens are still annoying but i'm hoping for that sigma buff someday...

• Cool 1

[JRM]
[JRM]
Players
1,903 posts
15,963 battles

Ita fast and good for repositioning but other then that quite lackluster, shitty damage, shitty plate, IMHO WV is better for ops, even PEF is better...

Players
1,238 posts
3,646 battles
4 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

While Dunk sucks in randoms, I find her one of the best bb for ops, because of few 380mm+  enemies, forward guns and speed (comes handy in killer whale and Raptor). Accuracy and overpens are still annoying but i'm hoping for that sigma buff someday...

You could always spam HE, the bot's won't complain, lol

Players
3,510 posts
8,214 battles

I don't have Warspite, but I do have the permacamo for QE and it still wasn't enough for me to really continu play the QE after I had elited it.

It was kinda like a tier 6 Monarch, except that I ended up liking Monarch more and I have sufficient tier 6 alternatives that I find more useful compared to QE.

It not being a premium ship means you'd need a dedicated captain for QE and frankly I don't think QE is worth having an extra captain for (especially if you want to make it a 19pt one) and for other purposes the QE with permacamo is imo also eclipsed by other alternatives which are frankly just more useful and more fun.

Players
3,030 posts
3,409 battles
5 minutes ago, NothingButTheRain said:

I don't have Warspite, but I do have the permacamo for QE and it still wasn't enough for me to really continu play the QE after I had elited it.

It was kinda like a tier 6 Monarch, except that I ended up liking Monarch more and I have sufficient tier 6 alternatives that I find more useful compared to QE.

It not being a premium ship means you'd need a dedicated captain for QE and frankly I don't think QE is worth having an extra captain for (especially if you want to make it a 19pt one) and for other purposes the QE with permacamo is imo also eclipsed by other alternatives which are frankly just more useful and more fun.

QE works pretty good with the same captain as Hood. Not so well with same captain as KGV or Monarch or up.

That's another reason for me to keep QE... I guess I like the same things in QE as I like in Hood. 

Players
816 posts
On 4/7/2019 at 6:57 PM, Deckeru_Maiku said:

Warspite > QE

I'm trying to play through the QE, but she just feels so... urgh... compared to the Warspite, that I can't really get me to play her often.

Both ships are pretty much the same really. Both have decent secondary for their tier level, both have that slow turret transverse. There is really not much to pick between the two ships, except one is a premium earner in the Warsprite. Both ships are too similar though to play alongside one another, plus I'd say Warsprite is slightly better than QE and earns the much better credits.

So it's a no brainer...