You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gustywinds

Queen Elizabeth - any point having as well as Warspite?

63 comments in this topic

Players
170 posts

I joined started playing WoWs when Warspite came out as I have a family connection with her and have featured her in a book I wrote. She has always been one of my favourite ships in game.

When the RN BB’s came out I skipped Queen Elizabeth using free XP but I now have a bunch of credits and am wondering if she does actually give a different experience .

Thoughts?

Beta Tester
2,423 posts
3,282 battles

In a word,  no. Sadly there are essentially no redeeming features to the QE (imho).

The combintation of that slow (23,5 knot) speed, and glacial (72 seconds to turn 180) turret traverse killed her for me.

Players
2,813 posts
3,139 battles
4 minutes ago, lafeel said:

In a word,  no. Sadly there are essentially no redeeming features to the QE (imho).

The combintation of that slow (23,5 knot) speed, and glacial (72 seconds to turn 180) turret traverse killed her for me.

Not as slow as the US gun-platform-barges... and solid as a rock.

The guns just require planning... in case of emergency, turn the whole ship!

Really the King George V after Queen E was a big disappointment for me. 

I re-bought Queen E and she will sail regularly in operations and such.

Haven't got Warspite but will wait for a sale... she'll be mine... :Smile_playing:

• Cool 2

Players
373 posts
8,581 battles

Well the QE has one of the best AA of any tier 6 BB and the stupid RN BB HE that is more reliable than their AP, but the fact that it has a worse turning circle, much worse accuracy slower turret traverse and short fuse AP mean that most of the time your better off in the Warspite.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
2,423 posts
3,282 battles
2 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Haven't got Warspite but will wait for a sale... she'll be mine... :Smile_playing:

And I wish you the best of luck with it. Me? I'm actually enjoying the KGV a *edited* of a lot more than I ever could the QE.

Ultimately, only the OP can answer whether he will like the ship or not, but at least I have a solid basis for why I didn't enjoy her one bit.

• Cool 1

Players
2,813 posts
3,139 battles
1 minute ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Well the QE has one of the best AA of any tier 6 BB and the stupid RN BB HE that is more reliable than their AP, but the fact that it has a worse turning circle, much worse accuracy slower turret traverse and short fuse AP mean that most of the time your better off in the Warspite.

The short fuse AP means you citadel cruisers instead of overpen... 

And just pull the handbrake for turns... or plan not to turn at all. 

Turns on a dime when you pull the brake, avoids torps even better than the US ships (and I like those too).

• Cool 1

Players
2,813 posts
3,139 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

And I wish you the best of luck with it. Me? I'm actually enjoying the KGV a *edited* of a lot more than I ever could the QE.

Ultimately, only the OP can answer whether he will like the ship or not, but at least I have a solid basis for why I didn't enjoy her one bit.

Yes it is up to the OP to decide, lucky we do not all like the same ships.

I sold all after T7, and when I have Conqkek it will see use only in CB, I'm afraid.

Man I hated the guns on KGV, gld to get the QE guns back on Monarch. 

Beta Tester
2,423 posts
3,282 battles
2 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Yes it is up to the OP to decide, lucky we do not all like the same ships.

I sold all after T7, and when I have Conqkek it will see use only in CB, I'm afraid.

Man I hated the guns on KGV, gld to get the QE guns back on Monarch. 

Really not sure what to make of the Monarch from what I have read about her. But I'll give her her fair chance like I did every other ship (bar the Bellerephon) to prove her worth, its only fair.

Players
170 posts
20 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

Haven't got Warspite but will wait for a sale... she'll be mine... 

KGV is very, very different to the Dreadnoughts. I hated her at first but she can be fun in the right game. Doesn’t uptier well but a potent stealth weapon as long as you have all the upgrades and a 10 point captain.

You’ll enjoy Warspite. She turns well and, with a secondary build, melts destroyers as long as they aren’t behind you.

• Cool 1

Players
373 posts
8,581 battles
16 minutes ago, lafeel said:

Really not sure what to make of the Monarch from what I have read about her. But I'll give her her fair chance like I did every other ship (bar the Bellerephon) to prove her worth, its only fair.

I skipped the Monarch cause it is a fantasy ship they made up when they removed 10,000 tonnes of armor from the KGV to force it into tier 7 along with making the guns worthless and then decided to clone it and give it bigger guns cause they needed something there...

22 minutes ago, BLUB__BLUB said:

The short fuse AP means you citadel cruisers instead of overpen... 

And just pull the handbrake for turns... or plan not to turn at all. 

Turns on a dime when you pull the brake, avoids torps even better than the US ships (and I like those too).

I find very little difference when dealing with cruisers, since the change from sort fuse to normal fuse on the Hood I have had an increase in citadels actually.

Both ships slow down at the same time but Warspite can turn a lot tighter like 200m tighter.

[BHSFL]
Players
1,398 posts
5,502 battles

It has much worse ( short range ) secondaries ( QE ) Ofcourse that would be the last thing some forum members would look at, but to me that makes a noticable difference, especially in Operations damage efficientcy.

I very much regret that as the QE's secondaries are much more modern in their rotating turrets then the WWI casemates of the Warspite. No reasons for that but to fiddle with ships stats to make them different from each other.  In fact the most rediculous differences are to be found in secondaries that can have diffrent stats even when they are the exact same weapon on another ship. ( not Warspite and QE though )

• Boring 1

Players
191 posts
9,694 battles

For me Warspite is far better and my most played ship, its citadel machine, QE i hated beacuse guns are not the same, not even close, HE is better on QE thats true but AP? Omg it was terrible experience for me, worst AP i used on tier6 together with PEF. Its short fuse but behave short fuse only on bb and almost never reach citadel, short fuse on cruisers, big nope there, i always hit citadel (QE and Warspite both really accurate) but always overpening it for 1k. For me AP was really like AP on PEF, you cant use it and risk only 2-3k dmg overpen salvo, its much better to use HE and have atleast some 5-8k dmg. On the other hand i never fired HE on Warspite, his AP stick to citadel when i hit it and never want to leave it.

In short: stick with Warspite and dont even try QE if want AP guns, if want HE use QE then and dont even try AP

[H_FAN]
Players
2,071 posts
25,875 battles

Well if you are a collector of especially RN ships why not? I have all ships and the credits to spend on every ship. So a T6 ship does not blow the bank. 

Gameplaywise no, but the sligthly longer range may be useful sometimes 17,1 vs 16,3. Warspites better turn radius 550 vs 680 m compensates. better AA at least earlier for QE-

But in the end only if you are collector. I have played QE nearly nothing, always Warspite. 

[BABBY]
Players
355 posts
7,610 battles
6 hours ago, lafeel said:

After horrible stock experience (16,5km range) I found the Monarch to be a decent ship. The combination of concealment, good HE (worse fire % than KGV for some reason) and fast reload lets her survive in t10 environment. If the guns were 406mm i'd rate her among the best in tier.

ON TOPIC i sold QE once i got the Warspite, the glacial turrets were killing the fun for me.

• Cool 2

[SHAD]
Players
567 posts

Does the QE give a different experience to the Warspite?

It does have better HE but with 380mm guns at T6 why would you use HE? Your AP overmatches everything.

Warspite has a better heal and better turret traverse.

QE has slightly better range.

The QE's shorter fuse time allows for fewer overpens on those tier 5 paper cruiser citadels.

Players
1,400 posts
8,111 battles

I actually sold my Warspite and rebought QE.

Warspite has better main guns and secondaries but QE feels more of a rounded package in games with 2 CVs, and I have no problem with HE spam. Warspite is more accurate but I find she gets chipped to bits before she can get into range.

[NWP]
Players
1,183 posts
10,095 battles

Get her, Keep her and love her. She is Royal Navy. ROYAL NAVY!!!! Not that I'm in anyway bias....

• Cool 1

Players
5,161 posts
8,071 battles

QE better AA will come in handy in Ops when bots finally learn how to fly, her secondaries are also bit more consistent. 

Players
170 posts
58 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Get her, Keep her and love her. She is Royal Navy. ROYAL NAVY!!!! Not that I'm in anyway bias....

Well, me too.

I have every available RN ship apart from her and Audacious. I guess I could keep the credits for if I ever earn enough XP for Audacious but I’d probably burn through it just trying as the few games I’ve played in Implacable so far i’m averaging  minus 30k credits each game!

Players
2,813 posts
3,139 battles
11 hours ago, gustywinds said:

KGV is very, very different to the Dreadnoughts. I hated her at first but she can be fun in the right game.

Doesn’t uptier well but a potent stealth weapon as long as you have all the upgrades and a 10 point captain.

I the games I got, was mostly uptiered.... indeed it doesn't uptier well. OMG....

11 hours ago, gustywinds said:

You’ll enjoy Warspite. She turns well and, with a secondary build, melts destroyers as long as they aren’t behind you.

I know I will. Probably wait untill X-mas sale though...:Smile_coin:

11 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

I skipped the Monarch cause it is a fantasy ship they made up when they removed 10,000 tonnes of armor from the KGV to force it into tier 7 along with making the guns worthless and then decided to clone it and give it bigger guns cause they needed something there...

IMO the Monarch is what KGV should have been... they just switched the names.

11 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

I find very little difference when dealing with cruisers, since the change from sort fuse to normal fuse on the Hood I have had an increase in citadels actually.

Both ships slow down at the same time but Warspite can turn a lot tighter like 200m tighter.

I have Hood too, haven;t noticed much differentce except it is better vs other BBs.

5 hours ago, BlackYeti said:

After horrible stock experience (16,5km range) I found the Monarch to be a decent ship. The combination of concealment, good HE (worse fire % than KGV for some reason) and fast reload lets her survive in t10 environment. If the guns were 406mm i'd rate her among the best in tier.

Same thing, IMO this is the KGV and what they calla a KGV in WOWS is a fantasy.

ON TOPIC i sold QE once i got the Warspite, the glacial turrets were killing the fun for me.

They taught me a lot about 'pre-thinking', really helped my game. And then came KGV... :Smile_facepalm:

I put IFHE on the captain.... :Smile_trollface:

Players
4,894 posts
6,044 battles
11 hours ago, lafeel said:

To me, the ship was a surprisingly fun experience. As @BlackYeti stated, the ship has a good combination of concealment, HE and dpm and these are, imo, her greatest strengths. That is not to say it's an HE spammer, the AP is very workable, basically like Bismarck shells if they were short-fuze. People say the guns aren't very accurate, but they do have pretty average BB accuracy, so, it's not too bad, just not NC levels of accurate (but you at least get some shell speed). The HE comes handy when fighting DDs or when you have to deal wth targets that angle against you, allowing you to win most bow-in contests. Overall, the ship is maybe one of the least tanky T8 BBs, but when top tier it still is fine and when in T10, you still are one of the best support units, due to how many shells you can throw out and how close you can get to ambush cruisers at times. 

Almost 100% agree with this. Not sure if 406s alone would do the trick, but yeah.

4 hours ago, gopher31 said:

Does the QE give a different experience to the Warspite?

It does have better HE but with 380mm guns at T6 why would you use HE? Your AP overmatches everything.

Warspite has a better heal and better turret traverse.

QE has slightly better range.

The QE's shorter fuse time allows for fewer overpens on those tier 5 paper cruiser citadels.

Imo, QE mostly just frustrates you more than Warspite if you have it, due to turret traverse. 

Players
1,384 posts
245 battles

QE is decent, i loved the ship but my winrate is horrible 44% after around 100 games so i gave up and binned her.

The turret time though...wish she got as buff on turret traverse and maybe either secondaries or hp.

Players
1,400 posts
8,111 battles
5 hours ago, Cagliostro_chan said:

Imo, QE mostly just frustrates you more than Warspite if you have it, due to turret traverse. 

Jack Dunkirk helps. Or his brother Bert, with their enhanced Expert Marksman skill. Bert is available in the Armory for a few quid's worth of doubloons, and is worth trying if the ship is annoying you.

[NWP]
Players
4,905 posts
6,493 battles
17 hours ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Id say, you should play QE with AP tho. I really had good results with it.

Because of the shortfuse AP, i think its more crucial to target the right spot, especially on BBs. Can get some nice salvos, even if you dont get a Citadel. Where normal AP would just yield overpens. And the 381mm guns are really good too because of the overmatch (25mm plating).