You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kapnobathrac

How often do you find yourself in tight equal games?

51 comments in this topic

Players
2,843 posts
3,162 battles

You wanna know how bad? THIS is how bad... the whole oot hides behind an island or in  corner of the map.

And then I have to get into cap... in a LION... obviously game ends before I get any good score... :Smile_facepalm:

Oh man this is gonna be a long long grind to the Conqueror... and thereafter, back to T7 and never use it except in CB.

1886997227_Lion--1.thumb.jpg.56d511ec6542fe421db3a8125504bcce.jpg117082097_Lion--2.thumb.jpg.f86e7cea1a576b12f7a88eb6aa866564.jpg

Players
1,429 posts
8,125 battles

Not often, but those are the most memorable games.  I'm not sure they will come around too much in 0.8.2 - at the moment there are almost 2 CVs in every game and frequently they are the last men standing. Those close finishes where it's one DD vs one BB, there to be won with good play, seem to be over for the moment.

• Cool 1

Players
3,439 posts
7,997 battles

My last really tight game was yesterday when I took out my Pepsi (because I couldn't carry the potatoes with Alaska and lost 3 in a row even though I ended within the top 3 of my ahem.... "team" ... all of those games). Too bad our CV was spamming "Supply AA support" or something, I mean literally the entire game. In the end it was 2 vs 2 carriers and we won because our spammer CV managed to not die as the timer ran out.

Very very close (with some of my teammates very very close to losing their sanity due to the literally continuous and uninterrupted F-key spam).

[UNICS]
Players
277 posts
6,517 battles

Probably about 1 in 10 games or so, it's getting increasingly common that the game is already decided before the 10 minute mark and all that's left is either to mop up the remaining ships on the opposing team.......or be mopped up yourself.  

• Cool 1

[EUR]
Players
369 posts
4,099 battles

Eight members of a certain clan split up evenly between teams just threw a game, is this even legal?

[NWP]
Players
4,954 posts
6,514 battles
39 minutes ago, lossi_2018 said:

Eight members of a certain clan split up evenly between teams just threw a game, is this even legal?

Cant quite follow you... 4 in each team, and one side just yoloed in (or whatever they did)?

If so -> contact customer support with the replay. Then they can do something about it.

[AAO]
Players
2,010 posts
10,212 battles
On 4/6/2019 at 11:39 AM, MortenTardo said:

Either the enemy gets steamrolled or we lose DD kenny 1,2 and 3 within 5 minutes.

this

image.png.95dd2be81a4f077ee43c882eb16b8e4c.png

(times 3)

• Cool 1

Players
4,934 posts
6,082 battles
On 4/6/2019 at 5:57 AM, eliastion said:

If you don't believe me, you can try pitting two teams of bots against each other in Training Room - and watch the results. Most likely the matches will be much less balanced than one would expect from literally the same "players" in the same ships. It would be a fun little experiment, in fact, maybe I'll test it myself just for fun - although bots' lack of tactical thinking and strange love for mutual ramming might make things a bit messy :Smile_teethhappy:

...and you probably shouldn't include too many torp-equipped cruisers. This can escalate to friendly-fire carnage :Smile_sceptic:

Also, watch out for Bot 3. He's kinda special.

[EUR]
Players
369 posts
4,099 battles
1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

Cant quite follow you... 4 in each team, and one side just yoloed in (or whatever they did)?

If so -> contact customer support with the replay. Then they can do something about it.

after re-watching it six on our side 3 on theirs, our group stayed back behind island until our team wiped out (obviously since no one figured out till the very end what was happening) and then yoloed without clear reason to make it believable. It was strange but Im not vengeful and someone might have already sent the replay as it was commented in the chat. 

[WTFNO]
Players
315 posts
5,672 battles

Something like one in ten maybe. As said above, the snowballing effect makes them rather rare.

It might be faulty memory, but I think close matches happened more frequently at lower tiers.

Weaker ships, smaller snowballing ?

[BHSFL]
Players
1,429 posts
5,615 battles

In a CV that happens often to me, in other classes not.

In a CV i can sometimes even snatch the victory out of the hands on the enemy. CV late game have that power when the enemy failed to get near you so they cannot sink you in time, while you can sink them. I even cap with the CV when i feel i can get away with it. Even when i know there is a damaged  DD  hiding there, or there is an enemy CV around somewhere. A CV can go toe to toe with a damaged DD or another CV and win.

CV large hitpool, torpedo bulkheads, armour belt/citadel, aircraft and a whackload of secondary guns  can deal with that. It is a mistake to only use aircraft when you have more options.

[JRM]
Players
1,680 posts
15,566 battles

Never I am so bad team that gets me immediatly gets roflstomped

[ONE2]
Players
2,692 posts
15,347 battles
On 4/5/2019 at 8:56 PM, kapnobathrac said:

Losing streaks come and go as do winning streaks but how often do you find yourself in tight matches where it can go either way ? Honestly thats the reason I play,those matches are wonderful and I couldnt care less about winning if the matches where tight and you got a decent fight. However it seems like most battles on either one of the streaks either start with 5 of your ships down in a few minutes or 5 of the enemies§ down. A lot of matches seem predetermined in the first few minutes and thats boring as hell.

As for me, I had a loong and horrible losing streak during x-mas holidays, then a short but sweet winning streak immediately after but right now I've had a couple of serene weeks quite well balanced games, which I have enjoyed. Just waiting with some trepidation when the next "streak" begins and which one it's gonna be this time? :fish_nerv:

[-AP-]
Players
1,270 posts
3,370 battles

Honestly this is one thing i cant blame on wargaming, as the laws of probability arent exactly working in their favor here.

its 12vs12, if one played on team 1 dies, its 11vs12, wich means that theres a higher likelyhood that the next death will also be on team 1, because team 2 has more guns firing at less targets, so team 1 loses another player, now its 10vs12, even larger chance for next death to be team one since its now 12 guns vs 10 targets etc etc.

Basically its a snowball effect, which makes it incredibly difficult to create close matches. Its like trying to fly an aeroplane with tilted down wings, its unstable by concept, and no matter how straight and balanced you set off in it, it will want to flip on its back unless you constantly wrestle it for control.

• Cool 2

Players
1,063 posts
8,056 battles
1 hour ago, thiextar said:

Honestly this is one thing i cant blame on wargaming, as the laws of probability arent exactly working in their favor here.

its 12vs12, if one played on team 1 dies, its 11vs12, wich means that theres a higher likelyhood that the next death will also be on team 11, because team 2 has more guns firing at less targets, so team 1 loses another player, now its 10vs12, even larger chance for next death to be team one since its not 12 guns vs 10 targets etc etc.

Basically its a snowball effect, which makes it incredibly difficult to create close matches. Its like trying to fly an aeroplane with tilted down wings, its unstable by concept, and no matter how straight and balanced you set off in it, it will want to flip on its back unless you constantly wrestle it for control.

This is all true. Also, in real life circumstances, the losing team would disengage at the first signs of a fight snowballing against them. Here, we often fight to the end, no matter how pointless it is.

We tend to long for that nail-biter movie finish with the last handful of survivors going mano-a-mano to the bitter end. But real life just isn't conducive to such outcomes. (Still, they happen once in a while, and you should savour these games.)

• Cool 2

Players
2,843 posts
3,162 battles
14 hours ago, lossi_2018 said:

after re-watching it six on our side 3 on theirs, our group stayed back behind island until our team wiped out (obviously since no one figured out till the very end what was happening) and then yoloed without clear reason to make it believable. It was strange but Im not vengeful and someone might have already sent the replay as it was commented in the chat. 

With a 'similar' setup and two division (if you have similar setup, you always end up facing the other division). 

You can slaughter your mates and have a laugh (or they kill you). I dunno why you'd get 3 divisions though.

Players
2,843 posts
3,162 battles
6 hours ago, thiextar said:

its 12vs12, if one played on team 1 dies, its 11vs12, wich means that theres a higher likelyhood that the next death will also be on team 1, because team 2 has more guns firing at less targets, so team 1 loses another player, now its 10vs12, even larger chance for next death to be team one since its now 12 guns vs 10 targets etc etc.

Mate I've seen it we killed the single DD then killed 3 more and the 8-ship team still roflstomped the 12.

Unfortunately I'm usually in the 12... :Smile_trollface:

[BFS]
Beta Tester
484 posts
11 hours ago, thiextar said:

Its like trying to fly an aeroplane with tilted down wings, its unstable by concept, and no matter how straight and balanced you set off in it, it will want to flip on its back unless you constantly wrestle it for control.

They're called helicopters, the only thing keeping those flying is they're so ugly the earth rejects them.....

• Funny 1

[-AP-]
Players
1,270 posts
3,370 battles
2 minutes ago, Skurfa said:

They're called helicopters, the only thing keeping those flying is they're so ugly the earth rejects them.....

Not sure how you got a plane with a tilted down wing into a helicopter but sure... And yeah, helicopters are naturally unstable, but are kept prefectly stable by a brilliant little system. Basically you have a bar with weights in it that always wants to stay horisontal due to centrifugal forces, wich pulls the blades so they generate more or less lift, its brilliant in its simplicity :Smile_great:

• Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,446 posts
3,342 battles
2 minutes ago, thiextar said:

Not sure how you got a plane with a tilted down wing into a helicopter but sure... And yeah, helicopters are naturally unstable, but are kept prefectly stable by a brilliant little system. Basically you have a bar with weights in it that always wants to stay horisontal due to centrifugal forces, wich pulls the blades so they generate more or less lift, its brilliant in its simplicity :Smile_great:

Unless you don't have a tail rotor, or a second set turning the other way to counteract the spin.

[BFS]
Beta Tester
484 posts
Just now, lafeel said:

Unless you don't have a tail rotor, or a second set turning the other way to counteract the spin.

Yeah, sane people fly fixed wing :cap_cool:

Beta Tester
2,446 posts
3,342 battles
2 minutes ago, Skurfa said:

Yeah, sane people fly fixed wing :cap_cool:

Implying that flying is sane in the first place.:Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 2

[-AP-]
Players
1,270 posts
3,370 battles
1 minute ago, lafeel said:

Thats to counteract spin tho, the centrifugal system is to counteract unwanted roll/pitch.

Anyhow, getting a bit off topic ^^

• Cool 1

[TFVS]
[TFVS]
Players
11 posts
7,297 battles

Some close games but quite a few roflstomps in both directions.

Starting to wonder about the ability of some players. I am only an average player and when I division with my brother we have had quite a few games recently where we have played by our own admission well below our best and still find ourselves in the top three on our team. And yes ….. especially at weekends!!!