Server restart - 20/06/2019 Read more... ×
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kapnobathrac

How often do you find yourself in tight equal games?

51 comments in this topic

Players
66 posts

Losing streaks come and go as do winning streaks but how often do you find yourself in tight matches where it can go either way ? Honestly thats the reason I play,those matches are wonderful and I couldnt care less about winning if the matches where tight and you got a decent fight. However it seems like most battles on either one of the streaks either start with 5 of your ships down in a few minutes or 5 of the enemies§ down. A lot of matches seem predetermined in the first few minutes and thats boring as hell.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[NWP]
Players
1,410 posts
10,368 battles

Quite a bit at the moment, I've had a lot of close tight games. But this will all just be a confirmation bias thread as we all feel our games are different on an individual game to game basis. Hope you have fun games in the future fella :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
734 posts

Almost never. Usually steamroll

Beta Tester
2,505 posts
3,460 battles
39 minutes ago, kapnobathrac said:

Losing streaks come and go as do winning streaks but how often do you find yourself in tight matches where it can go either way ? Honestly thats the reason I play,those matches are wonderful and I couldnt care less about winning if the matches where tight and you got a decent fight. However it seems like most battles on either one of the streaks either start with 5 of your ships down in a few minutes or 5 of the enemies§ down. A lot of matches seem predetermined in the first few minutes and thats boring as hell.

A lot more often than most people would think you'd be when playing against the pve bots. Usually due to these "you don't need tactics in co-op!!111" muppets.

Players
1,716 posts
245 battles

Ive had at least 10min the past two days for some reason, almost filling my knickers while being the last one alive. Against a few enemies.

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,437 posts
9,463 battles

WTF is a 'tight equal game'? Does that answer your question?

[EUR]
Players
370 posts
4,103 battles

almost never, just constant lose

• Funny 1

[AAO]
Players
2,057 posts
10,399 battles

probably around one percent. Two if I'm generous.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,486 posts
11,455 battles
8 hours ago, kapnobathrac said:

WoWs isn't a good game if you're hoping for "tight matches" - the game mechanics inherently support snowballing. Putting it simply: gaining advantage makes it easier to gain even more advantage. If you kill a ship, the enemy has less guns shooting back. If you manage to push on one flank, the enemy needs to retreat or risks getting into crossfire - again, your tactical advantage breeds more tactical advantage, forcing enemy out of cover and allowing the winning team to secure more of the map. Sure, there are some comebacks (usually more like throws by the winning team, though) but the general rule is that if a team starts winning, it will continue to win ever harder until the end of the match. Local advantage on one flank can quickly escalate to global advantage over the entire map. Putting it simply: WoWs is a game where even perfectly mirrored teams, with players of equal skill can end up with crushing victories going one way or the other.

If you don't believe me, you can try pitting two teams of bots against each other in Training Room - and watch the results. Most likely the matches will be much less balanced than one would expect from literally the same "players" in the same ships. It would be a fun little experiment, in fact, maybe I'll test it myself just for fun - although bots' lack of tactical thinking and strange love for mutual ramming might make things a bit messy :Smile_teethhappy:

...and you probably shouldn't include too many torp-equipped cruisers. This can escalate to friendly-fire carnage :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 3

[H_FAN]
Players
2,098 posts
27,076 battles

What is a tight and fun game? it is a question of definition also.

How long does it take for a game to snowball or so. At the end a 5 vs 0 ships left game can seemed to be uneven but it might well have been close in 10 minutes and then by a simple mistake a key figure makes a mistake , a lucky/skilful shot/salvo or so makes that flank collapse and so on. 

If we count extremely close games that have been wins by say 1000-995 or by a single ship sinking in the closing stages (or surviving) it is a few %, but if we are more generous and say games that are undecided albeit with an advantage taht you do not feel it iis hopeless to turn forat least 2/3 of the game it is far more.

But @eliastion  above has already explained why, and I and several others have made similar comments from the beginning of Wows forum in threads like this.

The snowball effect is unavoidable, for me steamrolls happens but OK games are the majority = not many games are hopeless, and if they are they are over quickly.

[PC]
Players
252 posts

one in ten, at best, these days. probably 50% of the time in the golden days of this game.

[SCRUB]
Players
1,597 posts
13,602 battles

Pretty much never. Either the enemy gets steamrolled or we lose DD kenny 1,2 and 3 within 5 minutes. Then BB Bob usually die right after and Cruiser Kevin gets blapped cuz he is a dumbass sailing broadside. 

Game over. 

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
Players
518 posts
12,055 battles

Can't 'remember when was the last time I had close call game, with randoms that is

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles

People define a result that you'd basicly extremely rarely expect to see as a "close game" and then proceeds to be surprised you never see it.

Players
45 posts
4,900 battles

1/7 are losing streaks .  I'm killing my 50% WR by now...

[UNICS]
Players
30 posts
1,034 battles

In the few games I had so far, literally never. Either the game is decided in the first few minutes by people already being dead, far away from any action and in the worst case even afk, or the game is decided in the last few minutes but could not have been considered close at any point given before.

Players
277 posts
8,161 battles
3 hours ago, Gudgeon said:

one in ten, at best, these days. probably 50% of the time in the golden days of this game.

What changed? I've played for about three years and haven't noticed a real difference. Also, I can't think of a change in the game that would cause steamrolls more frequently. 

I get close games frequently enough, and wouldn't play otherwise. In mid-to-high tiers perhaps 10 %, although it depends on your definition of "close". Many clear wins and losses were close until one side faced a cascading failure. It's difficult to turn the tide -- It's the nature of the game. 

[WONLY]
Players
279 posts
11,363 battles

One out of ten i guess. Domination mode really needs to be replaced. Not because it's a bad mode but this playerbase is too "special" for this mode.