You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Mydgard

Impossible play with DD after this CV rework

435 comments in this topic

[HHRHA]
Players
180 posts
10,581 battles

I didn't write anything yet, because I accept changes usually, but now I have to say, impossible play with a DD against 2 enemy CV what is very usual. I think developers of WG didn't think it seriously it was flurry insert to the game.: they castrated the DD shiptype. 

I suggest think it again very quickly.

• Cool 14
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5
  • Angry 1

[-I-N-]
Beta Tester
3,303 posts
5,736 battles

no

Edit.

ok now I have read what you wrote

Well just as they castrated them with radar or cstrated the Cv back in the day with Mino or US CL line?

CV are still far less potent gainst DD's then pre rework. I'd say about 90% less potent.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[HHRHA]
Players
180 posts
10,581 battles
1 minute ago, Colonel_Boom said:

I could kill DDs in one run pre rework.

Now I'm on permanent spot and cannot spot, cannot cap ergo I'm totally effectless.

• Cool 8
  • Bad 3

[NWP]
Players
4,633 posts
6,363 battles
2 minutes ago, Colonel_Boom said:

I could kill DDs in one run pre rework.

Atleast it was over then...

Slowly dieing without being able to do anything is much more unfun actually.

Couple of days ago while playing Orion:

- Phoenix had used DCP, my division Orion broke his rudder -> Phoenix kept running in circles.

- After he repaired it again, i shot another volley into him, breaking his Rudder and Engine again. He was just a sitting duck waiting to die.

Its terrible and unfun to play against something like this (i was in a state of lauhging and feeling sorry for that guy), CVs are on the same level. They keep coming, and coming, and coming, and coming.

RTS CVs needed several minutes to get back with a full strike force, which gave you the opportunity to do something. Or your own CV shielded you right away from the enemy planes :Smile_ohmy:

• Cool 13

[FJAKA]
Players
1,330 posts
327 battles
14 minutes ago, Mydgard said:

I suggest think it again very quickly.

didnt you hear? balancing is over, things stay as they are.

P.s.

2 CV per match is beyond stupid decision

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,040 posts
9,874 battles

It's not impossible. It's just not that fun and requires a whole lot of patience. Double CV games are the worst but that's not going to change. WG have stated that they are here to say as I imagine it would mean that they would have to admit the rework wasn't as well done as they have hoped. IJN stealth boats have been hit the hardest especially as their AA is none existent unless you get CV that has no clue.   

It's all about late game capping or killing for DD's in CV games now. In the high tiers it's not now uncommon for there to be only 1 DD in game. Saw a lot of that over the weekend in T9/10. Must be what WG wanted. I'm sure BB players are happier at least. So there is that...... 

• Cool 4

[ISG]
Players
32 posts
4,447 battles

CVs had to be allowed to play with the other kids it was only fair,unfortunately we all got to play their game now low AA DDs dont really have much of a place anymore,new game or play something else is the only choice it seems.Im mainly playing cruisers now still fun to be had just a bit disapointing after grinding the low AA DDs line only to have them sat redundant in port.

[JRM]
Players
1,551 posts
15,081 battles

1. Kit out lexi for random

2. Press Battle - see some weak aa dds on enemy roster

3. MMMM, bend over baby

• Funny 6

[CATS]
Players
16,363 posts
11,328 battles
17 minutes ago, Mydgard said:

Now I'm on permanent spot and cannot spot, cannot cap ergo I'm totally effectless.

Go someplace else, planes cannot be everywhere.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

Players
614 posts

CV's attacking your DD in most cases is not lethal per say, unless they are exceptionally skilled. Even my Asashio could just survive a pesky CV focusing on me. Sure I was taking damage, but on the other hand all that attention was off my team mates so I was 'doing something' in a way. Also, IMO the biggest threat that comes from CVs is detection if there are enemy cruisers, skilled BBs or DDs in range to shoot at you in which case it's game over very quickly. At least with the latest update CV's should no longer be able to RDF you like they used to.

Radar is a much more potent threat because you get easily caught with your bloomers down, as it were. Radar usually means game over, whereas in the game where there were two CV's and on I think both were focusing on me at different times (thankfully!) we had a quick nice battle and an easy win (tier 8 being top tier).

It's all very situational, based on luck and the enemy skill (and your own, of course).

• Cool 2

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,423 posts
9,417 battles
28 minutes ago, _Ezio_ said:

no

Edit.

ok now I have read what you wrote

Well just as they castrated them with radar or cstrated the Cv back in the day with Mino or US CL line?

CV are still far less potent gainst DD's then pre rework. I'd say about 90% less potent.

It may take several runs to kill you, but problem is everything else kills you because you're almost permaspotted....moots the point of even playing a dd. I mentioned it before that WG need to stop thinking on a micro level of a 1v1 scenario and start focussing a little more on the bigger picture....dd gameplay even with one cv usually renders stealth inconsequential.

• Cool 9

[-I-N-]
Beta Tester
3,303 posts
5,736 battles
1 hour ago, Shaka_D said:

Problem is everything else kills you because you're almost permaspotted....moots the point of even playing a dd

but you are not permaspotted... not unless you make mistakes..

Edit:

Community: OH no he stated a fact I do not like down with him!

Me an intelectaul: Somehow this reminds me of the Brexit and Trumps referendum/election campain. :Smile_trollface:

• Bad 3

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles
32 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

It's all about late game capping or killing for DD's in CV games now. In the high tiers it's not now uncommon for there to be only 1 DD in game. Saw a lot of that over the weekend in T9/10.

This is true. Rush to a cap after match start and and find yourself under air attack, and spotted to be fired at by any enemy in range.

To my surprise this morning is saw all DD for several T IX-X matches specificly NOT do that and last much longer. Caps were fought over uncapped and finally capped by the side ending up with with local supriority. Some of the DD  ended up in the upper regions of the results screen, and ending the match afloat. So they seemed not to be handicapped by not rushing to caps at all, rather benefitted from not doing that but doing more score-worthy stuff. Staying alive has the habit of being able to do more damage, right ?

• Cool 3

[CZWSM]
[CZWSM]
Players
294 posts
14,395 battles
4 minutes ago, HoJSimpson said:

Play Khabarovsk.
You will be Spotted all the time anyways.

He wants to play destroyers, not superlight cruiser without citadel... :)

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,148 posts
8,729 battles

Im a DD Main and I have pretty much stopped playing my favourite class, why even bother. It was a struggle before with all the ships radars, hydros, spotterplanes, other DDs etc etc. and now also be permaspotted and dropped by CVs and usually even 2 CVs?!?! I dont care about the [edited] argument that "You only have to disengage you AA and then you are invisible" No you are not!! They will spot you first time they fly over you and then they just drop their fighters overhead that you cant shoot down and they just Blap and Blap and BLAP you over and over until your dead.

They dont even have to have skill since they just can keep on doing it until it sticks. And when that squadron is empty they just launch a new with other armament and go after you again. "DDs are hard to find"? Try circeling the caps! Or scout in fron of the fleet!

Im a pretty good player that usually can carry my team pretty hard in a DD, but when I cant go anywhere alone without trying to convince 3-4 random players to follow me as bodyguards im pretty limited. Had a game in my T-61 yesterday where i was about to win a loosing game for my team by sailing around getting all the caps. Managed to dodge a couple of strikes with my AA and smoke but he (the low tier 5 CV) just kept on coming and striking me so finally I died and there was nothing else I could have done in that match to change the outcome.

These days I usually only play Minotaur and Wooster because the AA protection. Sometimes I play Grozovoi, but then I usually dont even go for caps, I just try and farm damage like everyone else in T10.

I wouldnt have a problem with CV rework if WG just took away domination gamemode all together and just have standard battle, then even the DDs could just hide in tha back with everyone else, but how fun would that be?

DDs are dead.

• Cool 10
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,540 posts
6,887 battles
1 hour ago, Mydgard said:

You were permanent spotted before pre-rework as well

- Divebomber with out bomb load were faster than planes now with normal speed

- The concealment against aircraft was worse before the rework

- 4-7 squads, who could spot you, instead of one.

You AA is off, right?

Getting downvoted for facts :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2

Players
42 posts
3,199 battles
Vor 4 Minuten, Max_Kammerer sagte:

He wants to play destroyers, not superlight cruiser without citadel... :)

Fair Point :D
To be Honest. I never liked to play DDs.... those Superlight Dakka Dakka DDs tho.... i love em .

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,423 posts
9,417 battles
16 minutes ago, _Ezio_ said:

'Unless you make mistakes'? Pffff.....I'm not sure what to say to that remark, it's an incredibly overly simplistic view to see the issue as simply a mistake on the part of the player, lool. It certainly can be the cause in some cases, even a lot of cases, but to explain it away as a player mistake is not good enough.

Once there were fewer cv's playing, now there are a whole lot of cv's in the mm lineup these days. I've gone more games with cv's lately that none and where it was tolerable before, now playing a dd means I'm certainly going to stay spotted most of the game. Add to this radar and hydro and the dd class is on its way out, especially those ships whose torpedo ranges are too short and who need to rely on their guns.

• Cool 5

Players
154 posts
803 battles
Vor 1 Stunde, Mydgard sagte:

Then adept to the given parameters. Simple as that.

Who is capable will experience almost no decrease in contribution to the outcome of the game, no reduced damage/kills/winrate/capping/spotting.

Plus you get the bonus of shredding 25 planes against unexperienced CV captains.

last 21 days (solo & dd only)

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.b577d70703b115ed2ee2e3d4b4bc9112.png

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Beta Tester
1,148 posts
8,729 battles
26 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

They cant? I think they can fly all over the map. But usually they dont have to, just fly around the caps or in front of the fleet and the DDs cant really do much. "Pop smoke"? No problem, I come back in a minute, or I just drop you in the smoke or torp smoke, or drop my fighters overhead that your silly AA will never kill of. If you sail with AA off he will fly over and spot you and drop fighters thats perma spots you, and he can drop you over and over again....

9 minutes ago, _Ezio_ said:

You mean mistakes like choosing to play DD or mistakes like chosing to try and go for the objective that is forced upon DD players from WG, just like CVs. 

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

[HEATH]
Players
131 posts
12,779 battles
14 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

U cant in 2 cv per team game.  From the usual 4 dd per team now is 1 maybe 2 dds, both CVs are focusing u  and even if i play a good AA DD, all game i stay to run and fight the planes. No cap, no spotting, no fun to play DD. One Cv is manageable, but 2, with so fast returning time, no. And yes i win games with 2 CV per team playing DD and finishing top  in score board. But after that i exit game.. I dont have any problem play DD vs radars, hydro's, 1 CV. I have vs 2 CV's....They want to make a new DD line, the french one... good luck with it in a game with 2 CV's per team.

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,320 posts
5,108 battles

With aircraft I will never go near a DD that is under the AA screen of a Cruiser(s) or Battleship(s).

That is all that needs to be said to anyone who thinks he will always be spotted and  killed by aircraft in a DD.

Death is just the penalty for detaching yourself from your allies formation and be too far ahead solo. Destroyers are a fleet screening force, but not a solo force. In fact no ship is....

The fact that DD are nearly always among my kills is simply that they are alone, far removed from protective heavy AA of allied ships. This is an universal  law of nature : attack what is weak, avoid what is strong.

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
594 posts
3,314 battles
32 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Yes, this great advice! Go somewhere else, not so clever DD. With those 38 knots you can easily avoid those planes. /s

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 1