You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Beastofwar

How do you use a 4 km torpedo range DD ?

33 comments in this topic

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

There seem to be many experts here so maybe they can enlighten me on how to use a 4 km range torpedo boat. Ofcourse the Russian ones.

I tried a number of tactics with them but they never excel in any of them, except against bot piloted ships in Operations. Human BB players usually see you coming and blow you away, despite the high speed and really narrow frontal surface area to hit, far out of range of your torpedo's. Cruisers kill you when you try burn down targets with your poppy guns from smoke. And close quarters fights against other DD these DD seem to not hold any real edge, nor do i like that edgy playstyle as you could be sinking 2 min from match start.

So what to do with these tubs ? I am unsuccesful with them except in Operations mainly as gunboats. If you cannot utter more then L2P or gid gut please refrain from reacting. I wish to receive useful advice.

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,203 posts
10,037 battles

Forget that they exist. Seriously. They rely on gun power and virtually nothing else. The only times you can rely on the torps are if you manage to ambush someone around an island, someone rushes your smoke or you YOLO. So in very specific 1/100 situations basically.

So focus on the guns with skills and modules and forget you have torpedoes.

• Cool 8

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,771 posts
6,330 battles

You use your primary weapon, your guns. Those torpedoes are useful for emergencies, nothing more.

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
25 minuti fa, Beastofwar ha scritto:

torpedo boat.

Found the problem! Russian DDs are gun-boats: slap a captain with Demolition Expert and Advanced Fire Training, press W key 4 times at the start of the match and burn everything with HE :cap_rambo:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 4

[CATS]
Players
30,129 posts
15,452 battles
15 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

There seem to be many experts here so maybe they can enlighten me on how to use a 4 km range torpedo boat. Ofcourse the Russian ones.

I tried a number of tactics with them but they never excel in any of them, except against bot piloted ships in Operations. Human BB players usually see you coming and blow you away, despite the high speed and really narrow frontal surface area to hit, far out of range of your torpedo's. Cruisers kill you when you try burn down targets with your poppy guns from smoke. And close quarters fights against other DD these DD seem to not hold any real edge, nor do i like that edgy playstyle as you could be sinking 2 min from match start.

So what to do with these tubs ? I am unsuccesful with them except in Operations mainly as gunboats. If you cannot utter more then L2P or gid gut please refrain from reacting. I wish to receive useful advice.

• go for the BB players that claim on the forum BB have no chance vs DD rushing them, they are easy prey :Smile_izmena:
  • otherwise it is best to use them in ambush situations
    • that means using islands for cover and "stealth" torp that way (that works vs all ships types)
    • or rush the BB from behind that island when the BB turned his turrets elsewhere

Players
10,361 posts
12,044 battles

Q: How to use 4km torps on Russian destroyer?

A: You don't. You have one of the best guns for a reason.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

Players
3,672 posts
14,325 battles

Simple. You don’t, it’s not hard to work that out when they have monstrous guns for a reason.

They are purely for self defence. And if you get lucky ambushing from round islands or when something tries to push you in smoke. Not that you should ever be sitting still in smoke in the first place. 

• Cool 2

Players
853 posts
907 battles

With 4k torps you have to play pop out from behind an island. Alternately, fire them from a smoke screen. They can be utilized. Ru DD Guns, in general, however, are the primary weapon.

[WTFNO]
Players
667 posts
11,772 battles

Basically what everyone said. Forget about torpedoes and concealment and play pure gunboat at max range.

Pick AFT instead of CE, BFT, DE, engine special mod, and engage targets at your max range, taking advantage of the very flat arcs. Cycle targets to spread fires, finish DDs or low hp ships.

Don't go contest caps against other DDs that will always outspot you (you can however support your friendly DDs, staying a few km behind them).

Seek open spaces where you can use your speed and agility to dodge return fire. Tanking 500k or even 1M dmg is common in a good game.

One thing though. You'll really need to learn to dodge :D

• Cool 2

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,771 posts
6,330 battles
5 minutes ago, AmiralPotato said:

One thing though. You'll really need to learn to dodge :D

To be fair this applies to every DD, not just the gunboats.

• Cool 3

[WTFNO]
Players
667 posts
11,772 battles
2 minutes ago, lafeel said:

To be fair this applies to every DD, not just the gunboats.

Sure, but in a stealthy torpboat you can try to not be detected at all :D

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

Thank you for your advice, but i wonder how 130 mm/1800 He dmg 4,5 sec reload it so much bteer then 127 mm/1700 HE dmg 3 sec reload ?  And then there will be the French DD with 139.? mm ( Aigle has 139 mm ) and the Germans with even 150 mm which seem to be balanced by reload times mainly.

Does this will still hold true ?

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,771 posts
6,330 battles
4 minutes ago, AmiralPotato said:

Sure, but in a stealthy torpboat you can try to not be detected at all :D

Try is the watch word there. Also, let's not forget that knowing when you can safely fire and when you can not is something you must learn to play gunboat DD's.

3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Thank you for your advice, but i wonder how 130 mm/1800 He dmg 4,5 sec reload it so much bteer then 127 mm/1700 HE dmg 3 sec reload ?  And then there will be the French DD with 139.? mm and the Germans with even 150 mm....

The German destroyers are more hybrids thanks to their longer ranged torps. Not sure about the French, yet.

[KAKE]
Players
2,789 posts
6,795 battles
26 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Thank you for your advice, but i wonder how 130 mm/1800 He dmg 4,5 sec reload it so much bteer then 127 mm/1700 HE dmg 3 sec reload ? 

One word: ballistics.

• Cool 1

[-OOF-]
Beta Tester
2,203 posts
10,037 battles
4 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

One word: ballistics.

And fire chance and AP penetration.

• Cool 1

[FABER]
[FABER]
Players
617 posts
6,307 battles
38 minuti fa, Beastofwar ha scritto:

Thank you for your advice, but i wonder how 130 mm/1800 He dmg 4,5 sec reload it so much bteer then 127 mm/1700 HE dmg 3 sec reload ?  And then there will be the French DD with 139.? mm ( Aigle has 139 mm ) and the Germans with even 150 mm which seem to be balanced by reload times mainly.

Try to hit something at 12-13km with those 127 or 139mm and you’ll see how good are the russian 130mm in comparison :Smile_coin:

[WTFNO]
Players
667 posts
11,772 battles
47 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

56 minutes ago, AmiralPotato said:

and engage targets at your max range, taking advantage of the very flat arcs

:D

• Funny 1

[IDDQD]
Alpha Tester
3,449 posts
10,768 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Its a hint from the developers.

Its telling you that DDs with such torpedoes are not DDs at all.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,545 posts
18,883 battles

Really you only use them when you're cornered. Russian torpedoes are fast and they hit very hard but trying to close the range in normal play is likely to result in being destroyed. If you can force an opponent to have to rush your smoke, though, then you can zip out and obliterate them. Doesn't happen often, fun when it does. But yes, these are mostly gunboats with great speed and very hard hitting AP (they will make cruisers, and even BBs, cry).

Players
6,058 posts
12,094 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

How do you use a 4 km torpedo range DD ?

You play them just like you play any other DD these days, you yolo! :cap_like:

And when you die you blame radar/CV/no support! :Smile-_tongue:

• Funny 1

[BBMM]
Players
6,785 posts
9,607 battles
3 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

I quite like them.... sometimes I am very good with them, usually not though.

I tried a number of tactics with them but they never excel in any of them, except against bot piloted ships in Operations.

Human BB players usually see you coming and blow you away, despite the high speed and really narrow frontal surface area to hit, far out of range of your torpedo's.

You should NOT fire at BBS (or cruisers) where they can see you. 

Ideally, you sit 'in hiding' and rain fire on the BB, and they never see you.

Then when you have him down < 50% health you YOLO RUSH HIM and finish him off.

Cruisers kill you when you try burn down targets with your poppy guns from smoke.

Yeah they do. Treat thim similar to BBs, but they are MORE dangerous than BBs,

and they do not deliver the same points, and they burn less, so I tend to avoid them like the plague.

HIGHER TIER USSR DDs though, cn hit cruisers HARD. Even at T6... remember Leander, Fiji... hit the citadel with AP.

Oh and the lower tier 'spongeboats' are of course fair game too. Stay away though from Furutaka and such.

And close quarters fights against other DD these DD seem to not hold any real edge, nor do i like that edgy playstyle as you could be sinking 2 min from match start.

That's the risk, but THAT is where they shine. They are really good DD killers. 

Don't play them though if you're not fast-thinking (no-thinking is better than thinking too long though).... 

In Operations they can be VERY good, because some of them send out SH..LOADS of torpedoes.

And the bots are stupid enough to allow you to get near... 

Beta Tester
5,566 posts
22,154 battles
  1. go full speed
  2. do lots of dakka dakka dakka at everything in range
  3. don't use smoke - it's for pansies
  4. wiggle your donkey backside like a cheap female of negotiable affection
  5. when you're close enough release the kraken... or the toepedoes.. whatever is available
  6. ?
  7. winrar!

There once was a video somewhere in which this was shown and called "going full russian". Worked great with the old T5 Gnevny...