You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Leo_Apollo11

Do you still use BFT & AFT on your ships (regarding free Commander re-spec in upcoming WoWs v0.8.2)?

30 comments in this topic

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,925 posts
18,229 battles

Hi all,

Do you still use BFT & AFT on your ships (regarding free Commander re-spec in upcoming WoWs v0.8.2)?

I had AFT on most of my cruisers but I will remove it in WoWs v0.8.2 because the AA effect is simply not worth it IMHO (I left it after WoWs v0.8.x just in case)! :Smile_sad:

Therefore my one and only captain with BFT & AFT will remain the 19-point fully secondary specced commander of "Großer Kurfürst" (and "Tirpitz" / "Scharnhorst" / "Prinz Eitel Friedrich" / "König Albert")... :Smile_Default:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Small clarification - I was asking regarding BFT & AFT mainly in light of AA benefit for CAs/CLs/BBs and not about gunboat DDs (which are class of their own).

• Cool 2

[CATS]
Players
30,129 posts
15,452 battles

On ships were I chose AFT just for AA, I will remove it on most ships.

On ships were I chose BFT just for AA, I will probably keep it, maybe even increase the number of ships with BFT.

• Cool 7
  • Bad 1

Players
3,390 posts
11,834 battles
4 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

On ships were I chose BFT just for AA, I will probably keep it, maybe even increase the number of ships with BFT.

This ^^

[-TPF-]
Players
4,545 posts
18,883 battles

To be honest AFT is the second or third choice Tier IV skill for most ships (CE and IFHE come first) and the only ship I have it on is Atlanta. BFT is still pretty standard, though.

[LAZY]
[LAZY]
Players
44 posts

Hi
I have BFT & AFT on all my secondary specced BB-captains (Germans + Massachusetts)
+ on  my Atlanta (Cleveland) captain (PT, PM, AR, BFT, AFT, IFHE and CE).

Bald_Rookie

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,113 battles
52 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

same here pretty much

Players
1,278 posts
9,963 battles

I first look at whether the main guns benefit of AFT or BFT and go with that. For DD's this generally means BFT alone.

I might take AFT alone if the ship also has fairly useful long-range secondaries -- in this I take AFT to help both AA and secondaries.

I haven't yet done the analysis on ships which only take the skills for AA. BFT is straightforward if you have anything resembling a reasonable AA DPS (though +10% kinda seems questionable for 3 points in many cases). It seems to me like there's a synergy between AA Mod 1 and AFT, with the first increasing the number of flak explosions, and AFT then making the explosions more damaging.

For ships with very strong focus on AA/secondaries/small-caliber main guns, it's obviously both.

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
4,925 posts
18,229 battles

Hi all,

1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

But is 10% "Continuous AA" increase really worth 3 points of skill for BFT?

Leo "Apollo11"

• Cool 3

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
1,030 posts

I went BFT on ships I had to choose.

I will swap most of my BBs over to AFT for the simple reason of longer range secondaries.

CA/CLs have BFT and AFT.

But honestly, I feel the Whole AA is a RNG fubar fest.

Had a Monty game were my AA bare shot anything down, and the next game I had 39 planekills.

• Cool 2

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
5,037 posts
22,358 battles

I have already removed AFT from most ships, but I'm going to remove both it and BFT from my remaining captains, with the exception where the skills have use for their non-AA effect.

Right now both skills offer a 1p value for a 3p & 4p cost. AFT is really bad as an increase in the flak burst damage means nothing if the CV player dodges it.

I have noticed that investing heavily into AA is uneconomical after the rework, as skilled CV players can just evade your AA and wreck you, also the low survivability of most AA mounts make AA useless anyway after taking some HE hits.

• Cool 2

[CHEFT]
Players
12,440 posts
9,841 battles

I think BFT might be worth it

AFT is totaly not tho. Good players dodge flak, thats why increase in flak burst damage is extremely useless.

Manual AA seems to be the go-to skill, i might change that on some ships with the respec. Tried it only once on Alaska, with DefAA active -> planes died almost instantly :Smile_teethhappy: In order to protect you from good CV players, you have to pump the continous damage as high as possible.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
1,030 posts
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

I think BFT might be worth it

AFT is totaly not tho. Good players dodge flak, thats why increase in flak burst damage is extremely useless.

Manual AA seems to be the go-to skill, i might change that on some ships with the respec. Tried it only once on Alaska, with DefAA active -> planes died almost instantly :Smile_teethhappy: In order to protect you from good CV players, you have to pump the continous damage as high as possible.

But but but, I want longer range secondaries on my Monty and Yama…...lol

I have BFT on both captains.

[H_FAN]
Players
2,751 posts
46,440 battles
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

To be honest AFT is the second or third choice Tier IV skill for most ships (CE and IFHE come first) and the only ship I have it on is Atlanta. BFT is still pretty standard, though.

Question is can it be wiser to take the combination of JOT/High Alert on BBs that are not so interesting in secondaries? It is 4p each choice.

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
1,030 posts
1 hour ago, invicta2012 said:

IFHE is for me a purely gun based Choice. I don't run that on many ships at all.

[-TPF-]
Players
4,545 posts
18,883 battles
39 minutes ago, SirAmra said:

IFHE is for me a purely gun based Choice. I don't run that on many ships at all.

I think it comes from mostly playing DDs and Cruisers of late. But even then AFT might go by the board if I thought a lower Tier skill more useful (SI/SE, quite a lot of time on DDs).

Players
6,058 posts
12,094 battles

I'm also considering removing AFT from nearly all my ships except Atlanta (which shares a captain with my Wooster, but I might end up splitting that captain up) and a few other ships that have some other benefit from this skill. But I haven't really looked at the skill reset yet except that I will be doing a lot of skill resetting :cap_book:

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
5 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

But is 10% "Continuous AA" increase really worth 3 points of skill for BFT?

Leo "Apollo11"

Usually, on ships where I had BFT before, I had the points to spare and prior to CV rework it also only was a 10% increase in AA damage. It isn't much, but on ships like Minotaur, I'd keep it. Also obviously on DDs with decent guns.

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,933 posts
8,398 battles

Before CV rework I used AA skills on some ships.

Now I never pick AA skills and cant notice a meaningfull impact if I ever try them out.

Its just weird how terrible the current AA skills are, no matter how much you invest its not gonna stop CVs getting 1-3 drops off or keep you spotted long enough to pay dearly.

• Cool 1

[ZEN]
Players
1,406 posts
14,668 battles

Gonna swap out the AFT on my cruisers for Manual AA, and on the BBs for FP, unless of course a secondary build, will also keep it on ships where it improves gun range...

As for BFT it is mostly on either Secondary builds and gunboat DDs so that will probably stay as is...

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

Use them on all ships as it strenghtens both AA and secondary batteries.

Quite some amount of forum members seem to think secondary batteries are not worth putting points into, especially not if they have a short stock range. Ofcourse i can understand that line of reasoning.

But secondary batteries were THE real life counter measure to torpedo boats and destroyers. In historic battles and clashes torpedo boats and destroyers could only advance if these secondary guns were knocked out sufficiently by larger ships.

I respect everones opinion, but mine is i want my secondary batteries as effective as they can be. It would be a costly choice were it not it synergizes with bolstered AA. With both of these buffed defences are as strong as they can be. I want/need that more the some more hitpoints or one more heal/consumable.

Btw : I lose much less aircraft lately.......i can only assume this is because these talents are being abandoned. I am happy with that as lost aircraft cost a lot of credits.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,788 posts
21,338 battles

Used BFT & AFT on pretty much all my cruisers pre-rework as well. Removed AFT on all (except Atlanta for obvious reasons) during the initial respec offer because I already knew it has become worthless thanks to TST and PTS. Against CVs that fly into flak you won't need AFT to kill their planes. Against CVs that can actually dodge AFT doesn't do anything.

If you want a 4-pointer against aircraft, pick MAA and use the sector mechanic.

BFT maintains usefulness because it buffs DPS which is always applied no matter how skilled the enemy CV is, thus I've kept it.

• Cool 4

Players
853 posts
907 battles

Has anyone noticed how the FARCE CV rework has created a major & continuing cluster f*** ?  (pardon my grammar)

So, now, another mass Cpt skill reset.

We Forumites & those with brains will alter their Cpt skill builds accordingly but how many won't have a clue?

This whole reworked CV FARCE is nothing but a great BIG WG FAIL and this second Cpt skill reset proves it.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,170 posts
12,764 battles
8 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

I had AFT on most of my cruisers but I will remove it in WoWs v0.8.2 because the AA effect is simply not worth it IMHO (I left it after WoWs v0.8.x just in case)! :Smile_sad:

Therefore my one and only captain with BFT & AFT will remain the 19-point fully secondary specced commander of "Großer Kurfürst" (and "Tirpitz" / "Scharnhorst" / "Prinz Eitel Friedrich" / "König Albert")... :Smile_Default:

Leo "Apollo11"

P.S.

Small clarification - I was asking regarding BFT & AFT mainly in light of AA benefit for CAs/CLs/BBs and not about gunboat DDs (which are class of their own).

I think I only use AFT on a few of my DDs actually like Harugumo and Grozovoi for the range on the guns and the extra AA power is just gravy.

On my light and heavy cruisers I use mostly CE and maybe IFHE. BFT I dont think I use on any ship. Rather pick Superintendent,  Demo exp for cruisers and SE and DE for DDs (also Superintendent).

For my GK I go with the full tankbuild, no secondary specs.

Players
804 posts

BFT if it boost the main guns and AA then, YES

BFT if only for AA then NOPE

AFT to boost 2ndary for mostly german BBs YES (havent really played german BBs since release of 0.8.0 cause RANGE is the name of the game).

AFT to boost AA? NOPE, nope nope nope.

AFT to Atlanta, yes.

AA too RNG no point to boost it just because AA.

Players
3,163 posts
18,277 battles
12 hours ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

What respec, am i missing something? Are we talking about a respec because of the new CB season or a separate one? (i dont see or trl+F anything in the 0.8.2. patchnotes)