You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Systergummi

After death retaliation from CVs

52 comments in this topic

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles

Despite all the CV-whine threads I havent seen this discussed, so I figured why not make a thread.

I had a game this morning... It was decent. Could have been better though.

It went as could be expected with 2 CVs (lucky me one was only t6), at the start constant harassment from planes. I did however survive, take B-cap, kill some ships contesting it. Then while hunting BBs in their spawn I got pretty close to the enemy Lex hiding behind a rock. He really shouldnt let an enemy DD sneak up whithin 5km from him, so devstrike... Just as with any other shipclass not paying attention should hurt. The problem with post rework CVs in this respect is that they seem to be able to keep flying their planes as long as they have strikes left and can keep pumping out consumable fighters. In the old days they could designate a target and go auto-drop. Planes from dead ships would also loiter around where they were when their master was lost. Im fine with that... But after screwing up and getting killed the Lex could effectively lock me down and keep me from killing the NC and Furious. Yes I survived by dodgeing but was spotted the whole time and had to constantly maneuver.

So how about preventing CVs from dropping offspring post death and giving them a fixed time window 30-60sec to carry out their last strike and I vote for one last strike.

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for listening.

Ps. Whiny DD-main Ds.

World of Warships 2019-03-29 09_28_58_LI.jpg

World of Warships 2019-03-29 09_29_01.png

World of Warships 2019-03-29 09_29_07_LI.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

Players
119 posts
10,038 battles

Cv has a 2 minute window to use his squad which is in the air or until he use or loose all his planes...whichever comes first...in RL it usualy last up to 1 minute...so it is not an big deal....every class has something you have stealth and smoke dd has planes...

• Cool 1

Players
2,699 posts
11,390 battles

If that is the case your torps and shells should stop doing damage once you're dead. 

$tupid whine btw.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 7

[THESO]
Players
649 posts
12,846 battles

Plot twist: The CV is "dead" when it's sunk and its planes shot down. It's like your Asashio's torps hitting home after you were killed. You get the same achievement. 

There's a limited time window for using whatever planes you end up in air with. If I play a CV and realize that I'm going under, I usually recall whatever I have in air, and quickly take off with the most potent squadron I still have available. 

After that, I try to think unusually hard about the smartest, most useful thing to do last. If I can sink an Asashio it would easily be on top of the list, as long as we have BB's or another CV still in danger. Nothing to do with retaliation. Often I just use the maximum available time for spotting; It's often more useful for the team than a single attack. 

• Cool 8
  • Bad 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,705 posts
15,193 battles

As another DD main, I don't mind this; as others say, it's the equivalent of getting your DD sunk, and still doing damage with previously fired ordnance that hasn't arrived yet.

It would feel rather incongruous to me if, at the moment of its sinking, a CV's planes suddenly vanished/fell out of the sky; it makes logical sense for them to behave as they do now i.e. unload remaining weapons, but have a limited time to do it (as they'd need to be thinking about finding somewhere to land, quite possibly at the limits of their range - yes, I know it's an arcade game, but occasional nods to 'reality' are still nice to have).

BTW do CVs get flesh wound awards if those final planes sink something? Just curious...

• Cool 1

Players
3,672 posts
14,325 battles
7 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

As another DD main, I don't mind this; as others say, it's the equivalent of getting your DD sunk, and still doing damage with previously fired ordnance that hasn't arrived yet.

It would feel rather incongruous to me if, at the moment of its sinking, a CV's planes suddenly vanished/fell out of the sky; it makes logical sense for them to behave as they do now i.e. unload remaining weapons, but have a limited time to do it (as they'd need to be thinking about finding somewhere to land, quite possibly at the limits of their range - yes, I know it's an arcade game, but occasional nods to 'reality' are still nice to have).

BTW do CVs get flesh wound awards if those final planes sink something? Just curious...

Yes. After I sunk one I ambushed slamming all 10 torps into it :Smile_trollface: he launched his DB’s in time and took my remaining 400 HP after playing 1 1/2 mins of chasey chasey droppy droppy. Thankfully we were winning easily by that point. 

• Cool 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,777 posts
21,329 battles
10 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

Yup.

• Cool 2

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
1 hour ago, Bainsmit_steel said:

Cv has a 2 minute window to use his squad which is in the air or until he use or loose all his planes...whichever comes first...in RL it usualy last up to 1 minute...so it is not an big deal....every class has something you have stealth and smoke dd has planes...

Thx for clearing that up, It probably just felt longer because the Furious took turns after the Lex.

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
7 hours ago, pra3y said:

If that is the case your torps and shells should stop doing damage once you're dead. 

$tupid whine btw.

Its not really the same as dropping consumable fighters 2 min after being dead... And yes I think Cvs should have a window to use their last planes, I just felt it lasted forever. 2 minutes is pretty long. It probably just felt longer because of the other CV.

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
31 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

No different to fire or flooding ticking over after being killed or a set of torps sent before dying. 

Of course its different. Fires and floods that are made by CVs also keep ticking. Planes are being controled by a player, torps are not... not yet at least

• Cool 2

Players
2,476 posts
7,916 battles
2 minutes ago, Systergummi said:

Of course its different. Fires and floods that are made by CVs also keep ticking. Planes are being controled by a player, torps are not... not yet at least

"Player didn't die", when you sank carrier. He was controlling planes, so he dies with planes.

• Boring 1

Beta Tester
2,019 posts
18,898 battles
Vor 35 Minuten, Bear_Necessities sagte:

No different to fire or flooding ticking over after being killed or a set of torps sent before dying. 

I think there is a difference: nothing else can be controlled by the player once his ship is sunk. No shots, no torps. Only CV still has active control over his armament.

OP said he was fine with the auto-drop after death by the previous CV gameplay.

• Cool 4

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
5,641 posts
26,448 battles
4 minutes ago, Systergummi said:

Its not really the same as dropping consumable fighters 2 min after being dead... 

Actually, this has to be adressed... Where are the fighters being sumonned from? The last bomber squad or the sunk CV? 

• Cool 3

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
2 hours ago, asalonen said:

After that, I try to think unusually hard about the smartest, most useful thing to do last. If I can sink an Asashio it would easily be on top of the list, as long as we have BB's or another CV still in danger. Nothing to do with retaliation. Often I just use the maximum available time for spotting; It's often more useful for the team than a single attack. 

I have no real issues about the CV going after me, I would have done the same. And he played well to defend his remaining CV and BB, as he should.

Im just questioning if a CV should have the power to spot after his death. And the fighters are they landbased? The CV cant have launched them, its below water.

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
4 minutes ago, Kenliero said:

"Player didn't die", when you sank carrier. He was controlling planes, so he dies with planes.

I get thats how it works now. And since there are no auto-drops they cant implement the old feature. Before posting I didnt know there was a time limit (2min) and it felt a lot longer, probably because of the other carrier joining in. I still feel that 2 minutes is a long time to get of the last drop, and I think that using fighter consumables after death is strange. Another boat could have just shot down the planes, but some DDs, like the Asashio just have crappy AA.

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
1 hour ago, veslingr said:

bu it is OK if DD dies that his torps can hit somebody 40 seconds later?

Before the rework the CV worked the same way, he could send an auto-drop just as he died and the planes would carry out that attack. And if he has fish in the water now as he dies they can still hit home, just as mine can. The Issue here is the fact that a CV can use his planes to spot for his team after death and use consumables that does the same. Its not the same as having panic launched some torps that keep going.

Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
5 minutes ago, Systergummi said:

I get thats how it works now. And since there are no auto-drops they cant implement the old feature. Before posting I didnt know there was a time limit (2min) and it felt a lot longer, probably because of the other carrier joining in. I still feel that 2 minutes is a long time to get of the last drop, and I think that using fighter consumables after death is strange. Another boat could have just shot down the planes, but some DDs, like the Asashio just have crappy AA.

this is historically correct....when CV got sinked, their squads still could attack enemies if they were in air....

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
4 minutes ago, veslingr said:

this is historically correct....when CV got sinked, their squads still could attack enemies if they were in air....

Yes it might be historical, this game however is not...

And I think odd things in the game should be discussed, why else do we have this forum? CVs are the only class that can actively affect the game outcome post death, that is odd and should be discussed.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,284 posts
11 minutes ago, veslingr said:

its also historically correct, that the AA of ships added up, but with next patch WG nerfs AA of ship groups also

and healing of planes in mid air is also not "historically accurate" at all

you sir, cherrypick

• Cool 3

Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
1 minute ago, Systergummi said:

Yes it might be historical, this game however is not...

And I think odd things in the game should be discussed, why else do we have this forum? CVs are the only class that can actively affect the game outcome post death, that is odd and should be discussed.

we are discussing it right now :)....i am fine with this, you are not, but WG will not change it soon.....as they think rework is basically over.

[-GGS-]
Players
502 posts
11,224 battles
4 minutes ago, veslingr said:

we are discussing it right now :)....i am fine with this, you are not, but WG will not change it soon.....as they think rework is basically over.

Im fine with talking about It. Im not really fine with how it works right now. I think the old mechanic with the post death autodrop was more fair. The planes would then hover around the spot where they tried to drop you (tried because in a DD autodrops were avoidable most times) They would detect you and sometimes It would get you killed, but atleast you could leave the spot and no longer be detected. Also they could not summon more planes.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts

But in WG's opinion ( i guess ) the player IS the aircraft. The player does not die unless the aircraft he is in die. The CV just acts as a movable respawn platform. If the movable respawn platform dies, the player can no longer  respawn. That is the mechanic now, not unknown to many other games with destroyable/cappable/removable respawn points.

And what you describe is the best case scenario for the CV.....when he saw it coming, had a full fresh squadron lauched in time and went looking for a little payback that succeeded.

This is not always the case....many times the CV does not know they are under attack untill too late to act. If the CV explodes when the player is right at that moment entangled in a nasty and difficult attack somewhere else at the map he cannot respawn and will probably be removed from the match quite sudden after AA kills him. This player can also choose to complete his current attack above returning in time for a last stand  launch aswell. Another scenario is that the CV player does see it coming but does not have a full sqaudron of effective aircraft anymore.

And indeed it's 2 minutes, i killed many DD in those 2 minutes that killed me before i upgraded the secondary batteries. Now that never occurs anymore, the secondaries chew them up at ~7 km. But if this DD has a large health pool left it might escape even payback, as the aircraft detach after dropping weapons, and dropping the last one remove the player from the match too.

I don't know why they added this but they did it by design, i don't think they will change it. It makes being defeated with a CV more bearable and irritates/humilates the enemy that did it. What can you say ? Most players will be the victim of it much more then they will use it, unless you play CV as a dedicated class....i'm pretty sure not much players do that. So practically everyone is at the receiving end. It is just the risk you run going up against CV.

No one said they should be defenceless  like baby seals what ? And by what you say you didn't yet run into players like me......with "stachelschwein" upgraded and buffed secondary batteries that won't let you even come near the CV, and kill surprisingly fast contrary to useless stock secondaries no one fears. Did you ever realize a ship like the Lexington has 12 x 127 mm to each side of the ship ? If these are buffed to somewhat the range, ROF and accuracy of a DD with such guns, you get the picture of what that will do....