You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gyrostabilizer

How do you aim those rockets

20 comments in this topic

Players
55 posts
4,310 battles

How do you aim attack craft rockets? Bombs are much easier. And torps are easiest for me. But rockets.... almost always miss. Even though the "tutorial" suggests they are easiest to aim but for me they are hardest to aim. OFC I am trying to shoot DDs with rockets.

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,380 battles

been nerfed to oblivion

prepare your attack well in advance and use mouse to move aim once your going in for the kill

or just do what most of us do and that's to use em to fast scout hit the odd easy target and leave the suckers on the ship because the dbs and tbs are better

• Cool 2

Players
219 posts

If you know where the DD is you just left click and press S to reduce speed so the reticle will close faster. Of course you have to pre aim or calculate where your target will be when the reticle will change from yellow to green. Give a try in coop  

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
14,723 battles

1) Begin attack run to where you think the DD will go, most of your aiming should be before you click the attack button.

2) Make only slight mouse aim corrections on approach ( no keys ! )

3) Almost there do not correct anymore, to allow the aiming reticle to be maximum accurate

4) Shoot

Contrary to what @Bear_Necessities says, who is mostly on the receiving end and knows little of the art, the most succesfull attack with most hitting rockets is broadside because rockets spread out. Shooting coming from stern or bow will have most rockets miss.

But you don't have to aim for broadside, the slippery DD will evade and present it to you often anyway.

• Cool 1

[OP]
Beta Tester
282 posts
24,339 battles
1 hour ago, gyrostabilizer said:

How do you aim attack craft rockets? Bombs are much easier. And torps are easiest for me. But rockets.... almost always miss. Even though the "tutorial" suggests they are easiest to aim but for me they are hardest to aim. OFC I am trying to shoot DDs with rockets.

https://streamable.com/qje4c

Rockets

Dive bombers: https://streamable.com/fspht
https://streamable.com/axpor

TB: https://streamable.com/m80ap

• Cool 1

Players
3,523 posts
14,236 battles
8 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

1) Begin attack run to where you think the DD will go, most of your aiming should be before you click the attack button.

3) Almost there do not correct anymore, to allow the aiming reticle to be maximum accurate

4) Shoot

Contrary to what @Bear_Necessities says, who is mostly on the receiving end and knows little of the art, the most succesfull attack with most hitting rockets is broadside because rockets spread out. Shooting coming from stern or bow will have most rockets miss.

But you don't have to aim for broadside, the slippery DD will evade and present it to you often anyway.

You think I’m on the receiving end of CV players of your standard...:cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
4,150 posts
11,514 battles
Vor 11 Minuten, Beastofwar sagte:

4) Shoot

You are wrong but ok. The optimal angle for damaging hits on dds is stern/bow (tiny tims do up to 10k dmg if not more). Of course you take the angle as you get it. Can't really go for bow/stern if DD is turning the whole time so you predict the drift and turnand shoot the rockets.

To hit the rockets on a DD who knows their P button you have to spot them, preferably position behind them, boost away, do a fast turn boost while turning angle is way from DD, slow when it's going towards last known DDs position, preaim and predict the DDs position correctly. Make last second adjustment with mouse aiming after spotting concealed DD and hope for good rng regardless of angle.

If DD has AA turned on and you spot it from 6km, just proceed normally, set your angle correctly, ignore flak, initiate attack run, aim carefully with the mouse to minimize expanding reticle and predict DDs turn and drift.

it takes some practice but you will get used to it if you practice enough.

if you are playing USN line CV, go for tiny tims since those have all around the best dmg potential to all shipclasses and a very accurate aim reticle.

• Cool 1

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,398 posts
7,295 battles
11 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

This isnt correct, it depends on the rocket type used, and the target.

HVAR are better broadside since they have a horizontal eliptical reticle.

Tiny Tims are better lengthways since they have a slighly vertical eliptical reticle.

IJN are practically a circle so it doesn't hugely matter.

If attacking broadside rockets are likely to go into belt armour, unless you can snipe the super structure. Attacking lenthways puts the rockets into their deck. For some ships this doesnt matter, but for some will result in a lot of shatters

• Cool 5

[BHSFL]
Players
3,690 posts
14,723 battles
20 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

This isnt correct, it depends on the rocket type used, and the target.

HVAR are better broadside since they have a horizontal eliptical reticle.

Tiny Tims are better lengthways since they have a slighly vertical eliptical reticle.

IJN are practically a circle so it doesn't hugely matter.

If attacking broadside rockets are likely to go into belt armour, unless you can snipe the super structure. Attacking lenthways puts the rockets into their deck. For some ships this doesnt matter, but for some will result in a lot of shatters

When i fire from the bow or stern i will miss most rockets, DD are very sleek and narrow ships .....missed rockets do no damage.

When i fire to the broadside of DD many (5+) rockets per attack run hit. They cannot be aimed more precise so chances are some will go into the superstructure, wreck modules and/or start fires.

So a very small chance to do major damage or a very good chance to do module wrecking, starting fires and shooting rockets into it's superstructure. What would yield the most DPM you think ?

Btw : when i used Tiny Tim's and fired 10 of them into a DD ( 54k dmg to a 12,5 K HP boat ) that survived these forum members told me that was wrong and i should use them only against larger ships. Or better yet use US divebombers exclusively, abandoning al other nations CV's. Now i use HVARS and that is wrong because i should use Tiny Tims ? Do you guys like to reverse yourselves every week ?

The truth is all rockets are doing low damage to DD, because they were specificly nerfed against DD. And the same will happen to dive bombers. If TiT's would do their proper 5400 dmg ( you fire 2 of them so 10.8 k per attack run x 3 attacks = 32.4 k ) we would not have this conversation. You could blow up 2 DD with 1 squadron, not shoot 10 TiT's at a single indestructible one.....or 89 Hvars and a bomb for that fact.

• Cool 1

[XTREM]
Players
4,150 posts
11,514 battles
Vor 3 Minuten, Beastofwar sagte:

When i fire from the bow or stern i will miss most rockets, DD are very sleek and narrow ships .....missed rockets do no damage.

When i fire to the broadside of DD many (5+) rockets per attack run hit. They cannot be aimed more precise so chances are some will go into the superstructure, wreck modules and/or start fires.

So a very small chance to do major damage or a very good chance to do module wrecking, starting fires and shooting rockets into it's superstructure. What would yield the most DPM you think ?

Btw : when i used Tiny Tim's and fired 10 of them into a DD ( 57k dmg to a 12,5 K HP boat ) that survived these forum members told me that was wrong and i should use them only against larger ships. No i use HVARS and that is wrong because i should use Tiny Tims ? The truth is all rockets are doing low damage to DD, because they were specificly nerfed against DD. And the same will happen to dive bombers.

Each one of us CV mains seems to have their own preferred methods i guess. HVAR in my experience only failed on my when going against DDs. The reticle is way to big, they are harder to aim. To RNG dependend.

Tiny tims reticle can get as small as a gearing. One rocket does 1,7k pen dmg. hitting 3 already does 5k. A bow on gearing can eat more then 10k damage on a well aimed shot. Even broadside you can score big hits. And they are useful against all other ships on top of that. Up to 10k salvos against BBs and cruisers if not more. Also easier to aim and more forgiving.

HVAR miss all over the shop. You depend to much on RNG. That's my experience with them.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
2 hours ago, Alelos said:

If you know where the DD is you just left click and press S to reduce speed so the reticle will close faster.

At least on the Langley (the only CV I've played since the failure rework) holding "S" will either keep your reticle at max size if it already was like that, or will blow it up back towards the max size if it had shrunk before you held the "S" key.

I'd assume it's the same for other CVs, no?
  • Cool 1

Players
930 posts
8,996 battles
1 minute ago, wilkatis_LV said:
At least on the Langley (the only CV I've played since the failure rework) holding "S" will either keep your reticle at max size if it already was like that, or will blow it up back towards the max size if it had shrunk before you held the "S" key.

I think you will have to send about 100E to my account because youre making my eyes hurt.:fish_viking:As a compensation, you see.:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,417 posts
20,487 battles
40 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

...it does?

Hold on, let me check in the training room. Because only maneuvering should widen the reticle, not changing speed.

Yeah, changing speed doesn't do anything. My guess would be that you're doing micro adjustments with the mouse. Even the slightest turn will cause your reticle to stop closing or even widen.

Also JESUS CHRIST MY EYES!

@MrConway PLEASE! DO SOMETHING!

• Cool 1

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
12 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

...it does?

Hold on, let me check in the training room. Because only maneuvering should widen the reticle, not changing speed.

Yeah, changing speed doesn't do anything. My guess would be that you're doing micro adjustments with the mouse. Even the slightest turn will cause your reticle to stop closing or even widen.

Also JESUS CHRIST MY EYES!

@MrConway PLEASE! DO SOMETHING!

Hmm, automatic adjustments by moving mouse that I dont even know about? Honestly sounds pretty plausable :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,710 posts
6,681 battles
11 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Go in from behind. It’s the best way to :etc_swear: a DD.

• Funny 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,417 posts
20,487 battles
3 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Hmm, automatic adjustments by moving mouse that I dont even know about? Honestly sounds pretty plausabl:Smile_veryhappy:

Basically planes follow whereever you're looking at via yawing if you're doing it at certain degrees forward.

So if you're looking directly to the side or behind, planes won't change direction. But if you're looking forward and slightly to the side, planes will turn.

Takes some getting used to but once you do it is fairly useful to make adjustments when attacking without completely widening your reticle via turning with A/D.

If you don't want your planes to turn, just make sure you're looking directly in the middle of your reticle when attacking. Most reticles have a convenient middle line to make that easier.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
229 posts
9,605 battles

for the ease of keeping the DD spotted while you turn you can also drop a fighter if you have one spare

• Cool 1