You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Snaques

Never thought I'd miss the toxicity of WoT

80 comments in this topic

Players
8 posts
165 battles

I've been playing WoT for few years and figured I'd give WoWs a try. I actually do think the game is kind of interesting and provides the similar long learning curve where you can get into it easily, but are thousands and thousands of games away from actually mastering it.

However, for some reason I feel like WoWs just doesn't have that true multiplayer feel to it. I'm now at tier 6, playing against tier 8s, and most games are just completely silent with the random 'good luck' / 'Wilco!' at the start of the battle. As the game progresses there is no communication and not even any signs of joy or disappointment. I mean I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually missing the toxicity of WoT. :Smile_amazed:

In WoT you would always at least know that your teammates really cared about winning and what everyone else was doing. Sure, 90% of the time the message was either offensive or just wrong, but behind it you could still see that the person wanted to win. In Wows, you can lose a game you lead by 5 ships and there is not a single comment. You can also get 6 kills and no one cares. Actually, quite often I get the feeling that I'm playing a single player game.

I'm sure clan games and maybe top tier games are different, but I like to play all tiers (5-10). I'm curious if this is just a limited sample size or am I just accustomed to wrong etiquette?

EDIT: So just to be clear, I'm not literally missing the toxicity, but am missing the interaction in any form.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,174 posts
6,418 battles

In wows youre not playing against real people that is why the chat is silent.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7
  • Bad 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
5,139 posts
5,526 battles

Funny, this is one of the reasons why some of us prefer WoWS..

• Cool 6
  • Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,195 posts
14,697 battles
14 minutes ago, Snaques said:

I'm curious if this is just a limited sample size or am I just accustomed to wrong etiquette?

I was feeling unkind, I might suggest you buy something like a Tirpitz, and see how you get on; I'm reasonably confident that you would relocate the 'missing' toxicity in fairly short order...!

Being a bit less flippant, WOWS is certainly less toxic than WOT is (although that isn't terribly difficult); my current hypothesis is that the WOWS players base is, on average, a bit older, and less likely to be of the spotty adolescent variety - this tends to lead to a slightly more civilised environment, because a lot of us got that sort of thing out of our systems when young + stupid...

• Cool 4
  • Funny 3

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, Snaques sagte:

I've been playing WoT for few years and figured I'd give WoWs a try. I actually do think the game is kind of interesting and provides the similar long learning curve where you can get into it easily, but are thousands and thousands of games away from actually mastering it.

However, for some reason I feel like WoWs just doesn't have that true multiplayer feel to it. I'm now at tier 6, playing against tier 8s, and most games are just completely silent with the random 'good luck' / 'Wilco!' at the start of the battle. As the game progresses there is no communication and not even any signs of joy or disappointment. I mean I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually missing the toxicity of WoT. :Smile_amazed:

In WoT you would always at least know that your teammates really cared about winning and what everyone else was doing. Sure, 90% of the time the message was either offensive or just wrong, but behind it you could still see that the person wanted to win. In Wows, you can lose a game you lead by 5 ships and there is not a single comment. You can also get 6 kills and no one cares. Actually, quite often I get the feeling that I'm playing a single player game.

I'm sure clan games and maybe top tier games are different, but I like to play all tiers (5-10). I'm curious if this is just a limited sample size or am I just accustomed to wrong etiquette?

Afaik WoWS audience is "older" than WoT one, that alone could contribute to this game being less toxic

But yeah, toxicity is everywhere. Try playing on a weekend for example. Or step slightly higher in tiers than you should (like buying a t8 premium BB as mentioned above) and you'll get to hear everything your teammates think of you :Smile_trollface:
Not being silent in chat yourself also is a good way to get people triggered at you, but that quickly leads to auto-issued 24h chatbans from too many players reporting you for "chat misbehaviour", even if NOTHING you said was actually rud:Smile_veryhappy:
Edited by floribe2000
excessive colour spam
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1
  • Angry 2

Players
1,911 posts
28 minutes ago, Snaques said:

I mean I never thought I'd say this, but I'm actually missing the toxicity of WoT. :Smile_amazed:

You have clearly never been in a game with me. :cap_horn:

• Funny 4

Players
8 posts
165 battles

I mean, obviously I'm not missing the toxicity per se, but just any interaction. For one that gives you an idea whether the other guy has a clue or not.

Beta Tester
209 posts
13,218 battles
30 minutes ago, Snaques said:

but I'm actually missing the toxicity of WoT. :Smile_amazed:

play cv and detonate a ship, or just play cv and kill ships, go farm kraken and dev strikes, spam torps, spam he, play 3 BBs in a division and focussync enemy broadsides, shoot ships in smoke, sail into friendly torps and many other ways to experience the fun of wows general chat, which in all these instances is still less toxic than wot used to be...

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
14,465 posts
20,571 battles
6 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:
eye cancer

giphy.gif

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

Players
7,254 posts
245 battles
31 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

*reeeee*

pls no.

the colours are too bright oniichan.

halp.

Spoiler

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
6,195 posts
14,697 battles
17 minutes ago, Snaques said:

For one that gives you an idea whether the other guy has a clue or not.

It's still very early days, and at the tiers you've mainly been playing (3-5 in randoms) almost everyone doesn't have much of a clue yet, apart from the odd seal-clubber.

To be fair, most of the player base (me included) still don't have a clue at higher tiers either, most of the regulars on here excepted; the difference is that the number of people who do think they have a clue increases, and their willingness to explain why everyone else is doing it wrong also increases.

At lower tiers, a lot of players are too busy trying to work out what all the controls do to type in chat...

Sensible suggestion: join a clan; you'll get a bunch of useful economic benefits, assuming their base is reasonably developed, but (more relevantly) you'll also get people to division with, many of whom will use voice comms of some sort, or at the very least communicate in chat with the rest of their division...

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
802 posts
4,609 battles

afaik most people are older and play solo after a days work. Divisions tend to hang around in discord channels and talk there. 

But I say 40% of the time I get some members on my team willing to work together and use chat. Just be the one initiating it and you will get some people going. 

• Cool 1

Players
1,276 posts
9,930 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, wilkatis_LV sagte:
Afaik WoWS audience is "older" than WoT one, that alone could contribute to this game being less toxic

A poll on NA forums suggested the average age in WoWS is somewhere around 40. As a 40-year-old myself, I can confirm we're way too tired and just too damn mellow to rage over a video game.

That said, while I rarely start trouble in chat myself, I've occasionally responded in kind if someone starts to insult team mates. So my best suggestion to OP is: try being toxic yourself, and maybe things get more lively for you.

Edited by floribe2000
  • Cool 4

Players
3,534 posts
14,238 battles
1 hour ago, Snaques said:

Depends on how shitty my day at work has been mixed with how awful the teams I get given are :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[SM0KE]
Players
6,195 posts
14,697 battles

BTW @Snaques, when the upcoming Yudachi* makes it into the game, I suspect you'll soon yearn for the blissful quiet of yesteryear; it's an historical inevitability that chat will become utterly infested with variations on the theme of 'Poi'...

* See thread below.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[BIF]
Players
381 posts
5,271 battles

I usually just using chat to tell what i plan to do / responding to tactical stuff. I am close to 40, i dont get mad over a video game like i would have done it like 15-20 year ago.

Players
32 posts
1,211 battles
Vor 14 Minuten, jss78 sagte:

A poll on NA forums suggested the average age in WoWS is somewhere around 40. As a 40-year-old myself, I can confirm we're way too tired and just too damn mellow to rage over a video game.

Could be true as a poll in the german EU WoT section with more than 400 participants came to the conclusion that the average age is around 25 years. According to my personal experience this is pretty accurate and at this age people sure tend to get more emotionally invested in a game than when they are older.

So far I have only been insluted once in around 100 games. Compared to WoT, that is literally nothing.

Players
1,890 posts
19,428 battles
54 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

BTW @Snaques, when the upcoming Yudachi* makes it into the game, I suspect you'll soon yearn for the blissful quiet of yesteryear; it's an historical inevitability that chat will become utterly infested with variations on the theme of 'Poi'...

* See thread below.

Actually I doubt many people will say poi it's more of a running joke on twitch than something I ever see on the EU server.

I can only remember two games where anyone said poi and one of those battles was a clan battle where all the players on the other team had anime themed names 

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
59 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

I don't even need a Yuudachi to be greeted with "Poi" in half the matches I play.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[DC-DK]
Players
3,051 posts
32,664 battles
2 minutes ago, Seiranko said:

I don't even need a Yuudachi to be greeted with "Poi" in half the matches I play.

Just wait until she is released then it probably explode

Players
1,890 posts
19,428 battles

Certainly compared to WOT the in game chat is a lot more quiet you will get the odd raging idiot but for the most part even people who are angry at being killed by you will just report you after the battle, easiest way to test that is just kill any giulio cesare player and your guaranteed to get reported. 

Still you do raise a good point, your also very unlikely to get a kind word said either, I have had a few (sadly not as many as I would like) really stunning games and you never receive any words of support or encouragement from your own team in fact in the last battle where I managed to kill 9 enemy ships the only words of encouragement I received was from someone on the other team. 

I did use to try being complimentary to teammates, however often I would then have to explain I wasn't being scarcastic if I say thank you, or well played I meant it. However a lot of people in random battles assume your being a 'expletive' and either go off on one or just report you so it's generally better to say nothing. 

• Cool 1

Players
8,456 posts
9,251 battles
1 minute ago, hgbn_dk said:

Just wait until she is released then it probably explode

Only because our clan leader will likely buy her as soon as they can, then spam Poi themselves every match when we play in division.

• Funny 2

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
Vor 2 Stunden, El2aZeR sagte:

giphy.gif

Vor 2 Stunden, CptBarney sagte:

pls no.

the colours are too bright oniichan.

halp.

Reveal hidden contents

Sorry m8s, rainbow's here to sta:Smile-_tongue:

Why? Well, generally because I ca:Smile_trollface: If WG manages to fix this - they'll have to fix the unreadable posts for dark theme, if not - I get nice & shiny posts. So that's a win-win for me

Vor 1 Stunde, jss78 sagte:

The number i read somewhere was "estimated as mid-30s". Close enough

Edited by floribe2000
excessive colour spam
  • Funny 1