You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FearsomeFlotsam

Reduced spotting range as planes are lost?

16 comments in this topic

Players
204 posts
14,299 battles

Just to float an idea, what if the spotting range of CV squadrons was reduced by, say, 10% for each plane lost from the squadron (some sense to this as more eyes in the sky should imply better spotting)? The effect would be to make it quite difficult to do sustained attacks on DDs, or keep them spotted for any prolonged length of time, since after the first few planes are lost, you'd be down to a very low spotting range (<2km). Well concealed cruisers would also benefit to some degree, but the less well concealed cruisers and all battleships would see very little benefit, as their reduced spotting range would still be within the normal flight pattern of attacking squadrons.

Might help the problem of CVs going after DDs so mercilessly, and there is the possibility of compensating the nerf elsewhere (e.g. on damage) if it's seen as too punitive.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,241 battles

Just no.... This would make only leaving the cv with half a squad to reduce plane losses detrimental. Cvs do not need more nerfs stop advocating for them. 

• Cool 4

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,008 battles
14 minutes ago, Skurios_Volleys_Fan said:

AFAIK RPF for CVs will be gone in one of the oncoming updates

gone in the update now due to hit and should never have been in the reworked cv gameplay

as for op idea its just plain bad but its better than some of the ideas floating around

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,774 posts
19,465 battles

Wouldn't do anything. DBs need to be practically on top of a target before they can attack anyway so USN CV power against DDs would be undiminished.

Meanwhile IJN CVs would fall further into obscurity.

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
3 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

This would make only leaving the cv with half a squad to reduce plane losses detrimental.

and how exactly is that a bad thing? Silly exploit anyway...

Beta Tester
209 posts
12,890 battles
57 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

Because a decent cv player drops 1-3 attack waves prior to any enemy contact to reduce plane losses.You'll never get full 3-4strikes of unless enemy deactivate its  aa. We can talk about removing This "exploit " if buffs to "reloading" planes where in place. 

This concept would punish you for thoughtful and resourceful gameplay which in itself is rare already. Also sensewise this proposal is on the lacking side 1 plane crew got  the same view range as 12... 

Btw after spotting nerf wg raised visibility on cruisers due to stealth AA being problematic so you would simply reopen this issue.

Never to forget DDs are sufficiently stealthy already. So the only class benefiting would be BBs:cap_hmm:

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,241 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

because if you sent out full squads you would run out of planes within 8 minutes. what kind of a stupid question is that.

Players
174 posts
Vor 51 Minuten, Mr_Snoww sagte:

because if you sent out full squads you would run out of planes within 8 minutes. what kind of a stupid question is that.

Well, and if you send planes home you suffer even heavier losses on the remaining planes from contineous AA and don't even.

I prefer sending 8 planes to death managing 2 attack runs (Shokaku TBs) over sending 6 for 1 run or sending 4 for 0 successful attack runs.

Instead I prefer to fly planes out of AA zones after an attack and before pressing F. This seems to preserve planes better than sending them home before an attack.

BTW:

If you run out of planes you're attacking wrong target. And as a shokaku player with low plane health and many T10 games I know what I'm talking about.

Additionally if you ran out of planes: Don't launch incomplete squads for attacking heavy AA targets. You lose the planes without getting anything in return having to deal even longer with incomplete squads.

Players
1,906 posts
25 minutes ago, Skurios_Volleys_Fan said:

Da. Please go on. Teach @Mr_Snoww how to play CV's. You as a Shokaku player clearly knows more than him. He is just a potato superunicum CV player. :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Players
204 posts
14,299 battles
9 hours ago, Mr_Snoww said:

Just no.... This would make only leaving the cv with half a squad to reduce plane losses detrimental. Cvs do not need more nerfs stop advocating for them. 

Should we really be supporting a system where that kind of tactic is effective? I know real life doesn't count for much in WOWS, but that tactic is the opposite of realistic deployment.

Many of the CV nerfs seem to have been misdirected (or rather undirected): CVs are particularly punishing on DDs, but to try and compensate, we've seen a lot of nerfs that reduce their effectiveness across the board. The end result is CVs that are still somewhat OP vs DDs and arguably UP vs other types of ships. It would be better to have a system that directly addresses their relationship with DDs.

[THROW]
Players
865 posts
23,241 battles
13 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Should we really be supporting a system where that kind of tactic is effective? I know real life doesn't count for much in WOWS, but that tactic is the opposite of realistic deployment.

Many of the CV nerfs seem to have been misdirected (or rather undirected): CVs are particularly punishing on DDs, but to try and compensate, we've seen a lot of nerfs that reduce their effectiveness across the board. The end result is CVs that are still somewhat OP vs DDs and arguably UP vs other types of ships. It would be better to have a system that directly addresses their relationship with DDs.

problem is it seems to be when CV players find a "tactic" it is considered an "exploit" and quickly stamped out. are we allowed to have any fun?

• Cool 1

[WTFNO]
Players
561 posts
9,660 battles
On 3/28/2019 at 5:35 PM, Mr_Snoww said:

problem is it seems to be when CV players find a "tactic" it is considered an "exploit" and quickly stamped out. are we allowed to have any fun?

I suspect the relative lack of counterplay makes any CV tactic look like an exploit to the other ships...

Players
174 posts
Am 28.3.2019 um 14:11, MortenTardo sagte:

Da. Please go on. Teach @Mr_Snoww how to play CV's. You as a Shokaku player clearly knows more than him. He is just a potato superunicum CV player. :cap_like:

But I see a lot of players trying to use this "releasing planes trick" in T8 carriers against T10 ships - and not getting a single attack off or one at best. Besides the fact that they obviously choose wrong targets they weaken their squads further by releasing planes in advance as continous AA damage is distributed on available planes in squad.

As CV (and especially low tier CV) you've got to play with care - preserving your planes in first place at the beginning of the game. You need to wait and look for the separated ships. And IMO then you need your full attack squad for punishing that ship driving around alone.

However I didn't say it's wrong to release planes (e.g. when beeing top tier). But IMO you need to know the circumstancen when, and when not to use it. And this is what nobody talks about when such tips are spreaded.

And about your Mr. Unicum player: Mainly chooses T10 top tier CVs and plays in divisions only. That helps for stats padding. Though I don't question his a better player than me. But still - he hasn't played a single T8 CV game since rework on live server (according to third party websites).