You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Slagathor_

Can screen resolution effect aiming?

13 comments in this topic

Players
6 posts
10,300 battles

Just finished a T10 battle. I had a Worcester and my opponent had a Salem.

We both sat slightly behind rocks broadside to broadside, and after a while exposed our ships and traded shot for shot. Both ships are roughly similar guns armour etc.

The shell flight was about 11 seconds, so at any one time there were two salvos in the air, we both moved a little and had to adjust aim to track the ship, after about 50 hits each I think we both decided to sit there and see who won without moving.

I noticed that even though I targeted him slap bang in the middle my shells constantly fell short, in the end in order to hit him I had to aim  just past him, I am using a static default crosshair, but I had to aim just above him into clear water.

He on the other hand hit every round, aiming was spot on, not every shell, but 90% hit bang on, he was reducing my health with HE drastically, I was using AP and slowly chipping away.

We both had exactly the same camo installed, he was at 65% health and I was at about 10% with 3 fires when he got help from a BB which finished me off with one broadside.

My PC screen resolution is 1920x1200, I have two of them so I can't test any other resolution, but I wondered "Can the screen resolution effect aim?".

Now before you are tempted to roll out the party line with smug  answers like "Try getting better", "The problem is with your brain", "Try a new right hand", "Your are only at 45% you must suck", I am not an idiot, I know how to lead a target, I have been playing computer games since the 1990s, I know the various dynamics that effect shell flight etc. etc. I am also not naïve not enough to think that some people use auto aimers, and a whole smorgasbord of other cheats, both known and undetectable, I am not suggesting this guy was cheating.

BTW cheating will eventually be this games downfall, especially if WG don't address it, however they are a business and as a business expect money from their customers. Unless cheating is addressed normal money paying customers will leave and they will end up with a bunch of kids with no money and aimbots up the wazoo.

Anyway, my question is.... "Can screen resolution effect aiming?"

• Cool 3

[SHAFT]
Players
9,448 posts
8,811 battles
16 minutes ago, Slagathor_ said:

after about 50 hits each I think we both decided to sit there and see who won without moving.

I noticed that even though I targeted him slap bang in the middle my shells constantly fell short, in the end in order to hit him I had to aim  just past him, I am using a static default crosshair, but I had to aim just above him into clear water.

Well, you didnt count on WG having installed an auto-aim correction build into their game.

Somehow, when a target is not moving, it can happen that this thing likes to shoot below the ship. Try shooting a beached target -> shoots in the island for the same reason. Or a ship which is reversing, you have to aim higher for no apparent reason.

So answer: Nope, screen resolution doesnt have anything to do with it. WG having retarded mechanics that occasionally can screw you over is the best answer.

Also

19 minutes ago, Slagathor_ said:

Both ships are roughly similar guns armour etc.

no.

Salems guns are far superior to a Worchester. First, they are bigger caliber (203mm vs 152mm) and it has Super Heavy AP shells with improved pen angles. You are lucky, he didnt use AP. He would have blasted you out of the water in no time :fish_book:

• Cool 8

[-NYX-]
Players
178 posts
6,858 battles
42 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Well, you didnt count on WG having installed an auto-aim correction build into their game.

Somehow, when a target is not moving, it can happen that this thing likes to shoot below the ship.

yes, exactly this is very annoying, 
Same as you aim at a ship right behind an other.. or worse in the middle of the three.

I even don't like this if I am the ship floating still just to close to an island, and my enemy can't hit me for seeing his shells drop in front of me....   

Dumb system

[NWP]
Players
2,622 posts
16,235 battles
4 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Somehow, when a target is not moving, it can happen that this thing likes to shoot below the ship. Try shooting a beached target -> shoots in the island for the same reason. Or a ship which is reversing, you have to aim higher for no apparent reason.

You don't like this "feature"? How odd... you must be the only person cause the rest of us LUVE THIS

Players
3,999 posts

"Try a new right hand".

Thats a good one, made me drink my coffee through nose. Thumbs up for that.

• Funny 3

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,345 posts
25,554 battles

Have had same problem even with ships sailing towards me. Had to aim tip of mast to hit them.:cap_fainting:

Might be WG feature to reduce skillgap :Smile_trollface:

[SHAFT]
Players
9,448 posts
8,811 battles
1 hour ago, Profilus said:

Have had same problem even with ships sailing towards me. Had to aim tip of mast to hit them.:cap_fainting:

Might be WG feature to reduce skillgap :Smile_trollface:

For me its more like the inconsistency which leaves me baffled at times how the game wants me to aim... Especially those ships which are moving towards me. Sometimes i have to shoot 1km infront of them, which should just fall into the water but im lucky to hit it at all at the aft section (the ships ofc didnt even reach the point where i actually aimed at), and sometimes i have to aim right at the bow and i still hit the bow despite it coming closer :cap_fainting:

Same for targets moving away from me. Occasionally i take a 3km lead to be able to hit it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (imagine doing that with spotter plane, there you see how retarded it is)

5 hours ago, 159Hunter said:

You don't like this "feature"? How odd... you must be the only person cause the rest of us LUVE THIS

I think it has to be in the game, because if i want to aim for the superstructure, you would actually shoot 2km behind the ship. Ive checked this by looking at the minimap after a ship disappears. The O-marker is WAY further behind. Even if you aim at the waterline, you have to lower the aim point if you want to blindfire, because reason?

[PUPSI]
Players
134 posts
8,645 battles

Question first: did you shoot volleys or sequential?

I have noticed that you have less hits on target with seq ... result from training room shows that i had 9 hits average with seq, 12 with volley.

Stationary ship, 12k distance, using "double click" button on my mouse instead of doing double click for volley.

Those numbers should be taken with pinch of salt because my Worcester build + captain skills may be different from yours, and in game ppl tend to use cammo :Smile_teethhappy:which brings little bit more mess to your dispersion ... but you have an idea.

btw 11 sec to target would be about 14.5k in your case, this is a lot for this ship and he may be using engine upgrade.

That can frustrate ppl trying to hit you because you look like stationary ship which you are not really.

btw2 "lock on target" game feature is still little bit buggy mostly on stationary and really slow moving targets.

Players
6 posts
10,300 battles

I just checked the folders and I do have a replay file, and looking at the file he did use AP not HE, but it still bothers me how many of my shells missed, even for allowing for dispersion, see what you think.

Having a look through the other forum questions, RNG and dispersion crops up so often and no-one seems to have a good word to say about it, if that the case why does WG not make the RNG more friendly for everyone? At the moment it looks like my gunners have too much RUM if they can't consistently hit a target.

btw, and I am not being defensive, but people can be hyper critical, my dog insisted on going out just as the battle starts, hence the delay in me getting going.

20190327_231922_PASC210-Worcester_45_Zigzag.wowsreplay

Players
3,277 posts
19,066 battles
13 hours ago, Slagathor_ said:

We both sat slightly behind rocks broadside to broadside, and after a while exposed our ships and traded shot for shot. Both ships are roughly similar guns armour etc.

"Try getting better", "The problem is with your brain", "Try a new right hand", "Your are only at 45% you must suck", I am not an idiot,

go figure it out :cap_hmm:

[PUPSI]
Players
134 posts
8,645 battles

After seeing replay ... no, it is not screen resolution.

It is exactly what you don`t want to hear.

Starting with awkward ship build, ammo choice, positioning, ignoring white triangle ...

I`m out of here.

Good luck