You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

Did anyone ever play Freelancer: Space Sim

7 comments in this topic

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts

Only played the single player story back when it was released.

Never liked that the flight mode was mouse and keyboard only and the point and click gameplay that resulted from it. As it was supposed to be a successor of Starlancer I was massivly dissapointed because of that, as well as the lack of any reference to the the events in its predecessor, and never touched the game again.

[RONIN]
Players
1,662 posts
8,577 battles
3 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

Only played the single player story back when it was released.

Never liked that the flight mode was mouse and keyboard only and the point and click gameplay that resulted from it. As it was supposed to be a successor of Starlancer I was massivly dissapointed because of that, as well as the lack of any reference to the the events in its predecessor, and never touched the game again.

You missed out on Disco, there is a whole RP universe that links FL to the end of SL.

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
3 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

You missed out on Disco, there is a whole RP universe that links FL to the end of SL.

The roleplay might be awesome but if the rest of the game isn't I'd have no interest in it. It simply didn't feel right and no amount of roleplay can compensate that.

Did anyone ever manage to mod a usable joystick control into the game?

[RONIN]
Players
1,662 posts
8,577 battles
11 minutes ago, Egoleter said:

The roleplay might be awesome but if the rest of the game isn't I'd have no interest in it. It simply didn't feel right and no amount of roleplay can compensate that.

Did anyone ever manage to mod a usable joystick control into the game?

No, the game is text interface to communicate and control. So a keyboard is necessary.

Discovery Freelancer is the most successful mod due to the development that went into the game.

Players can build their own bases to manufacture rare goods, there is cloaking devices, jump hole generators / jump drives to allow instantaneous jumps to systems across the Sirius map.

Every house and pirate nation has its own navy, from Light Fighters upto Carriers, Players can dock inside Player Carrier Ships, Plus the RP Universe of which the story drives the development of the game.

Its actually really advanced for any mod I have seen.

[BONI]
Players
1,257 posts
12,064 battles

I vaguely remember it. Shame it's caught up in ownership limbo, I'd like to have it on GOG.

Beta Tester
404 posts
1,249 battles

I used to play it back then, also with some mods. In fact I recently redownloaded it from some abandonware site. But to be honest: I uninstalled it after minutes of fidgeting with mods and launchers and all that stuff to make the game bearable graphic and gameplay wise for today's standards.