Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_H_Nelson

Thousands of hits received from battleships - none of them AP

13 comments in this topic

Players
3,339 posts
16,133 battles

. . . playing in a Destroyer against the bots since patch 0.7.11 (When AP effectiveness against DDs got nerfed)

AP Changes in Patch 0.7.11

Spoiler

AP Changes in Patch 0.7.11. Extract from patch Notes.
In Update 0.7.11 we are changing the damage mechanics of AP shells, to prevent rare cases where large-caliber shells inflicted excessive damage to destroyers. This occurred when a shell hit destroyer's armor at a sharp angle. The thickness of the effective armor allowed the shell to arm and cause considerable damage inside the ship's hull.
. . . Damage to a ship's HP caused by an AP shell with a caliber of 280 mm and larger, will no longer exceed 10% of the maximum possible damage that such shell may cause. . .
This adjustment will certainly change the course of encounters between destroyers and larger ships carrying main battery guns with a caliber of 280 mm and above. Now, their Captains will have to be more cautious when selecting which shell type to use, being sure to take into account the circumstances of a given situation in battle. A close-range salvo with AP shells will still cause considerable damage to a destroyer, making her think twice before mounting a close quarters torpedo attack upon an enemy ship.

I check the damage reports after each battle, and when I play Destroyers, I note that EVERY hit received from a battleship main battery has been an HE shell.
I've also done some experiments by de-cloaking my destroyer in the middle of fights between friendly and bot battleships, so that I could test the powers of the bots to switch to HE ammo.

CONCLUSION
Bots seeem to have a 0% Expert Loader skill. i.e. instantaneous switching of ammo types to HE when a DD appears.

Maybe they have gotten fed up with all the savage beatings inflicted on them by human players (especially since co-op became the logical choice for certain missions, even amongst good players) :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,490 posts
19,749 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Maybe they use 100% HE as some human players?

Nope, bot BBs use AP against cruisers and battleships.

[DC_DK]
Players
3,037 posts
31,509 battles
5 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Only at broadside targets. If you angle they shot HE

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,765 posts
5,290 battles
7 minutes ago, Aragathor said:

Situationally. They use AP when you angle poorly, and HE otherwise, just as a good player should know to do.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,574 posts
8,858 battles

I think they always used HE tho?

On the other hand, im not sure if they cheat with reloading, i think this would be really hard to prove. Because with Cruisers, they tend to use HE always, unless the target is already burning, then they use AP. Atleast it feels like, if you let the fire burn for a moment and then use DCP, they will switch back to HE and it will take longer for them to shoot again. But its only a gut feeling, i have never attempted to prove that. Should be rather easy tho, try something with a mediocre reload like Hindi/Zao, when you get a fire, wait a bit till they would shoot again and see how long it takes till they actually shoot again.

(unless the insta Expert Loader is only for BB Bots :Smile_hiding:)

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,765 posts
5,290 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I think they always used HE tho?

As someone with over 2k co op games played, I can safely say you thought wrong.

They have changed between HE and AP (better than most players in fact) as the situation calls for it since CBT.

[SHAFT]
Players
9,574 posts
8,858 battles
10 minutes ago, lafeel said:

As someone with over 2k co op games played, I can safely say you thought wrong.

They have changed between HE and AP (better than most players in fact) as the situation calls for it since CBT.

I think i wrote i the wrong way:

Didnt they always used to shoot HE against DDs? Even before BB AP got nerfed.

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,765 posts
5,290 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

I think i wrote i the wrong way:

Didnt they always used to shoot HE against DDs? Even before BB AP got nerfed.

They did. Because even before BB AP was nerfed, HE was (8 times out of 10) the better choice against DD's.

This having been said, shooting whatever you have in the barrel (as long as you don't have EL) is always a better choice than loading a new ammo type.

[BODEM]
Players
751 posts
6,804 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_H_Nelson said:

. . . playing in a Destroyer against the bots since patch 0.7.11 (When AP effectiveness against DDs got nerfed)

AP Changes in Patch 0.7.11

Reveal hidden contents

AP Changes in Patch 0.7.11. Extract from patch Notes.
In Update 0.7.11 we are changing the damage mechanics of AP shells, to prevent rare cases where large-caliber shells inflicted excessive damage to destroyers. This occurred when a shell hit destroyer's armor at a sharp angle. The thickness of the effective armor allowed the shell to arm and cause considerable damage inside the ship's hull.
. . . Damage to a ship's HP caused by an AP shell with a caliber of 280 mm and larger, will no longer exceed 10% of the maximum possible damage that such shell may cause. . .
This adjustment will certainly change the course of encounters between destroyers and larger ships carrying main battery guns with a caliber of 280 mm and above. Now, their Captains will have to be more cautious when selecting which shell type to use, being sure to take into account the circumstances of a given situation in battle. A close-range salvo with AP shells will still cause considerable damage to a destroyer, making her think twice before mounting a close quarters torpedo attack upon an enemy ship.

I check the damage reports after each battle, and when I play Destroyers, I note that EVERY hit received from a battleship main battery has been an HE shell.
I've also done some experiments by de-cloaking my destroyer in the middle of fights between friendly and bot battleships, so that I could test the powers of the bots to switch to HE ammo.

CONCLUSION
Bots seeem to have a 0% Expert Loader skill. i.e. instantaneous switching of ammo types to HE when a DD appears.

Maybe they have gotten fed up with all the savage beatings inflicted on them by human players (especially since co-op became the logical choice for certain missions, even amongst good players) :Smile_teethhappy:

Not really satified with the details of the tests you conducted. I could only be convinced if you popped up in the line between your friendly BB and the enemy BB just before the enemy BB was going to shoot and it would directly focus you. If it had to turn it's cannons to face you, they could have time to switch shells.

Players
3,339 posts
16,133 battles
2 hours ago, FukushuNL said:

Not really satified with the details of the tests you conducted. I could only be convinced if you popped up in the line between your friendly BB and the enemy BB just before the enemy BB was going to shoot and it would directly focus you. If it had to turn it's cannons to face you, they could have time to switch shells.

Yes I have tried it.

Usual tactic is:

1) Get between the two battlships

2) Check tim when bot fires a salvo

3) Wait 20 seconds for some tests, 25 seconds for others

4) Open fire

5) Immediately spotted. Immediate "Priority Target" indicator goes to "1"

6) Bot BB fires and my DD takes damage

7) Post battle I check what I got hit with.

Postscript: Tested cruisers. They DO seem to hit with whatever they had loaded

• Cool 1

[BABBY]
Players
681 posts
10,285 battles
18 hours ago, hgbn_dk said:

Only at broadside targets. If you angle they shot HE

Nope, always ap against bb/ca-cl. Bot cruisers use he and switch to ap once youre on fire regardless of angle.

Sign in to follow this