Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
OddityNZ

Why dont High Tier Battlecruiers have torpedoes ?

23 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
110 posts
6,246 battles

This is purely for those ships that are in the game as Battle/Heavy Crusiers i.e Kronstadt, Stalingrad, Alaska etc, Not BB Battlecruisers like Graf Spee.

Are we gonna see Torpedoes on this ship type at high tier ever or would they be considered Overpowered and this is the reason we don't ??

I love playing my Kronstadt but I cant bring myself to buy the Alaska because I just see it as more of the same and I prefer tankier ships with smaller caliber gun battlecruisers - Stalingrad, Kronstadt. As opposed to heavier guns, lighter armour - Azuma, Alaska.

I have the Zao and the Des Moines but if they had a baby I'm sure it would be amazing and likely close to OP and have a huge price tag but I would still buy it and play the heck outta it....

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles

They were not planned with torpedoes IRL. The navies fielding them saw little value in putting torps on these ships.

Yoshino will feature torpedoes, as she is based on a B-65 design that had torpedoes.

Also, Alaska is better armoured than Kronshtadt.

[CATS]
Players
26,035 posts
14,077 battles

Because their historic counterparts had none or had none planned.

Yoshino will get some.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,366 posts
13,049 battles

Well those battlecruisers that have heavy toprpedo's ususally get nerfed main guns ( in some way ) to compensate. Do you wish that ?

Beta Tester
110 posts
6,246 battles
4 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

Well those battlecruisers that have heavy toprpedo's ususally get nerfed main guns ( in some way ) to compensate. Do you wish that ?

Yea idm if its "Balanced" ;)

@Seiranko - 9/10 youtubers agree Kronstadt appears to be tankier, As I haven't played it myself I have no option than to go with second hand info.

Players
8,061 posts
8,886 battles
30 minutes ago, OddityNZ said:

Yea idm if its "Balanced" ;)

@Seiranko - 9/10 youtubers agree Kronstadt appears to be tankier, As I haven't played it myself I have no option than to go with second hand info.

Kronshtadt basically has more hp, that's it. Alaska has a more submerged citadel, 27 mm extremities plating that can bounce 38 cm shells (Kron only has 25 mm) and Alaska has 36 mm centre deck that shatters most cruiser HE and bounces Yamato shells even, while Kron is a uniform 25 mm across the whole deck. There is a reason LWM rates Alaska the best protected cruiser at T9 and 1v1 Alaska should usually just trash a Kronshtadt.

• Cool 2

Players
930 posts
8,866 battles
12 minutes ago, fallenkezef said:

When will British BBs get the torps they historicly had?

Why would they need those useless short-ranged torpedoes in fixed tubes? The Mutsu shows how bad the idea is...

[BHSFL]
Players
3,366 posts
13,049 battles
33 minutes ago, DJ_Die said:

Why would they need those useless short-ranged torpedoes in fixed tubes? The Mutsu shows how bad the idea is...

Those Mutsu torpedo's kill bots in Operations all the time.....this game has more modes then just random or ranked.

Other then that they can sometimes surprise human players unfamiliar with Mutsu's that hink thee can win close quarters combat with it. But those occasions are too rare in randoms to impact it's overall performance.

Players
930 posts
8,866 battles
2 hours ago, Beastofwar said:

Those Mutsu torpedo's kill bots in Operations all the time.....this game has more modes then just random or ranked.

Other then that they can sometimes surprise human players unfamiliar with Mutsu's that hink thee can win close quarters combat with it. But those occasions are too rare in randoms to impact it's overall performance.

If you get close enough to use those torpedoes.... youve done something wrong. And yes, bots are pretty stupid to it might work against them sometimes.

In other words, those torpedoes are absolutely useless as its mostly better to just shoot the target instead of wasting time trying to aim and launch those torps. Also, those juicy citadels on a broadside Mutsu at close range...

[BHSFL]
Players
3,366 posts
13,049 battles

As i understood heavy torpedo launchers on the decks or stored torpedo's near the lauchers are very dangerous to the battlecruiser/battleship  carrying them. A conventional exchange of large gun shellfire can easily detonate them for extreme damage.

You might say in that respect the Graf Spee's lauchers are in the perfect position to survive them being catastrophically hit. Most RL warships can miss a section of the stern or bow and stay buoyant.

I wonder if this is modelled in game, treating (loaded) torpedo tubes or their storage area as dangerous volatile magazines. .......i think not because DD would more readily explode if it was.

• Boring 1

[CATS]
Players
26,035 posts
14,077 battles
8 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I wonder if this is modelled in game, treating (loaded) torpedo tubes or their storage area as dangerous volatile magazines. .......i think not because DD would more readily explode if it was.

It is not modelled.

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,938 battles
16 hours ago, OddityNZ said:

This is purely for those ships that are in the game as Battle/Heavy Crusiers i.e Kronstadt, Stalingrad, Alaska etc, Not BB Battlecruisers like Graf Spee.

Erm. Spee is a CA in game. Are you mixing her up with the Scharnhorst?

As for why we don't see more ships of that type with them, it's mostly because the ship designs they're based on for the most part didn't have them. The ships that had torpedo tubes that aren't modeled in the game typically had submerged tubes, which WG for some reason seem reluctant to include. Dunno if it's game engine related, although if they can spawn a torpedo underwater in the submarine-themed halloween event, they could presumably do the same for a surface ship in the main game.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,366 posts
13,049 battles

If the (loaded) torpedo tubes were hit by penetrating projectiles and violently exploded breaking your ship in half or cracking it's spine - which was a RL risk - you would not even want them.

I also do not think Battleships and Battlecruisers in Randoms can use these heavy torpedo's often. I sometimes do wish the Roma would have them as i like to brawl with that one.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
18 hours ago, Seiranko said:

Also, Alaska is better armoured than Kronshtadt.

Is it? I mean I know it's plated in 27 mm compared to 25 mm, but even 27 can be overmatched by most BBs and the Kron has better citadel protection, no?

Properly angled, I would say Kron has the edge in the armor department. Or perhaps I'm mistaken.

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
49 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

I sometimes do wish the Roma would have them as i like to brawl with that one.

How do you not get only overpens when brawling up close with those railguns?

[SHAFT]
Players
9,432 posts
8,808 battles
6 minutes ago, Blixies said:

Is it? I mean I know it's plated in 27 mm compared to 25 mm, but even 27 can be overmatched by most BBs and the Kron has better citadel protection, no?

Alaska has 36mm Deck armor, so it will bounce more shells on average than a Kronshtadt can.

As for the Citadel: I feel Alaska has the upper hand there aswell. Sits so low in the water, i usually got only 1 when i shot one in a BB. Kronshtadts get eaten by >429mm caliber shells :cap_popcorn: (because of the overmatch on the citadel deck). My highest damage salvo ever was 60k Musashi vs Kronshtadt :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Beta Tester, Players
2,160 posts
6,454 battles
4 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Alaska has 36mm Deck armor, so it will bounce more shells on average than a Kronshtadt can.

As for the Citadel: I feel Alaska has the upper hand there aswell. Sits so low in the water, i usually got only 1 when i shot one in a BB. Kronshtadts get eaten by >429mm caliber shells :cap_popcorn: (because of the overmatch on the citadel deck). My highest damage salvo ever was 60k Musashi vs Kronshtadt :cap_haloween:

Well then, I stand corrected!

[BOBS3]
Beta Tester
500 posts
16,904 battles

Yoshino torpedoes on ST
Torpedo tubes — 4x4 610 mm. Maximum damage — 23767. Range — 12.0 km. Speed — 67 kt. Reload time — 120 s. Launcher 180 degree turn time — 7.2 s. Torpedo detectability — 1.7 km.

(Work in Progress all characteristics are subject to change)

Beta Tester
110 posts
6,246 battles

If the Yoshino has decent armour and doesn't get citadelled like the Azuma currently does from all angles then it sounds like a good ship to get.

Hopefully its not Steel or Coal as I don't have that much of either...

[RO-RN]
Players
852 posts
10,547 battles

Kronstadt tanky))) you are funny and why does every ship in the game needs to have torpedoes? lest give torpedoes to all cruisers, battleships, carriers and torpedo reload booster for all destroyers that sounds so fun right? 

Sign in to follow this