You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
MrFingers

Your LEAST played premium ships?

87 comments in this topic

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
3,242 posts

Something I was wondering. Some players may have amassed quite a fleet of premiums already, all fighting for their fair share of attention. So I was wondering, which premium ships (gifted, rewards, bought) do not see any action at all, or only extremely rarely, despite being in your port for quite some time?

I'll kick off, I'll split it in 2 groups, T2-T4, and T5-10.

• T2-4: In general I don't use them because of the low credit income and that they can't be used for missions (WG: please address stuff like this, make more low-tier content!). All with single-digit battles played. Notable mentions for Varyag, Albany & Diana for being very underwhelming ships.
    • Tachibana: gotten for free from a WG contest: T2 gunboat, nice ship, but T2. Not a dedicated clubber
    • Tachibana Lima: gotten for free from a mission: I already have the normally coloured Lima:
    • Smith: gotten for free from a mission: meh, T2 ship. Not a bad thing, with the absurd reload on the torps. But still: T2
    • Albany: gotten for free back at the end of CBT: underwhelming!
    • Diana: gotten for free from a WG contest: underwhelming!
    • Varyag: gotten for free from a mission: underwhelming!
    • Emden: gotten for free from a marathon: memeworthy ship, but T2
    • Campbeltown: gotten for free from a mission: potential, but with a 2-gun broadside and only 3 torps (which hit like a train), a hard ship to master. I don't have the patience. Also T3...
    • Vampire: gotten for free from a marathon: idem als Campbeltown.
    • Yubari: spent some coal on it because "why not". Memeworthy with the insane accuracy and Defensive AA. Then CV rework happened. 
    • (I do have the König Albert (free doubloons) and Arkansas Beta which did see some use, but then again: not valid for missions, so their attractions are neutered!)

• T5-10: I'm not the best gunboat or cruiser player, so they see little use. Sad, because maybe I should give them a try:
    • Marblehead: gotten for free from the Lootboy-codes. Underwhelming Omaha-iteration, and given the dire T5 matchmaker, it's masochism taking one out
    • Texas: bought during the fundraiser for the real Texas. Again harsh matchmaker + carriers knowing they should avoid it. Now nowhere an AA powerhouse it used to be.
    • OktoRev: gotten for free in the marathon. Handy to have a Russian premium that makes some money. Strong ship, but I can't get it to work. Also T5 matchmaking
    • Mutsu: gotten in a free santa-container. Ultimate glass-cannon, and my go-to Japanese BB trainer. Redundant since having Musashi & Yamamoto. Pity really, I liked that ship.
    • Warspite: did see A LOT of action as it was my first premium ships I bought. Now mothballed due to having Nelson, which is easy-mode. A pity really.
    • Shinonome: reward from campaign: find it hard to master, and is a tad underwhelming tbh. Also having KamiR, I have a go-to ship for torpedo-missions
    • Graf Spee: reward from campaign: hard-hitting hybrid, but hard to master, and easily punishable. Also a bit redundant with Scharnhorst in the ranks.
    • P.E. Friedrich: reward from campaign. Haven't touched it since the end of the NY-campaign. Underwhelming battlecruiser with fictitious stuff bolted to it: no interest in playing it. Would have been different in a 1918-refit
    • Aigle: reward from campaign: find it very hard to use. Did see some Co-Op action, but can't get it to work -> shelved.
    • Hood: gift from WG (thanks for that!). Nice ship, works like a charm, but the damage-numbers and XP/credit gain didn't work. Haven't tried it since the buff due to lack of time. Must revisit. Also a bit redundant with Nelson.

So overall, from the 35 premiums I have in my port (damn, that's a lot, eventhough a majority were freebies/"freebies"), 20 of them hardly see any use, or no use at all... Which I do find a staggering number. Luckily no money was "wasted" on it, with Texas being for the good cause and Warspite getting a full doubloon compensation for the RN Mission chain back in 2018.

What about you?

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,504 posts
8,838 battles
2 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Marblehead: gotten for free from the Lootboy-codes. Underwhelming Omaha-iteration, and given the dire T5 matchmaker, it's masochism taking one out

You leave Marblehead alone will you :fish_viking:

For T2-4

I dont play any seriously done there really... I got Smith, Emden and Tachibana L, all <10 games played. More like shitz and gigglz when i take them out.

Vampire, Dreadnought, Yubari basicly untouched so far (only Coop)

T5+

OR - doesnt connect with it, alltho everyone says its OP. Maybe if id play it more, but i usually play Marblehead on T5.

Shinonome - only a couple of games played in it. T6 is a meh tier imo.

PEF - see no reason to take it into Randoms, its fun in Operations tho.

DoY - didnt like it when i tried it. But now that i have better game knowledge, i think i could make it work. Then again, i have Nelson on T7 :Smile_medal:

Massa - won it, 3 games, feels really meh. Guns dont perform, secondaries dont work in that campy blob meta :Smile_sad:

Cossack - played a bit, i like it actually, but it was great in Dynamo where i played it.

Salem - 8 Games, i dont like TX so much anyway, and lately been playing GK because in a division others take DD/CA, so i go for BB.

And all the Kongo/Myoko clones. No real reason to play them, i did play the Kongos a bit because i was new to the game, but now they basicly just sit in port :Smile_teethhappy:

Players
3,296 posts
14,054 battles

Alabama. Why would I play it when I have the awesome NC. Played 1 game. Probably won’t play another.

Oleg. Played 1 game. Silver ships are better than it. Just sits their looking Russian.

I have a few more I don’t really play and probably never will.

[KAKE]
Players
2,521 posts
5,960 battles

Hm.

Let's ignore the Z-39 and Sims right now, because the only reasons I haven't played them much is that after I picked them up I've ended up playing other nations due to ongoing events. Same to a certain extent applies to LoYang, Prinz Eugen and Irian. These are all attractive ships that I definitely will be playing, just not right now.

T2-4: I just don't play these tiers much at all (for the same reasons as mentioned in first post), so Tachibana Lima, Smith, Yubari, Vampire, Varyag... none of these really see any real playtime. I just don't have the time to go sealclubbing between all the T5+ events going on.

T5-10

-Anshan: I got this in a crate at some point, and while it theoretically would be a good ship for training my PA DD skipper, I just never really played it much. I don't get to play the PA DDs much at all because there are other lines that I'm more interested in, and now that I have the LoYang (also from a crate), the Anshan feels a bit meh.

-Giulio Cesare: It's a good ship, I probably should take her out more often... it's just that she's not part of a tech tree line, so I'm sort of stuck with a low skill captain, and I guess I'm just not that fond of T5 BBs. 

I discovered that I've actually played a surprising amount of games in the Texas. I'm just absolute crap in her :Smile_hiding:

Players
311 posts
14,062 battles

For me the least played ship is graf spee, insteed getting best from both world cruisers and battleships, like alaska and kronstadht, he got worst from both world, no armor, no aa, only 6 guns with poor angle of fire and long reload, huge size, only good thing are torps, i play it really rarely.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,178 posts
14,106 battles

Tier I-IV: Vampire, Smith, because they are completly uninteresting

Tier V+: Anshan, Mutsu, Krasny, because they are quite "new" (got them over Christmas)

[LEEUW]
Players
2,259 posts
10,033 battles

Texas. 18 knots of pain. I can go make some tea and be back right in time to see that the battle has already been decided in either team's favor. :cap_tea:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
8,097 posts
8,914 battles
34 minutes ago, MrFingers said:

Tachibana: gotten for free from a WG contest: T2 gunboat, nice ship, but T2. Not a dedicated clubber

I mean, when I put a 19 pt Akizuki/Harekaze captain on the boat, Tachibana very much clubs everything at T2 and T3.

1 minute ago, GarrusBrutus said:

Texas. 18 knots of pain. I can go make some tea and be back right in time to see that the battle has already been decided in either team's favor. :cap_tea:

It's 21 knots, but pretty much also my first choice of premium I basically never touch and forget I have. Not just the speed though, but also pretty crap armour and I feel like Iron Duke basically does the same job better, especially given AA is nothing special anymore.

• Cool 1

Players
3,339 posts
16,088 battles

Tiers 2-4: Not played for reasons given by previous posters

T5: Kamikaze.  (Already have the Kamikaze R. Played one game for Snowflake. First enemy shell detonated me!)
T6: Prinz Eitel Friedrich  (Posted many times about my struggles with this ship)
T6: Huanghe  (Can't waste valuable time on a ship without any tech tree ATM)
T7: Indianapolis (I've come to respect Pensacola at T6, but struggle badly in all other US heavy cruisers, particularly this one)
T8: Vanguard (I tried to get the hang of this ship but just can't so I've now given up)
T8: Prinz Eugen (I prefer its sister Admiral Hipper. Because I personally find the heal only slightly useful, but the RoF of Hipper is very useful in PvE)

6,038 posts
10,428 battles

Oh boi the money sink (though probably the minority of here listed ships has been bought directly)... counting randoms only.

TII - TIV

TWO battles each: Smith

THREE battles each: Mikasa

SEVEN battles each: Campbelltown

EIGHT battles each: Vampire

More than TEN, but less than 30: Emden

TV - TIX

ONE battle each: Murmansk, Oktober Revolutskaja (though I played her a tad in ranked sprint), Duke of York, Musashi

TWO battles each: Texas, Krasny Krim, Ashitaka, Z-39

FOUR battles each: Perth, Gascogne, Alamaba

FIVE battles each: Tirpitz

SIX battles each: Kii, Black

SEVEN battles each: Ohotnik

EIGHT battles each: Leningrad

More than TEN, but less than 30: De Grasse, Mutsu, LoYang, HuangHe, Duca D'aosta, Prinz Eugen, Arizona, Dunkerque, Hood, Asashio, Shinonome, Nelson, Blyskawica, Marblehead, Indianapolis

Anything more than 30 battles doesn't count for me as "extremely" rare. Comparision: Most played sub TV would be the Ishizuchi, above TV the Warspite.

[DC_DK]
Players
3,037 posts
31,509 battles

Really only have one which is literally not being played much... Le Terrible got it in a santa box been played 2 or 3 times in coop and I disgust it. All others rotate in more or less regular interval

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,430 posts
13,375 battles

I think I have almost every 'standard' premium in the game (apart from some of the newest), and just don't have time to play all of them regularly.

That said, I don't think there are many that I actively avoid playing, in some mode or other; for example, I suck in cruisers, but still play my premiums, just in coop...

The ones that get the least use are the low tier ones, I suppose, as (apart from snowflakes) missions can't be done in them - to play a low tier premium really requires that I have more free time than usual, or am in a division with a newbie, or just want to muck about a bit...

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles

T2: Albany - Such a pretty ship but St Louis is so much more fun.

T3: Campbeltown - bought for history but a never really got into it.

T4: None

T5: Krispy Krem and Oct Rev - got both in Christmas boxes and they both suck.

T6: Mutsu - as above,  Graf Spee - I hate waiting for reload when you miss.

T7: Sims, not because it’s bad but all the other T7s I have are outstanding (Belfast, Hood, Scharnhorst and even Duca d’A)

T8: Cossack surprisingly. Again it’s not bad but Tirpitz and Big Mammy are great for farming secondary kills.

T9: None

T10: None

[VS-UK]
Players
47 posts
4,850 battles

I think the biggest offenders for making me think "I really wish I hadn't bothered getting you" are in some cases surprising.

PEF - not surprising, but it's underwhelming and boring. It doesn't even need to be strong, but it's just very beige.

Leningrad - loved the Blyska but found playing the Leningrad to be irritating and I couldn't make it work. 

Haida - its smoke doesn't mesh with how I play. I found it got in the way too much and it's versatility was predicated on the good teamwork of other dd's to spot. Cossack was everything I wanted haida to be.

Vanguard - not only does it suffer to a greater extent than, say tirpitz, when bottom tier (which are the vast majority of games) due to its armour but its ap in particular is ropey and unreliable. Gutted, because I do like collecting my rn ships.

[SCRUB]
Beta Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,147 posts
16,279 battles

Mikasa, Murmansk, Marblehead and Missouri i guess .. playing all others from time to time.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,405 posts

T1-4 : dont play those, do not count toward missions, can't use in Operations.

T5 : Should not use these, but count towards completing missions. Oktober Revolutyia is not used much since it was sunk in the T5 Ranked by Giulio Cesare's every match.

T6 : De Grasse.... Shitty large  glass cannon cruiser with no heal or smoke. Premium cruisers should have one of these.

T7 nothing comes to mind being bad

T8 Cossack....1 launcher, does not suit my limited DD skills.

T9 Jean Bart...seems to be powerful for some players but i don't know yet how to play it. Pales in raw power to the Mushashi.

Btw :

Mutsu is my most hours played ship, it's torpedo's are usefull in Operations playing agressive style.

PEF turns out to be an exceptionally brutal ship in Operations, if you run a secondary build.

Simms : my most well performing DD

Players
1,245 posts
9,277 battles

Must be the Varyag. Got it without asking for it, and I already got the Aurora which feels better.

[TRID]
Players
248 posts
4,909 battles

I have too many ships and too llittle time to play them all so there are many.

I see the least value in playing low tier premiums for the reasons already stated, and also ships belonging to nations that don't have tech tree lines in game (Poland, Commonwealth, Italian)

[-TPF-]
Players
3,827 posts
15,743 battles

I sell premiums I don't like or where I have a more fun / better fit silver ship at that Tier. So out of the ones I still have the least played is Giulio Cesare. Handsome ship, but way OP. And that makes it dull.

I can see Exeter falling into the disused category, too. Already having the Krasny Krym at Tier V I am used to being able to melt Tier VII BBs, and although Exeter does good overall damage it never feels likely to sink anything above its Tier. Given the ship's general fragility (and the the FurryTaco has working armour) it could do with a reload buff. 

[BAZI]
Beta Tester
2,851 posts
10,968 battles

The T2-3-stuff I dont even bother with.

Higher tiered ones that I rarely, touch (these days):

- Ishizuchi: No reason at all to play this boat. If you want a HE-BB there is the Orion.

- Marblehead: I dont even know where I got this from, but I also have a Murmansk which is just a bit better at almost everything.

- Dunkerque: My only ship I ever got out of a "normal" Supercontainer. Its okay, it just doesnt appeal to me at all.

- Graf Spee: Because of 6 guns with meh accuracy, actual DPM is le shitlord. 

Players
3,220 posts

For me it would be the Arizona and Texas, I may even sell them, then there is the Irian, just seems a premium Kutzov to me, probably there are other's but as stated elsewhere in various threads, Cruisers are a slow learning curve for me.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,430 posts
13,375 battles
6 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

For me it would be the Arizona and Texas, I may even sell them, then there is the Irian, just seems a premium Kutzov to me, probably there are other's but as stated elsewhere in various threads, Cruisers are a slow learning curve for me.

I would advise against selling premiums, more or less no matter how dreadful they are - at the very least, they insure against you getting them again in Xmas containers!

I struggle with cruisers too; I tend mainly to keep mine for use in coop, and ops (to a lesser extent) - missions come along quite often where they're a good choice, and (being premiums) you're more likely to come out ahead in rewards than you might in a silver equivalent.

I quite like Irian, although she doesn't do much that Kutuzov can't, apart from having the longer range torps - that's to be expected though, as MK is generally viewed as being OP...

• Cool 1

Players
387 posts

Once in a while i have a 'Night Of The Port Queens' and take out ships (premium and silver) that i haven't played in a while or hardly ever :)

Mostly it's a confirmation of my first impressions (e.g. P.E.F.) but sometimes i'm in for a surprise (e.g. Mutsu, Cossack)...