Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ZeuSueZ1337

Where are the mines?

7 comments in this topic

Question

[RDNT]
Players
11 posts

During a brief offline conversation with a few fellow captains of WoWs a few days ago we talked about mines, albeit in another context, but quickly it transferred into: why aren’t there a mine option implemented in WoWs?

During both WWI and WWII naval mines were and integral part of maritime warfare. They were deployed in harbours and straits to avoid enemy forces to enter. It could in our opinion provide a possible interesting aspect in gameplay.

We’ve did discuss this a length and identified some hot topics that need to be answered – and the big one at first: has this been considered and/or suggested before (a quick forum search suggest no) but if it had – and presumably been rejected – why?

If not, here’s our take on what it could add to the game:

-          On a lot of maps – even on Ocean – it would allow the landscape to “change” due to the barrier effect. Temporally, but still

-          DD’s could choose to have fewer torps and have mines instead. Either fixed numbers for balance of a full flexible range of torps/mines depending on tier, country etc.

-          It would implement an aspect of mine clearing on DD’s as well as spotting, capping etc.

-          It could work as a temporary barrier on a cap-zone, i.e. adding a layer to the game mechanics

-          Planes – fighters? – would gain additional purposes in spotting the mines

-          May even introduce cruisers (or even Battleships) to deploy them

-          Could add a mine-clearing upgrade on ships go further diversify ships characteristics

These are mostly a range of random thoughts but also intend for feedback from WG – but also fellow captains?

GEFECHTSTATION!

[Edit: not sure if its in the correct section - if not, feel free to place in the appropriate section]

Edited by ZeuSueZ1337

6 answers to this question

[CATS]
Players
17,841 posts
11,758 battles

Naval mines were not used in naval battles.

Mines were laid hours, mostly days and weeks in advance.

[RDNT]
Players
11 posts

"(...)integral part of maritime warfare(...)"

Fearing to appear pedantic AF I specifically didn’t write 'naval battels' since I’m aware of the deployment logistics surrounding mines.
However I still we believe it could be considered as an interesting game mechanics.

Your position seems quite obvious -  if I interpret you correctly?

Players
846 posts
14,685 battles

2 of 3 Players at the Moment seems to have problems to use WSAD buttons correctly. Excpecially W. 

So i am not a big fun in mechanics, that make the game more complicated. Plus: need more teamplay. 

• Funny 1

[CATS]
Players
17,841 posts
11,758 battles
31 minutes ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

"(...)integral part of maritime warfare(...)"

Fearing to appear pedantic AF I specifically didn’t write 'naval battels' since I’m aware of the deployment logistics surrounding mines.
However I still we believe it could be considered as an interesting game mechanics.

Your position seems quite obvious -  if I interpret you correctly?

What you were proposing are actions during battle.

Stuff that did not happen.

[RDNT]
Players
11 posts

@belalugosisdead: Oh my you’re right. Painfully so :D But I would regardless suggest that this function was a tier VII/VIII+ not anytime sooner. And not on premium ships as so to encourage that you gained playtime/experience to get access to ships with (or any) extra complexity.
-----
@ColonelPete: Ok. I get it - you're not a fan of this suggestion. Fair enough. But please don’t boil your argument down to: 

"

"
If that is the pinnacle of your argument.....:Smile_ohmy:

- Unlimited torps on dd (and cruisers)?
- Using consumables to recover "hit points" to prolong combat engagement, rather than sinkin’?

A pair of “stuff that did not happen”-actions (sticking with your argumentation) that didn’t happen either.
……and a glance over your other forum replies leaves me to think that further written engagements would prove futile. 

[CATS]
Players
17,841 posts
11,758 battles
20 minutes ago, ZeuSueZ1337 said:

@ColonelPete: Ok. I get it - you're not a fan of this suggestion. Fair enough. But please don’t boil your argument down to: 

"

"
If that is the pinnacle of your argument.....:Smile_ohmy:

Your argument was: "During both WWI and WWII naval mines were and integral part of maritime warfare"

I just put it in perspective.

For gameplay, see belalugosisdead answer.

Sign in to follow this