You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
loppantorkel

Submarine gameplay and mechanics - what would you like to see?

121 comments in this topic

[UNICS]
Players
3,380 posts
13,554 battles

Since cv rework is going along so smoothly, WG is probably already working full time on the introduction of the submarines class.

Some of us tried out the Halloween subs and while it was fun to try, it felt a bit too hectic for my liking. So how do you implement an ambush class that's sort of slow and very stealthy? Restrict the underwater time a lot? Increase the surface speed? Make it fast and stealthy but reduce the attack capabilities? 

What if: you introduced a sort of wormhole consumable for submarines? Yes it sounds stupid, but you'd get around a lot of the issues with this. Submarines would have the ability to travel on the surface and under water, but, primarily at the start of the match, submarines would be able to use their consumable to place themselves within a radius of 20km or so, in sub-surfaced mode, just to get themselves into their desired position. When consumable is used there's the ordinary CD. Restrictions of usage would be that your sub is outside of enemy sonar or vision when used.

Pros of this consumable would be that subs could be kept slow and stealthy (less bobbing up and down for air) and still remain close to action. Plays and counter plays could be balanced around this more easily around this than if subs were made viable through increased speed and compromises to the underwater capabilities.

Cons of this consumable is the term wormhole which will make posters think of Star Trek and immediately kneejerk.

Post your own thoughts of the upcoming submarine implementation and testing. Will it have the same success as the cv-rework? Will dds be reworked to fill a new role? Is the 1st of April Space Theme only the beginning of a new era for World of Warships?

• Cool 3

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
903 posts
4,163 battles

Cruisers/DDs need an automatic depth charge system, similar to AA. I wouldn't be capable of handling more than my ship and my guns.

Spoiler

Yes, I am still very salty about the current CV stuff; automatic DCP, autopilot, nothing I can do with my AA.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1
  • Angry 1

Weekend Tester
602 posts
5,884 battles

Put CVs and submarines in one game mode, and put all the other ships in a different one. Win win for everyone.

• Cool 10
  • Funny 5
  • Boring 2

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
763 posts

I rly rly hope they never introduce subs in random games. The balancing would be a nightmare. Just look at their ongoing CV "balance", of for that matter, arties in wot.

I like subs as a special event mode. I had fun against the bots. But in randoms....dear god, no.

• Cool 8

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

No freak consumable's, no haloween stuff....just the historic weapons they were in a in game usable way.

What i expect the WWI submarines  will be very alike to what DD are now :  spend most time on diesels on the surface, attack on the surface, and dive only to escape gunfire. Surface detection range alike DD of the tier.. Dive time relatively short. Slow under water. Deck gun(s) controllable by player.  Not very deep diving to escape depth charges. Main cause of destruction probably gunfire.

What i expect from early WWII submarines is very alike what DD are now : spend most time on diesels on the surface, attack on the surface, and dive only to escape gunfire. Surface detection range alike DD of the tier. Dive time longer but can only make speed on the surface. Slow under water. Deck gun(s) controllable by player. Medium depth diving to escape depth charges.

What i expect of late WWII submarines :  Relatively fast above and under water, can stay submerged a long time, possibly be allowed to use schnorkel/run on diesels on periscope depth, Surfaced detection range alike DD of the tier. Deep diving possible. Deck gun(s) controllable by player.

All submarines lauch torpedo's from the surface or at periscope depth. Periscope must give away submarines too on minimap in range of ships detection range to be balanced what game requires. No automatic depth charges, make that skill based, in the form of setting the correct depth and launching a pattern above the target. If automation is a must, then only the depth settings. Finding the submarines with methods somewhat alike RL detection methods, ASDIC and sonar  available in the tiers they belong to and before that only acoustics or even guessing as early submarines won't be able to be submerged for long. Aircraft must be given depth charges too. The ships hunting submarines will be DD, CL and CV. Torpedo damage should be balanced to be acceptable in game and rewarding for the patience submarine captains must have to position themselves and be hunted under water. Submarine torpedo's were the heaviest kind of torpedo's, so no light damage on hit.  They will be no DD in speed and torpedo walls, don't have as many guns, so are not even as dangerous as a DD are now. They will be an addition to the game, another flavour to be played.

Any fear of overpoweredness is rediculous, DD are much faster, can launch multiple torpedo walls from stealth, can burn BB down with HE fire from smoke. Submarines will not have all that.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Players
299 posts
1,444 battles

We have the rosy image of subs from films such as 'Run Silent, Run Deep' and the crew's hunt for 'Bungo Pete', and a great film it is.

But you should realise many of those important and interesting valves and pipes in a submarine are there to empty the toilet, and when one springs a leak it isn't necessarily sea water the crew are being sprayed with. Which basically sums up my thoughts of having subs in WoWs, you have shite above the waves with two CV's per battle, and shite down below.

• Funny 3

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles
22 minutes ago, 250swb said:

We have the rosy image of subs from films such as 'Run Silent, Run Deep' and the crew's hunt for 'Bungo Pete', and a great film it is.

But you should realise many of those important and interesting valves and pipes in a submarine are there to empty the toilet, and when one springs a leak it isn't necessarily sea water the crew are being sprayed with. Which basically sums up my thoughts of having subs in WoWs, you have shite above the waves with two CV's per battle, and shite down below.

The only actual submarine movie I ever saw was Das Boot, so... :D

[H_FAN]
Players
2,131 posts
28,072 battles
9 minutes ago, piritskenyer said:

The only actual submarine movie I ever saw was Das Boot, so... :D

Its being sent in at least my country (Sweden) right now as a newly made TV-series also. The first two episodes have now been aired, I wait a little because I want to see several in succesion.

That music is absolutely first class.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

I'd like to see them as PvE fun that never enters PvP matches

• Cool 4

[SCRUB]
Supertester, Players, Sailing Hamster
3,257 posts
3,486 battles
1 minute ago, Gnirf said:

Its being sent in at least my country (Sweden) right now as a newly made TV-series also. The first two episodes have now been aired, I wait a little because I want to see several in succesion.

That music is absolutely first class.

Yeah, I heard about the series, although from what I understand it's not as straightforward as the movie was, as it includes different subplots... I'll be watching it for sure, just not sure when.

[TTT]
Players
4,324 posts
7,937 battles

Submarine gameplay and mechanics - what would you like to see?

nothing, ever, in no form they could come up with. The gameplay on Halloween was a complete failure of utter boredom, and that was when we were playing subs, not playing against them.

• Cool 6

[DREAD]
Players
7,174 posts
5,661 battles
12 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

11 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

nothing, ever, in no form they could come up with. The gameplay on Halloween was a complete failure of utter boredom, and that was when we were playing subs, not playing against them.

Knowing WG I wouldn’t count on that. I think too many ppl want them and I think WG wants them too. 

Playing subs is one thing but what I am not sure about is counterplay. Looking at Auto-RNG AA against CVs my hopes aren’t exactly high for the counter-sub gameplay 

[RO-RN]
Players
484 posts
6,291 battles

How about NO! they were OP in the haloween event, destroyers barely could harm you and battleships were hopeless aganist you! NO to submarines!

• Cool 2

[UNICS]
Players
3,380 posts
13,554 battles
26 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

nothing, ever, in no form they could come up with.

That's what this thread is for :Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
1,544 posts
3,883 battles
29 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

This.

[UNICS]
Players
3,380 posts
13,554 battles
14 minutes ago, 1MajorKoenig said:

Knowing WG I wouldn’t count on that. I think too many ppl want them and I think WG wants them too. 

Playing subs is one thing but what I am not sure about is counterplay. Looking at Auto-RNG AA against CVs my hopes aren’t exactly high for the counter-sub gameplay 

I think WG is very hesitant to introduce a new class after what they've gone through with the cvs. ..but at the same time submarine is the next reasonable step to take. It will draw new players in and keep interest up, so I think they'll do more events with them before deciding. Hopefully full PvP events, if they think they have something worth trying.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,395 posts
8,063 battles

Christ wg cant implement cvs without stuffing it up so the idea of adding a completely new class that will be pure stealth/high damage capability is gonna make wg balance hamster drop dead

ps subs are boats and not ships so cant be added or they would have to change name to world of floating and sinking things:Smile_ohmy:

[DREAD]
Players
7,174 posts
5,661 battles
1 hour ago, loppantorkel said:

I think WG is very hesitant to introduce a new class after what they've gone through with the cvs. ..but at the same time submarine is the next reasonable step to take. It will draw new players in and keep interest up, so I think they'll do more events with them before deciding. Hopefully full PvP events, if they think they have something worth trying.

I think they have to go this way eventually. Just adding more ships which are all the same at the end won’t keep people excited forever.

I agree with that statement they shouldn’t rush this. I think especially the counterplay component needs careful consideration 

Beta Tester
4,528 posts
9,851 battles

I'd like to see..

not subs 

outside operations/events/1st april

• Cool 1

[OCTO]
Players
951 posts
17,651 battles

Submarines are coming, like it or not.

Some of the reasons are that there will be more premiums to sell and tech trees to grind. 

Frankly, I can not imagine that they will be worse than CV rework. 

[PONY]
Beta Tester
4,795 posts
8,020 battles

They allready said Subs may be come AFTER all ships lines they want to implement are done. Since there are no Russian BBs (will come i know) and French DDs (after Russian BBs i know) and whole italian BB, Cruisers and DD, it will take awhile to meet them in Game. I would prefer to see them only in Operations or PVE Events, I expect them to be useless in a Seafight. Too slow, too fragile.