Sign in to follow this  
Bindolaf_Werebane

Newbie's impressions, 6 months in

5 comments in this topic

Players
2 posts
1,316 battles

First, a couple of disclaimers.

A. I realize this is a free to play game. I demand nothing and expect nothing.

B. If you feel the need to post something along the lines of "git gud", don't. Remember, I'm a newbie.

On to my post.

As I stated in the title, I've been playing around 6 months. I started to play with  a friend - and because I like ships. I decided to read some guides, check out some videos (Flamu's among others) and take my time. I decided I'd get to tier V with all ships of three nations first, before moving on. Which I did. The game was new and fun. Getting to know each hull, the differences, how to shoot, how to stay concealed etc. You know the drill. Slowly, I crept up to Tier VI and - a few days ago - to VII. The game is not fun anymore. I thought about the reasons and I have concluded the following:

1. I am not very good (but we knew that already).

2. There is literally no place to play with other people who are not so good. I tested this hypothesis lately, by starting another nation and staying in Tiers 2 / 3. Invariably, someone, often a whole division, will swoop in and destroy the opposition, racking 4 - 6 kills each. One player. What you call a "seal clubber". In almost every game.

3. Maybe I was unlucky or imprudent with my picks, but I've noticed something of a trend. I play 2-3 great hulls, then hit a roadblock (as in a terrible one). Some examples:

i. The Fubuki halted my enjoyment of torpedo boats abruptly. I had to use Free Experience to upgrade its tubes.

ii. I played the US Cruiser line, which was a mistake. I made it to the Omaha, sold it and never looked back. (Resist your temptation and read point B above)!

iii. I played the US Battleships and enjoyed them quite a bit. They are slow, but you have to work around it. Their armor is decent, their guns pack a punch. But then, I was punished with the Colorado. Slower, more cumbersome and with actually worse armor than the New Mexico (against the higher tier opponents). So again, I'd either have to use Free Experience to upgrade it fast, or jump ahead to the next Battleship. Which I am not going to do.

iv. I played some Carriers. They had a tactical element, were fun. Then the update came. It was different. Twitchier, but I gave it a shot. Got the Ryujo. AA is ridiculous and it's no fun launching a weapon, flying it for 50 seconds, then have it do 2k damage and be destroyed, only to launch the next one and repeat.

I could go on. But I probably won't. Once again, I will be the first to say I'm not good. I don't feel the drive to get there, though. There is no fair space to do so. There is no progression that is harsh but gives incentives. There are bottlenecks and people with self image problems at every turn.

Reading back, this post comes off bitchier than I intended, but "that's them apples", I guess. My rule is to uninstall games that are no fun and, but for my friend, I would have done so. It would interest me to find out what other new players think, how they deal with these, or other, issues.

Thanks.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
1 hour ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

i. The Fubuki halted my enjoyment of torpedo boats abruptly. I had to use Free Experience to upgrade its tubes.

Stock ships almost always are a pain to get through. Using FreeXP to unlock the researchable modules is perfectly normal & a common occurrence

ii. I played the US Cruiser line, which was a mistake. I made it to the Omaha, sold it and never looked back. (Resist your temptation and read point B above)!

US cruisers get their respective lines identity at tier 6 - both the CA and CL lines

And it's not like they are bad at lower ones - St.Clubber is a better BB than most if not all t3 BBs & even some t4 ones, Phoenix and Omaha are very capable ships, just that they're floating citadels (which most cruisers are so that's not particularly unique)

iii. I played the US Battleships and enjoyed them quite a bit. They are slow, but you have to work around it. Their armor is decent, their guns pack a punch. But then, I was punished with the Colorado. Slower, more cumbersome and with actually worse armor than the New Mexico (against the higher tier opponents). So again, I'd either have to use Free Experience to upgrade it fast, or jump ahead to the next Battleship. Which I am not going to do.

Colorado is a straight up better NewMex. Same speed, same general / better belt armour, more health, more AA, massive improvement for everything that concerns guns.

If you say she's worse as a stock ship - again, nearly every stock ship is bad, using FreeXP to unlock at least some of its modules is perfectly normal.

iv. I played some Carriers. They had a tactical element, were fun. Then the update came. It was different. Twitchier, but I gave it a shot. Got the Ryujo. AA is ridiculous and it's no fun launching a weapon, flying it for 50 seconds, then have it do 2k damage and be destroyed, only to launch the next one and repeat.

CV rework is still ongoing. Nothing is guaranteed to stay as is, everything can change.

Also - try dodging flak every once in a while, can really help with the survivability of your planes

• Cool 3

[EUR]
Players
410 posts
4,612 battles
3 hours ago, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

First, a couple of disclaimers.

A. I realize this is a free to play game. I demand nothing and expect nothing.

B. If you feel the need to post something along the lines of "git gud", don't. Remember, I'm a newbie.

On to my post.

As I stated in the title, I've been playing around 6 months. I started to play with  a friend - and because I like ships. I decided to read some guides, check out some videos (Flamu's among others) and take my time. I decided I'd get to tier V with all ships of three nations first, before moving on. Which I did. The game was new and fun. Getting to know each hull, the differences, how to shoot, how to stay concealed etc. You know the drill. Slowly, I crept up to Tier VI and - a few days ago - to VII. The game is not fun anymore. I thought about the reasons and I have concluded the following:

1. I am not very good (but we knew that already).

2. There is literally no place to play with other people who are not so good. I tested this hypothesis lately, by starting another nation and staying in Tiers 2 / 3. Invariably, someone, often a whole division, will swoop in and destroy the opposition, racking 4 - 6 kills each. One player. What you call a "seal clubber". In almost every game.

3. Maybe I was unlucky or imprudent with my picks, but I've noticed something of a trend. I play 2-3 great hulls, then hit a roadblock (as in a terrible one). Some examples:

I could go on. But I probably won't. Once again, I will be the first to say I'm not good. I don't feel the drive to get there, though. There is no fair space to do so. There is no progression that is harsh but gives incentives. There are bottlenecks and people with self image problems at every turn.

Reading back, this post comes off bitchier than I intended, but "that's them apples", I guess. My rule is to uninstall games that are no fun and, but for my friend, I would have done so. It would interest me to find out what other new players think, how they deal with these, or other, issues.

Thanks.

I liked yr post and it is from a fresh perspective some don't want to hear or undestand. It very difficult to be new in an older game, more so than being newbie in a new one. I settled with a couple of ships than I can play well myself and abandoned most lines. Stopped playing dds and I was really good with some (terrible with most). In this way I can enjoy myself and have the time to breathe. There are ships that suit yr style in the higher tiers and you can find them and sometimes they can be ships people dont like as much but you can play them well. I love gneiss for example and sailing with the Richelieu. With some ships I perform very well but with others Im awful but the one I agree with you the most is that the experienced (and well 'prepared') players flooding lower tiers are making life hard for the new players, among some other things I will not mention respecting your post.  

• Cool 1

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
903 posts
4,158 battles

You need to think differently about those roadblocks. Those ships require different ways of play than you have been used to before. See it as a challenge to keep your St Louis alive or try to figure out why the Colorado is a T7 and not the NM. See spoiler.

You won't only find seal clubbers at tier 3 or 4, you will find them at all tiers. Players like to play their best ships so now and than. Some find it really exciting to nuke beginners at tier 2 or 3, others are capable of doing this at tier 10. Wouldn't you go back to the tier you feel most comfortable at to have a few games where you feel gut?

Try to figure out why you get killed, or why you lose. Sometimes it is pretty obvious. 

The overal How it Works series is great for new, and the more experienced, players. The Colorado has big guns, so your AP shells will go through bows like butter vs most ships at that tier. Please tag/quote/message me if you need help with it later on. Players on the forum get a ping in such occasions :)
Good luck and I hope you will find some joy again. It takes a long time for most to figure out the basics, for me it was an even longer time. I am still learning something new every day :) 

Spoiler

• Cool 3

[SM0KE]
Players
3,067 posts
7,531 battles
On 3/23/2019 at 7:00 PM, Bindolaf_Werebane said:

Fubuki is actually pretty worthwhile, once you've got it fully upgraded; as @wilkatis_LV points out, free-xping crucial modules on ships is very commonplace (and abundantly sensible) on a lot of ships, especially if you want to play randoms.

This, as I imagine you already know, is part of WG's F2P model: they're hoping you'll spend money to convert xp on elited ships to free xp. You'll find generating free xp to get easier as you progress; it's a good idea to actively farm it by mounting suitable boosting signals and cammo on the ships you do best with, and play them a bit to generate more. Operations are useful for this too, once you have suitable ships that you can perform reliably well with in those modes.

Don't use free xp to research entirely new ships; try and force yourself to only use it to research modules.

BTW if you are short of free xp, play stock ships in coop: you'll get smaller rewards, but you won't be facing fully tooled-up opponents in a sub-optimal ship. Then transfer the ship to randoms once you've unlocked/mounted the needed module upgrades.

Specifically regarding Fubuki (and the rest of the IJN torp line): bear in mind you are heavily reliant on stealth with these ships; as a T6, Fubuki specifically is also facing some very effective opponents - if you get up-tiered, there are multiple radar-equipped ships out there, not to mention multiple DDs that will out-spot you, and shred you if they find you (Harekaze, Lightning, Cossack etc.). There are also plenty of CVs running around, who can render your concealment moot. So what? So, I might suggest playing an alternative line of DDs at the moment, at least until the IJN ones are in a better spot e.g. the US DDs, and some of the Russians, do pretty well with the current meta...

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this