You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
NoobySkooby

Ok, I wasn't going to do this....

14 comments in this topic

Players
1,448 posts
3,995 battles

But I like the speedy DD's, they however do not like me, now I have watched all the vids, I have even observed team mates do amazing things in them, I however absolutely cannot make them work, tiers 4, 5, and 6 is where I am told to go and learn.

Two things I have learnt, if you cap, as son as you enter, turn around ready to the exit, and don't sit in the smoke, useful except for me nothing works, afraid to say that unless in a division, and that depends who I am with in said division, DD' are out of the question, and that is extremely annoying.

However I find I am spotted first, which leads to a quick trip to the port, and that is on the maps with caps, as for the ones without caps, apart from hugging rocks I do not have a clue, and this leads me to very grave frustration, which is even sadder as I like this game.

Help a poor noob out please, although that could be deemed mission impossible lol

• Cool 1

[PN]
Players
763 posts
4,953 battles

Help comes from where least expected.

As a fellow novice that could not play destroyers I can tell you that the hints, tips and advise I got from this thread helped me go from utter failure to above average. In one month's time.

Hope it helps you as well

Regards

Saltface

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,581 posts
10,610 battles

You asked, the forum will deliver. Read @Saltface thread. You’ll get a lot of tips there. Post replays and we’ll break down what you did well, not so well and what you could do differently. Watch others replays. I highly recommend it and not just the YouTube CC’s who only put up the best of the best but from us. The standard player base. I have two accounts with replays, many DD games across all tiers and lines on the world of warships replay site, link here: https://replayswows.com/

I have replays up for both my accounts. Feel free to watch them and I’ll happily answer questions as to why I did or didn’t do things. My name tags obviously Bear_Necessities but also Many_metal_fishes. Any other questions just ask buddy.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
5,390 posts
6,781 battles

We need replays for that.

General advice: If you are getting oustpotted all the time, you dont have Concealment Expert i guess. Its pretty essential these days, starting pretty much at T4-5 already.

Also its benefitiary to know, which DDs have which concealment. So if you play a DD with meh concealment, and you are facing IJN DDs, they most likely WILL outspot you. Unless they dont have CE, but you shouldnt count on that. If they dont have CE, better yet, you can then outspot them by a couple of hundred meters.

[OGHF]
Players
815 posts
13,309 battles

Can i also suggest that when you get to see the Teams loading screen before you actially enter the battle screen, check your opponants DD’s by hovering your cursor over the DD silhouette  of the opposition and check the ships stats compared to yours, so you will know who to stay away from and who to attack.

Players
292 posts
6,784 battles

Just be mindful that not all DDs are created equal: some will reward aggressive play and cap contention against other DDs, while some are better standing off to spot and stealth torp then to try and knife fight.

13 minutes ago, Cyclops_ said:

Can i also suggest that when you get to see the Teams loading screen before you actially enter the battle screen, check your opponants DD’  by hovering your cursor over the DD silhouette  of the opposition and check the ships stats compared to yous, so you will know who to stay away from anfpd who to attack.

Case in point: you need to know who you're likely to run into and whether you can take them out first.

• Cool 1

Players
6,133 posts
8,353 battles
3 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

But I like the speedy DD's

-speedy

-DDs

pick one. Because closest to "speedy DD" would be Shimakaze and Grozovoi due to base speed of 39kts. Rest of destroyers have 35-38kts base speed, others clocking 40kts+ aren't destroyers:Smile_popcorn:

Players
1,448 posts
3,995 battles

Aha, captain skills, I forgot that little gem, shame I moved some 10 pointers to tier 1 (another crazy idea that never worked out) cost a fortune in doubloons, WG are doing well out of me, lol, now it looks like back up the tiers they go, 4 or 5 is the big question?

Players
1,448 posts
3,995 battles
3 hours ago, Panocek said:

-speedy

-DDs

pick one. Because closest to "speedy DD" would be Shimakaze and Grozovoi due to base speed of 39kts. Rest of destroyers have 35-38kts base speed, others clocking 40kts+ aren't destroyers:Smile_popcorn:

I was thinking of the tier 4 Chinese DD that a certain CC says can rival the Clemson, talking of tier 4, I guess or am assuming that the that might teach the element of dodging the CV's which are often two per team.

Players
1,448 posts
3,995 battles
3 hours ago, DanSilverwing said:

Just be mindful that not all DDs are created equal: some will reward aggressive play and cap contention against other DDs, while some are better standing off to spot and stealth torp then to try and knife fight.

Case in point: you need to know who you're likely to run into and whether you can take them out first.

Good useful tip never even knew you could do that, I suppose the would tell you what the ship name is too right?

Players
1,448 posts
3,995 battles
6 hours ago, Saltface said:

Help comes from where least expected.

As a fellow novice that could not play destroyers I can tell you that the hints, tips and advise I got from this thread helped me go from utter failure to above average. In one month's time.

Hope it helps you as well

Regards

Saltface

Done,  I will try to refer to it and not necro the thread lol.

Players
1,681 posts
8,664 battles
3 hours ago, Panocek said:

others clocking 40kts+ aren't destroyers:Smile_popcorn:

Blyska? 42 knots and looks like a DD to me....

Players
6,133 posts
8,353 battles
6 hours ago, invicta2012 said:

Blyska? 42 knots and looks like a DD to me....

Now re-read my post, besides Błyskawica is a premium. And then 6.8km concealment is somewhat lacking considering oposition.

[JEANS]
Players
290 posts
5,645 battles

Just had a look at your stats over at https://wows-numbers.com/player/501423319,NoobySkooby/ and it seems you are having quite alot of premiums and have grinded some different ships. 

Looking at your ships I would give you this recommendation:

- Learning stealth torpedoes: Isokaze & Kamikaze

- Learning KM hydro style: T-61

- Learning IJN dakka dakka: Akizuki

- Learning the USN smoke firing: Clemson

But as many people are saying, look at some videos, lool at the enemy teams composition and try to forsee what you will meet in the cap or at the flank etc. 

As for captain skills I would suggest the following for you:

1 point - Priority Target (know when you are a target) 

2 points - Last Stand (be able to bail even when disabled) 

3 points - Survivability Expert (extra hitpoints is always good) 

4 points - Concealment Expert (more stealthy) 

And as a final advice, dont rush to higher tiers to quick, the grind may be booring but skipping ships will sometimes make you lose the red line of that line, like how Mahan is a decent transition ship between Farragut and Benson.