You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Kapten_Kaos

CV rework appreciation thread

118 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
113 posts
1,842 battles

I know that some players disagree, but I just wanna say Thanks for the incredible CV rework that has been done during my absence from the game.

Finally on par with the other classes in terms of gameplay enjoyment and immersion, and Im happy to have began exploring these tech tree lines for the first time really.

And Im glad to see an increased prevalence of CVs joining battles now.
CVs are important, because they add depth to the game, and gives meaning to the AA part of every ship profile. Moreover, planes add historical significance, and look cool ofc.

The only thing I dont like is being under-tiered against opponents that melt my planes too fast to be fair. But Ill take it, and aiming for t10.

Good on you, WG!

• Cool 14
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 8

Players
1,161 posts
6,126 battles

Brace yourself for a storm to come...

• Funny 4

[NWP]
Players
1,584 posts
10,610 battles
5 minutes ago, Zuihou25 said:

Brace yourself for a storm to come...

When’s this storm coming? I’ve got plans to make you know. Can’t wait around all day in the hopes of it arriving. 

• Funny 1

[NWP]
Players
1,584 posts
10,610 battles
21 minutes ago, Kapten_Kaos said:

I know that some players disagree, but I just wanna say Thanks for the incredible CV rework that has been done during my absence from the game.

Finally on par with the other classes in terms of gameplay enjoyment and immersion, and Im happy to have began exploring these tech tree lines for the first time really.

And Im glad to see an increased prevalence of CVs joining battles now.
CVs are important, because they add depth to the game, and gives meaning to the AA part of every ship profile. Moreover, planes add historical significance, and look cool ofc.

The only thing I dont like is being under-tiered against opponents that melt my planes too fast to be fair. But Ill take it, and aiming for t10.

Good on you, WG!

At least WG made some people happy. That’s a plus I suppose.

Players
1,161 posts
6,126 battles

You've got plans to make me know? O_O Now i'm worried.

OH YOU MEANT "I'VE GOT PLANS TO MAKE, YOU KNOW?"

[BLITZ]
Players
2,641 posts
9,896 battles
2 minutes ago, Zuihou25 said:

You've got plans to make know? O_O Now i'm worried.

Let's eat grandma

• Funny 2

[BHSFL]
[BHSFL]
Players
1,925 posts

I like CV rework too. Use them a lot in T6 operations to (almost) full satisfaction. Maybe 1 negative thing : the rocket fighter nerfs make it impossible to stop bot DD's entering port zones and such objectives. When in Japanese CV you can't stop them with divebombs aiter, because AP.

It is a pity PvP is considered so important the rest of the game has to suffer too.

• Angry 1

Players
2,281 posts
245 battles

I like playing them more than i face them lol. But otherwise i dont mind the rework either, but still needs work regardless.

[QEF]
Players
28 posts
5,903 battles

I had to learn for a Test. Since the rework I stopped playing. My grades improved.

• Funny 1

Players
372 posts
14,272 battles

Nice to see such a positive opinion. 

personally I'm not so taken with the CV re work as I find it rather boring, however considering the very high prevalence of CVs in game now, at all tiers clearly a lot of people are enjoying playing them. 

Beta Tester
106 posts
2,729 battles

I am happy that I don't have to do the fighter minigame anymore. While it felt good to deplane the enemy it was rather boring.

It might just be a bit too much on the receiving end since if I truly want to I can pretty much claim any ship in any situation.

[D_R_M]
Players
905 posts
15,915 battles

I played the game for several games in randoms for the first time this weekend since the rework, and the game seems about fine as it was. My issue now with the rework is rather all the mess it created when it was released in a form that made CVs to powerful, followed by a sting of "panic nerfs and buffs". Most of the people I know stopped playing the game because of that, and have now found other games to play instead :(

[O-P-C]
Players
407 posts
8,836 battles

ive started playing some other games with warplanes ,but without wg logo,  much better,....

[GURKA]
[GURKA]
Players
2,928 posts
7,250 battles
30 minutes ago, steviln said:

I played the game for several games in randoms for the first time this weekend since the rework, and the game seems about fine as it was. My issue now with the rework is rather all the mess it created when it was released in a form that made CVs to powerful, followed by a sting of "panic nerfs and buffs". Most of the people I know stopped playing the game because of that, and have now found other games to play instead :(

Wargamins said, that the release will need hotfixes, nothing unexpected happened

[D_R_M]
Players
905 posts
15,915 battles
8 minutes ago, Pikkozoikum said:

Wargamins said, that the release will need hotfixes, nothing unexpected happened

Yes, but it still seems amateurish for me. I have no statistics, but several players i know played something else while the game was a mess at start of rework, but found out they liked those games better and stayed there even when the mess was most cleared up. I saw among other things that War Thunders ships got a big increase in player numbers during the start of the rework, but it seems most have gone back here now since player numbers for ships are so low there it makes it much less fun to play. 

[SCRUB]
Players
3,210 posts
8,367 battles

The rework was a nice excuse for me to limit my gameplay and invest the time spent here in some more important aspects of my life.

I have not "rage quit" , nor have I cried on the forums...

I still like the game... just the "passion" has gone. 

And to my clan mates... hope none take it as I am avoiding any1... its just that I dont want to play in divisions without some "love" for the game.

Currently I only play coop now and then... but will return in time (hopefully).

[AAO]
[AAO]
Players
53 posts
11,208 battles

My take after watching KoTS. A lot has been changed yet nothing changes. The team with the better CV wins.

• Cool 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,066 posts
15,733 battles
1 hour ago, steviln said:

I have no statistics

According to maplesyrup population has stayed stable. The only slump in player numbers we've seen is the one we see every year around this time.

• Cool 1

[AAO]
[AAO]
Players
53 posts
11,208 battles
11 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

According to maplesyrup population has stayed stable. The only slump in player numbers we've seen is the one we see every year around this time.

Player population might be stable, but the game is being played less.

Here's a graph from battles played during the last 8 weeks.
-Blue: 2019 (430k accounts)
-Orange: 2018 (360k accounts)

image.png.aa14f3b36af572ae6a7d7cf78c42ad8d.png

[JRM]
Players
1,998 posts
16,187 battles

Well that has sence last year the first line was french bbs iirc? Its quite logical that bbs, beeing the much more if not the most popular class, generated much more games while people where grinding them out in comparison with cvs

Beta Tester
195 posts
7,081 battles

i like the new style too, what i dont like is that scouting and supporting teammates and blocking caps for enemies does not reward propperly.

So while you wander through tiers practice to scout a bit and protect the team where possible and see that you get enough damage done to make a few credits.

For the lower tier stuff, lategame is your domain if you are a tier6 cv in a tier8 match, spot support and go for the isolated ones and look where you are flying to avoid the flak bursts.

uuuh almost forgot, lower tier fighters shredd hicher tier bombers just fine so fear not popping thise above your team.

• Cool 1

Players
440 posts
8,131 battles
Gonna quote myself here, from what i wrote in our discord server a while ago. Basically, i liked the old gameplay, but i also really like the new gameplay is what it boils down to. 

You know, sitting here on a sunday night after playing among others quite a good number of CV battles, but also non-CV battles, im gonna write a small review on the rework. I used to be sceptical of the rework, cause i was a fan of the old gameplay. I liked the US carriers, i had the Midway and the Saipan among others, familiarised myself with fighter vs fighter combat, spotting mechanics, knew all AA ranges by heart and knew exactly how to tackle basically any target- or which targets just to straightout ignore. On the other hand, in my Flint, Atlanta, Missouri etc i used to laugh my balls out when a CV tried to come for me- because i'd know exactly how to make sure not to get hit. And in stuff without any AA, such as the Mogami or some destroyers, well- i'd try to anticipate on possible strikes. Find AA cover, or make sure you can dodge torpedos when you're expecting them. So i liked the old meta. When the rework open beta came, i liked the idea, but the actual mechanics were horrible. And they kept changing, till where we are now. And right now, i think it's absolutely awesome how you have to keep thinking about which aircraft type to take in a CV, keep a close eye on your reserves and make the choice between engaging hard AA targets or straightout ignoring them- only to find that they might be a pain in the [edited]in the end game. On the non-CV side, i can basically counterplay CVs in any ship- but you gotta know what CVs work like. Know how to steer out, brake, where to focus your AA, when to switch AA side, and so on. The current meta is in my opinion really immersive for CV players, and it offers lots of counterplay possibilities for "victims"- if they wish to learn so. .... continues after break

Basically, i found that i hardly ever look back on the old CV gameplay. Which i think is rather surprising, considering that with nearly 25% of my battles i'm one of the more dedicated CV players. And i consider that a very good thing- cause i like the new CVs a bit more each battle. Overall verdict: While i'm not even sure i wouldve said we needed the rework per se (though i understand that they did it), I'm a 100% fan now. Absolutely love the new gameplay, and if i had to choose- i'd actually go with the new gameplay. Simply cause it's so much more engaging and immersive. One sidenote is though that i'd love to have the old CVs back in a PvE mode aswell, but thats probably just me.

Grtz  Isoruku_Yamomoto
  • Cool 1

[CR33D]
Players
3,161 posts
16,180 battles
1 hour ago, Isoruku_Yamamoto said:
. On the non-CV side, i can basically counterplay CVs in any ship- but you gotta know what CVs work like. Know how to steer out, brake, where to focus your AA, when to switch AA side, and so on. The current meta is in my opinion really immersive for CV players, and it offers lots of counterplay possibilities for "victims"- if they wish to learn so. .... 

please enlighten us about how you counterplay midway DBs. you can smoke before getting detected by planes. there is absolutely no counterplay. since they changed AA mechanics and ranges aswell, its even harder to stay in AA range of your friendly ships. before the rework, a DD could easly get into the cap if there was a AA CA behind an island next to the cap. right now how much support can you get from a full AA build worcester or mino which is sitting behind the closest island to cap? absolutely none. so, only counterplay is sitting as a huge block of ships. and this leads to the sh.ty gameplay we have right now. so once again great work WG... :Smile_facepalm:

Players
440 posts
8,131 battles
5 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

please enlighten us about how you counterplay midway DBs. you can smoke before getting detected by planes. there is absolutely no counterplay. since they changed AA mechanics and ranges aswell, its even harder to stay in AA range of your friendly ships. before the rework, a DD could easly get into the cap if there was a AA CA behind an island next to the cap. right now how much support can you get from a full AA build worcester or mino which is sitting behind the closest island to cap? absolutely none. so, only counterplay is sitting as a huge block of ships. and this leads to the sh.ty gameplay we have right now. so once again great work WG... :Smile_facepalm:

Ooh there is counterplay against dive bombers. You have to see where they come from. If they come from along the axis of your ship- try to steer right or left. If they come from the side, pull up hard or brake hard and steer to the far side of where they are coming from. 
The problem with most people complaining about not being able to dodge CV strikes is that they don't know how the CV aiming works (not per se saying this goes for you, just in general). Destroyers who know how Rocket aiming works will steer in, causing the CV to often "overshoot" which costs a lot of time and sometimes even entire squads of aircraft. While DDs that steer out against rockets- yeah, CVs punish those cause you have more time on the approach. 
With torpedos and dive bombers its roughly the same, but they're not all that intuitive- which is why i can really recommend anyone to play CVs even if its only to learn how to defend yourself against them. 
I always advised this before the rework too, and i do this for any class really, not only CVs. Not playing any DDs at all is also a dumb idea IMO.

Anyway; i came here to tell that i like the rework, which i genuinely do. I wont deny that WG has in my opinion missed the goals that they intended with the rework to some extent- but thats something different. 
Also, before the rework a HE divebomber midway would be able to take ~12k off a destroyer in a 2 group run quite frequently without using manual drops, i prefer the idea of getting destroyed by someone who actually aimed for me then (when in a destroyer). 

• Cool 1