You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Logan_MountStuart

Operation Killer Whale (Op of the Week)

74 comments in this topic

Players
241 posts
5,398 battles

Apologies if this is a very stupid question but I am confuddled! :cap_look:

First experience of Operations today on Killer Whale.

The instructions state we need to kill "Battleships Furi and Dono", but elsewhere it states we need to kill two carriers, nd despite completing the operation successfully on half a dozen occasions, mainly with 3, and once with 4 stars, there has been no sign of either "Furi and Dono" nor any carriers.

Put a simple man out of his misery by explaining the undoubtedly simple thing I'm missing! Thanks.

Players
2,834 posts

I think they spawn with the last waves in the flanks, but not at same flank and most times someone needs to stay behind (away from the exit side) to deal with the wave that has them. If the team plays together you can win this mission but it can be frustrating as the distances are pretty big

Players
387 posts

Jingles did a video on the utubes a year ago about Operation Killer Whale that i found to be quite helpful. I think lossi_2018 might be right.

Hmm... or, as in CoOp CVs are currently matched /w BBs could that be the same in Scenarios until WG gets the CV-bots working? If i find the time to do Killer Whale this WE and get as far as to the time the CVs should arrive i'll add a p.s.

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,853 posts
Vor 2 Stunden, Logan_MountStuart sagte:

but elsewhere it states we need to kill two carriers

then this "elsewhere" is outdated, CVs in scenarios were replaced with BBs

• Cool 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,862 posts
11,881 battles
2 hours ago, Klopirat said:

then this "elsewhere" is outdated, CVs in scenarios were replaced with BBs

I've not played Killer Whale since the CV rework but thus makes sense to me.

I had thought that all operations with CVs had been removed.  I guess this just shows that that in some scenarios they've just substituted CVs for another type of ship.   It seems that WG have not had a QA done on the change - just sloppy attention to detail.

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,853 posts
Gerade eben, BrusilovX sagte:

I had thought that all operations with CVs had been removed.  I guess this just shows that that in some scenarios they've just substituted CVs for another type of ship.   It seems that WG have not had a QA done on the change - just sloppy attention to detail.

the replacement was already done with 0.7.11., long before the rework hit the server. And it was announced

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/#operations

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,862 posts
11,881 battles
2 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

the replacement was already done with 0.7.11., long before the rework hit the server. And it was announced

https://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/game-updates/update-0711-rule-britannia/#operations

Thanks - it's one of the operations that I've avoided in randoms since I five stared it.  As a clan BFS rarely does operations.

Personally, I like this YouTuber's guides:

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
7 hours ago, Logan_MountStuart said:

Apologies if this is a very stupid question but I am confuddled! :cap_look:

First experience of Operations today on Killer Whale.

The instructions state we need to kill "Battleships Furi and Dono", but elsewhere it states we need to kill two carriers, nd despite completing the operation successfully on half a dozen occasions, mainly with 3, and once with 4 stars, there has been no sign of either "Furi and Dono" nor any carriers.

Put a simple man out of his misery by explaining the undoubtedly simple thing I'm missing! Thanks.

Many players leave the moment the exit zones show up. It makes the scenario very frustrating for those who know that it is better to stay.

• If half your team or more enters the exit zone the missions ends and you will fail those mission goals.
  • The ships you are looking for are entering the map from the north-west, after you destroyed the naval base.
  • You will need to head back to where you started if you want to encounter them.
  • Leave for the exit immediatly after killing the secondary objective ships (highlighted with a red glimmer on the minimap). All other bots are irrelevant. You can not take them all out before the time runs up.
  • Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,853 posts
Vor 7 Minuten, Egoleter sagte:

Many players leave the moment the exit zones show up. It makes the scenario very frustrating for those who know that it is better to stay.

• If half your team or more enters the exit zone the missions ends and you will fail those mission goals. 

in my experience it is much more common that too many ignore the exit zone and hunt bots that are not necessary to kill, leading to a loss...

• Cool 4

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
4,046 posts
46 minutes ago, Klopirat said:

in my experience it is much more common that too many ignore the exit zone and hunt bots that are not necessary to kill, leading to a loss...

That's the other extreme. Once some players commited to kill the bots and therefor the BBs in the secondary goals, they forget to leave in time. I'll edit this into my above post.

But in my experience in 7 out 10 matches, if I don't division for this scenario, everyone except me leaves for the exit the moment it pops up. That's why I stopped playing it as a solo player.

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,839 posts
15,844 battles
1 hour ago, Egoleter said:

Either is fine, players just need to be executing the same strategy. The most important thing is not stay or go, but shoot the cruisers. The two BBs needed for the secondary mission are Tier III and IV - any BB can kill them with impunity, provided they're not being HE spammed to death by Kolbergs.

[PUPSI]
Players
134 posts
8,703 battles
1 hour ago, Egoleter said:

That's the other extreme. Once some players commited to kill the bots and therefor the BBs in the secondary goals, they forget to leave in time. I'll edit this into my above post.

But in my experience in 7 out 10 matches, if I don't division for this scenario, everyone except me leaves for the exit the moment it pops up. That's why I stopped playing it as a solo player.

All they have to do is let be killed.

Half operational ships means half survivors.

When my part is done and i`m too far away ... leaving few bots alive can be useful

• Cool 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,839 posts
15,844 battles

Parking up in the end zone is a good idea. It means an immediate victory if your allies are destroyed and there are fifth wave enemies which spawn on top of the end zone and are easy kills for someone already there.

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

You know you're in Operation Killer Whale when

a) You get the primary and all the secondary objectives done and then you see all your team mates sail away to the non-exit point of the map. :cap_horn:

b) You get the primary and all the secondary objectives done and then more than half of your team mates refuse to sail into the exit point because "no cap kill all". :cap_wander:

c) You get the primary objective done and then you only get three out of five stars because  more than half of your team mates sail at once to the exit point and finish the operation. :cap_fainting:

Nimitz wept.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[SHAFT]
Players
9,579 posts
8,858 battles
3 hours ago, Egoleter said:

Played one game yesterday and the opposite happened :cap_old:

We were playing with 4 guys basicly, since 3 of them didnt do anything. 2 of those 3 (3rd died earlier) sat in the harbour when the time ran out, and one of them was insulting us the entire game :cap_fainting: One of them was needed to go to the exit zone, but they rather ran away...

I hate this OP :cap_tea:

• Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
3,839 posts
15,844 battles
40 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

c) You get the primary objective done and then you only get three out of five stars because  more than half of your team mates sail at once to the exit point and finish the operation. :cap_fainting:

I will take that over "team mates are obsessed with secondary objectives and fail to win at all". Today's margin was three seconds. The guy's bow was on the the end zone line when time ran out.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
25 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

I will take that over "team mates are obsessed with secondary objectives and fail to win at all". Today's margin was three seconds. The guy's bow was on the the end zone line when time ran out.

Yes, alternative c) is really altogether acceptable. Do I understand you rightly, that you won with three seconds to spare?

1 hour ago, DFens_666 said:

One of them was needed to go to the exit zone, but they rather ran away...

I have actually seen a Bayern stop right outside of the exit point, and then slowly reverse away from it, obviously just to spite his team mates (who were presumably busy screaming in chat and imploring him to get his fat Teutonic arse out of Dodge). The things some people will do out of sheer small-mindedness... luckily, guys like that are the exception.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,579 posts
8,858 battles
4 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I have actually seen a Bayern stop right outside of the exit point, and then slowly reverse away from it, obviously just to spite his team mates (who were presumably busy screaming in chat and imploring him to get his fat Teutonic arse out of Dodge). The things some people will do out of sheer small-mindedness... luckily, guys like that are the exception.

I dont think my teammates did that out of spite... they were just dumb? :Smile_sad: As in "I have to survive, no matter if it fails the mission" We had one guy in the circle, it would have sufficed if one of them would have died. But since they were sitting in the harbour, they were avoiding the combat pretty much.

[-TPF-]
Players
3,839 posts
15,844 battles
28 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Yes, alternative c) is really altogether acceptable. Do I understand you rightly, that you won with three seconds to spare?

No, we lost because Capt. Doofus didn't get his ship back to the exit zone in time. We lost by a nose, as they say in horse racing.

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
11 minutes ago, invicta2012 said:

No, we lost because Capt. Doofus didn't get his ship back to the exit zone in time. We lost by a nose, as they say in horse racing.

Aw, that's painful. Especially, I'd venture to say, for Captain Doofus. I missed the bus at one time myself in this operation, and I felt like such a noob. Luckily, I had the time to make a full poodle of myself to the team before the 'fail curtain' rolled down, and I think they forgave me....!

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
41 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

I dont think my teammates did that out of spite... they were just dumb? :Smile_sad: As in "I have to survive, no matter if it fails the mission" We had one guy in the circle, it would have sufficed if one of them would have died. But since they were sitting in the harbour, they were avoiding the combat pretty much.

I agree. I doubt that spite is the motivating factor in most of these cases. And to be fair, I wouldn't go so far as to call your team mates dumb, either, even though I would surely have been hammering away at them in the team chat at the time. Winning by getting sunk is pretty counter-intuitive when you think about it, and unless people have seen that particular Jingles video (or one with roughly the same content) concerning this operation, it probably wouldn't occur to very many of them to suicide for the benefit of the team. While it is by no means a priority, I'd say that the conditions for completing this operation could perhaps benefit from a bit of an overhaul...?

[SHAFT]
Players
9,579 posts
8,858 battles
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I agree. I doubt that spite is the motivating factor in most of these cases. And to be fair, I wouldn't go so far as to call your team mates dumb, either, even though I would surely have been hammering away at them in the team chat at the time. Winning by getting sunk is pretty counter-intuitive when you think about it, and unless people have seen that particular Jingles video (or one with roughly the same content) concerning this operation, it probably wouldn't occur to very many of them to suicide for the benefit of the team. While it is by no means a priority, I'd say that the conditions for completing this operation could perhaps benefit from a bit of an overhaul...?

Ive been asking WG that like one year ago: Nothing happened :Smile_sceptic: The completion criteria is just bull. Maybe make it a secondary mission, i dunno. On the other hand, we would need another task which ends the mission, otherwise it would just run through for 20 minutes. Personaly i wouldnt mind, but with OPs they seem to go for something which ends the mission earlier (Raptor Rescue ends when the CV gets to the exit zone, Narai ends when enough soldiers are unloaded OR all ships are killed, Dynamo ends when enough soldiers are unloaded... and so forth)

They could make it end when all of the necessary ships are sunk, but then we wouldnt necessarily need to spawn 3-4-5 waves of enemies.

As for dieing to win the mission:

Yeah, might be counter intuitive, but on the other hand, dieing doesnt do anything negative for you. You dont get less rewards or have to pay more service costs. Quite contrary, if you get a 5 star win compared to a loss, you get like 4-5 times the rewards id say.

Easiest solution would be to change the criteria for a victory. But somehow i feel, WG is actually doing this out of spite so this OPs has a higher failure rate (they must have the data which shows this)

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
33 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

As for dieing to win the mission:

Yeah, might be counter intuitive, but on the other hand, dieing doesnt do anything negative for you. You dont get less rewards or have to pay more service costs. Quite contrary, if you get a 5 star win compared to a loss, you get like 4-5 times the rewards id say.

I have upon occasion - mostly in random battles - felt compelled to inform some of my less audacious team mates, that damage to one's ship does not, in fact, carry over into the real world.

A bit salty, I confess - but I did not speak purely out of bitterness. The idea to avoid taking damage is a strong and natural one. The idea that not all damage is "bad" damage, in the game - can be quite an epiphany for some. It certainly was for me, back when I first started playing this game. I even created a forum thread about this a couple of years ago, titled "Taking a Bullet for Your Team".

• Cool 3

Players
241 posts
5,398 battles
20 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

I have upon occasion - mostly in random battles - felt compelled to inform some of my less audacious team mates, that damage to one's ship does not, in fact, carry over into the real world.

A bit salty, I confess - but I did not speak purely out of bitterness. The idea to avoid taking damage is a strong and natural one. The idea that not all damage is "bad" damage, in the game - can be quite an epiphany for some. It certainly was for me, back when I first started playing this game. I even created a forum thread about this a couple of years ago, titled "Taking a Bullet for Your Team".

:Smile_teethhappy:

Yes I've seen that, "oh don't hurt me, Im going to hide!"

It doesn't help someone who is, modestly, a decent player and fairly competent that the instructions are unclear and mention ships which don't even exist in the defensive reinforcements.

Eventually I used a QE, to take out the forts and installations, and and got a DD to come with me.  When the clock ran down I got the DD to torp me as I would never have made it to the extraction point in time and we at least managed to get 4 stars, the 5th is still elusive.