You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
E4GLEyE

Buying Commemorative flags

17 comments in this topic

[CLTS]
Players
104 posts
5,204 battles

Hey all! The Prinz Eugen bundle just dropped... and I already have the ship ... is there a way to only buy the commemorative flag for it? I mean yeah... nobody wants those flags but I am a sucker for them and this one really looks neat! Is there any way to get them standalone? 

As far as I know there is no possibility right now... but could there be an option? Would anyone else want an option like this?

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,407 posts
13,256 battles

I suspect the only way currently is to buy the enormous bundle; if you already have the ship, it'll give you all the bloat, a bunch of doubloons (in lieu of the ship), plus the flag...

Unless you've had a particularly successful week in the organ trafficking business or similar, I would personally feel that was rather a waste of money, but I'm a grump!

Personally, I think that WG should add trivial economic bonuses to the flags (maybe like the 5/10% off service cost that you get with the Ranked ones), to give them more value. In my own case, I generally fly flags, because they look pretty, but I wouldn't make much extra effort (and certainly not spend any money) just to get one. I might make an exception for the Monty Python one though...

Given that flags currently have essentially zero real value, it seems a bit churlish for WG not to make them available as a standalone for the collectors.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles

First: Kudos to you, Captain @E4GLEyE, for admitting to being a collector. Know that you are not alone out there.

Second: This topic raises a question that has been bouncing around in my mind for a while, namely whether anyone actually flies all those various flags - commemorative and others - that abound in the game? Do you have different flags for different ships? Do you switch flags for different days? What makes you choose between flags?

I mean, as a Closed Beta tester, I have it easy. My wife informed me early on that "CBT" is the internationally accepted acronym for C0ck and Ball Torture, and now I fly the red CBT flag on all my ships. On those ships where I can hoist two flags, the second one is the International Labour Day flag, which I find fitting since it relates to my profession. But were I bereft of those mental bearings, I would be adrift in an archipelagos of flags, and I might well find it a bit hard to choose between them.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, by the way - please feel free to ignore this post!

• Funny 3

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,463 posts
19,587 battles

This has already been asked before, here -

WG has no interest in selling those flags, there are no plans of adding flags for free XP ships even though WG created them, and we can also forget about getting flags they forgot to hand out like the Year of the Pig flag.

Players
561 posts

Can anyone tell what that Prinz Eugen flag suppose to be? The Shield embelm has the noble houses of Savoy in it but whats that black smudge behind it? Borderlines of Savoy province itself?

[SM0KE]
Players
5,407 posts
13,256 battles
21 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Do you have different flags for different ships?

Kind of: my 'default' is the tattered red skull and cross-bones, whatever that was for, unless there is one of the Ranked 5/10% off servicing flags available, in which case I use that.

Otherwise (if I can mount two flags, for instance), I tend to pick either things that are vaguely sympathetic with the ship (e.g. the assorted variations on the George Cross for RN/Commonwealth ships), or wildly inappropriate for puerile giggles...

• Cool 1

[CLTS]
Players
104 posts
5,204 battles
3 hours ago, Procrastes said:

First: Kudos to you, Captain @E4GLEyE, for admitting to being a collector. Know that you are not alone out there.

Second: This topic raises a question that has been bouncing around in my mind for a while, namely whether anyone actually flies all those various flags - commemorative and others - that abound in the game? Do you have different flags for different ships? Do you switch flags for different days? What makes you choose between flags?

I mean, as a Closed Beta tester, I have it easy. My wife informed me early on that "CBT" is the internationally accepted acronym for C0ck and Ball Torture, and now I fly the red CBT flag on all my ships. On those ships where I can hoist two flags, the second one is the International Labour Day flag, which I find fitting since it relates to my profession. But were I bereft of those mental bearings, I would be adrift in an archipelagos of flags, and I might well find it a bit hard to choose between them.

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit, by the way - please feel free to ignore this post!

I usually fly flags that are either for that ship or for that nation, for example the French flag with the cross in it we got (not sure for what) is on my French vessels, same goes to the Brits with their flag, the USA ones are usually equipped with the red tattered skull flag... the IJN is tricky, as there I have no real connecting flags other than Asashio's and other random stuff like the anniversary flags and such. I play Ranked always to get to the tier that unlocks the flag for that season as well (tho did not play too many seasons thus far)

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,790 posts
7,088 battles
3 hours ago, Aragathor said:

and we can also forget about getting flags they forgot to hand out like the Year of the Pig flag.

Unless its the year of the vodka flag da comrade?  :Smile_trollface:

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,860 posts
11,731 battles

When I only had the ability to mount s single flag I tended to always use the CBT flag.

For the Japanese ships I run the CBT and the 75th Anniversary of Pearl Harbour fag.

For the other ships I tend to run the CBT flag and the red pirate flag.

As they don't do anything (as has been pointed out they give no benefit) it's all down to asthetics.

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
11 hours ago, Verblonde said:

Kind of: my 'default' is the tattered red skull and cross-bones, whatever that was for,

That one is nice. I don't have it myself, but wasn't there some antics a few years back, where you could get a pirate flag by posting a "YAAAARHH!!!" on some facebook or twitter thingy or whatever?

8 hours ago, E4GLEyE said:

the French flag with the cross in it we got (not sure for what) 

I think you are referring to the flag of the "Free French", i.e. the French forces that fought with de Gaulle during the second world war instead of going with the Vichy regime. And I think we got it from completing some not-too-hard in-game event a couple of years back.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
25 minutes ago, Pte_Maylam said:

I've always wanted the jutland commemoration flag, I started playing and just missed it.

I think there's a fairly good chance it will appear again in the future. If I were you, I'd keep a lookout when the next Battle of Jutland anniversary draws nigh.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
13 hours ago, Verblonde said:

I might make an exception for the Monty Python one though...

Which one is that?

Considering that I am part of the Crimson Permanent Assurance clan, a Monty Python flag would sit well over the mantelpiece.

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles
15 hours ago, Procrastes said:

I fly the same flags on every ship. My Brits (I get two due to the collection) Pirate flag and Hood special, non-brits get the Hood flag.

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,407 posts
13,256 battles
3 hours ago, Procrastes said:

Which one is that? 

Considering that I am part of the Crimson Permanent Assurance clan, a Monty Python flag would sit well over the mantelpiece.

I'm not sure - my friend who's been playing for years (and whose blandishments tempted me over from WOT) has it. It's something to do with the killer bunny, I think...

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
3,159 posts
3,608 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

I'm not sure - my friend who's been playing for years (and whose blandishments tempted me over from WOT) has it. It's something to do with the killer bunny, I think...

Spiffing! I shall go and have a look in my flag drawer. I have so many flags, there might very likely be one with a bunny on it! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,407 posts
13,256 battles
2 minutes ago, Procrastes said:

Spiffing! I shall go and have a look in my flag drawer. I have so many flags, there might very likely be one with a bunny on it! :Smile_veryhappy:

I've been having a rummage online, but can't find it; I do see one from Easter 2017, but it doesn't look like how I remember the flag in question.

I should pay more attention to these things...

Sorry that's wildly unhelpful.