Sign in to follow this  
natswright

My first premium ship, Graf Spee

16 comments in this topic

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,388 battles

I'm quite new to the game and was looking for a few tips using the Graf Spee. Its a tricky ship to learn and as it has Torpedos, I find myself using it like a big destroyer, with me usually getting blown up! Destroyer wise, I find these smaller ships easier to play and enjoy using the stealth to sneak up on unsuspecting carriers. I usually bag 2 to 3 kills a game this way and got almost 90k damage with a T5 japanese destroyer!

The Graf Spee is much harder, hence the request for advise and tips!

Thanks

[CATS]
Players
26,026 posts
14,064 battles

She is a hard ship for new players.

She has only two turrets and low rate of fire. You need to make every shot count and for that you need good aim.

• She is not stealthy, therefore stay behind your DD
  • Use islands to block line of sight to enemy BB
  • She is tough and can tank DD and cruiser guns, but do not show broadside to heavy cruisers
  • Her guns are great vs cruiser, focus them
  • Islands allow to make torp ambushes

I suggest to play german cruisers from Tier II to V in random to learn aiming and manoeuvre with them.

• Cool 3

Players
853 posts
907 battles
1 hour ago, natswright said:

Its a tricky ship to learn and as it has Torpedos, I find myself using it like a big destroyer

Read Colonel Pete advice above which is highly accurate. The GS is not a big Destroyer nor should you be thinking first of its torping ability.

The GS guns are it's raison d'etre, although slow reloading. I think the GS can shoot up virtually anything (DDs, Ca/CLs, BBs & ofc CVs , lol).

I would add that you will need to consider switching between HE & AP as the targets change. You also need to maneuver very well for your GS to be effective/survive.

• Cool 1

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,388 battles
1 hour ago, ColonelPete said:

She is a hard ship for new players.

She has only two turrets and low rate of fire. You need to make every shot count and for that you need good aim.

• She is not stealthy, therefore stay behind your DD
  • Use islands to block line of sight to enemy BB
  • She is tough and can tank DD and cruiser guns, but do not show broadside to heavy cruisers
  • Her guns are great vs cruiser, focus them
  • Islands allow to make torp ambushes

I suggest to play german cruisers from Tier II to V in random to learn aiming and manoeuvre with them.

Thanks, that makes sense, I think I was treating her too much like a big destroyer and advancing too far forwards!

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,710 posts
5,256 battles
7 hours ago, natswright said:

Thanks, that makes sense, I think I was treating her too much like a big destroyer and advancing too far forwards!

Not the first to make that mistake, won't be the last either. She's a good ship, but not a easy one to master.

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,388 battles
2 hours ago, lafeel said:

Not the first to make that mistake, won't be the last either. She's a good ship, but not a easy one to master.

Yeah! I love destroyers though, especially playing hunt the carrier! A "mini game" that i've had a lot of success with T3 to T5 destroyers! I do need more practice with the cruisers though!

[CATS]
Players
26,026 posts
14,064 battles
7 hours ago, natswright said:

Yeah! I love destroyers though, especially playing hunt the carrier! A "mini game" that i've had a lot of success with T3 to T5 destroyers! I do need more practice with the cruisers though!

Be careful with that.

CV are not the objective.

When the enemy team is finished and you need to clean up, go for them.

But when there is still other work to do, you might get distracted and invest too much effort into that and lose the match somwhere else.

The most efficient way to kill CV is when some of your BB and Cruiser are in range and your own CV just spots the enemy CV. Going for the map border in a ship usually takes too long.

• Cool 3

[DUXTR]
Alpha Tester
933 posts
20 hours ago, natswright said:

I'm quite new to the game and was looking for a few tips using the Graf Spee. Its a tricky ship to learn and as it has Torpedos, I find myself using it like a big destroyer, with me usually getting blown up! Destroyer wise, I find these smaller ships easier to play and enjoy using the stealth to sneak up on unsuspecting carriers. I usually bag 2 to 3 kills a game this way and got almost 90k damage with a T5 japanese destroyer!

The Graf Spee is much harder, hence the request for advise and tips!

Thanks

I'd just like to say good job of not picking a tier 8 ship as your first premium.

To many players do that and get eaten alive at higher tiers.

But regarding the GS, play her like u would play a cruiser. That's what I do.

Deal damage and try to keep that broadside hidden from anything with heavy artillery.

I rarely rely on my torps at all in her.

• Cool 3

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,388 battles
2 hours ago, ColonelPete said:

Be careful with that.

CV are not the objective.

When the enemy team is finished and you need to clean up, go for them.

But when there is still other work to do, you might get distracted and invest too much effort into that and lose the match somwhere else.

The most efficient way to kill CV is when some of your BB and Cruiser are in range and your own CV just spots the enemy CV. Going for the map border in a ship usually takes too long.

Yeah, I have lost a game playing with randoms, where I was in advance of the rest of my team, trying to harass cruisers and battle ships. I was the only destroyer left, although my team had the advantage on numbers, the other team was capping. No matter what I did, my team all sat back. I sank 3 ships and crippled one that round, but we lost on points. Was I doing the right thing here, spotting and launching torps when the opportunity arose?

Players
2,168 posts
20,242 battles

Well I just hope you didn't actually buy her, because there are ships in about the same price range that I'd still consider just objectively better. Just three Euros more and it's a T-61, I mean... especially since you said you did enjoy DDs. And Monaghan might be better yet, at least as long as the meta stays this carrier-heavy (although she does need a fairly high skill point US DD commander to realize her full potential.)

It's a good thing WG lowered the price a lot, so Spee doesn't have to suffer the comparison to Scharnhorst any more. (Outside of the times when Scharnhorst is on discount.) But still... Molotov... De Grasse... Anshan, if you're so inclined... and if the elite commander XP is gushing out of your ears in a really strong, pulsating jet, even Perth and Duca. Although they do admittedly all lack a bit of the history nerd collector X-factor. (Which brings me to the apropos of the day, the remains of Spee's capsized, proud sister ship Admiral Scheer are actually buried under what by now has become a profane parking lot in Kiel, coordinates  54° 19′ 15,3″ N, 10° 9′ 48,2″ E.)

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,402 posts
13,256 battles

@natswright - others have covered off most of the key stuff regarding GS.

If you've been mainly playing DDs, you may not have mastered managing ships with a healing potion; it might be worth reading up a bit on this, to get the most out of GS (wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Repair_Party).

The crucial things to note are the differing amounts of damage you can repair, depending on the source of that damage i.e. if you're going to get damaged, get set on fire (or flooded) as that damage is 100% repairable; at the other end of the scale, avoid citadels if at all possible (hence people's advice about avoiding giving broadside to people), as you can only heal 10% of citadel damage.

Although GS is a long way from being a BB, you can (to a degree) make use of DCP, and repair, in a similar manner i.e. in general you don't necessarily have to put out the first fire that gets lit right away, as any damage that is caused by the fire continuing to burn can be healed, as long as you haven't run out of healing potions...

• Cool 2

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,388 battles
On 3/25/2019 at 1:46 PM, Verblonde said:

@natswright - others have covered off most of the key stuff regarding GS.

If you've been mainly playing DDs, you may not have mastered managing ships with a healing potion; it might be worth reading up a bit on this, to get the most out of GS (wiki: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Repair_Party).

The crucial things to note are the differing amounts of damage you can repair, depending on the source of that damage i.e. if you're going to get damaged, get set on fire (or flooded) as that damage is 100% repairable; at the other end of the scale, avoid citadels if at all possible (hence people's advice about avoiding giving broadside to people), as you can only heal 10% of citadel damage.

Although GS is a long way from being a BB, you can (to a degree) make use of DCP, and repair, in a similar manner i.e. in general you don't necessarily have to put out the first fire that gets lit right away, as any damage that is caused by the fire continuing to burn can be healed, as long as you haven't run out of healing potions...

Thanks, the heal advice is really good, I didnt realise I could just let it burn as such. Someone mentioned that when I streamed the other day too, but it makes more sense reading it hear! I played The British tier Orion V battleship tonight and bagged 4 kills, sadly got hit by flooding and fire at the same time and sank after a ramming! Least I took em with me and our team mopped up the stragglers! Loving the game and the community!

• Cool 1

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,388 battles
On 3/23/2019 at 12:46 PM, Nautical_Metaphor said:

Well I just hope you didn't actually buy her, because there are ships in about the same price range that I'd still consider just objectively better. Just three Euros more and it's a T-61, I mean... especially since you said you did enjoy DDs. And Monaghan might be better yet, at least as long as the meta stays this carrier-heavy (although she does need a fairly high skill point US DD commander to realize her full potential.)

It's a good thing WG lowered the price a lot, so Spee doesn't have to suffer the comparison to Scharnhorst any more. (Outside of the times when Scharnhorst is on discount.) But still... Molotov... De Grasse... Anshan, if you're so inclined... and if the elite commander XP is gushing out of your ears in a really strong, pulsating jet, even Perth and Duca. Although they do admittedly all lack a bit of the history nerd collector X-factor. (Which brings me to the apropos of the day, the remains of Spee's capsized, proud sister ship Admiral Scheer are actually buried under what by now has become a profane parking lot in Kiel, coordinates  54° 19′ 15,3″ N, 10° 9′ 48,2″ E.)

Wow, I do love the history behind the ships! Never knew about the Scheer, going to do a bit of research on that! I did buy the Graf Spee, but I had a 30% off voucher, so it was about £10 or something like that. Will look at the T-61 though, thanks for the advice!

[SM0KE]
Players
5,402 posts
13,256 battles
13 hours ago, natswright said:

Will look at the T-61

+1 to this - it's one of the best premiums in the game (IMO, of course), tier for tier...

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
2,085 posts
8,425 battles

The Spee is not a bad ship, just tricky as others already pointed out. It plays more like a BB IMO than a dedicated cruiser due to only 2 turrets and slow speed (for a cruiser).  It is really tanky with a high HP pool and pretty nice armor, and with the heal tip @Verblonde gave you it has a lot of sustain in a fight. It also packs the trademark really powerful German hydro so use that to either assist your team with a big torpedo varning area or push a DD in smoke.

As for the firepower, here is where the Spee can feel awkward. 2 turrets, 6 guns, sluggish reload. It needs time to deal damage so staying as a support ship for your other cruisers at 10-12 km is not a bad idea. Use mostly AP since the HE damage and fire chance is pretty low and only really useful on heavily angled targets. The AP will do okay even against BB's at 15 km range as long as you aim a bit higher.

Another important thing to remember, overmatch. Overmatch is when the caliber of your gun is large enough to simply bypass certian armor thresholds unless they are angled (like decks and bow, stern). The overmatch rule is gun caliber/14.3= armor "bypass". So the Spee can punch through 19 mm of armor. This means every tier 5 cruiser and some tier 6 cruisers(?) can be damaged by just shooting straight through their nose if they try to angle in towards you.

• Cool 2

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,388 battles

Well, I got another 30% off voucher, so bagged the T-61, grabbed around 90k damage in my first fight, sank 3 ships too! Love this little destroyer, and the superfast reload is great!

• Cool 2

Sign in to follow this