mkdanmark

Help me Shimakaze

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
23 posts
7,611 battles

Ahoy Sailers.

First of please excuse my poor English skills.

I need some help. I cant figure out how to play the Shimikaze. I do not consider myself a good player, but i have played since closed beta and would like to think i understand the game mechanics to some degree.

I am foremost af DD player, and i seem to do ok in gearing and  Yugomo, It also went ok leveling the IJN Line until i hit the Shimakaze.

I seem to die in the first half of the game no matter how i play. I get spotted by planes all the time, i get hunted down by enemy DDs, Radar well Radar is Radar.

I have tried staying with teammates, Ive tried soloing in the sides, Ive tried to be the flag capture. Nothing works for me. I havent had a single good round.

I tried the 8 -12 and 20 km torps. cant seem to hit much with any of them.

Im useing this build right now. I know its not ideal but didnt wanna change before writeing this post.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000101011001010000000000119

So im basicly asking you better players than me if you could give me any tips and advice how to play this ship, because im just not getting it.

Thank you

Oh and on a sidenote. Isnt it incrediable expensive to use ? im getting minus silver in every single game, even the ones i do semi ok in, with Premium acount.

[TF57]
Players
101 posts
10,498 battles

Planes can be a pain in the arse, try not to make a b line from spawn to the cap, that's the first place a good CV captain searchs, also use the 'P' button to disable your AA as this can give your location away at 5k, smoke once detected by planes with AA still off, early on in the game a CV ain't gonna wait around for your smoke to go to get you when there's loads of other targets to get, only use AA if caught with no smoke or late on when he might wait around, also keep moving in your smoke for the torp danger from other dds.

Captain skills, I don't have EM or BFT I use RPF this gives you a heads up on the position of the nearest target and the majority of the time if you can't detect it, it's an enemy DD, time to flood the area with torps and move away, the more you use RPF the better you get, use YouTube video as a tutorial.

I also don't use smoke screen expert, as I just use smoke to cover an escape and not to camp in, I prefer the extra points in survivability expert.

I use the 12k torps, great for smashing radar cruisers that you flank without getting radared. Speaking of which learn your radar ranges and duration US CL, US CA, US/UK premium and russian and how to bait them into using it, ie keep just in their radar range then once radared use the 6 seconds to move out of radar range before everyone targets you. Also keep an eye on the mini map if a radar crusier is detected by CV or another DD remember his location and certain locations on certain maps where radar crusiers love to camp, ie an island next to a cap. 

T10 is expensive, unless you have a premium account, do lots of damage or have flags/cam to counter the costs, unfortunately it's a way of WG life.

Beta Tester
23 posts
7,611 battles

Thanks for the Answer.

I have tried the above IMO. But I guess i have to try harder.

This ships seems to me very much out of Sync with the game mechanics that have come after this ship was first introduced. ( Radar, Hydro, lots of Planes very fast DD and Cruisers )

And i find i difficult to counter this.

But I willl have to try.

[TF57]
Players
101 posts
10,498 battles

Exactly powercreep hasn't been to kind to the Shima but it still has something most other DDs don't, a 'wall of skill' and a very lower detection range, use these to your advantage. 

Most higher tier BB/CA players will WASD hack as soon as their detected, so unless their obviously steaming in a straight line don't use the torp aimer, think if they turn to the left where will they be, then put your torps there, each salvo side by side, you may not get a dev strike but should land a couple.

Don't YOLO use your detection range and plan an escape route, ie if I go left at the island coming up and then get jumped/radared the island hinders my escape, safer to go right, longer in time to get around but you might live longer if the you do get jumped. 

Good luck and happy hunting.

• Cool 1

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,849 battles
3 hours ago, mkdanmark said:

Ahoy Sailers.

First of please excuse my poor English skills.

I need some help. I cant figure out how to play the Shimikaze. I do not consider myself a good player, but i have played since closed beta and would like to think i understand the game mechanics to some degree.

I am foremost af DD player, and i seem to do ok in gearing and  Yugomo, It also went ok leveling the IJN Line until i hit the Shimakaze.

I seem to die in the first half of the game no matter how i play. I get spotted by planes all the time, i get hunted down by enemy DDs, Radar well Radar is Radar.

I have tried staying with teammates, Ive tried soloing in the sides, Ive tried to be the flag capture. Nothing works for me. I havent had a single good round.

I tried the 8 -12 and 20 km torps. cant seem to hit much with any of them.

Im useing this build right now. I know its not ideal but didnt wanna change before writeing this post.

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0100000000101011001010000000000119

So im basicly asking you better players than me if you could give me any tips and advice how to play this ship, because im just not getting it.

Thank you

Oh and on a sidenote. Isnt it incrediable expensive to use ? im getting minus silver in every single game, even the ones i do semi ok in, with Premium acount.

Can tell you this: from all (ALL!!!) destroyers i ever played my Shimakaze (X) is by big favorite! That ship is sooo great (fun, entertaining and at times devastating strong). Keep realizing you have by far the most heavy torps in game!!! And when they hit then most of the times they do flooding (=extra dmg). In fact Shima (X) = my #1 (always was, will always be, i guess). Ship handles so nicely + looks amazing cool!! + is soooo fast(!) + has low detection + it can shoot some planes, yes (...but better avoid those). It's little sister (Asashio (VIII) does on average the most damage, with attractive attacking play, rushes + lots of shootings + great 20kms torps + Asa is very difficult to be hit by enemy, handles also great....but still...if you ask me: what is yr most fav ever #1 destroyer?...then i gonna answer you: Shimakaze (X)...always was and still is and most likely will always be my #1.

Some talk about "torps are relatively easily detected"....but to those I answer: "yeah, you detect them, ok, but there are 15x of them and very, very fast...so, can you avoid some of them hitting you?...no....lol...see!!!!...lol"...that i answer.

Strive to play Shima with 19 points + play many battles(!!)...many....+ always play aggressive (when possible, always possibilties present themselves during some battle, focus for those vital moments in battle, eagerly, sharp eye!)...soon you will understand why Shima (X) is my great #1 ever destroyer

Last: there is the choice: 12 kms torps (67 knots) OR 9.6 kms (72 knots)...actually both are good, i play them both (mostly the 9.6 kms 72 knots ones)...just experiment with it and discover what you like the most.

Sometimes you experience some low performance battles (all ships do, from time to time, just start up a new battle) but for sure you also will experience very many great games with yr Shima!!...Shima carrying the battle for the team to a win. So, play a lot, and you will see.

About language? nahhhh...not realy important: language is only a tool to communicate from A<----> B persons, far, far more important is WHAT some player is communicating (= contents)...and must say: you are doing real fine!!

(...almost forgot: Shima has good punching gunzzzz!...use them...capping + shootings brings you extra XP + Shima with perma camo...i am never surprised when Shima brings me lots of credits, yeah, Shima does!...do not play "crampy"...play it sharp ways & you will do fine with XP + credits, do not doubt that, have fun!!!...as i do with Shima:cat_cool:)

• Cool 1

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,849 battles

maybe good tactics tip (remind): when ya start a new battle, noticing 1x (or even 2x) carriers + 4x destroyers each side in it, then ya have 2x tactics plans (at least, i play it that way, with both me Shima (X) + Asashio(VIII):

1)

first, option, ya can go for bit waiting tactics (only beginning stages of battle)...cuz you hope for the carriers taking out some of the enemy destroyers!!!! (will happen, ohh yes!)....i mean ""plop + plop= making ya 2x enemy destroyers facing you!!!"...and then YOU come into play!!!

2)

second option: use engine boost right from the start to take nearest cap as soon as you can...as fast as you can (...cuz no planes there yet)....is risky, but ohhh man, capping brings ya so much XP (=credits!!)....use yr smoke (signal yr teammates yr going for the cap!!!)...hope for the best (yeah, some luck makes really part of all warfare, for thousands of years already!) ....and when ya succeed taking it...then fall back undetected in lines...tictactictac (yr capping making points + making yr enemy team nervous, lol...tictactictac...know what i mean?)...while you are watching map (+mini-map!) planning yr next moves + tactics...

try it out & have fun!!!:cat_cool:

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
1,565 posts
14,565 battles

@mkdanmark I will try to keep my answer as short as possible.

So first thing's first, the Shima is a difficult ship to play at the moment because, as you alluded to, it is hunted down by pretty much everything else.

I think this is the best spec for it.

And use the  12km torpedoes and obviously a full stealth build (including the module).

RPF is the most important tool you have. At the start of the match it helps you steer clear of any threats and in the second half of the match, it helps you hunt down enemy DDs.

As far as how to actually play it, in the first half of the game you do not want to get int any serious engagements with anyone. Just stay at range and use your torpedoes. It can be kind of boring but it is what it is. The second you pop smoke or use your guns, everyone on the map will know exactly where you are and that is something that you need to avoid.

In the second half of the game, you can start using your guns to hunt down enemy DDs that have already been hurt. You have very high alpha and a better than average stealth rating so any DD that is under 10k hp is toast if they run into you.

But again, only use your guns if there are no easy torpedo targets around. The reason for that is that, if enemy ships know where you are then they will expect torpedoes. The best way to reduce the disadvantage of relatively high torpedo detection is to make sure that the enemy never knows where the next salvo will come from.

One last piece of advice I can give you is, be hyper aware of the minimap. You need to know exactly where everyone is and what they are doing. It's especially important in CV matches. If the CV is focusing someone on the other side of the map, then you can and should be much more aggressive, for example.

• Cool 3

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,849 battles

important for destroyers ( and Shima) as a tactic: analyze any situation & ask yrself: can i rush towards some BB or cruisers to torp it up-close? I mean, Shima has good health and if you rush say an enemy battleships (look at its guns positioning, take them some time to turn around) see to it that no other enemy ships can start shooting at yr Shima while you go rushing in---> then rush to the enemy ship and take it out with 10x torps ---> enemy will sink (torps are so heavy + fast) and while performing that attack last stage  turn away and drop smoke, so you vanish fastly after attack (if needed set fire to enemy ship shooting from out of smoke last stage, cuz it used its damage control to stop flooding). If timed well, this tactics really is very effective: yeah, the battleship (or cruiser) can shoot at you (it will for sure) but it will be very difficult for them to take ya out (otherwise than detonation, i mean). So always keep an eye open for the possibility of rushes aiming to launch yr torps from very, very up-close. success.

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
23 posts
7,611 battles

Thank you both for some really usefull information and tips.

I am defently gonna try to implement your advice in my future Shima matches.

The build example is very nice too.

Good luck to all of you and happy hunting Gentlemen :Smile_honoring:

[N3XUS]
Players
1,101 posts
23,849 battles
5 hours ago, mkdanmark said:

Thank you both for some really usefull information and tips.

I am defently gonna try to implement your advice in my future Shima matches.

The build example is very nice too.

Good luck to all of you and happy hunting Gentlemen :Smile_honoring:

ok, ths...but, but. toooooo polite & formal!!! THIS IS WAR GAME!!!!....what i mean is this: with all those bad players around, sometimes "i have had it!!!!"....those moments i decide to bring out my biggest MEAN MACHINES....THE BEASTS!!!...can be either the Mighty Shimakaze (X) ot the Mighty Massachusetts (VIII)...those two vaporize ships!!!!.....yeah, this is WAR GAME...always keep that in mind...always, bye, yaskara xx, succes wished (...and do not forget what i told ya!!!!)...bye....

• Cool 1