You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FixCVs_Nautical_Metaphor

Has anybody else had shells falling short?

41 comments in this topic

Players
1,876 posts
12,925 battles

Have any of you had shells falling short of your aim point this patch?

Shells have been falling short for me maybe two, three times. Mostly in BBs I think. I did not pursue the issue any deeper and don't have any replays to back it up, mainly because at the time, I was startled but, as you do, quickly convinced myself it must have been yet another aiming error, and moved on.

But yesterday, I just saw it happen to Flamu live on the stream. Very clearly no aiming error. He was in Nelson or Lenin and, granted, aiming at a stationary target across an island, both factors that often seem to disrupt the targeting. But the target was not closely behind that island, it was in fairly open water.

And at least one of mine was a very easy shot, completely in the open, it was one of those Ishizuchis in the first wave of enemy ships in Operation Aegis, I was probably in Arizona at the time.

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
5,396 posts
6,787 battles

Yes happened to me aswell, seen it happen to others.

I always feel, it happens when you go into binocular view and shoot right away. Shells just go somewhere...

Even had shells going waaaay to far that way, but this has happening for a longer time, not limited to the last patch.

• Cool 2

[JRM]
Players
1,997 posts
16,187 battles

Falling short as in not reaching the place where target recticle sits? No, cant say it did

Players
2,227 posts
7,551 battles

Yes! Happened only yesterday in the HOOD.  One salvo fell WELL short of the target and defiantly not where i aimed it.  By quite a margin to be honest.  I aimed via the binoculars 

:cap_hmm: I put it down to a one-off bug. 

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
452 posts
10,289 battles

It seemed to happen to me with Takao yesterday, VS an enemy Hipper at around 13km give or take. 

He was almost broadside, my lead was correct. Shot twice slightly above the waterline, both times groupings were tight but they landed short. 

It felt off... but it hasn't happened again in the battles since. 

[CATS]
Players
17,836 posts
11,758 battles

Happens from time to time since I started playing this game.

Sometimes it is bad RNG, sometimes I aimed wrong.

[BYOB]
Players
3,561 posts
13,706 battles

I can't say it does for me, but yesterday Flamu had this problem on stream.

[DAVY]
[DAVY]
Beta Tester
1,395 posts
8,060 battles

yes has happened to me and I aint talking about just short or a small miss its been shells hitting half way between my ship and enemy and the enemy was 18k away

I also seen it happen to others as well

Players
368 posts
14,272 battles

It happened to me and a clan mate over the weekend it was such a surprising discrepancy we assumed it was bug of some sort but thankfully hasn't reappeared since 

[TSCC]
Players
1,699 posts
19,168 battles

I think that problem is in target locking. If you shoot a target that isn't locked your shells will fall short.

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
532 posts
4,149 battles

Yhea I think this is a 'known' bug. Or at least I heard about this before.

It tends to happen when you switch to a target and fire right away.

The two workarounds are :

1) Manually target the boats with x (or un-target, and re-target)

2) Wait a second, maybe 1.5 seconds before pulling the trigger.

None of this is going to be useful if you spot a DD at close range and pull the trigger, only to see all your shells fall short of the target .......

Weekend Tester
602 posts
5,879 battles

Yes, quite often.

Mostly BB shells, and yes, most definitely on locked targets as well. Often its the second and subsequent salvos at the same target.

I also get the problem where, upon firing at a ship that is transiting behind an island, the shells will drop and hit the island even though the ship is still spotted, more than half of it is still visible (so client/server should still consider it "line of sight"), and the shell arc should easily pass over the island.

[FAILS]
Players
181 posts
14,531 battles

Had this occasionally too, even in cruisers. Sometimes quite blatant, as in first salvo aiming at the waterline at a completely broadside target, all shells falling short. Next salvo aimed at mid-hull and still all short (with target lock). Doesn't happen often, but it is frustrating when it does.

Players
908 posts
8,117 battles

It seems i have the same problem. And its not just bad aim. Sometimes its literally miles short of the target.. 

Players
1,876 posts
12,925 battles

Hm well, I have always thought the view through the rangefinder ("binoculars") shouldn't be so stationary, as if there were not the slightest swell at all... From this thread I get the impression WG has already implemented the effects of waves and ship motion but they just didn't get around to adding the visuals yet ^^

[BFS]
Beta Tester
495 posts

I feel the same way sometimes.... You aim well, and each and every shell just falls short... I've stopped aiming for the waterline for that exact reason, it's simply too often you have all your shells plunge into the water...

I feel the rangefinding mecanism is way too sensitive when aiming low, just a nod too low, and due to the visual line of sight, optical illusion, you'd probably aim 100 meters too short.

It would actually be nice if the distance to the target is used to calculate where the shells land, and not the crosshair. Cause I find it's not working like that at the moment.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

Shells do fall short often, but this has been happening more or less always because of this:

DGWoCFU.png

There simply is more area for it to fall without a hit "short" than "long"

But don't get me wrong, I would be the least bit surprised if there was some new bug

• Cool 1

[EUR]
Players
410 posts
4,613 battles

I find it difficult to aim during this week, or good shots falling short or miss, I thought it was due to the level of play I was against initially or me having a potato week (not unheard of) :Smile_trollface: but yr post made see things under a different light, there is definitely something fishy here :fish_panic:

Players
298 posts
1,444 battles

A similar thing yesterday, my broadside Konigsberg bombarding a stationary broadside CV and in bino mode anything aimed on target tended to fall short (except odd shells), if I overshot more landed on target but some still fell short. I and the Konigsberg may not have been the most accurate components in the battle but it was like the CV had a force field around it and very noticeable given the fast firing guns. Eventually when the CV was bow on I started to land shots consistently on the smaller target.

[COMFY]
Players
507 posts
1,195 battles

It’s probably as some said, the lock on bug, or RNG shitting on you. It probably because of how the bino sees targets+aiming system in wows. Moving a pixel down or up could mean the difference between having all of you shells end up in the water or into the ship, since the vertical/range component relies on you moving the camera up and down, which translates to significantly more “sensitivity” compared to horizontal aiming, due to how the aiming and camera system is set up. It is most noticeable in shooting charging or running targets rather then bordside targets, you appear to give less “lead” when shooting charging targets vs side in ones because of the more sensitivity.

Weekend Tester
602 posts
5,879 battles
13 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Shells do fall short often, but this has been happening more or less always because of this:

DGWoCFU.png

There simply is more area for it to fall without a hit "short" than "long"

But don't get me wrong, I would be the least bit surprised if there was some new bug

Some of my "drop shorts" have been short by 1-2km, and thats the whole salvo with all of its dispersion included. These occurrences are also usually at medium or short range, so no great ballistic dispersion either. I don't think that this is anything to do with normal dispersion/beaten zone/RNG; it seems very clear that the server is using a completely different point of aim for that particular salvo.

This is particularly evident when you've already hit/bracketed a target ship with one salvo (i.e. normal dispersion), but then the next one falls harmlessly short (all 8-12 shells) despite target lock and the uninterrupted point of aim.

[AAO]
Players
2,142 posts
10,657 battles
18 hours ago, Infiriel said:

Tends to happen, especially on stationary targets.

This. Stationary targets are missed easily for some reason for a long time now, way before last patch, and afaik the issue has never even been mentioned by WG. @MrConway, are you guys aware of this bug/feature?

Can't say I noticed any other particular weirdness lately, but I haven't played too much surface ships except for test ships. It's also hard to tell imho if something goes wrong consistently in a live environment, given RNG, possible flawed aim, lock on bug (still a thing?), etc...

• Cool 2