You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Up_The_Donald

Yamato and Two CVs

34 comments in this topic

[XTREM]
Players
130 posts
7,852 battles

Really?  What is the point of that?  Bad enough when usually just one CV per team but with two there is just no escape.  No matter what skill is deployed, wave after wave of aerial wig disrupting nonsense is the outcome.

Taking account of RNG, potatoes, tomatoes, divisions, match-making and anything else on the list of usual gripes about gameplay - having two CVs to deal with when driving a Yamato is beyond funny.  There is no skill based solution to that problem and it's just a matter of getting in some hits before the inevitable and boring outcome.  

I don't believe in conspiracy theories but this is encouraging me to change my mind about current gameplay meta and the devious plots of WG to bring in more and more casual wallet warriors into the game.  

Carry on.

Donald.

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
6 minutes ago, Up_The_Donald said:

driving a Yamato is beyond funny

Anyway, what is a "Great American" "Patriot" doing "driving a Yamato"? Shouldn't you be driving a Ford or a Chevy?

:Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
890 posts
2,506 battles
6 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Try a Minotaur or a Worcester - that'll allow you to get your own back. :cap_rambo:

Remember that in real life US Carriers sank the Yamato in about 90 minutes after multiple bomb and torpedo strikes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Yamato

From Wikipedia: "almost 400 aircraft in several waves from eight carriers" ... 2CVs ingame ?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MIAU]
[MIAU]
Players
3,010 posts

Try to not sit alone in the far back or behind an island. The AA of your teammates is a usefull asset that you shouldn't ignore.

• Cool 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,055 posts
15,733 battles
4 minutes ago, Hugh_Ruka said:

From Wikipedia: "almost 400 aircraft in several waves from eight carriers" ... 2CVs ingame ?

From Wikipedia: "10 aircraft destroyed" - by the entire fleet, not just the Yamato

Lets not get into irrelevant IRL stuff, shall we?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[ONE2]
Players
2,785 posts
16,080 battles

Weel, that is a problem for Yammy for sure - Try sticking close to another ship (presumably a BB), perhaps a US one for better AA cover. I do think that 1 CV is quite enough for any game though I don't actually mind 2 either - Provided that I'm driving Atlanta at the time, of course.:Smile_Default:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
23 minutes ago, Up_The_Donald said:

Really?  What is the point of that?  Bad enough when usually just one CV per team but with two there is just no escape.  No matter what skill is deployed, wave after wave of aerial wig disrupting nonsense is the outcome.

Taking account of RNG, potatoes, tomatoes, divisions, match-making and anything else on the list of usual gripes about gameplay - having two CVs to deal with when driving a Yamato is beyond funny.  There is no skill based solution to that problem and it's just a matter of getting in some hits before the inevitable and boring outcome.  

I don't believe in conspiracy theories but this is encouraging me to change my mind about current gameplay meta and the devious plots of WG to bring in more and more casual wallet warriors into the game.  

Carry on.

Donald.

Well, as someone who plays CVs quite a bit lately, let me tell you: if you see wave after wave, after wave of planes - it means that you've made yourself an inviting target. Yes, 2 CVs is a lot (probably too much) and making yourself an inviting target in a CV game is obviously punished harder but things hard to touch for one CV tend to not be much easier to attack for two of them as well. Ok, DDs fare worse against doubled CVs since they rely on def. AA (limited charges), concealment (if two squadrons circle over a DD, they're spotting for each other), sector reinforcement (switches fast and gives a big boost but can only cover one side at a time) and quite small hp pool (so every hit is felt).

[SCRUB]
Quality Poster
3,404 posts
9,965 battles

Hi all,

Yesterday in my "Yamato" I had 20+ plane kills (the most of my team)... and we won and I survived... miracles do happen... :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
Players
130 posts
7,852 battles
24 minutes ago, eliastion said:

Well, as someone who plays CVs quite a bit lately, let me tell you: if you see wave after wave, after wave of planes - it means that you've made yourself an inviting target. Yes, 2 CVs is a lot (probably too much) and making yourself an inviting target in a CV game is obviously punished harder but things hard to touch for one CV tend to not be much easier to attack for two of them as well. Ok, DDs fare worse against doubled CVs since they rely on def. AA (limited charges), concealment (if two squadrons circle over a DD, they're spotting for each other), sector reinforcement (switches fast and gives a big boost but can only cover one side at a time) and quite small hp pool (so every hit is felt).

Being in a Yamato is enough to be a target for a CV.  Two CVs seeing a Yamato results in an exponential focus on the Yamato.  It isn't anything to do with making yourself an inviting target - that happens by pressing "Battle" when driving a Yamato.  

[KAKE]
Players
1,535 posts
3,873 battles

From the thread title I thought this was about divisioning up with two CVs in a Yamato. Which would be a bit silly.

Players
177 posts
870 battles
Vor 57 Minuten, Hugh_Ruka sagte:

Excatly, we nee more CVS! :P

• Cool 1

[SCRUB]
Players
1,624 posts
13,747 battles
23 minutes ago, Leo_Apollo11 said:

Hi all,

Yesterday in my "Yamato" I had 20+ plane kills (the most of my team)... and we won and I survived... miracles do happen... :Smile_hiding:

Leo "Apollo11"

Had a Yamato on my team last weekend with 46 plane kills. Yama still has BB AA which is stronkest. :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2

[ORM]
Players
70 posts
1,804 battles
16 minutes ago, Up_The_Donald said:

Being in a Yamato is enough to be a target for a CV.  Two CVs seeing a Yamato results in an exponential focus on the Yamato.  It isn't anything to do with making yourself an inviting target - that happens by pressing "Battle" when driving a Yamato.  

well there's your answer, you're approaching this from the wrong direction, it's quite likely there'll be 2 CVs and you, by your own admission, are picking a ship that will be focused on, because it's seen as a major threat, i assume you play the Yamato because it has "the biggest stick" but in some games you're going to have to accept that CVs have a bigger stick, if you don't like that, maybe you should change ship.

Beta Tester
195 posts
7,077 battles

in CV i dont give a rats behind for a yamato, untill the magic moment it isolates itself from the group

but that counts for any ship and type so yeah

• Cool 1

[BGBRD]
Players
322 posts
9,620 battles
2 minutes ago, SgtTincan said:

in CV i dont give a rats behind for a yamato, untill the magic moment it isolates itself from the group

but that counts for any ship and type so yeah

Unless it's a Minotaur/Worchester...  

[XTREM]
Players
130 posts
7,852 battles
23 minutes ago, tinvek said:

well there's your answer, you're approaching this from the wrong direction, it's quite likely there'll be 2 CVs and you, by your own admission, are picking a ship that will be focused on, because it's seen as a major threat, i assume you play the Yamato because it has "the biggest stick" but in some games you're going to have to accept that CVs have a bigger stick, if you don't like that, maybe you should change ship.

Incredible "logic".  Winning.

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
1 hour ago, El2aZeR said:

From Wikipedia: "10 aircraft destroyed" - by the entire fleet, not just the Yamato

Yes - Irrelevant Real Life.

What was the career total of planes of USS Worcester? 1 Friendly

What was the career total for USS Atlanta? 7 Claimed(?) (Not entirely sure here)

HMS Minotaur never existed as she is in the game. The real HMS Minotaur closely resembled the in game HMS Fiji, and "was too late to see active service" (Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMCS_Ontario_(C53))

However in real life how many attacks were disrupted by AA? Nobody will ever know...

I love the Directives eg "Bring Down an Approaching Aircraft" - Shoot down 35 aircraft. Yeah, very true to reality!

Players
842 posts
14,685 battles

Two CVs are generally too much maybe. And i dont see so much CVs in game (except T4)  that a two CV per side game should be needed in MM. 

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
54 minutes ago, Up_The_Donald said:

Isn't one of the main tasks of a being a battleship in game, to attract the attention of the enemy forces and soak up their fire? This allow the other ships to be less hindered. This is the real reason you have armour.

Therefore you are doing your job, because they can only be in one place at a time.

• Cool 2

Players
315 posts
8,313 battles
1 hour ago, Up_The_Donald said:

Every ship has strengths and weaknesses. Yamato has the most devastating main battery in game, but it's very vulnerable to aerial attack. The solution is to not over-extend, and not rely on your own AA because you know it's not enough. If I play a CV and see a lone Yamato, it's often the most attractive target. 

[XTREM]
Players
130 posts
7,852 battles
18 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Isn't one of the main tasks of a being a battleship in game, to attract the attention of the enemy forces and soak up their fire? This allow the other ships to be less hindered. This is the real reason you have armour.

Therefore you are doing your job, because they can only be in one place at a time.

True but with two CVs it doesn't take long to get wiped out, even when sticking close to other ships etc and it makes for a boring game for a Yamato driver (unless you follow the stunning logic offered earlier and just don't drive the thing). 

• Cool 1

Players
890 posts
2,506 battles
2 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Sure ... I was not the one that started the RL argument :-) I just pushed it one step further ... If you count the number of hits on the RL Yamato compared to the planes used, they dodged a lot of bombs/torps ...

Players
2,261 posts
245 battles

Imagine 8 clickways bombing a yamato in game.

and all you hear is team murica theme song getting progressively louder and less muffled as its hp drops :Smile_trollface: