You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ssiimmoonn2211

Spending my coal on something

27 comments in this topic

Players
13 posts
4,183 battles

Hey everyone! So as suggested in the title i'm a bit split on what to spend my coal on. After I get the rewards from the CW test I will have enough to buy either the Salem or the Jean Bart.

Now first I thought "well Salem obviously, immagine how much credits it will print". Until I found out that it dosen't get any premium income at all. That was a bit of a setback for me. However I like it's heal and the general playstyle of the high tier USN CA's. I am currently grinding up to the Des moines, almost at the Buffalo so it would be a good trainer and also help me with improving my playstyle.

The second option I thought about was the Jean Bart since it's a better money maker and I do really enjoy the French BB's. I have grinded out the Republiqué so the JB would be a good trainer for that. The only problem is that I aleredy own pretty much every French premium in the game (Gascan, Dunkerque, De grasse). The main question is if it's worth going for the Salem or if I should get the JB despite aleredy having other premiums.

There is also an alternative number 3 which would be to save the coal in hopes of another *better* tier 10 coal ship to be rotated in sometime in the close future. The problem here is that I would only really apreciate an American or Soviet (preferably cruiser) premium since I am currently grinding out those lines.

Opinions apreciated!

[BLITZ]
Players
2,820 posts
10,972 battles

You could also wait for Yoshino (T-X IJN CB).

Players
13 posts
4,183 battles
12 minutes ago, B0Tato said:

You could also wait for Yoshino (T-X IJN CB).

While it does look interesting I haven't and probably won't be grinding out the IJN cruisers in the close future

Players
9,869 posts
11,573 battles

Salem is literally Des Moines with worse radar, Tea grade heal and comes with T10 premium paint, so she have income as such.

Jean Bart is well, Richelieu with improved accuracy, reload and access to MRB consumable for extra giggles.

Personally, together with now gone Musashi I find neither to be interesting, so I sit at over quarter of a million of black bricks:Smile_smile:

Players
3,339 posts
16,133 battles

I'm also in the situation where I have some coal ( 471 000) - but nothing immediately obvious to spend it on.

Ships? - Got Des Moines but not a fan of the playstyle. 

Admire France so JB should be a candidate, but don't like the Main Battery reload gimmick. No point int low tier ships like Ybari that i would never play.

Not interested in the upcoming IJN high-tier cruisers.

Flags & Camo? Already have plenty and I think they are ludicrously overpriced in the Arsenal anyway.

Captains? - Got loads of them. I have Eight captains with 14+ skill points who are already being effectively "wasted"

Upgrades? - Got the ones that I want already

Containers? - Already done the collections,. Another overpriced item

[FIFO]
[FIFO]
Beta Tester
2,451 posts
7,258 battles

Jean Bart is the best option.  I may end up surprised by Yoshini but given how they are treating Azuma my expectations are low.

Having had an extended break break I am in the situation where I don't have enough coal at all.  Bought the JB recently, finished the 2 collections I was missing and now I'm buying some of the upgrades where appropriate.  Then at some point I will buy things like:

Salem

Aigle

Oktober

Yoshini... I know I just said my expectations were low but I'll probably still buy it eventually.

...but I'm not in a rush for any of those really.

[KAKE]
Players
2,525 posts
5,999 battles
2 hours ago, ssiimmoonn2211 said:

While it does look interesting I haven't and probably won't be grinding out the IJN cruisers in the close future

Well, there's two schools of thought in that regard:

-Get something that can help you grind a line you're already working on.

-Get something that gives you entirely new options.

I don't really have any Russian ships (I've finally scraped up to T5 on the cruiser and DD tree very recently), so when one of the stages of the New Year's event was "earn 6 million credits with ships from a ton of different nations", having the Kronshtadt around certainly helped.

Players
13 posts
4,183 battles
4 minutes ago, ilhilh said:

Jean Bart is the best option.  I may end up surprised by Yoshini but given how they are treating Azuma my expectations are low.

Having had an extended break break I am in the situation where I don't have enough coal at all.  Bought the JB recently, finished the 2 collections I was missing and now I'm buying some of the upgrades where appropriate.  Then at some point I will buy things like:

Salem

Aigle

Oktober

Yoshini... I know I just said my expectations were low but I'll probably still buy it eventually.

...but I'm not in a rush for any of those really.

Does it make good credits? Like is it worth it just for that or is it just a minot upgrade from the gold tier 8's?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

There is a monetary bonus for Salem that is usually overlooked - she has 1/2 of normal t10 service cost. 

Add in the -50% from permacamo and you have 1/4 of normal service cost per game

Afaik it’s practically impossible to lose money on it, and t10s earn half decently on their own

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,556 posts
8,858 battles
6 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

There is a monetary bonus for Salem that is usually overlooked - she has 1/2 of normal t10 service cost. 

Add in the -50% from permacamo and you have 1/4 of normal service cost per game

Afaik it’s practically impossible to lose money on it, and t10s earn half decently on their own

Salem even makes money in coop because of that, so she is definetely good to go in Randoms.

[BBMM]
Players
5,815 posts
7,366 battles
15 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

Salem even makes money in coop because of that, so she is definetely good to go in Randoms.

To me, it just looks semi-interesting... though I'll get to DM in a while, I'd rather have a TX RN cruiser. 

But the rest doesn't look that good to me either. Might be because I play usually mid-tiers and find them much more fun.

Considering TX only for Clan battle, it might be good there. 

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles
3 hours ago, ssiimmoonn2211 said:

Hey everyone! So as suggested in the title i'm a bit split on what to spend my coal on. After I get the rewards from the CW test I will have enough to buy either the Salem or the Jean Bart.

Now first I thought "well Salem obviously, immagine how much credits it will print". Until I found out that it dosen't get any premium income at all. That was a bit of a setback for me. However I like it's heal and the general playstyle of the high tier USN CA's. I am currently grinding up to the Des moines, almost at the Buffalo so it would be a good trainer and also help me with improving my playstyle.

The second option I thought about was the Jean Bart since it's a better money maker and I do really enjoy the French BB's. I have grinded out the Republiqué so the JB would be a good trainer for that. The only problem is that I aleredy own pretty much every French premium in the game (Gascan, Dunkerque, De grasse). The main question is if it's worth going for the Salem or if I should get the JB despite aleredy having other premiums.

There is also an alternative number 3 which would be to save the coal in hopes of another *better* tier 10 coal ship to be rotated in sometime in the close future. The problem here is that I would only really apreciate an American or Soviet (preferably cruiser) premium since I am currently grinding out those lines.

Opinions apreciated!

If you're on your way to Des Moines, I'll recommend Jean Bart.

JB is an awesome battleship, very strong.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,502 posts
6,102 battles

On a sidenote: When do you guys think that azuma and Yoshino  will come out? My guess is in about a month, but maybe thats optimistic?

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
12 minutes ago, thiextar said:

On a sidenote: When do you guys think that azuma and Yoshino  will come out? My guess is in about a month, but maybe thats optimistic?

For Yoshino, that's not optimistic, that's completely unrealistic. She hasnt even seen any live-testing yet.

Azuma on the other hand might happen - but might also not, remember how long it took Alaska... there's just no way to predict this kind of thing since we know neither WG's criteria for when to release a ship nor what their current plans and schedule looks like

[-AP-]
Players
2,502 posts
6,102 battles
9 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

For Yoshino, that's not optimistic, that's completely unrealistic. She hasnt even seen any live-testing yet.

Azuma on the other hand might happen - but might also not, remember how long it took Alaska... there's just no way to predict this kind of thing since we know neither WG's criteria for when to release a ship nor what their current plans and schedule looks like

Makes sense, although my personal conspiracy theory about why alaska took ages, is that wargaming didnt want to release her in the middle of the cv stuff, cause that might hurt sales

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles
1 minute ago, thiextar said:

Makes sense, although my personal conspiracy theory about why alaska took ages, is that wargaming didnt want to release her in the middle of the cv stuff, cause that might hurt sales

so... they released her... with patch 0.8.1... right in the middle of the CV stuff? errrr... I think your tinfoil hat might have soaked up too many cosmic rays and turned into a cloud of Chemtrail stuff there :Smile_teethhappy:

But yeah fair enough, there's a good chance Azuma will not take as long as Alaska did to make it from testing to release. We just don't know...

[SM0KE]
Players
5,452 posts
13,458 battles

Personally, I'm aiming to get Salem eventually - not because she's any good, but because she's the cosplay Graf Spee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_the_River_Plate_(film))! Not worried about the economy, because she comes with perma-cammo, making her at least as profitable as any other T10 (plus, see @wilkatis_LV above).

@ssiimmoonn2211 - you could perhaps make a good case for JB though: if you already dig the French BB play, and have other premiums, you can cycle your best captain through several ships each day (maximising use of 'first win' bonuses) - once he's at 19 points, if he isn't already, that's an effective way to generate elite xp which can be used to give other captains a leg up. This sort of thing is much less of a chore if you actively want to play the ships in question (as a DD main, I do the same thing with Gearing, Sims, Black, and Kidd)...

Players
13 posts
4,183 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

Personally, I'm aiming to get Salem eventually - not because she's any good, but because she's the cosplay Graf Spee (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Battle_of_the_River_Plate_(film))! Not worried about the economy, because she comes with perma-cammo, making her at least as profitable as any other T10 (plus, see @wilkatis_LV above).

@ssiimmoonn2211 - you could perhaps make a good case for JB though: if you already dig the French BB play, and have other premiums, you can cycle your best captain through several ships each day (maximising use of 'first win' bonuses) - once he's at 19 points, if he isn't already, that's an effective way to generate elite xp which can be used to give other captains a leg up. This sort of thing is much less of a chore if you actively want to play the ships in question (as a DD main, I do the same thing with Gearing, Sims, Black, and Kidd)...

That is true, however I am mostly debating about adding another french BB to that pool, aleredy doing your strategy with Republique, Gascan and Dunkerque. Or if it is more worth to get my first 'commander trainer' for USN CA's in the Salem. Thanks for your input!

• Cool 1

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,763 posts
5,290 battles

LWM really needs to update her Salem review. It is, almost certainly, there where that rumour that the Salem makes less credits than any other tier 10 started.

A rumour that's been well and truly rebuked, both by WG and by the Salem owners, I might add.

Players
13 posts
4,183 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

LWM really needs to update her Salem review. It is, almost certainly, there where that rumour that the Salem makes less credits than any other tier 10 started.

A rumour that's been well and truly rebuked, both by WG and by the Salem owners, I might add.

Absolutely, the service cost reduction is a big deal but from what i've seen and heard it won't print 1m+ like the MO. Something that might be expected of a higher tieted "premium"/reward ship

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,763 posts
5,290 battles
1 minute ago, ssiimmoonn2211 said:

Absolutely, the service cost reduction is a big deal but from what i've seen and heard it won't print 1m+ like the MO. Something that might be expected of a higher tieted "premium"/reward ship

Only have two games in mine, but I don't have any problems with her credit earnings myself..

[SM0KE]
Players
5,452 posts
13,458 battles
1 minute ago, ssiimmoonn2211 said:

it won't print 1m+ like the MO

To be fair, *nothing* prints silver like MO does (in competent hands i.e. not mine); allegedly, that was at least partly why it was removed from 'sale'.

The closest you can get these days are the various Kobayashi (sp?) cammo ships...

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,763 posts
5,290 battles
1 minute ago, Verblonde said:

To be fair, *nothing* prints silver like MO does (in competent hands i.e. not mine); allegedly, that was at least partly why it was removed from 'sale'.

The closest you can get these days are the various Kobayashi (sp?) cammo ships...

And those print credits like they're going out of fashion, especially the tier 8's.

• Cool 1

Players
13 posts
4,183 battles
Just now, lafeel said:

Only have two games in mine, but I don't have any problems with her credit earnings myself..

Yeah I mean, for the most part I run premium account and I don't think i've ever gone negative in a game of tier 10 so I heavily doubt I would with a ship that has additional cost reductions.