C0ba1t_K1ller

Premium Ships. Tier 6/7

9 comments in this topic

Players
12 posts
815 battles

Good afternoon/evening. 

I am generally a free-to-play player, spending a couple quid here and there. The Mrs for our anniversary wants to buy me a premium ship, she's asked what I want and tbh I don't have a clue! I am predominantly USN ships in my port and have got upto tier8 (farragut, new Orleans, Cleveland and north carolina). I am not a huge fan of battleship play and tend to prefer to play either destroyers or cruisers. Generally I tend to have the Cleveland as my go-to ship for fun, while I have the tier6 Japanese dd for torpedo play I find this frustrating at times!

I'm tempted by either the Scharnhorst, which seems to be interesting, but I don't have any German ships really and Atlanta which sounds fun and could use my Cleveland captain in.

What would you guys recommend? Ideally I don't want to be spending much more than £20-25 and a premium that's almost a carbon copy of a silver ship doesn't interest me really as I won't have too many premiums so would like them to be different. 

Thanks, 

Cobalt. 

Players
853 posts
907 battles

Well, Cobalt Killer, if you aren't going to get an Atlanta where you  could transfer your Cleve Cpt to & you aren't into BB play then the Scharnhorst may not be for you either.

You say you like Cruiser & Destroyer play.

I suggest buying two things with your 20-25 pounds;

1) whatever premium Cruiser or Destroyer  listed in either the Tech tree lines or in the Premium Shop that you think you'd like (read up on them first). You have many lines to choose from these days apart from the USN. You are British (I assume). Why not a premium UK CA/CL or DD?

2) make sure you purchase a 10 pt Cpt of the appropriate Navy from the Arsenal - for T6/7 you require a minimum (I'd advise) of a 10 pt Cpt.

Figure out exactly what you will need to buy & how much it will cost. I'm thinking a T6/7 CA/CL or DD & required 10 pt Cpt will be within your budget.

Make sure whatever premium you buy it has decent AA capability (& check what the upgrade slots will offer you, as well, since that is all you can change build-wise, that is).

Otherwise - what you should buy premium-wise is entirely up to you. GL to you. 0>

[SCRUB]
[SCRUB]
Players
110 posts

You honestly cannot go wrong with teh sharn. Its one the best balanced, most fun ships in the game in my opinion. Win, lose or draw I basically have enjoyed every game in my sharn. It's also at the tier 7 sweet spot. 

[SM0KE]
Players
5,412 posts
13,277 battles
2 hours ago, C0ba1t_K1ller said:

What would you guys recommend?

Based on what you've said:

• Scharnhorst might be worth a crack - she doesn't play like a 'classic' BB, and is great fun (especially if you like brawling); she's generally felt to be one of the most entertaining premiums in the game. Her armament tends to lend itself to brawling, which is a rather hazardous endeavour if one doesn't have the requisite skill (I don't, so my attempts in randoms tend to go horribly pear-shaped much of the time). She's an excellent choice for T7 Ops as well, which can make her a good earner, whilst you wait to refine your skills for randoms.
  • If you're digging cruisers, especially 'dakka' ones, it's worth having a look at Atlanta, or perhaps Boise. The former is hilarious (all kinds of dakka, plus the ludicrous YOLO torps), albeit spectacularly vulnerable, whilst the latter is a bit more 'typical' of US CLs - the heal is very nice to have, and she's another good choice for Ops.
  • As to DDs, Sims was recently buffed, works well with all the planes around at the moment (Def AA), and works well with pretty much any sensible US DD captain build. 10.5 km torps (even if they're very slow) are nice to have, plus the guns are excellent for their tier (provided you've got the hang of rainbow arcs). Alternatively, Monaghan isn't a bad shout, and has two very different builds available, one of which gets 9.2 km torps at T6 (at the expense of half her gun power); that said, I would suggest Sims as a better choice, as she's more consistent with the rest of the silver line, plus only slightly more expensive than Monaghan.

Something I might also suggest is to wait for some sort of sale (if you have the patience), as several of the above are more expensive than your stated budget (only the DDs aren't, I think)...

[SM0KE]
Players
5,412 posts
13,277 battles

@C0ba1t_K1ller - a small post-script: my previous suggestions are based on what you said, plus what would work well with existing captains (training is a key part of premium ships' utility, after all).

If the question is interpreted as just 'good premiums that are less than twenty-five quid':

• T-61 (KM) is one of the best premiums in the game tier-for-tier, provided you can make the most of the smoke/hydro combination, with Z-39 an excellent alternative.
  • Loyang (okay, she's 25.77) is worth a look, with a similar consumable combination, although T8 may be a bit high at this point?
  • Avoid Sharkbait (Oo Ha Ha!) - Indianapolis - she's too hard to play, unless one is a US heavy cruiser meister.
  • Leningrad is fun - until Terrible showed up, she was the fastest DD in the game, and has more usable range on her torps than the regular Russian DDs.
  • Haida is one of my favourite ships in the game, although she isn't the easiest to play - difficult ballistic arcs, and you need to be proficient with single fire torps (also, worthless captain trainer at the moment).
  • Perth is quite interesting, if you want 'different' - she's sort of like a Leander with creeping smoke, and no heal. Spotter plane enables you to see out of your smoke cloud if others aren't spotting. Not that easy to play, but definitely interesting (Huanghe is a similar alternative, but gets hydro instead of spotter plane, but seems to have dropped off sale at the moment). Again, no use for captain training.

BTW if you have coal kicking around, there is a lot to be said for giving some premiums the 'magic' upgrades that you can buy for coal in the Arsenal e.g. everything in the above list that I have that uses hydro (and can be equipped with it) gets the coal hydro mod (in the case of Haida, it makes you functionally immune to torps, assuming you can manoeuvre, for a ridiculously long time).

[POI--]
Players
483 posts
7,502 battles

I`d say that there are three major contenders:

Scharnhorst aka the biggest destroyer in the game aka battlecruiser with the speed of a destroyer and armor of the battleship.

The video below presents it fairly well :) (except for old content: AA, and Capt. Skills)

Spoiler

It lacks long range accuracy, and penetration, but it`s not designed to snipe.

You get torpedoes for a reason!

Next comes the mighty Sims, aka the ship that sails almost as fast as it`s torps go.

It`s god tier in terms of agility, but it pays for it with fairly bad concealment, and rainbow gun arcs.

It has some fairly good AA, you should have no issues defending yourself.

In the end i think that Sims is great as a support DD. It excels at capping, smoking people up, and providing AA cover. It`s not as good in terms of DPS.

Last but not least there is the Leningrad.

(i`m not sure you can still buy it)

It`s hands down the fastest DD you`ll see in T7 (except Le terrible which sucks major balls, and you`ll never see it).

It has some good torpedoes (better than SIms), reliable guns, but pays for above with bad AA, worse smoke, and worse manuverability.

If you can buy it i`d recommend it over Sims for solo play.

The ship i don`t recommend buyng at all are Atlanta (used to be an AA god, now is nothing but XP pinata), Indianapolis (it`s kinda good, but takes citadel damage from almost every AP shell),  Molotov (same as above, but with even better guns, and even worse armor), Graf Spee (good-ish armor, but horrible DPS, and accuracy), DUNKerque (either gunners are drunk, or FCS is broken - or both), Huanghe (oh boy where do i even start... - a DD with citadel).

• Cool 1

Players
9,815 posts
11,484 battles
28 minutes ago, Verblonde said:

@C0ba1t_K1ller - a small post-script: my previous suggestions are based on what you said, plus what would work well with existing captains (training is a key part of premium ships' utility, after all).

If the question is interpreted as just 'good premiums that are less than twenty-five quid':

• T-61 (KM) is one of the best premiums in the game tier-for-tier, provided you can make the most of the smoke/hydro combination, with Z-39 an excellent alternative.
  • Loyang (okay, she's 25.77) is worth a look, with a similar consumable combination, although T8 may be a bit high at this point?
  • Avoid Sharkbait (Oo Ha Ha!) - Indianapolis - she's too hard to play, unless one is a US heavy cruiser meister.
  • Leningrad is fun - until Terrible showed up, she was the fastest DD in the game, and has more usable range on her torps than the regular Russian DDs.
  • Haida is one of my favourite ships in the game, although she isn't the easiest to play - difficult ballistic arcs, and you need to be proficient with single fire torps (also, worthless captain trainer at the moment).
  • Perth is quite interesting, if you want 'different' - she's sort of like a Leander with creeping smoke, and no heal. Spotter plane enables to see out of your smoke cloud if others aren't spotting. Not that easy to play, but definitely interesting (Huanghe is a similar alternative, but gets hydro instead of spotter plane, but seems to have dropped off sale at the moment). Again, no use for captain training.

BTW if you have coal kicking around, there is a lot to be said for giving some premiums the 'magic' upgrades that you can buy for coal in the Arsenal e.g. everything in the above list that I have that uses hydro (and can be equipped with it) gets the coal hydro mod (in the case of Haida, it makes you functionally immune to torps, assuming you can manoeuvre, for a ridiculously long time).

Indianapolis is as carbon copy of USN heavy cruisers as it can get, which synergizes perfectly well with USN CA captain and skill sets. And those don't differ that much from other heavy cruisers to be honest.

Atlanta definitely falls under "fun and unique", but to get the most out of her 18 point captain is in order, preferably dedicated one but most skills are welcome in Cleveland and US light cruisers in general.

Depending how much time you can spend on the game, quarterly premium account is not bad option

• Cool 1

Players
2,175 posts
20,259 battles

Generally, what I maybe wouldn't consider is ships from nations for which you can't readily get at least a regular 10-point commander, at least as long as you don't have a few maxed-out commanders that allow you to grind Elite commander XP, which lets you "blow up" a regular 3-pt recruited commander in a relatively short time. So, besides US and Germany, that would be UK and France. No Perth, Duca etc. (although they are great). However during the next patch, there will be space battles, where you get access to a whole bunch of maxed-out commanders for a whole month. If you enjoy these and play them a lot, you could gain hundreds of thousand of elite Commander XP during that time fairly easily. Also there will be Space Captains on sale from the Arsenal which don't come with special skills and look funny but do have ten skill points, so a chance to gain a viable Japanese commander.

In your price range, Scharnhorst and Atlanta are definitely among the most unique and interesting choices. Neither are easy, but both can be fun and rewarding when you manage to pull off a good play.

Don't let it stop you that you didn't grind anything German so far, just get one of the Jutland captains from the Arsenal (or a space captain, next month) and you can have a basic, viable 10-point build right away.

There are other very good premiums on VI and VII though.

Before the carrier rework, T-61 might have been the single most OP ship in the game that is currently on sale, and yet she's not so OP that it gets embarrassing.

I've also been having a lot of fun with Monaghan, which I'd never bought outright but got "forced upon me" by a Santa Lootbox. Has defensive AA and it is the most capable DD of its tier in the current, carrier-heavy meta. Part of this is because it does not have to give up engine boost to gain Defensive AA. Part of it is because I don't think she is as notorious as a troll ship among CV players (yet) as Sims, Kidd or even the silver US DDs that can have defensive AA. Part of it admittedly is because I am of course running her with 19-pt Captain Alexander Ovechkin, whose special skill makes her extra resilient, with 3,000 more hit points than a regular Farragut.

Molotov is also a very good ship, it's a slightly tankier Kirov with Dmitri Donskoi guns from Tier IX. I've been having difficulty in Budyonny and Kirov but Molotov came a lot easier. Russian 10-pt captain Znamensky is also available from the Arsenal.

Ships I would definitely not recommend in the foreseeable future (exaggerated):

Arizona, West Virginia - too slow and the AA is too bad, so you're just carrier fodder. Which is a shame, especially regarding WV, because I like big guns.

PEF - too clumsy, too long, too squishy, too unfun.

Huang He - undergunned

Aigle, Ashitaka - just crap

Nueve - fun but useless due to lack of silver ship line; get Boise instead and get a lot more use out of her and your top light cruiser captain

Blyska - similar predicament

Or you could just spend even less money and do something really crazy and get Okhotnik the Absurd. Just saying.

• Cool 2

[DEFR]
Players
1,217 posts
5 hours ago, C0ba1t_K1ller said:

I'm tempted by either the Scharnhorst, which seems to be interesting, but I don't have any German ships really and Atlanta which sounds fun and could use my Cleveland captain in.

Scharnhorst is fast and has torps so can be played in multiple roles, even as a heavy cruiser. The Atlanta can be fun, but it requires some skill to play it well. While it may have great fast firing guns for the lolz, it also has paper armour and so is very unforgiving if you make a mistake with position and get caught out.

If it's between them two ships you fancy getting. Personally, I'd go for the Shorn first because it has a more varied role play you can use it for. Atlanta is basically hugging islands all the time to avoid being shot at and using its very limited 11k shooting range. I hope you're aware it does only shoot 11k, and while you can use the skill AFT to extent the range to 13k, you will have a hard time hitting anything at that range if moving because of the very high gun arc.