You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Inappropriate_noob

Practice......

30 comments in this topic

Players
3,220 posts

Something was put t me last night by a division buddy that to get better in the game you need to learn things in Randoms, no co ops as  had previously thought.

Is this sound advice or not?

[TTTX]
[TTTX]
Players
4,608 posts
8,081 battles

depends on what you want/need to learn, really...

If it's about the basics of controlling your ship, aim and such, then Coop tends to be the best place. Same maybe for getting used to how a new ship handles, like ballistics and turning circle.

If it's got anything to do with positioning or tactics, Coop is worthless.

If it's about game mechanics that you don't understand, Youtube or the forums are the place to find out.

• Cool 6

[-MM]
Weekend Tester
300 posts
7,557 battles

Co-Op is useful for trying out new boats, different builds, and experimenting with AP v HE, etc.

Given how random Randoms are, not sure they're good for practicing anything except facepalming and pinging the minimap

• Funny 3

Players
126 posts
7,374 battles

Randoms are where you need to go the understand positioning and map awareness. 

In coop Bots just YOLO charge the nearest player and follow a fairly predictable path.

In Randoms players do human things and prioritise targets based on different criteria (who can I kill, who is broadside, who is a threat? ) rather than who is spotted and closest to me. 

Also, sucking and failing should be viewed as a learning experience. This is hard to do in coop. Bots don't torp smoke, blind fire or patiently set up a 4kmYOLO torp ambush from behind an island. 

As others have said coop is really just a step above the Training Rooms for testing ships and guns. 

• Cool 3

[NIKE]
Beta Tester
3,394 posts
7,276 battles
15 minutes ago, Captain_KriegWurst said:

As others have said coop is really just a step above the Training Rooms for testing ships and guns. 

Worse, too much coop will give you terrible habits. In coop I can sail a GK into the centre of the map and wait while the enemy bots yolo into my secondaries. Try that in random and you'll be back to port faster than you can blink

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1

[RODS]
Players
1,246 posts
7,224 battles

Coop is only good for aiming practice

Play random battles mid tier 5-6-7 until u get the hang of it

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,446 posts
30 minutes ago, Xevious_Red said:

Worse, too much coop will give you terrible habits. In coop I can sail a GK into the centre of the map and wait while the enemy bots yolo into my secondaries. Try that in random and you'll be back to port faster than you can blink

Coop, Operations, Random and Ranked each have their own specific skill requirements. I see many Random/Ranked players perform like hopping noobs in Operations.

You will have to learn about and  adapt to all game modes to do well in them.

Bot games will learn you to aim accurate and kill fast, as they come in waves and push hard. And shoot pretty accurate too if you don't kill them quick enough. In randoms it is more about learning human behaviour, their use of tactics and them using specific ship ablities against you. And so you should learn to do in return.

• Cool 2

[SM0KE]
Players
5,445 posts
13,455 battles
2 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Mixture of both, and depends a bit on your aims.

If you want to just muck about, blowing sh*t up, coop is your friend. It's also a great mode for missions (if it's allowed) that call for things like 'do x damage', 'start x fires', 'sink x ships' and so on. It'll help you learn to aim, and identify which ammo choices are optimal when, and so on. However, your enemy are very predictable, and don't exhibit a lot of the behaviours that real people do e.g. they don't camp etc.

If you want to hone your skills against an unpredictable enemy, then you definitely want randoms (or other PvP mode); although real people often do idiotic things, camp, over-extend etc. you won't generally play the same battle twice. You'll have to work for your results more often - Coop is a lot easier, unless you're the only human on your team (which happens quite often if you play at odd hours).

The crucial reason to play Randoms (IMO) is that the rewards and progression are generally much better, quite apart from you generally learning stuff faster.

Personally, I play both modes, and which I pick varies with what I'm trying to do: grind silver/xp - play randoms; more casual gameplay, not taking things seriously, or just doing a suitable mission - play coop.

• Cool 2

Players
3,220 posts

Ok guys thanks for the advice, my aim is to get better this time around, aiming is still a bit hit and miss but I am guessing that is so for most, I am actively trying to improve, just takes time, well for me it does lol.

• Cool 1

[-AP-]
Players
2,500 posts
6,093 battles

Start by going to the wiki and reading up on the game mechanics, then a mixture of yourtube(i would recommend watching flamu on youtube or twitch) and random battles.

You will learn theory from reading game mechanics, you will learn how to apply that theory and a ton of other tips from watching youtube and you will practise all of these things when playing randoms.

Players
311 posts
14,067 battles

Co op is awsome if you plan to play it as only mode in future, if you plan playing randoms then practise in random, just take lower tiers, tier 5-7.

[ONE2]
Players
3,083 posts
21,186 battles
21 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Something was put t me last night by a division buddy that to get better in the game you need to learn things in Randoms, no co ops as  had previously thought.

He is absolutely right lad. :cap_like:

In fact the bot "gameplay" is so different from reality against other players that playing too much Coop may actually be harmful to your chances of succeeding in a "real" game against other players. Bots yolo right to the nearest cap and get to close quarters immediately, real people almost never do that (except for a few spechul ones) and if you try to do the same things in randoms, which work in Coop you are liable to die early and accomplish little except hightened levels of personal frustration. :fish_boom::Smile_facepalm::etc_swear:

My advise is, play your levels up VERY SLOWLY:

Tier 1 is for the basic gunnery training at 10km range, it also teaches you positioning and team play, as there are often some very experienced SOB's there (like myself) shamelessly sealclubbing newcomers. You can learn a lot by observing how they play and adopting it for yourself.

Tier 2 is good for more intermediate gunnery and basic torp training (both using and evading them) due to high numbers of DD's in those games, it is also good when trying to learn the knife-fighting basics in a DD.

Tier 3 is your level for learning more advanced gunnery and BB play (both with and against), Citadelling and avoiding them too. Also where you start encountering occasional CV's, so learn to counter them without relying on much AA (will come in handy later). If you play BB's, make sure learn how to counter DD's here or suffer the inevitably harsh consequences even long after.

Tier 4, now you will be facing CV's full time so beginners CV/AA training starts here, also the first level in which you actually get any AA for most ships (YAY). Also your advanced torpedo training level (both using and evading). Differences between countries and ship lines and their specific roles in a team  will become more and more pronounced at and after this tier so perfect time to learn the requisite playstyle(s) too.

Tier 5, first time you will face your "Real Test of Manhood" with a possibility of +2 tier MM and pronounceable differences between various ship lines and countries. It is in this tier you will be able to see, which ship line or country you may want to start "grinding" in earnest. You will also face the challenge of playing bottom tier against much more powerful ships and will have to learn how to deal with them, (it is indeed possible, though not necessarily a cake-walk, i assure you). But just think of all those juicy extra rewards you will be getting for brilliantly playing bottom-tier eh?

Do not skip any of these tiers, otherwise you will just and up at tier 6 or higher with less skill than those dweeby tier 1 players, it just won't end well that way...:Smile_sad:

Simply put, master these tiers well before proceeding and you will save yourself shiploads of grief and salt, not to mention increase your own performance and enjoyment of the game tenfold. Once these tiers are covered you will do well in any tier and the rest is just leveling up the tiers to see new ships and maps for fun.:cap_tea:

PS. Never sell off ALL of your lower tier ships (personally I kept most of them and still having fun playing all tiers, just for variety's sake) in order to advance up the tiers, you will end up regretting it later and quickly run out of Credits when you get to high tiers. Playing with a wider variety of ships improves your flexibility and skill overall and will improve your battle performance (playing well as -2 bottom tier is the absolute best training for that), also the added variety keeps the game interesting for much longer.

• Cool 2

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,861 posts
11,828 battles
16 hours ago, _Dunc_ said:

Co-Op is useful for trying out new boats, different builds, and experimenting with AP v HE, etc.

Co-op is useful for completing some of the missions.

But I agree that the behaviour of the BOTs in co-op (where they usually aggressively push) doesn't really prepare you for a battle against another player.

• Cool 1

[MUMMY]
Beta Tester
243 posts
4,138 battles

Obviously these are different game modes but especially for people that have no experience in the game (such as myself) Co-op is a very useful way to learn the basics. I dont really see the reason of diving into random games against players in +2 fully upgraded ships with all kinds of equipments, flags, camos and fully expierenced commanders, that know how to shoot, use camouflage, torpedoes and are able to outplay/outsmart/bamboozle me on every map, while I struggle to lead shots on a moving target, just so I can tell myself I would be learning necessary lessons. There is no reason choosing the most painful way, just to get the full learning package.

Your buddy sure is right, there are some things that Co-op does not teach. But they sure help a lot for a good start and give small rewards in terms of XP, missions and knowledge that work in your favour for leveling the odds when finally deciding to join randoms. Also, other people are probably more happy if I join those games with something more contributive than just good will.

Personally I set myself the goal of reaching T6 in all lines of the USN and IJN tree with a handful of aquired commander points, feeling comfortable with my results in hitting - and then I will play randoms again. This may sure take a while but I am not in a hurry and learning is just experiencing over time.

• Cool 1

Players
3,220 posts
5 hours ago, RAHJAILARI said:

He is absolutely right lad. :cap_like:

In fact the bot "gameplay" is so different from reality against other players that playing too much Coop may actually be harmful to your chances of succeeding in a "real" game against other players. Bots yolo right to the nearest cap and get to close quarters immediately, real people almost never do that (except for a few spechul ones) and if you try to do the same things in randoms, which work in Coop you are liable to die early and accomplish little except hightened levels of personal frustration. :fish_boom::Smile_facepalm::etc_swear:

My advise is, play your levels up VERY SLOWLY:

Tier 1 is for the basic gunnery training at 10km range, it also teaches you positioning and team play, as there are often some very experienced SOB's there (like myself) shamelessly sealclubbing newcomers. You can learn a lot by observing how they play and adopting it for yourself.

Tier 2 is good for more intermediate gunnery and basic torp training (both using and evading them) due to high numbers of DD's in those games, it is also good when trying to learn the knife-fighting basics in a DD.

Tier 3 is your level for learning more advanced gunnery and BB play (both with and against), Citadelling and avoiding them too. Also where you start encountering occasional CV's, so learn to counter them without relying on much AA (will come in handy later). If you play BB's, make sure learn how to counter DD's here or suffer the inevitably harsh consequences even long after.

Tier 4, now you will be facing CV's full time so beginners CV/AA training starts here, also the first level in which you actually get any AA for most ships (YAY). Also your advanced torpedo training level (both using and evading). Differences between countries and ship lines and their specific roles in a team  will become more and more pronounced at and after this tier so perfect time to learn the requisite playstyle(s) too.

Tier 5, first time you will face your "Real Test of Manhood" with a possibility of +2 tier MM and pronounceable differences between various ship lines and countries. It is in this tier you will be able to see, which ship line or country you may want to start "grinding" in earnest. You will also face the challenge of playing bottom tier against much more powerful ships and will have to learn how to deal with them, (it is indeed possible, though not necessarily a cake-walk, i assure you). But just think of all those juicy extra rewards you will be getting for brilliantly playing bottom-tier eh?

Do not skip any of these tiers, otherwise you will just and up at tier 6 or higher with less skill than those dweeby tier 1 players, it just won't end well that way...:Smile_sad:

Simply put, master these tiers well before proceeding and you will save yourself shiploads of grief and salt, not to mention increase your own performance and enjoyment of the game tenfold. Once these tiers are covered you will do well in any tier and the rest is just leveling up the tiers to see new ships and maps for fun.:cap_tea:

PS. Never sell off ALL of your lower tier ships (personally I kept most of them and still having fun playing all tiers, just for variety's sake) in order to advance up the tiers, you will end up regretting it later and quickly run out of Credits when you get to high tiers. Playing with a wider variety of ships improves your flexibility and skill overall and will improve your overall battle performance, also the added variety keeps the game interesting for much longer.

Ah, in that respect i have most of my lower tiers ships, so can match any player teir for tier, and once again thanks for the advice

• Cool 1

Players
318 posts
10,758 battles

Try and div with a guy who is better than you, maybe also ask him for some replays to watch, it will help if he is also in coms with you.

• Cool 2

Players
3,220 posts

Well I have been practising in randoms.....at tier 1.

Maybe I am meeting these experienced SOB's lol as it a is a harrowing experience, and one which has led me to a question, so rather than start a new thread to bore you all with, here it is....

WoW's has an invite a friend section, first of all would you, and if you did, what would tier one do exactly for the new player?

I myself am going through doubloons, like Homer Simpson going through doughnuts in fetching most of my 10 point captains down to tier 1, yet the ships don't have heals, the speed is mediocre, and if your mingling with-the first time players, then the game is seemingly all over the place.

If someone were to invite me to the game now, I think I would have soon lost interest.

[HOO]
Players
1,885 posts
3,704 battles
3 hours ago, VeryHonarbrah said:

Try and div with a guy who is better than you, maybe also ask him for some replays to watch, it will help if he is also in coms with you.

^THIS^ or join a clan that will help you gain more experience in  the game and what ships and classes suit your play style

• Cool 1

[SM0KE]
Players
5,445 posts
13,455 battles

@NoobySkooby +1 to the 'join a clan' advice - quite apart from being able to division up with people, there are quite a few economic bonuses to be had.

BTW if you're worried about the commitment, you can always leave again if you decide said clan smells and its collective mother dresses it funny, and join a different clan. There's a bit of a cooldown period between leaving one clan, and joining another, but that's it...

• Cool 2

[TACHA]
Players
1,414 posts
15,612 battles

Just had a look at your stats. You went up the tiers too early to get hold of good ships - did just the same myself. I went back and found a ship to practice in - I chose the T3 St Louis - tough so forgiving and lots of guns so you can practice shooting a lot! I played it till I got better, learned about angling and positioning and then moved up. Tier 1 is not really the place to learn as apart from the odd seal clubber, you will get mainly novices. Co-op is amusing but not the real game. I still play it to get mission objectives when tired. I played St Louis till I got over a 50% WR and then went up.

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,796 posts
7,356 battles

If you learn in co-op... I had never done it, then a mate showed me... then the surprise...

ATROCIOUS!!! The bots do not push, they just go FORWARD LIKE IDIOTS.

But so do teammates. They even manage to lose. OMG. Like pirañhas on a corpse.

All I have to do is smoke up in Leander, and broadside after broadside sails past... or so it should be, in theory...

Ah man... the expected farming... is really bad though, unexpectedly, as I find out that others have learned farming better than me.

But... last games (we had to do 'get 1000 hits with main guns') me and my div-mate killed all 7 of them, left none for anyone else. :Smile_playing:

~150 hits in Leander and not a scratch on it... FAR FAR FAR different than randoms.

Be VERY careful and enjoy. Randoms are much more exciting IMO. 

• Cool 1

Players
3,220 posts
9 hours ago, Fat_Maniac said:

^THIS^ or join a clan that will help you gain more experience in  the game and what ships and classes suit your play style

I do , do this and certain players help me a lot, and we have fun along the way.

• Cool 1

Players
3,220 posts
7 hours ago, triumphgt6 said:

Just had a look at your stats. You went up the tiers too early to get hold of good ships - did just the same myself. I went back and found a ship to practice in - I chose the T3 St Louis - tough so forgiving and lots of guns so you can practice shooting a lot! I played it till I got better, learned about angling and positioning and then moved up. Tier 1 is not really the place to learn as apart from the odd seal clubber, you will get mainly novices. Co-op is amusing but not the real game. I still play it to get mission objectives when tired. I played St Louis till I got over a 50% WR and then went up.

Nice advice, and to think it cost me a ton of doubloons to get my 10 point captains to tier 1 ships, I wanted a bit of this seal clubbing pie you see, sadly I met many more seal clubbers on the opposing team, lol

[LEEUW]
Players
2,277 posts
10,051 battles
8 hours ago, NoobySkooby said:

Nice advice, and to think it cost me a ton of doubloons to get my 10 point captains to tier 1 ships, I wanted a bit of this seal clubbing pie you see, sadly I met many more seal clubbers on the opposing team, lol

You can actually switch the currency used to retrain captains from doubloons to captain xp. So if you have that, you do not have to use doubloons. ;)