Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Grandma

Possible solution to balancing CVs for everybody

35 comments in this topic

[ASS]
Beta Tester
64 posts
11,551 battles

The CV-rework mechanic created a wonderful new and arcade like way to play carriers, forcing CV-players to fight one to one against opponents, like all other ships do. The major idea was to stop good players from over-ruling the game by not allowing multiple ship and scout engagements at the same time anymore, and giving average players a more easier access to CV-play, helping them enjoy the new and fun arcade action.

That idea hasn't been resolved yet, mainly because WG only changed game play parameters, that were still valid to all players, instead of inventing game parameters with regard to player success. The major problem we are having with the CV-rework is the situation, that we can't get more people to play carriers by balancing the CVs to an average player level (50% win rate), by lowering CV damage and strengthening AA-defence without creating an intense game frustration to average CV players and a still over-powered game success for better players, and their teams - because better players can usually overcome these measures and stay successfull.

The situation is similar to a golf tournament, in which weak players are up against better players. Without an advantage, the weaker players would normaly have no chance to win the tournament. To make an advantage, a score handycap was created to compensate for the expected game outcome between weak and strong players, allowing both players to win the tournament.

Precisely this is what we need to balance game play when using carriers. We need an advantage, that weaker players have over better players, without the need to change ship and plane characteristics (which we now know, doesn't work). This new system would allow average success at average winrate levels (<= 55%) and requires more skill play at higher winrate levels (>55%) to reach the same success.

The needed advantage I propose to balance the new CV-rework environment is mini map CV-CONCEALMENT. All players with a win-rate above 55% cannot conceal their carrier on the mini map. Their CV is always shown on the mini map, as if spotted. The concealment ranges in game are further valid. You cannot see a CV ingame that is out of range, although it's position always shows on the mini map.

This malus is a big challenge for skilled players, because they must manage their ship maneuvering more skillfull and risky, than average players. This malus forces the skilled player to defend himself more intense and show more map reading sensitivity and multitasking capablities, then a weaker player. A player capable of influencing a game win in this dangerous environment has truly earned that game outcome for himself and his team, causing no resentment.

With good testing, this could prove to be a good regulation to make CV-play fun for all.

Looking for good responses...

Robert

• Funny 11
  • Bad 4

[TTT]
Players
4,323 posts
7,937 battles

I'll save everyone the effort.

48% overall.

44% in the new Midway, with 32k average damage.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 8

Players
2,261 posts
245 battles

This kinda reminds me of armoured warfare (pretty much dead now) with their arty in how if you fired a shot you would get pinged on the map do it two more times snd your spotted regardless of location for 10-15secs i think it was.

how you would do this in wows is beyond me since i have no clue how you could go about it.

i dont believe forcing players above 55% wr to be spotted permeantly is a good idea since this will discourage better players from trying or playing cvs in general. Especially since the other cv player has a worse winrate could just continuously farm damage and kill the cv since the enemy cv has to actually find where the enemy cv is first then strike.

so me as a 53% wr player could just focus the enemy cv then i get free reign over the skys and can even focus more on spotting dds for my team and strike without worrying about covering teammates.

not really a good idea at all, but nice try.

Players
0 posts

Can we have it then for any player in any shipclass?
So I know where to avoid Minos, Worcester and Co?

Good and bad players are in every ship class. CVs have lost their ability to outplay enemy CV and take him out of game while making lots of damage. So a CV plays against 11 enemy ships that can work together to counter a good CV player. Or that can decide to lose because they are not playing together.

• Cool 2

[BLUMR]
Players
100 posts
6,174 battles
6 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

'll save everyone the effort.

48% overall.

I was literally about to write a well structured response on why its beyond unreasonable. 

Thank You :fish_sleep:

Players
2,261 posts
245 battles

Well my post just went out the window.

r.i.p ladz.

i wonder if the king of dots aka yasakarxx will show up? :cap_haloween:

• Funny 3

[CATS]
Players
17,828 posts
11,758 battles

CV are not balanced against CV anymore, but against all ships.

The times when CV duelled each other in a match are over.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
10,055 posts
15,733 battles

You do realize that when the average player sees a CV, he immediately goes full :etc_swear: and tries to chase it down?

Do you know how often I exploit this?

Players
315 posts
8,313 battles
39 minutes ago, Tyrendian89 said:

48% overall.

Doesn't make the OP or his point any less relevant though, does it? If you look at server stats, the average guy gets very little done in the new CV's. The average damage of Midway is very low for T10. I'm not sure how big of an issue it is for WG if CV's are only attractive and rewarding for good players. DD's have always been like that.

If there was a way to buff CV's so that it would somehow help the average player without making the good player any stronger, I would do it. Somebody on Reddit proposed increasing plane spawning rate when the deck gets empty: The good player wouldn't want to rely on it but it would help the average player. It wouldn't change much though.

Punishing success by changing the rules of the game however... It would be a huge turn-off, and make the whole ship class unappealing. Also, it wouldn't change much. Unless you play from WAY back your CV is frequently spotted anyhow. The better the player the more likely it is, and the less he cares out it.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
4,323 posts
7,937 battles
5 minutes ago, asalonen said:

If there was a way to buff CV's so that it would somehow help the average player without making the good player any stronger, I would do it. Somebody on Reddit proposed increasing plane spawning rate when the deck gets empty: The good player wouldn't want to rely on it but it would help the average player. It wouldn't change much though.

this i dont disagree with at all. I just dont have any ideas how to actually do it in a vaguely sensible way...

And the OP's actual suggestion is so far beyond braindead ridiculous it beggars belief...

[RONIN]
Beta Tester
3,078 posts
6,135 battles

Well this is certainly a new take on the ever popular "please nerf everything thats not me"

[ASS]
Beta Tester
64 posts
11,551 battles
1 hour ago, Tyrendian89 said:

48% overall.

Can you please explain your post. I don't get the Point.

• Funny 1

Players
1,161 posts
6,085 battles
Vor 8 Minuten, Grandma sagte:

Can you please explain your post. I don't get the Point.

He is just pointing at relevant stats to save others the time.

But to your idea, it would worsen the game since players will start hunting CV more instead of objectice focus.

Also CV is pretty much always visible. Cv gets spotted ALOT during a game and last known location on Minimap is always visible. It wouldn't make life harder for the CV.

Me personally, i push with my Midway to use it as AA support platform whereever i can. I am tanking from time to time too. Because it makes the enemy team focus on my armored deck while my team pushes.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
5,387 posts
6,781 battles
1 hour ago, Grandma said:

The needed advantage I propose to balance the new CV-rework environment is mini map CV-CONCEALMENT. All players with a win-rate above 55% cannot conceal their carrier on the mini map. Their CV is always shown on the mini map, as if spotted. The concealment ranges in game are further valid. You cannot see a CV ingame that is out of range, although it's position always shows on the mini map.

If you can see it on the minimap, you can shoot it aswell... just sayin :cap_fainting: That CVs have really predictable movement makes it even easier :cap_old:

Beta Tester
195 posts
7,077 battles
42 minutes ago, Zuihou25 said:

Me personally, i push with my Midway to use it as AA support platform whereever i can. I am tanking from time to time too. Because it makes the enemy team focus on my armored deck while my team runs away with tail between legs.

fixed it for ya to reflect my experience with surface ship teammates

Players
1,161 posts
6,085 battles
Vor 1 Minute, SgtTincan sagte:

fixed it for ya to reflect my experience with surface ship teammates

Ouch :/

• Funny 1

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
451 posts
10,289 battles
2 hours ago, Grandma said:

The situation is similar to a golf tournament, in which weak players are up against better players. Without an advantage, the weaker players would normaly have no chance to win the tournament. To make an advantage, a score handycap was created to compensate for the expected game outcome between weak and strong players, allowing both players to win the tournament.

What kind of messed up tournament is this? 

REAL competition is supposed to be fair. What's the point putting your all to get to the top if people around you are given unfair advantages? What's the point of trying to be the best if the weaker guy claims the title because YOU were given a handicap?

If they want to win, they need to put in the time and practice, and overcome like everyone else, not be babied and given an easier time because ''they're weaker'' 

What do you think the best in anything do to get to where they are?

• Cool 2

Players
17 posts
2,301 battles

New player, just unlocked my Yamato...

Yea... I think i might try another game. Im focus of cv every game, i cant do crap but reinforce the sides on an AA that does nothing. Midway usualy get 3 drops done.

If the carrier has any clue i spend all game flooded till i die. Specially like last game where i spawn far from teammate with aa.

A tier 8 saipan had my yamato for breakfast, after 5th flood i couldnt bother and ran it broadside into some bbs to end my misery faster.

Sure dds can be frustrating, but atleast i can fight back... well most of the time.. CV is just [edited].

Probably open this game tomorrow, play till carriers frustrate me enough til i quit for the day as i often do. And play something less infuriating.

• Boring 2

Beta Tester
355 posts
14,076 battles

i dont imagine what goes on on a person mind who comes up with so such idea ...

pls dont breed ...

[-RM-]
Players
374 posts
5,395 battles

Not that i play carriers but that sounds like a bad idea

(ps. are u interested in selling some of that crap u are smoking) 

[TTT]
Players
4,323 posts
7,937 battles
56 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

That CVs have really predictable movement makes it even easier

well, predictable to everyone except the CV captain in question most of the time... :Smile_sceptic:

• Funny 3

[ASS]
Beta Tester
64 posts
11,551 battles
18 minutes ago, hellhound666 said:

i dont imagine what goes on on a person mind who comes up with so such idea ...

pls dont breed ...

I can't imagine either what goes on in your mind which comes up with such an idea…

But thats OK....since you're probably too dumb to breed...

[CATS]
Players
17,828 posts
11,758 battles
2 hours ago, asalonen said:

The average damage of Midway is very low for T10.

Very Low? Even low? She outclasses some BB...

image.thumb.png.a287a9d3d4e76bbeca76c8842112736a.png

Manage your expectations...

Players
1,563 posts
10,182 battles

All i can say, I FIGURED it out.

Goes better than I thought, took me lot more than other ex. unicums but whatever!!!

Sign in to follow this