You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
KapitaenvonMueller

European research tree?

116 comments in this topic

Players
42 posts
12,497 battles

Now that we have the Pan-Asian research tree with more or less unknown and maritime historically insignificant ships, I wonder if it would be an idea

for the developers of WoWs to create a "mixed european" tree.

I think of interesting and sometimes well-known ships such as the spanish battleships of the Espana class, the smallest dreadnoughts in the world.

Not to mention the heavy cruisers of the Baleares class who played a role in the Spanish Civil War.

Or the dutch cruisers and destroyers such as the Tromp, Java, De Ruyter or Korteneer, who, among other things, fought with the Exeter against the

japanese in the pacific and indian oceans.

If you take the ships of the smaller european states together, you get a nice little fleet together.

I would be interested to know how you think about it. Would you like to build such a research tree or at least play one or the other ship as a premium ship?

I would be glad, if you would comment on it!

• Cool 9
  • Bad 1

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
817 posts
4,619 battles

They spoke about it on some gaming event. 

Would really love to play some Dutch ships 

Gerelateerde afbeelding

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

[TORAZ]
Players
330 posts
15,042 battles

WG did give us a "sneak peak" of the Pan EU tree on Gamescom when the Graf Zeppelin was released, I think it was around that time. The first ship that will most likely be in that tree is the premium ship in testing, Viribus Unitis(Austro-Hungarian Navy). Currently its placed in the German tech tree.

I think this is good confirmation that the line is coming, hopefully. 

Edit: Found some links: 

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/167875-pan-eu-nation-confirmed-early-wg-gamescom-details/

https://www.mmowg.net/world-of-warships-gamescom-2018-pan-european-tree/?cn-reloaded=1

• Cool 2

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles

It seems to me the addition of a new tree is covered by a fanfare declaring a new Premium ship, and it stops there. It would be nice if WG filled out some of the trees already started by offering a whole lot more silver ships before milking any more pockets. The Italian tree comes to mind in this regard. And just like the Austro-Hungarian Navy we should be very worried that WG will be eyeing Mongolia, which also has a Navy (apparently one of them can actually swim), as does the Central African Republic, the common denominator being none of them has an ocean. 

• Funny 1

[-TPF-]
Players
5,149 posts
21,125 battles
10 hours ago, KapitaenvonMueller said:

Now that we have the Pan-Asian research tree with more or less unknown and maritime historically insignificant ships,

Isn't Phra Ruang HMS Radiant, one of the last surviving British WW1 destroyers?

And in any case, the whole PA line is quite fun.

But +1 to Pan European ships. De Zeven Provincien would be fun... 

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,649 posts
7,861 battles

Blysk is a pan European ship, if my memory serves me right. I’d guess it will change when they add a second one, because currently it is still part of a Polish tree.

[-OHO-]
Players
691 posts

In 1 of the last streams Mrconway has said the words "pan-Europe tech tree".  :cap_win:

And so far that we know  it would be a tree of Poland + Austria-Hungary + Netherlands.

Sadly nothing is final until it's launched in to the game.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,306 posts
22,286 battles

Pan-EU tree was confirmed at gamescom last year.

I was there.

On 8/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, El2aZeR said:

Live from gamescom (hey @MrConway, guess who I am :D):

Pan-EU tree and something from Austria-Hungary

New Halloween event

20180821_121731.jpg

20180821_121908.jpg

On 8/21/2018 at 3:18 PM, El2aZeR said:

Pan EU flag not final btw. Poland, Netherlands, Austria-Hungary confirmed. No greeks. Blyska moved to Pan EU.

[-OHO-]
Players
691 posts
On 8/21/2018 at 12:28 PM, El2aZeR said:

20180821_121731.jpg

I really hope they get a little more creative about that flag... maybe :cap_hmm:...something like this 1

51D240SYKQL._SX425_.jpg

The PAN-ASIAN has the mythical dragon. Why not the medieval unicorn for the PAN-Europe. I would keep it blue.

Still hope they will hold a contest about it. 

Spoiler

Or maybe this 1...:cap_haloween:

2745680_1.jpg

Alpha Tester
1,006 posts
11,990 battles

i'm ok with that but please, PLEASE WG, do an italian tech tree first, is getting quite ridicolous

• Cool 4

[BOBS3]
Players
1,018 posts
22,366 battles
5 minutes ago, FooFaFie said:

I really hope they get a little more creative about that flag... maybe :cap_hmm:...something like this 1

51D240SYKQL._SX425_.jpg

Is that because it's like waiting for Unicorns?

Surely a Representation of Europa would be more appropriate?

The Map of Europe is a non-starter, post Brexit!

Anyway with French, Germans, Italian's, Russians/Soviets & British already represented you would need to de-emphasise those.

[-OHO-]
Players
691 posts
43 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Anyway with French, Germans, Italian's, Russians/Soviets & British already represented you would need to de-emphasise those.

Personally I would find it strange to have a flag with countries on it that will NEVER have ships in the tree because they have their own trees. I'm looking at the U., France, Germany and Italy. That's just  going full moronic. Also they said at Gamescom this was just a provisional flag. 

You could go the EU-flag because the  PAN-EUR tree has ZERO to do with the UK or their Brexit. But not every possible candidate for the PAN-EUR tree is in the EU. And of course the EU didn't exist in  1910 to 1950.

And if the the PAN-ASIA goes mythical why not the PAN-EUR. The unicorn still stands symbol for 'purity' and 'grace' . Also it's linked with the medieval times (+ Renaissance). Most European national identities are from those times.

Beta Tester
1,650 posts
8,156 battles
13 hours ago, Linkaex said:

They spoke about it on some gaming event. 

Would really love to play some Dutch ships 

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Omg that is glorious! :Smile_teethhappy:

Just imagine we get an alternate camo like this in the game if that ship gets released. :cap_haloween:

2 hours ago, FooFaFie said:

51D240SYKQL._SX425_.jpg

The PAN-ASIAN has the mythical dragon. Why not the medieval unicorn for the PAN-Europe. I would keep it blue.

Still hope they will hold a contest about it. 

I like the idea of the unicorns in general (just think of the memes! :cap_haloween:). Also the MLP part of the community will be happy they got their own nation ingame. :Smile_trollface:

The second flag is just a bit too much though. Also the "historically acurate" part of the community will wave with their pitchforks if WG does this.

2 hours ago, Cambera_1 said:

With so many holes in it, the map will be hardly recognized anymore though. Especially when you look at the level of thought from the average random player. :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
605 posts
5,329 battles

Well.... both the Polish and the Austrian flag is red and white.

So if we add a bit of blue to that to represent the fact that this is a naval flag, we should be all set.

Just make the thing, Red + White + Blue and everybody is happy.

Slap a lion on it or something if you want a bit action.

I'm sure the Dutch won't disagree (:Smile-_tongue:)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Players
8,092 posts
245 battles

I dont mind if they fill the tech tree with fictional ships, actually wouldnt mind seeing a non-aligned tech tree in the game with some random flag. 

But id rather have the italians in the game first they should of been here after the germans or brits (which ever was the last out of the two).

oh well.

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
605 posts
5,329 battles
2 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

I dont mind if they fill the tech tree with fictional ships, actually wouldnt mind seeing a non-aligned tech tree in the game with some random flag. 

But id rather have the italians in the game first they should of been here after the germans or brits (which ever was the last out of the two).

With the 3 nations mentioned they'll be able to fill the cruisers and DD lines without any trouble with real ships.

And I agree the Italians should have been added before the Russians .....  but well... Give me the Dutch!

Players
8,092 posts
245 battles
1 hour ago, Hummus said:

With the 3 nations mentioned they'll be able to fill the cruisers and DD lines without any trouble with real ships.

And I agree the Italians should have been added before the Russians .....  but well... Give me the Dutch!

The battleship designs for all of those nations would be interesting even if they are fictional hope wargaming experiments with different turret and gun layouts.

but yeah i also agree was suprised to see the russians first before the italians but oh well.:cap_book:

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
605 posts
5,329 battles
44 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

The battleship designs for all of those nations would be interesting even if they are fictional hope wargaming experiments with different turret and gun layouts.

The Dutch have 2 pre- WW1 and 2 pre-WW 2 designs ( these last 2 both based on the  Gneisenau) all paper though, the last ones where started a few months before the war broke out. 

I have no idea what the other nations have in the BB category. Especially the late era's are going to be though / very much paper designs .... but then again Russiun BB's !!:fish_viking:

The names are going to be a fun mix as well I think :)

Dutch / Polish /German names. And the Dutch have a tendency to name every 3rd ship either "de Zeven Provinciën", "De Ryuter"or one of the other couple of names that are being re-used since the beginning of the nation.

(the first name is literally "7 provinces" ... we now have 12 ... So yhea, we've been using that name for a while)

• Cool 1

[SLUG]
Players
121 posts
14,695 battles

Norway's HNoMS Stord (s-class RN destroyer, which I don't think is in the game already?) played a key role in the Battle of the North Cape, so it would be nice to see her added to any rest-of-Europe line. 

Dutch and Spanish ships - fab, yes. 

Some Italian ships in their own line would be fun.

• Cool 1

Players
357 posts
3,178 battles
On 3/18/2019 at 5:03 PM, Hummus said:

The Dutch have 2 pre- WW1 and 2 pre-WW 2 designs ( these last 2 both based on the  Gneisenau) all paper though, the last ones where started a few months before the war broke out. 

I have no idea what the other nations have in the BB category. Especially the late era's are going to be though / very much paper designs .... but then again Russiun BB's !!:fish_viking:

The names are going to be a fun mix as well I think :)

Dutch / Polish /German names. And the Dutch have a tendency to name every 3rd ship either "de Zeven Provinciën", "De Ryuter"or one of the other couple of names that are being re-used since the beginning of the nation.

(the first name is literally "7 provinces" ... we now have 12 ... So yhea, we've been using that name for a while)

I studied the Dutch ships before my hiatus, and it is very possible to make a Dutch tech tree with only a handful of paper ships in regards to cruisers and destroyers and enough leftovers for premiums. It would give us the

Battleships would be paper for Tier III-V (maybe VI) and Sikret Dokuments for anything above that.

Many other countries you want to put in the Pan-European tree have the same problem as the Dutch do and then some more - take Sweden, for example. They have Tier IX and X Destroyers very much like the Dutch, but they can just as much put the question mark to what Tier VIII they would pick. The Dutch can fill all other DD tiers pretty easily, though (Sweden has a few more holes). With Cruisers, the Dutch have to resort to paper projects for Tier IX and X, but at least Design 1047 and its associated projects are well-known enough and would provide us with the first supercruiser in the tech tree (and probably the most balanced designs of them all). Again, Tier VIII is the biggest issue, but same goes for Sweden... but they don't have any suitable ships after Tre Kronor, not even designed, and Tre Kronor is Tier VI if you're generous but probably better on Tier V (as Eendracht would have a full additional 3-gun turret in its B-hull configuration, and probably be Tier VI)... Now Tre Kronor is a ship I'd love to see in the game, but you can't really fill a Swedish tech tree with cruisers after that. And the Dutch can use the 1950 variant at least on Tier VII, maybe even on Tier VIII.

Spain has also issues; they have the Canarias-class cruisers for Tier VII and I'm pretty sure they can fill most tiers below that, and while I am completely unfamiliar with any paper projects the Spanish might have had, and they had a lot less Destroyers than the Dutch. On the other hand, they are a bit more spread out and more ships of the individual classes were built, so with some messing around with statistics you can probably fill a tech tree with them, though Tier X will be a very, very generous interpretation of the Oquendo class.

But the Spanish really don't bring anything new to a tech tree that the Dutch already do either except an actually built Battleship (but the España class BBs are just worse than the other Tier IIIs in every way with a broadside of 6 and the lowest displacement of all of them... but maybe balancing one for Tier III would make for quite a comfortable ship because its soft stats could be a lot better?). They also have their own paper BB for Tier IV, the Reina Victoria Eugenia-class, but the Dutch also had their whole slew of paper BB designs from just before the First World War. The reverse is also true however - the Dutch don't bring anything that the Spanish don't other than high tier paper projects to fill the empty cruiser slots.

BBs above Tier VI are going to be fantasy no matter what you do, though Spain considered to order a Littorio-class Battleship appearantly.

TLDR: I don't really know if there's much value in Pan-European research tree- seperate trees for the Dutch, Swedes and Spanish might be a better option. You will struggle with the Tier VIII DD and high tier Cruisers whether you make one or three tech trees and neither country has any noticeable BBs to speak of to fill a tech tree, but the Dutch have a lot of paper projects to plug the holes that the other countries seem to lack.

High tier BBs are probably going to be fantasy, so I would expect most BB designs to be premiums... but for that it wouldn't really matter if you have one or three seperate lines.

• Cool 1

[JRM]
Players
8,969 posts

Well RM silver cruisers are still slotted for this year afaik same as french dd line, concerning PanEuro tree as well as som sort of PanAmerican line :cap_like:

[-TPF-]
Players
5,149 posts
21,125 battles

Pan European Cruisers and DDs has always sounded viable to me.

Tre Kronor, btw, looks like Konigsberg - must be the turret layout - so that's a Tier V for sure - and De Ruyter very much like Nurnberg, so that's Tier VI. Java and Tromp would make decent Premiums at V and VI. 

As far as Tiers VII and VIII of the Cruiser line go, aren't there enough designs of the Eendracht/De Zeven Provincien to go around? The original version has a Pensacola-like arrangement of 10 main guns (2x2, 2x3), the 1950s version eight (4x2) but much better AA and radar, etc. A mid-point between the Soviet and US cruiser playstyles looks likely, which would be fun. 

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
10,119 battles
On 3/18/2019 at 10:26 AM, Flavio1997 said:

i'm ok with that but please, PLEASE WG, do an italian tech tree first, is getting quite ridicolous

This. The fact that the third most significant (arguably, in reality probably the second most after the RN) European fleet is missing while we get Pan Asian castoffs and misfit minor European ships is a disgrace.