You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Bear__Necessities

WG. How to teach players about ship, game and consumables mechanics

45 comments in this topic

Players
4,281 posts
14,532 battles

First thing off the bat. This is not a rant at any player or players. I need to make that crystal clear. Now, onto my point.

3 games tonight. 3 separate question from 3 separate players who didn’t know or understand what ship mechanics they had or their opponents had.

1st example. Cleveland player who honestly did not know his ship had a radar consumable. It was his first game in his new ship. Never played a T8 game in any other line. Never knew Cleveland had a radar. How had he been allowed to get to that point? It wasn’t his fault, it would be easy to blame him and call him a noob. But that would be wrong. When there was a lull mid game he asked where to find info on that. Clearly there is a gap missing in, in game communication for new players.

2nd example, T10 DM didn’t know if Asashio torps could hit him. Again, he admitted with grace that he’s still kinda new. Second T10 but has only come across an Asashio once before didn’t know about DW torps. Why would he? He doesn’t have one. Said he doesn’t play DD’s. So where in port which as far as this player ever goes does he get that info??

3rd example. Player who didn’t understand that he can be spotted on smoke when a ship gets close enough. T6 game. Again newish player. Never had anything explained to him in game about the finer points of smoke use and pros and cons.

Myself and a few player recommended CC channels on YouTube and the mechanic videos on the WG main site but they never knew or noticed they are there.

Please WG. Help the newbs. Make the links real big and real obvious. Anyone got any other suggestions to help new players find out about how the game works? 

• Cool 17

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
6,394 posts
6,780 battles

Unfortunately even making the links real big, and so obvious that even a blind man would see them doesn't change one fundamental problem with the situation here..

Some people just refuse to learn, and there is no way to force them to.

• Cool 3

[NEXT]
Players
33,139 posts
16,643 battles

The first one explains itself.

You look at the consumables of your ships. If there is a new one, you read the description.

If you ignore them, it is your fault.

I can understand the second one, but a few more encounter with such a ship and one should start to wonder what it does and look it up.

Last one should not happen, unless one was really lucky and never experienced it before.

• Cool 2

[DC_DK]
Players
3,169 posts
36,933 battles

After we get that message when other use their consumables its easy to tell who on the team which have no clue.. People wasting hydro and radar from first minute....

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Players
4,281 posts
14,532 battles
8 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

The first one explains itself.

You look at the consumables of your ships. If there is a new one, you read the description.

If you ignore them, it is your fault.

I can understand the second one, but a few more encounter with such a ship and one should start to wonder what it does and look it up.

Last one should not happen, unless one was really lucky and never experienced it before.

Last one was a new player going down the RN line. So only a few games in his new Leander. Got really confused as he didn’t understand spotting mechanics. Which at T6 I understand.

• Funny 1

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
25 minutes ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Anyone got any other suggestions to help new players find out about how the game works? 

Mandatory tutorials is the only thing which remotely could help :Smile_great:

But on the other hand: How is anyone supposed to know about Asashio DWTs? You cant tell someone "look on an external side and you will understand" - its just bad game design imo. Even if they know about regular DWTs, which still can hit Cruisers, then it wont explain Asashios DWTs...

Or even other ships which arent in the techtree (Belfast, Kutuzov...) you dont even see them that often these days. How would anyone know that Belfast has Radar by just playing the game?

You cant really force that knowledge into the player, but you could explain someone who just got a cleveland that he has radar :cap_yes:

• Cool 1

Players
1,046 posts
6,026 battles

this is what a story/campaign mode is for.

you play a single player scenario in which you have the new consumable explained and must use to beat the scenario.

this unlocks ships with this ability.

but since we dont have those, improving the gui is whats left. unfortunatly, this stuff in communicated via the minimap, which sup0r l33t players know to minimise out of the way as much as possible and ignore so they arent distracted by anything outside their tunnel of aiming skillz.

messages like "you could have seen the player/torpedo that killed sooner you if you had radar/sonar active".

• Cool 2

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,306 posts
22,286 battles

Forced tutorials with some goodies for completing them when unlocking a new class would be a good start.

Tutorials should be modeled after Operations, perhaps with a historical scenario if possible. You should WANT to play these and they'd be easily modifiable for actual multiplayer operations. They'd also serve as a substitute for a singleplayer experience. Kill three birds with one stone.

But WG has already expressed that they have no interest in making in-depth tutorials, despite stating like 1-2 years prior that such tutorials are in fact planned and the first iteration was about to launch (the statement was and probably still is on the SEA forums in a Q&A, I'd have to dig to find it).

• Cool 3

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
817 posts
4,619 battles

I have repeated this multiple times. Since most stuff confused the hell out of me when I started playing, 

TUTORIALS 

Every bloody game has them with either achievements or rewards attached to them. 

How hard is it to Implement this in a game?!?! 

@MrConway and  @Crysantos could you please address this once again to the devs. 

• Cool 7

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
48 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

But WG has already expressed that they have no interest in making in-depth tutorials, despite stating like 1-2 years prior that such tutorials are in fact planned and the first iteration was about to launch (the statement was and probably still is on the SEA forums in a Q&A, I'd have to dig to find it). 

22 minutes ago, Linkaex said:

I have repeated this multiple times. Since most stuff confused the hell out of me when I started playing, 

TUTORIALS 

Every bloody game has them with either achievements or rewards attached to them. 

How hard is it to Implement this in a game?!?! 

WG is profiting from their playerbase being dumb as bread :Smile_sad:

The more stupid the players are, the more cash they have to throw at WG...

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
817 posts
4,619 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

I beg to differ. I started throwing money at this game AFTER I knew what ships are capable off. 

• Boring 1

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
15 minutes ago, Linkaex said:

I beg to differ. I started throwing money at this game AFTER I knew what ships are capable off.

Interesting :cap_hmm:

But on the other hand, i dont think you would use doubloons to buy a B-hull for a BB because you ran out of credits :cap_haloween: (yes, ive seen this done by a streamer :cap_fainting:)

Do you buy premium ships or other stuff? Like, i dont think you HAVE to use money to maintain playing the game?

Personaly i wouldnt have to use money because im low on credits or similiar stuff. I dont have to buy premium account to get the better economy. And i think, there is the difference between good players and bad players.

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,306 posts
22,286 battles

Ah, here we go. Found it.

https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/topic/24531-asia-qa-round-1-answers/?tab=comments#comment-309470

We're working on adaptive tutorial through personal offers system. The first stage covers the basics, and hopefully, is about to launch. Then, we plan to expand it, including CV tutorial.

Dated April 26th, 2017.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

Players
1,046 posts
6,026 battles
38 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

this emotionally driven elitist stuff is more harmful to player retention and spending than anything else.

simple fact is that a 'dumb' player will lose more due to bad decisions, have less fun, thus not stay as long or spend as much.

added to that, in most situations, the simpler you make the game, the more you weigh individual ability in deciding the outcome instead of mechanics or rng.

Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

I'm not sure if this is quite relevant to the topic or no, but the 2 best ones I've seen have been to do with PA DWTs

1st was not too long after the PA lines release. Someone in chat said (and he was serious about it) that if you unlock the DD the "can't hit him" message disappears, that clearly means you can hit him now, right? :Smile_trollface:

2nd - last weekend had a YY on my team who clearly tried to torp a Shimakaze. Told him it doesn't work that way, his answer was that "he torped there just in case a cruiser was next him" (at least 2 of 3 cruisers left were unspotted, those are the only 4 survivors). Fair enough, super unlikely but why not. Like 2min later, all 3 crusiers spotted and well away from the Shima - he torps the Shima again :fish_palm: I really didn't know if I should laugh or cry at that moment :Smile_veryhappy:

Players
12,666 posts
9,841 battles
6 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

this emotionally driven elitist stuff is more harmful to player retention and spending than anything else.

simple fact is that a 'dumb' player will lose more due to bad decisions, have less fun, thus not stay as long or spend as much.

added to that, in most situations, the simpler you make the game, the more you weigh individual ability in deciding the outcome instead of mechanics or rng.

You can disagree with the way i said it, but that doesnt change the reality:

If you are a bad player, its hard (or even impossible) to get the credits needed to advance or maintain playing the game. WG made it easier to advance through the tiers, by adding better camos and signals - but most of the time, its still credits that bad players are lacking (simply because they lose credits when playing hightiers).

So they have to buy

- Premium ships

- Premium account

- Convert doubloons to Credits

- Other stuff, like permacamos

And i agree, that bad players are more likely to quit the game because of that. Thats exactly what happened to the guy i was referring to in my post above: He might have put 10-20€ on one evening into the game just to keep playing his T9 ships. Ofc they will quit the game at some point.

But id disagree with the game being "simple". WoWs is extremely complex, but the guys being around for 2-3+ years have a different view on that. They get new infos all the time, and they already know the old stuff. New players have to learn everything from scratch, and thats not easy imo. But that doesnt change, that WG rather have players who DONT know this stuff. You can see this all the time, when they keep data hidden from the playerbase (currently with all the AA mechanics - they didnt tell us, that every ship has a different interval at which the damage is applied)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[TORAZ]
Beta Tester
15,306 posts
22,286 battles
22 minutes ago, SkollUlfr said:

Oh, how I wish that were true.

If only every player I've ever told to uninstall would do so.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Players
4,281 posts
14,532 battles
Just now, El2aZeR said:

Oh, how I wish that were true.

If only every player I've ever told to uninstall would do so.

I imagine that would cause quite a drop. Hell if I add mine to the list... :Smile_trollface:

And I’m a lot less salty now than I used to be.

Players
3,672 posts
18,808 battles
43 minutes ago, El2aZeR said:

In Asian countries do they perhaps treat April 26th like we do April 1st in Europe? :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 2

Players
3,650 posts
9 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

You can disagree with the way i said it, but that doesnt change the reality:

If you are a bad player, its hard (or even impossible) to get the credits needed to advance or maintain playing the game. WG made it easier to advance through the tiers, by adding better camos and signals - but most of the time, its still credits that bad players are lacking (simply because they lose credits when playing hightiers).

So they have to buy

- Premium ships

- Premium account

- Convert doubloons to Credits

- Other stuff, like permacamos

And i agree, that bad players are more likely to quit the game because of that. Thats exactly what happened to the guy i was referring to in my post above: He might have put 10-20€ on one evening into the game just to keep playing his T9 ships. Ofc they will quit the game at some point.

But id disagree with the game being "simple". WoWs is extremely complex, but the guys being around for 2-3+ years have a different view on that. They get new infos all the time, and they already know the old stuff. New players have to learn everything from scratch, and thats not easy imo. But that doesnt change, that WG rather have players who DONT know this stuff. You can see this all the time, when they keep data hidden from the playerbase (currently with all the AA mechanics - they didnt tell us, that every ship has a different interval at which the damage is applied)

I'm not the best player, but as I have enjoyed mainly the money I have spent with  WG, I certainly am not going to quit, besides when I division up with folk, that is when the fun begins.

On topic, apart from telling someone to maybe watch a few CC vids on YouTube, and checking out the hints and tips on the start up screen i think there is not much you can do.

Players
10,893 posts
12,609 battles
7 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

I'm not the best player, but as I have enjoyed mainly the money I have spent with  WG, I certainly am not going to quit, besides when I division up with folk, that is when the fun begins.

On topic, apart from telling someone to maybe watch a few CC vids on YouTube, and checking out the hints and tips on the start up screen i think there is not much you can do.

And yet, those willing to learn somehow can find their way to the forums/reddit and ask for help. And help they usually get, provided their query doesn't fall into butthurt territory.

[PMI]
Players
2,564 posts
9,156 battles

OP seems to imply people cares and wants to learn about the game...

OP is wrong, and there is nothing WG can do about it. Its 2019, whomever is itching for knowledge, has it already, via google.

• Cool 2

[ALYEN]
Players
3,194 posts
4,508 battles
11 hours ago, DFens_666 said:

Mandatory tutorials is the only thing which remotely could help :Smile_great:

But on the other hand: How is anyone supposed to know about Asashio DWTs? You cant tell someone "look on an external side and you will understand" - its just bad game design imo. Even if they know about regular DWTs, which still can hit Cruisers, then it wont explain Asashios DWTs...

Or even other ships which arent in the techtree (Belfast, Kutuzov...) you dont even see them that often these days. How would anyone know that Belfast has Radar by just playing the game?

You cant really force that knowledge into the player, but you could explain someone who just got a cleveland that he has radar :cap_yes:

Asashio is actually a good example since it is a total exception to about every rule:

1. DW torps that are not on a PA ship

2. A special version DW torps

3. Long range low detect torps

This singularities cannot be done in tutorials as they are not part of any established rules.

Anyway, I am fine with all of the examples. Those people simply just play and don't obsess about wins etc. so much that they need to know every little detail of the game.

• Cool 1

[EST]
[EST]
Players
1,666 posts
30,495 battles

They gave up on tutorials because they knew they will change game so much and so often that 80% of work goes to keeping tutorials up to date.