You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
antean

Your Favourite CV: tier for tier

19 comments in this topic

Players
853 posts
907 battles

This particular thread includes all the CVs, even the old style CVs, which, imho, are way better than what WG offers now (so fellow WoWsers add the old & new as you see fit).

• Boring 1

Players
853 posts
907 battles

All my CVs chosen are old style. I refuse to play the new style CVs.

4. Hosho (I liked it more than Langley even tho the Langley would beat it down fighter wise) (I had one so I could call it my 'Ho' in battle chat if I wanted to, lol)

5. Zuiho (I had an extra Ijn Cpt in reserves) & Independence (prob for same reason)

6. Bogue (always ran it with a SM flag, lol & strangely enough, my only CV with a 51% + WR)

7. Ryujo  ( I preferred Ijn CVs for their damage dealing potential)

8. Graf Zeppelin (I bought it early & never changed my loadout - three DBs & the 2 Fs - three DBs, one after the other on same target can be very effective, lol)

9. Essex & Taiho (Essex - first T9 CV for historical reasons, Taiho - cause I eventually ground to it - who wouldn't want the challenge of running 7 squadrons & the ship too?)

10. never got to either

Now, unfortunately, due to FARCE CV rework, all sold. &, if the new RN CVs had been old style I would have had, at least, one of those too ……….  :etc_swear:

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Players
6,778 posts
245 battles

Tier 4. Hosho (Pre-rework) (soo much better to get away and also prefered torps over db's before the re-work).

Tier 5. Miss booooogue (First ship i played that broke the 100k damage barrier for me).

Tier 6. Ranger (Post Re-work) managed to break the 150k mark several times, i do like the ship but the lack of projectiles especially for torps is annoying.

Never got past tier 6 pre rework with the independance.

Players
9,849 posts
11,553 battles

I wonder when we will arrive at "your favourite type of a potato" at this pace:Smile_hiding:

CV wise, ancient Lexington with 0/1/3 loadout and pre rework Hiryu, despite every sign on heaven and earth pointing latter to be stinker

Post rework, obviously both T10 CVs for their expertise in salt mining operations and Shokek for being fun to boat around when not uptiered into clan wars

• Funny 3

Players
853 posts
907 battles
7 minutes ago, Panocek said:

wonder when we will arrive at "your favourite type of a potato" at this pace:Smile_hiding:

LOL. Go ahead & start one, Panocek, it is your suggestion. LOL It might become the longest ever thread. LOL. I know I could qualify. I can get quite 'fried' (sometimes). LOL

Players
9,849 posts
11,553 battles
Just now, antean said:

LOL. Go ahead & start one, Panocek, it is your suggestion. LOL It might become the longest ever thread. LOL. I know I could qualify. I can get quite 'fried' (sometimes). LOL

It would cause some confusion in this section. Some speaks about russets, agatas,  yukons and then sudden broadsidingus yamatos subtype appears

• Funny 1

Players
439 posts
5,436 battles

The low tier ones were pants but for now:

4. Hermes 

6. Ranger

8. Lexi

10. Probbaly Midway if I ever get there.

6 and 8 are useless when uptiered. Especially Lexi at T10. May as well just AFK.

Players
3,339 posts
16,096 battles

Given that CVs have never captured the imagination of the majority of players, this thread will be shorter than the CA/DD ones, and mainly populated by experts. Thus it bears close watching.

(Not a CV bod myself of course, but I hope to learn something here) :Smile_honoring:

[BHSFL]
Players
3,424 posts

Up to now Lexington proves itselfs the most deadly ( 12 x 127 mm ) when using secondary battery guns to sink damaged DD and other CV. Therefore it is my favorite. Although the Shokaku seems to have a much more protected citadel and and heavier armour belt. Both have the means to eat some torpedo's - not running but attacking so bow first - and live long enough to kill the DD. CV to CV surface battle does not include aircraft, these are shot down by the no-fly-zone AA of CV so you better have better range, ROF and accuracy secondaries then the opponent.

Such things may not hold value to most players, as they seem not to recognise the potential, or think such oppertunies are too rare...but they can be vital in end games where only CV or a heavy damaged DD remain and that happens more often then some think. Few players understand that most CV's outgun a DD two to three times, and these secondary batteries can sink another CV all on their own if you can bring them in range.  If you have invested in secondary batttery ROF, range and accuracy it will pay off in such cases.

But the hardware needs to be there.....the lexington seems best suited for what i have experienced. T6 CV often have to do with 6x 127 mm, still good for sinking DD but 12x  is better :-))

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,780 posts
19,466 battles

T4: Langley (old) - Getting air superiority by default was always funny. Gotta love glorious WG loadout balans.

T5: Bogue (old, 1/0/1) - has always been the superior option imo. Given necessary skill could even tangle effectively with 2/1/0 Bogue.

T6: Independence (old, 1/1/1) - Honestly both options were only decent when top tier. Being T6 this was a massive entry hurdle. Still, I liked Indy better than Ryujo.

T7: Saipan (2/0/2) - Laughably overpowered after strafing out was added. No contest here.

T8: Enterprise (old and new) - Come on, are you even surprised?

T9: Taiho (2/3/2) - No contest here either, Taiho remained the superior option even after Essex finally got a halfway decent loadout

T10: Midway (new, Tiny Tims) - Hilariously more powerful than her predecessor or RTS Haku, but necessarily so because the rework is fundamentally broken

Players
3,220 posts
Just now, El2aZeR said:

T4: Langley (old) - Getting air superiority by default was always funny. Gotta love glorious WG loadout balans.

T5: Bogue (old, 1/0/1) - has always been the superior option imo. Given necessary skill could even tangle effectively with 2/1/0 Bogue.

T6: Independence (old, 1/1/1) - Honestly both options were only decent when top tier. Being T6 this was a massive entry hurdle. Still, I liked Indy better than Ryujo.

T7: Saipan (2/0/2) - Laughably overpowered after strafing out was added. No contest here.

T8: Enterprise (old and new) - Come on, are you even surprised?

T9: Taiho (2/3/2) - No contest here either, Taiho remained the superior option even after Essex finally got a halfway decent loadout

T10: Midway (rework, Tiny Tims) - Hilariously more powerful than her predecessor or RTS Haku, but necessarily so because the rework is fundamentally broken

Still confused as to why WG took my Saipan off me,, I'm sure I had it, but no, only the captain remains

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,780 posts
19,466 battles
11 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Still confused as to why WG took my Saipan off me,, I'm sure I had it, but no, only the captain remains

She's T8 nowadays.

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,780 posts
19,466 battles
2 minutes ago, NoobySkooby said:

Ok, but it is still gone

Might wanna contact support then. Premium ships can be restored if you have the resources available in port but there is a "cooldown" of I think it was 6 months.

Players
1,245 posts
9,282 battles

This is difficult, because I actually really like the CV rework. And I've felt WG's been pretty successful with making the different national lines distinct and interesting.

T4: Hosho (old) -- I dislike the rework CV's at T4. The gameplay is so slow.

T6: Ranger (new) -- but I like the Ryujo fine for TB-focused action, and the Furious with the changes currently under testing might become my favourite.

T8: Lexington (new) -- but I also really like the Implacable, Saipan, Enteprise, and following the latest hotfix, also the Shokaku.

T10: (only tried the Midway)

Players
1,678 posts
13,635 battles

before rework:

T4 Langley (before they removed manual attacks)

T5 Zuiho (before they removed manual attacks)

T6 Ryujo 1-2-2

T7 Kaga and Saipan, both had their moments

T8 Lexington 0-1-3 back when CVs didn't have defensive fire, Enterprise later

T9 Taiho

T10 Midway (probably weaker than Hakuryu but much easier to handle)

after rework:

none

[OCTO]
Players
1,183 posts
25,540 battles
On 3/17/2019 at 6:09 PM, Panocek said:

I wonder when we will arrive at "your favourite type of a potato" at this pace:Smile_hiding:

That is an easy one! 

The correct answer is "weekend potato on enemy team"