Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
gustywinds

Key Mapping

6 comments in this topic

Players
345 posts

Am I missing something or is ther no way of remapping keys in WOWS?

Things that bug me:

• I know this one will be controversial but I much prefer using arrow key than WASD. 
  • Having different key do different things on different ship - sometime's Smoke is U, sometimes T. Sometimes Speed boost is Y buy sometime that is something elee. There are lots of keys, why not make them consistent? 
  • Lastly and only because it is new in the CV revamp - it is so easy to hit F instead of D and sedn your planes home instead of doing a bit of a turn 

Anybody else?

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,441 posts
13,192 battles

We have asked for either key standardization OR key remapping for ages, however the topic does not seem to be high on WG's agenda.

[TOWAR]
[TOWAR]
1,788 posts
6,383 battles

Hello OP,

remapping your key bindings is possible inside the ingame settings / controls menu,

With some technical limitations which I am suffering myself from them and asked about. (they said they are working on it to identify the reason but its not on their priority list)

As I've said, you can remap all your keys,

instead of right and left mouse buttons. They are only interchangeable in between them.

You can remap them in preferences.xml file manually, but whenever you open settings screens, even If you don't touch anything, you get e reset for them.

On the other hand, even though you can remap any key except 2,

you cannot assing specific keys to specific consumables,
consumable keys are mapped into consumable slots, and your problem is coming from different ships having same consumable in different slot.

I.E. you 3 key always activates the consumable on second slot.. whatever it is,
in one ship, it is smoke, in another, it is engine boost, in another it is heal.. :)

• Cool 1

[DAVY]
Players
2,536 posts
40 minutes ago, gustywinds said:

Things that bug me:

• I know this one will be controversial but I much prefer using arrow key than WASD. 
  • Having different key do different things on different ship - sometime's Smoke is U, sometimes T. Sometimes Speed boost is Y buy sometime that is something elee. There are lots of keys, why not make them consistent? 
  • Lastly and only because it is new in the CV revamp - it is so easy to hit F instead of D and sedn your planes home instead of doing a bit of a turn 

Anybody else?

I use arrow keys instead of WASD being a lefty, and a few other key changes to make them nearer my right hand. All done in game settings. I also have a 12 thumb button mouse so guns and consumables are mapped to there.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,508 posts
11,466 battles
1 hour ago, gustywinds said:

Things that bug me:

Anybody else?

As for remapping itself, it's possible in the settings (see @Excavatus's post).

As for the mapping of consumables... I can answer to the "why not make them consistent" question. It boils down to the fact that there are many different combinations of consumables. Imagine that we assign consistent keys:

Speed boost - always T

Smoke - always Y

Torpedo reload - always U

Akizuki would then have consumables under keys T,Y,U

But a Kagero with torpedo reload would have only T and U consumables with Y left empty. Of course you could swap smoke and torpedo reload keys but if you did THAT then you'd end up with Smoke Kagero (and other non-TRB DDs) lacking the Y consumable instead - so you're not solving any problems (rather making it worse). And these are just two ships of the same class and nation. Once you add other classes with their myriad of consumable configurations, you'd find yourself running out of keys on the RTYUIOP line and some ships would have gaping holes between their relevant consumable keys.

This is why consistent consumable->key mapping is not possible. What could (and should, and has been repeatedly requested) happen is the ability to swap consumables between slots for every ship. So, if you have an Akizuki with DCP, Smoke, Engine Boost and TRB, you could just drag-and-drop which one goes where, allowing an

slot1 (default R) DCP

slot2 (default T) Smoke

slot3 (default Y) Engine Boost

slot4 (default U) Torpedo Reload Booster

slot5 (default I) N/A

but also, if it suited you better and was more consistent with your preferred arrangement for other ships

slot1 (default R) DCP

slot2 (default T) Engine Boost

slot3 (default Y) Torpedo Reload Booster

slot4 (default U) N/A

slot5 (default I) Smoke

Hopefully we'll see something like this one day. So far WG doesn't seem enthusiastic about committing any resources to development of this much needed UI improvement, however :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[TOWAR]
[TOWAR]
1,788 posts
6,383 battles

^^

This..

The only thing we need is,

fixed consumable slots,

and an exact copy of module mounting system.

clicking on an empty consumable slot and pick a consumable from dropdown menu and select premium or not on the side menu of that selected consumable.

I believe this should be easy.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this