sampford

Clan Battles with CVs

9 comments in this topic

[T-M-F]
Players
2 posts
12,812 battles

Clan Battles are great - we play as a proper team with audio comms amongst our team members.

It has helped me improve my playing skills by leaps and bounds.

...  but ...

The latest season of Clan Battles has the new CVs taking part in clans, meaning that a clan With a CV might be battling against an opposition clan which might not have a CV.

This gives a massive advantage to the clan with the CV.

I understand that the obvious logic would dictate that All Clans should have a CV in Every battle to ensure they are competitive.

But this is not always possible, and so many Clan Battles are one-sided, and many of your loyal supporters and paying customers are demoralised.

Please set a clan selection feature, for example so that at lower levels of Clan Battles, CVs do not play, but perhaps at the higher levels CVs may be chosen.

This means that Clans may not progress beyond a certain level if they do not have CV skills, but can still enjoy the battles at lower levels.

If you do not do something like this, you will lose many customers.

Thanks

Tim Hugill in England.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,229 posts
6,324 battles

Hello Tim,

You could also try to see it as the next goal for your clan! Try to find a carrier player, or perhaps there is a "true one" already in the clan.
Perhaps as noticed the CV rework is a bit messy and the current clan battles are simply a test.

So you have some time left :)

Good luck!

• Cool 1

[BYOB]
[BYOB]
Players
4,465 posts
19,605 battles
16 hours ago, sampford said:

This gives a massive advantage to the clan with the CV.

We have tested heavy AA setups without a CV. When matched against an enemy team of more or less equal level (Top Storm/Bottom Typhoon) we always won.

CVs offer an advantage in spotting plus they make ships that mostly remain stationary, like Moskva and Stalingrad, obsolete. I played a mobile Des Moines and had a blast yesterday.

4 hours ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

You could also try to see it as the next goal for your clan! Try to find a carrier player, or perhaps there is a "true one" already in the clan.

And if they find none? CBs are already unpopular, with the vast and overwhelming majority of clans not bothering with them. With this move WG might make the mode even more unappealing for clans outside the Hurricane/Typhoon bracket.

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,229 posts
6,324 battles
8 hours ago, Aragathor said:

And if they find none? CBs are already unpopular, with the vast and overwhelming majority of clans not bothering with them. With this move WG might make the mode even more unappealing for clans outside the Hurricane/Typhoon bracket.

TBH I think that the Google Chrome dinosaur game has more gameplay than the current CVs.

I still have some hopes up of WG adding some gameplay that requires skill for cvs...

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,373 posts

CV has it's counter in powerful AA cruisers and facing a CV all ships should sail in formations that cover each other under overlapping  AA umbrella's. Doing that you shut a CV down, then it is dead weight to the enemy team. 

I did not say lemmingtrain.....formations can be 3-4 ships also. It is more powerfull moving and shooting  together with combined power anyway. It is not for nothing IRL navies do that too, protecting their most capital ships with smaller AA or anti-torpedo boat screens on the outside of the formation .

DD can be somewhat foreward of such formation as eyes of this formation, but not too far out so it can speed back for protection/combined firepower.

I have full confidence you don't need CV's if you have proper counter ( AA) ships and tactics that prevent ships sailing alone and vulnerable  to attack.

• Cool 1

[ASEET]
[ASEET]
Alpha Tester
282 posts
17,270 battles
On 3/16/2019 at 3:21 AM, Beastofwar said:

CV has it's counter in powerful AA cruisers and facing a CV all ships should sail in formations that cover each other under overlapping  AA umbrella's. Doing that you shut a CV down, then it is dead weight to the enemy team. 

I did not say lemmingtrain.....formations can be 3-4 ships also. It is more powerfull moving and shooting  together with combined power anyway. It is not for nothing IRL navies do that too, protecting their most capital ships with smaller AA or anti-torpedo boat screens on the outside of the formation .

DD can be somewhat foreward of such formation as eyes of this formation, but not too far out so it can speed back for protection/combined firepower.

I have full confidence you don't need CV's if you have proper counter ( AA) ships and tactics that prevent ships sailing alone and vulnerable  to attack.

Two key points underlined.

It is not simply about "can carrier be dealt with", but how it affects battle in general.

1. Being forced to pick AA ships reduces usable pool of ships that can be picked. Being forced to pick AA ships reduces builds you can use on captain and upgrades.

2. Being forced to pick tactics against carrier means mostly that you have one or two blobs of ships. Say good buy to creative positioning and flanking. Say good buy to getting low health ships out of detection range and to safety for heals or shooting from behind island unseen. Say good buy to vanishing from spot and letting caps do the winning.

People will generate ways to handle carriers, in one way or another. I'm sure people would find ways to cope if teams were allowed to take 7 BB's or if clan battles would be restricted to full DD lineups. It still doesn't mean it would be (as) fun (as previous clan battle without CV).

Having carrier in clan battles blocks out a lot, and I mean A LOT, of possible tactics and setups. Whole vision game will be diminished.

• Cool 3

Weekend Tester
857 posts

All it means is that people will have  to rethink how their going to play the game, but yes one side having a carrier and the other  not is a big advantage, we were doing the regional cb's last night and for some reaon the ru  teams had no cv's  the first time we came accros a cv was when we played another eu clan

[OCTO]
Players
1,182 posts
25,423 battles

We played a few battles (for all my sins - although I hate CV rework, I had to play Midway) and we have seen the following:

1. Virtually no DDs. DDs have lost their role

2. Blobbing and lemming train to one side

3. Mainly AA cruisers

4. Hiding behind islands is mainly thing of the past

All in all, I really think that there is no place for CVs in CB - it limits tactical options, imho

• Cool 1

[OP-B]
[OP-B]
Players
47 posts
9,121 battles
On 3/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, Zen71_sniper said:

We played a few battles (for all my sins - although I hate CV rework, I had to play Midway) and we have seen the following:

1. Virtually no DDs. DDs have lost their role

2. Blobbing and lemming train to one side

3. Mainly AA cruisers

4. Hiding behind islands is mainly thing of the past

All in all, I really think that there is no place for CVs in CB - it limits tactical options, imho

I agree with the first three, the fourth is still there. It just isn't hiding anymore but cowering.

Add to that the difficulty of finding a (good) cv player (because you're at a huge disadvantage at not having one). And Clan Battles will become a lot less attractive for many people and clans.

I cannot see it any other way then that 7vs7 is just to small for a carrier.

• Cool 1