You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Puffin_

Friedrich der Große worth it?

31 comments in this topic

[HAMAR]
Players
355 posts

Hello

I have researched Friedrich der Große but I am hesitate to buy that ship.

I would like to use my secondary build captain which I use on Tirpitz and Scharnhorst 

But is secondary build Friedrich der Große a good idea at T9?

He seems to be big and clumsy and rather boring ship if I may say so.

Would I be better of just stopping the German BB line grind right there and choose some other nation BB line to goo further than T8?

What would you recommend.

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

It's not a bad ship, especially when upgraded. Buy there are better at tier 9.

However, I liked my FdG, and I used secondary build on her while grinding for GK. It's fun.

• Cool 2

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,020 battles

I would say its a crap bismark/kurfurst hybrid

it has to be played and completed though if you want a gk or get a shed load of free xp spent

• Cool 1

Players
2,192 posts
20,367 battles
Vor 16 Stunden, GudmundurG sagte:

It all very much depends on what you want.

At the time, my Bismarck commander was one of only a few maxed-out captains I had. So I bought and played FdG mainly in order not to freeze more XP on Bismarck while keeping to generate Elite commander XP. I just didn't want to blow the best camos and special signals on a grind with a ship where the extra ship XP they gave me was basically going to waste, even though at the time I neither wanted FdG nor Kurfürst, both of which I thought were too clumsy and boring. Also general aversion against high tier gameplay.

Playing FdG, I did not learn a great deal except to hate HE spammers even more, but the Kurfürst turned out to be a really nice ship for clan battles. However, there is only a single spot for BBs in CBs and I don't get to play it often. Still have no interest in playing it in Randoms, only used FdG in Ranked a single time to try out the buffed Secondaries. But it did give me a yuge chunk of commander XP, especially since I bought a fair bit of Satan lootboxes which in turn yielded a ton of special signals and NY Streamer camos.

• Cool 1

[HAMAR]
Players
355 posts
5 minutes ago, Nautical_Metaphor said:

At the time, my Bismarck commander was one of only a few maxed-out captains I had. So I bought and played FdG mainly in order not to freeze more XP on Bismarck while keeping to generate Elite commander XP.

My German secondary build captain is at 18 points now. I want to generate Elite commander XP.

Players
2,192 posts
20,367 battles
Vor 22 Minuten, GudmundurG sagte:

My German secondary build captain is at 18 points now. I want to generate Elite commander XP.

Well, you just need another 300K or less to max him out.

Regarding the secondary build, that's not really the most viable option in the high tiers these days. But when the next patch is launched, we get another free commander skill point redistribution and commander retraining period. So you could put all that on the back burner for now and rebuild him then at no cost, and postpone buying the FdG until then, so you can transfer the guy for free. And keep playing Bismarck in the mean time, or do something else entirely.

Think through all the options, estimate all the costs and figure out which combination of expenditure and benefits is the most appealing.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,556 posts
8,858 battles

I didnt like FDG back then, but it got buffed now. Personaly, i wouldnt play secondary build. Ive abandoned it on my GK aswell - works much better with BOS and FP. You can just laugh about fires then. And you can laugh about all AP aswell, since not even Yamato can overmatch your bow (or actually can, but its super unlikely).

And now that flood duration got nerfed, made BoS even more viable. With the anti-flooding flag, you get super low flooding time and can ignore that aswell (if you feel like it)

Overall tho GK is actually good on T10. Better than Bismarck and FDG because you got 12 guns. Its enough crap flying around that something will stick :cap_haloween:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
915 posts
9,211 battles

If you want a Bismark at tier 9 with slightly bigger guns, go for it.

But considering how easy it has been for me to kill them even after the "buff", I would put it in the same category as the Izumo. Avoid or skip.

• Cool 1

[TTT]
Players
2,098 posts
21,164 battles

FdG teaches you how to push in, retreat, heal and repeat. Firing angles are bad but neglecting your back guns is bad as well. If you learn how to be effective with this ship and not lose much HP doing it you will have a much easier time with the GK.

I used full tank build. The 406s hit harder than the Bismarck, I preferred to go for slightly angled cruisers and BBs. You can farm overpen ribbons on full broadside cruisers though sometimes there is a surprise citadel. I'm talking about close range, at mid and long range the dispersion is rage-inducing.

Tank build works well for GK, full IFHE secondary build is more fun.

115k secondaries + fires:

Spoiler

shot-19_01.13_02_09.28-0298.thumb.jpg.f37413ff5ba43c0c4ede44118a033aef.jpgshot-19_01.13_02_09.37-0964.thumb.jpg.09a58f602de38204f72d3c58a63cee6c.jpg

shot-19_01.13_02_10.05-0000.thumb.jpg.b9e7c04db8dd3002d0905a746eadefd4.jpg

• Cool 3

[JRM]
Players
6,322 posts
24,210 battles

Well history/collecor wise she was included as a plan for developement (ie up gunning of bismarck class) so for KM fans might be worth to keep so they can have them all, playwise she is a linear upgrade from the bismarck in hp armor and guns but pays with sluggishness (as is the case with most t9s in relation with their predeccesors) has thick brawling plate similar to t10 so she can take some and gove some back but keeper at t9 that is not premium is questinable since you will pretty much always end up in t10 matches and those are also consistently stronger and have t10 super permacamo option to boot that ie makes them behave like a t8 peemium income wise...

[FAILS]
Players
519 posts
19,329 battles
27 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Well history/collecor wise she was included as a plan for developement (ie up gunning of bismarck class) so for KM fans might be worth to keep so they can have them all, playwise she is a linear upgrade from the bismarck in hp armor and guns but pays with sluggishness (as is the case with most t9s in relation with their predeccesors) has thick brawling plate similar to t10 so she can take some and gove some back but keeper at t9 that is not premium is questinable since you will pretty much always end up in t10 matches and those are also consistently stronger and have t10 super permacamo option to boot that ie makes them behave like a t8 peemium income wise...

I believe two H-39 battleships (which FdG pretty much is) were actually laid down and construction started, so in historical terms she is one step up from paper.

Gameplay-wise, I agree with Yedwy. Theoretically she should be a straight up upgrade from the Bismarck. However, she is far more sluggish than Bismarck and meta also doesn't really favour her (or any brawlers). To me, the guns feel even more inaccurate than Bismarck's. After the buffs to reload and secondaries she is not quite as terrible as before.

I have mine specced for secondaries, just for fun (with IFHE). A tank build is far more effective, but for that there are other BBs at t9 that do that role better. FdG's biggest weakness, imo, are her terrible gun angles. If you can fire all your guns on a target then you expose enough to eat 5-digit pen damage and due to her sluggishness, you can't wiggle quickly back into safer angles. I'd gladly trade a bit of reload for better gun angles. She is also big and easy to hit and has quite a bit of superstructure to hit for cruisers and DDs.

Otherwise she is pretty resilient, thanks to good armour (less HE pen damage, once your superstructure is saturated) and large health pool. Still after the buffs to Izumo, FdG is probably the weakest t9 BB, unfortunately.

[ROT8]
Beta Tester
170 posts
10,265 battles

works fine as a secondarie BB, also works fine with full on tank build. its just like with the bis and tirp. Crap at long range, hilarously fun close up against a single target :)

[FJAKA]
Players
2,975 posts
477 battles
15 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

Hello

I would like to use my secondary build captain which I use on Tirpitz and Scharnhorst 

Would I be better of just stopping the German BB line grind right there and choose some other nation BB line to goo further than T8?

worst t9 ship of all classes, tX KM BBs in my opinion is the worst tX bb

• Cool 1

[WGP2W]
Beta Tester
1,236 posts
6,378 battles

She can be pretty boring to play when MM spawns you on the wrong side of the map, since she pretty much excels at pushing with the main force. I have had plenty games where I had to run away for 5-10 minutes so that I could reposition myself for a push. Those games were a bit boring, but it was fun to get back into the game after that time and pushing inside the flank of the enemy force :)

In her current state she is just as good as the other tier 9s. 

I went with survivability / secondary build and the 406mm guns.
Captain skills:
1 point: PT, EL
2 point: JoaT
3 point: SI
4 point: AFT, Manual Sec and FP

Ship upgrades:
1. Aux arm mod 1

2. DCSM 1

3. ASM 1

4. DCSM 2

5. CSM 1

6. MBM 3 (23 second reload on 406mm guns is pretty epic)

• Cool 1

[TSSU]
Players
150 posts

Maybe I should re-buy her and try again? (reading the below post, I won't :D )

I did the grind through the FdG and it was only in my last 3-4 games before I could research/buy the GK that I had some fantastic matches in it. Until then it was painful... it was a secondary build, but with old fashioned carriers it was often their punchbag as it was slow, turned terribly, and had poor AA. 

HOWEVER, the GK is definitely worth it though - so stick with. Secondary build on GK is viable, but I switched to tank build instead. Building up a second 19 point Captain to be able to switch them round. 

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
278 posts

17 hours ago, GudmundurG said:

Hello

It's the only ship where I used the final 25k free exp to unlock the next ship (usually I only use free exp to unlock the better modules) and rage sold it, because I just couldnt stand it anymore. Given, that was "pre buff", but what made me rage sell it were it's horrible, horrible guns, and they didnt change.

This ship is the definition of "it couldnt hit a barn, even from the inside". I remember a game, in which I missed a Des Moines from 3.5 km completely...two times (2 salvos). It only purpose is to make the grind to the T10 unbareable and to male you burn your free exp, even when fully upgraded.

The pre buff baltimore grind was hard...but the Friedrich der Große is a whole different level. It's an M3 Lee (a lvl 4 medium tank it WoT that was known as the worst tank in the game and 90% of players skip it with free exp if they can...but it's only T4), but on T9! 

I dont regret selling it...I'm sure it's one of the worst ships in game for it's tier and in general.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,750 posts
10,252 battles
21 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

She can be pretty boring to play when MM spawns you on the wrong side of the map, since she pretty much excels at pushing with the main force. I have had plenty games where I had to run away for 5-10 minutes so that I could reposition myself for a push. Those games were a bit boring, but it was fun to get back into the game after that time and pushing inside the flank of the enemy force :)

In her current state she is just as good as the other tier 9s. 

I went with survivability / secondary build and the 406mm guns.
Captain skills:
1 point: PT, EL
2 point: JoaT
3 point: SI
4 point: AFT, Manual Sec and FP

Ship upgrades:
1. Aux arm mod 1

2. DCSM 1

3. ASM 1

4. DCSM 2

5. CSM 1

6. MBM 3 (23 second reload on 406mm guns is pretty epic)

I don't recommend the 406mm guns though..

Because the difference between the 420 and 406mm guns is, the ability to pen the bows of tier 10 cruisers or not...

a 406mm gunned FDG is helples against a bowtanking Desmo,

a 420mm gunned FDG on the other hand is.. ehehehehe..

I tried them both..

27,5 reload on big guns.. are completely ok!

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,556 posts
8,858 battles
3 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Because the difference between the 420 and 406mm guns is, the ability to pen the bows of tier 10 cruisers or not...

I tried them both..

406mm is enough to pen 27mm bow plating :Smile-_tongue:

On the other hand, 420mm cant pen 30mm either... thats why id go with the smaller ones. Imo the gain is way too little (bit better pen and damage) to offset the slower reload.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,750 posts
10,252 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

406mm is enough to pen 27mm bow plating :Smile-_tongue:

On the other hand, 420mm cant pen 30mm either... thats why id go with the smaller ones. Imo the gain is way too little (bit better pen and damage) to offset the slower reload.

Sorry my mistake,

I was trying to say overmatch,

while 406 cannot overmatch 27mm, (has 27,8mm  treshold, needs 28)
420 can, with 28,76mm treshold...

As far as I know..

Players
3,310 posts
14,063 battles
10 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

I tried them both..

I prefer the smaller calibre myself. Less guns means that I would rarther pump out more salvos. With adrenaline rush that reload gets pretty god damn good. Especially if you stagger you’re fire. Firing one set then holding till an enemy turn and then firing another is a great trick in the FDG. You’re never not a threat to something. You may only land 1 shell out of 4 if you stagger but it will hurt over time, and catch players off guard who think it’s safe to turn. 

I really like like and enjoyed the KM BB line from T5 and up and got great results. But I’m a dirty snobby elitist after all :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 2

[SHAFT]
Players
9,556 posts
8,858 battles
3 minutes ago, Excavatus said:

Sorry my mistake,

I was trying to say overmatch,

while 406 cannot overmatch 27mm, (has 27,8mm  treshold, needs 28)
420 can, with 28,76mm treshold...

As far as I know..

No, thats only for HE. (i actually wrote Pen, but i meant overmatch too)

f.e. Yamato has 460/14,3 = 32,16 -> rounded 32, and we all know Yamato can overmatch 32mm plating.

I play GK with the smaller caliber guns too, and i can guarantee you they have no probs overmatching DMs :Smile_Default:

[NWP]
Beta Tester
1,767 posts
16,610 battles

I do consider the FdG the last true BB of the KM line.

GK probably is the better ship (and even by a large margin), however the GK experience is not consistent with the experience from Bayern to FdG. While FdG can still be considered a "super" Bismarck, even with all the differences and disadvantages due to the increase in tiers, the abomination that is named GK plays entirely different than FdG (even worse gun angles, even worse maneuverability, even worse meta).

When I play FdG I usually use endurance oder generalist builds.

[THESO]
[THESO]
3,750 posts
10,252 battles
1 minute ago, DFens_666 said:

No, thats only for HE. (i actually wrote Pen, but i meant overmatch too)

f.e. Yamato has 460/14,3 = 32,16 -> rounded 32, and we all know Yamato can overmatch 32mm plating.

I play GK with the smaller caliber guns too, and i can guarantee you they have no probs overmatching DMs :Smile_Default:

wan't that 14,6???

I used 14,6 for my calculations..

Clearly brain.exe had a memory leak..

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2