199 comments in this topic

[W-C]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,488 posts
6,713 battles

Sort of...they're not the best, but they're not the worst either. They are very fast and relatively squishy, but they have quite decent guns, fast turret traverse and long range torpedoes. For your first cruiser line I'd recommend either US or Japanese as they don't have any gimmicks, but frenchies aren't a particularly wrong choice either.

• Cool 2

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
903 posts
4,163 battles

Pretty good line for beginners. Good cruisers with good guns. Used to recommend IJN, but MN is a bit easier to play nowadays.

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,565 posts
6,266 battles

Well kind of. From tier 5 they are fast if you use your speed boost correctly otherwise they are sometimes sluggish or nothing special. For gunpower they are somewhere in between the IJN and US cruisers with pretty comfortable gunnery overall. Decent torps are a nice complement, and the gimmicky reload booster starting from tier 8 can really push out some nice damage.

But as domen says the Japanese or US line is often a better starting point as they rely purely on good old fashion gun-armor-stealth combo without any gimmicks (apart from radar).

• Cool 1

Players
80 posts
358 battles

Would you recommend USN cruisers over IJN? because I like decent survivability and decent guns but I'm not too focused on torps

Thanks

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles

Even if your cruiser has torps it's never your primary weapon. It's there just for the rare unlikely chance when it might be useful, or for flushing smoke. Yoloing to torp someone will just result in you dying a lot without any good reason behind it

US cruisers have a completely different playstyle to the IJN / MN ones. Also might be argued that they're harder to hit with due to their high arcs / slow shells, but that allows you to use cover (islands) more effectively

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
5 minutes ago, twoCannonsLess said:

Thanks, I might try US cruisers

Is the Pensacola the heavy cruiser line?

Yes, that's where the split starts

"Heavy / Light" refers to cruisers guns, not anything else. 203mm and larger guns are heavy cruisers, smaller (usually around 152mm) are light cruisers

• Cool 1

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
903 posts
4,163 battles
4 minutes ago, twoCannonsLess said:

Thanks, I might try US cruisers

Is the Pensacola the heavy cruiser line?

Some say US is more traditional, but they are just darn hard to play right. IJN is easier. MN is similar to IJN, but MN has some extra gimmicks which eases it down a bit more. 

Some think you need to learn it the hard way, I’d say pick the gimmick line and have fun. 

Yes, Pepsi is the CA (heavy cruiser) line. 

• Cool 2

Players
80 posts
358 battles
2 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

Some say US is more traditional, but they are just darn hard to play right. IJN is easier. MN is similar to IJN, but MN has some extra gimmicks which eases it down a bit more. 

Some think you need to learn it the hard way, I’d say pick the gimmick line and have fun. 

Thanks, I don't really know which one to choose. Are IJN guns decent compared to USN guns?

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
4,945 posts
7,181 battles
5 minutes ago, twoCannonsLess said:

Thanks, I don't really know which one to choose. Are IJN guns decent compared to USN guns?

Much higher reload, but at the same time significantly increased (HE) alpha (dmg) and accuracy

• Cool 1

[-RM-]
Beta Tester
1,565 posts
6,266 battles
10 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

I'm not convinced the gimmicks of the MN line makes it easier per se. As far as gimmicks go, the speed boost in particular is just not that great, and I would much rather the Frenchies had slightly higher base speed instead of relying on a gimmick to go sonic fast for 3 minutes. Reload booster is a neat idea, but again, much rather have a good to decent base reload instead.

So in that sense the IJN line is more comfortable. Good stealth overall, some nice armor on tier 5-7 and arguably 10 and really nice guns. But I don't disagree that the French line is bad for a new player.

[KURLA]
Players
920 posts
17,679 battles
24 minutes ago, twoCannonsLess said:

Are USN lines very difficult to play or is it something I will learn whilst playing them?

A bit more difficult than other lines but not significantly.

The difference mostly comes from the fact that USN cruisers benefit more from the use of cover than most other lines and lack torpedoes as a last ditch weapon.

As with all lines it's something you'll grow into though and unlike some not a line that needs you to already be knowledgeable to make it work.

• Cool 1

Players
80 posts
358 battles
14 minutes ago, rnat said:

A bit more difficult than other lines but not significantly.

The difference mostly comes from the fact that USN cruisers benefit more from the use of cover than most other lines and lack torpedoes as a last ditch weapon.

As with all lines it's something you'll grow into though and unlike some not a line that needs you to already be knowledgeable to make it work.

Thanks, I will probably go down that line since I think that it will actually be a good thing to learn how to use cover properly.

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,775 battles

For Clarity if there is somebody reading asking "MN? What are MN Cruisers?"

MN short for "Marine Nationale" - or in other words "French Navy"

Edited by Cambera_1
Fixing typo
  • Cool 3

Players
5,290 posts
6,406 battles
8 hours ago, domen3 said:

Sort of...they're not the best, but they're not the worst either. They are very fast and relatively squishy, but they have quite decent guns, fast turret traverse and long range torpedoes. For your first cruiser line I'd recommend either US or Japanese as they don't have any gimmicks, but frenchies aren't a particularly wrong choice either.

Radar? USN CA pen angles? Stealth torp? IJN accuracy? Just because it isn't all packed into consumables doesn't mean these lines are normal. Unlike BBs, where USN/IJN really are the most no-nonsense ships, cruiser-wise there are a greater number of differences. I'd even call Germans more down-to-earth than these two (or three if you count USN line split).

French cruisers are an ok line. They got speed boost and main battery reload booster later on, but frankly, they still very much stay in line with cruisers. I'd say for beginners they are fine, not necessarily much more or less suitable than the German, American or Japanese lines. Soviets I don't recommend as starter due to the maneuverability issues, British because they are the most gimmicky line of ships there is. Alternatively, play all the lines up to T5 and then see what you found fun. In these lower tiers buying the ships is affordable, you see a few different playstyles (though they differentiate more later) and frankly, except for the British, I'd call them all decent investments for a first line you can grind to T10 (British exception is because Minotaur is a good ship, but least standard and least appreciated in formats like clan battles. It pays off having learned game basics before committing to that line).

• Cool 2

[OP-B]
Beta Tester
903 posts
4,163 battles
14 hours ago, twoCannonsLess said:

Thanks, I will probably go down that line since I think that it will actually be a good thing to learn how to use cover properly.

You will learn this skill with any ship.
Good luck and have fun! :D

[SM0KE]
Players
3,067 posts
7,531 battles
On 3/14/2019 at 2:17 PM, twoCannonsLess said:

Are USN lines very difficult to play or is it something I will learn whilst playing them?

I find the US cruisers harder to play than the IJN, mainly because they are entirely reliant on guns; that said, I struggle with almost all cruisers - more or less the entire category isn't easy mode, mainly due to the combination of being squishy, and there being lots of BBs out there, all of whom will be very keen to interfere with your citadel.

On the up-side, the US cruisers pretty much all have powerful AA, if you run into a CV, and their guns are excellent. I personally like having the torp option available though (you get 10 km range on the IJN cruisers from T5), even if it's sometimes spectacularly obvious when you're firing them (the mainly rearward arcs mean you give the game away by turning to unmask them, although that's not really a problem when kiting).

At the time of writing, you're only showing 32 battles; I would suggest having a go with as many different cruiser lines as possible, and just seeing which you like - your only limitation is port slots, and most of the low tier options are pretty inexpensive (also try other classes as well - you'll get a better handle on what they're trying to do to you at the very least)...

• Cool 1

Players
80 posts
358 battles

Thanks,

Are British bbs any good for beginners?

Do they teach anything worth learning?

I'm asking this because I used invite a friend code and it says when I get a t6 ship I get the warspite

Thanks

[KURLA]
Players
920 posts
17,679 battles
1 hour ago, twoCannonsLess said:

Are British bbs any good for beginners?

Do they teach anything worth learning?

I'm asking this because I used invite a friend code and it says when I get a t6 ship I get the warspite

The low tier British BBs can get by almost exclusively using HE, which is a bad lesson.

The QE at t6 is a more classic, AP focused BB. The Warspite is along those lines as well,

in fact it's better to not think of her as a "typical" British BB, since her guns are way more accurate and powerful for their caliber than the usual British ones.

She promotes classic BB game play with her mediocre speed, in-tier armor and strong AP.

Players
80 posts
358 battles

Are KM cruisers good for beginners?

Edit: Nevermind, I finally chosen the IJN cruiser line

Thanks

Edited by twoCannonsLess

[UTW]
Weekend Tester, In AlfaTesters
8,524 posts
6,992 battles
2 hours ago, twoCannonsLess said:

Are KM cruisers good for beginners?

Hindenburg is a good tier 10 for beginners at this tier at least.

• Cool 1