You need to play a total of 1 battles to post in this section.
The_EURL_Guy

Armada: HMS Exeter

32 comments in this topic

[1TE]
[1TE]
Players
3 posts
7,250 battles

I can not say that im impressed with this ship,  and dont get me wrong, it looks nice and the armament is good too, great guns (a bit to slow on the reload but ok) , torp´s , hell even the AA is great, but the one thing this ship i missing is the smoke that it needs sooooooo much, because it has basicly no armor. So every single ship that is dumping its AP rounds near you will make a ton of damage and after 60 seconds, and using all your repair kits, your will sink so fast to the buttom of the ocean that you dont even knew what really hit you....or in other words its crap in my opinon...at least in its current state....and i dont mean you cant play a good game in it, you can if you get paired up with tier IV of V ships only, but if you hit the jackpot and get bigger once, your are screwed - so if you ask me, if you can get if for free go for it, but i can not recommened to buy it, its too bad :Smile_facepalm:

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
1 hour ago, Webber818 said:

I can not say that im impressed with this ship,  and dont get me wrong, it looks nice and the armament is good too, great guns (a bit to slow on the reload but ok) , torp´s , hell even the AA is great, but the one thing this ship i missing is the smoke that it needs sooooooo much, because it has basicly no armor.

I totally agree with you here. Great torps, good AA, effective secondaries, and I'll add great agility. I agree that reload is slow and they forgot to armour the ship. I'd add that the HE is underwhelming. And her steering and propulsion gets hit more than enough to recommend Last Stand over Expert Marksman.

Then you said...

So every single ship that is dumping its AP rounds near you will make a ton of damage and after 60 seconds, and using all your repair kits, your will sink so fast to the buttom of the ocean that you dont even knew what really hit you.

A little hyperbole to make your point I thought.

Then you added...

or in other words its crap in my opinon...at least in its current state....

And I will have to respectfully disagree.

I too am very sad that she isn't a T6 RN Cruiser, with the equipment to deal with being at that tier.

I would love her to have smoke and 12 second reload and as such be a great ship to take into Operations.

It would be great to have her as a perfect Captain Trainer for the RN CLs.

But she isn't that. And with what seems like an announcement today that Premiums are NOT going to get rebalanced (elsewhere on the forum) she never will be. :cap_viking:

However she is good at taking apart DDs with her HE.

She will spank any cruiser who shows a broadside, even T7 ones at maximum range. A Battleship best not show her broadside at under 8km, or damage will be done.

She will tear apart any RN cruiser coming straight at her as her AP overmatches their bow armour.

What you have is a cruiser that can be played for a short and glorious life supporting DDs up near the Cap

Or using her great agility a log range gun platform, but remember to "jink"

She doesn't play like Leander or Fiji, nor like Emerald, and so don't expect her to be a typical RN CL.

She needs love and care to play to her strengths. She is a Challenge.

As to whether to buy her...

That is for each player to decide...

I have and I don't regret it.

Edited by Cambera_1
Emphasis
  • Cool 3

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,550 battles
1 hour ago, Cambera_1 said:

I totally agree with you here. Great torps, good AA, effective secondaries, and I'll add great agility. I agree that reload is slow and they forgot to armour

YES ! interesting ship , would love to try but until 080 .01 ,2 3 4 or what ever gets fixed my money is on hold !  Would really like to see realistic game play , the real Exeter took 7 solid , 11inch hits from the Graf Spee  in a hour running gun fight . The Spee made most hits at a distance of 19,000 yards to about 10,000 yards . The Exeter only broke off the engagement when electric power was lost to the aft guns and the front was totally shot out . The amount of damage to the Exeter was huge , but a crack DCP crew managed to put out fires and keep the ship from sinking . listing 10 dregs taking on 900 tons of water the Exeter limped to a Falkland port to be repaired and returned to action . The Graf Spee was really not a CH as listed in WOWS ,she was a Pocket Battle ship and in the same gun fight took about 20 odd hits from a total of 2 CLs and the CH  Exeter , with a lot less damage ! More or less making the Graf Spee a much better ship than the game model ,its some what weak being a CH  . I would guess the Game Exeter could take on the G Spee in a one on one and EZly  sink the G Spee , in reality that would be a big ho ho !

Edited by bondone
add
  • Cool 1

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
13 minutes ago, bondone said:

Would really like to see realistic game play , the real Exeter took 20 ish , 11inch hits from the Graf Spee  in a hour running gun fight . The Spee made most hits at a distance of 19,000 yards to about 10,000 yards .

Sorry - in a Training Room a Bot HMS Exeter was taken apart by Graf Spee in about 45 seconds

• Cool 1

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,550 battles
13 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

Sorry - in a Training Room a Bot HMS Exeter was taken apart by Graf Spee in about 45 seconds

The real Graf Spee and Exeter  had smoke screens . In game Spee dose not , Dose the Exeter ?  Their are advantages of smoke if used right ,but in game the use is incorrect anyhow ! as well as it dose not recover fast and use is limited  . Graf Spee used smoke 7 times to cover torp attacks ,and hard turns to avoid salvoes .  The BRIT ships only used smoke once each to cover retreats to break off battle . Well the Exeter should have been a T6 better armed not a T 5 .

• Cool 2

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
7 minutes ago, bondone said:

The real Graf Spee and Exeter  had smoke screens . In game Spee dose not , Dose the Exeter ?  Their are advantages of smoke if used right ,but in game the use is incorrect anyhow ! as well as it dose not recover fast and use is limited  . Graf Spee used smoke 7 times to cover torp attacks ,and hard turns to avoid salvoes .  The BRIT ships only used smoke once each to cover retreats to break off battle . Well the Exeter should have been a T6 better armed not a T 5 .

As  @Webber818 pointed out above, Exeter is missing her smoke too. They also nerfed the RoF from the historical 12 seconds to 15 seconds late in the pre-release testing (apparently).With both she would be totally overpowered at T5, still a glass cannon with that lack of armour.

It would be so good to see her there with HMS Ajax & HMS Achilles in all her glory.

• Cool 1

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,550 battles
32 minutes ago, Cambera_1 said:

As  @Webber818 pointed out above, Exeter is missing her smoke too. They also nerfed the RoF from the historical 12 seconds to 15 seconds late in the pre-release testing (apparently).With both she would be totally overpowered at T5, still a glass cannon with that lack of armour.

It would be so good to see her there with HMS Ajax & HMS Achilles in all her glory.

One must wonder why they screw up historic ships to the point of being silly . When I got the Graf Spee I was shocked that almost any broad side shoot out would sink her fast , the plane is fighter only and weak AA, and then hard turns are more like a tug boat , worst of all no smoke . Well hiding behind a rock then forward and backwards in game is by far the most unrealistic battle .Forget unrealistic historic ships ! Then what they did to CVs , pure FUBAU ! 

Still I would like to see Ajax and Achilles if for no other reason then to shoot at them with the GS .  WOWS needs a extra game mode REALISTIC ,then COOP then RANDOM . heck with non working CVs !

• Cool 3

[TEACH]
Alpha Tester
2,454 posts
9,545 battles

I wouldn't mind buying her alone without the admiral pack BS. I just want to buy the ship without having to grind her for free (no time and no patience for yet another long boring grind) and without wanting to pay for a bloated sales bundle.

• Cool 1

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
13 minutes ago, Shaka_D said:

I wouldn't mind buying her alone without the admiral pack BS. I just want to buy the ship without having to grind her for free (no time and no patience for yet another long boring grind) and without wanting to pay for a bloated sales bundle.

My guess is that it is not available with just a slot is because they want you to work at it or pay loads of money.

Again guessing, 3-4 months time she will be available for cash for the simple package.

I believe that on Reddit people are suggesting that she might be available for coal or steel. I can't quite see her as a steel ship but coal I can see as a possibility.

• Cool 4

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,550 battles
1 hour ago, Cambera_1 said:

My guess is that it is not available with just a slot is because they want you to work at it or pay loads of money.

Again guessing, 3-4 months time she will be available for cash for the simple package.

I believe that on Reddit people are suggesting that she might be available for coal or steel. I can't quite see her as a steel ship but coal I can see as a possibility.

then maybe ajax or achillies 

[O-R-P]
[O-R-P]
Players
469 posts
26,380 battles

90% battles it lands on tier 7
A punchbag for any bb getting blapped to port in seconds.

Too low ROF, need smoke, badly.
Some good battles on it only when it lands on t5.

Repair? LOL very useful when you are back in port.
It have no armor to angle anything, it have no dexterity to avoid, it have no trajectory to shoot from behind the cover.
It have too low ROF to kill dd. It getting easilly citadelled by DDs AP

Citas on cruisiers? Yea sometimes, but mostly overpens. Ap good enough to overpen cruisiers without damage but shatter on BB armor....

Useless.

• Cool 1

[HOO]
Beta Tester, Players, In AlfaTesters
2,289 posts

It should have been a T6 with the historical reload and the smoke. Period. That would also correspond with the effort one has to put in to grind the ship, as it is a tad ridiculous for a T5 with the timegating, sometimes ridiculous requirements and nation-specific stages. 

my

220px-2_eurocent_common_1999.jpg

• Cool 3

Players
262 posts
2,216 battles
14 hours ago, Cambera_1 said:

I too am very sad that she isn't a T6 RN Cruiser, with the equipment to deal with being at that tier.

I would love her to have smoke and 12 second reload and as such be a great ship to take into Operations.

It would be great to have her as a perfect Captain Trainer for the RN CLs.

But she isn't that. And with what seems like an announcement today that Premiums are NOT going to get rebalanced (elsewhere on the forum) she never will be. :cap_viking:

However she is good at taking apart DDs with her HE.

She will spank any cruiser who shows a broadside, even T7 ones at maximum range. A Battleship best not show her broadside at under 8km, or damage will be done.

She will tear apart any RN cruiser coming straight at her as her AP overmatches their bow armour.

What you have is a cruiser that can be played for a short and glorious life supporting DDs up near the Cap

Or using her great agility a log range gun platform, but remember to "jink"

She doesn't play like Leander or Fiji, nor like Emerald, and so don't expect her to be a typical RN CL.

She needs love and care to play to her strengths. She is a Challenge.

This. I bought her, since I do not play very often. Only a few games in it, but I just like her, soft shell, some gimmicks to play with. She's just like a cute puppy.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[OMPG]
Beta Tester
94 posts
4,480 battles
14 hours ago, Cambera_1 said:

They also nerfed the RoF from the historical 12 seconds to 15 seconds late in the pre-release testing (apparently).

""British Cruisers of World War Two" states that this rate was never reached during wartime service and that the maximum sustained ROF in action was actually 3 to 4 rounds per minute. During trials, HMS Kent did achieve a ROF of 5 rounds per minute for a brief time.""

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_8-50_mk8.php

So 15 secs reload in combat conditions is very historically accurate. GJ WG!

• Cool 1

[BUSS]
Players
12 posts
7,186 battles

Why stating distances in yards?

Does this guy knows 95% of the world population uses metrical system.

Sorry, I had to express my frustration. 

• Funny 1

[LIEGE]
Players
14 posts
34 minutes ago, Drenkeling said:

Maybe because he use original report as source and crew and ship was British ... alas those primeval units.

• Funny 1

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
9 minutes ago, Marccus said:

Maybe because he use original report as source and crew and ship is British ... alas those primeval units.

And also - Britain foolishly never gave up Miles and Yards when we half heartedly went metric.

• Cool 1

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,550 battles
7 hours ago, Drenkeling said:

some charts and books that are old ,state distance in yards or miles ! including some log books dated 1945 or before . I also guess 95% of the world dose not include North America . Football fields are still marked in yards . Most USA police and army shooting ranges are marked in yards and American made gun sights are set for yardage not meters . Canada is some what split between metric and inch and Mexico goes with any master who has the money to spend ,but I guess North America and Central America are only 5% of the world . Moreover most aircraft machine work done is on cutting machines that work in .0001 of one inch and that tooling was sold world wide . American Aircraft old and new can be found in just about every airport on earth even Russia or junk yards . repair work is done by the inch not cm on such things . 

Edited by bondone
add

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,550 battles
9 hours ago, Feldpropst said:

. She's just like a cute puppy.

that's a good one , never called a ship a cute puppy !  normal is SHE  as in , she is a good ship !   ho ho ho 

• Cool 1

[4-20]
[4-20]
Players
117 posts
On 3/15/2019 at 6:17 PM, bondone said:

Moreover most aircraft machine work done is on cutting machines that work in .0001 of one inch and that tooling was sold world wide . American Aircraft old and new can be found in just about every airport on earth even Russia or junk yards . repair work is done by the inch not cm on such things .

actually metric is being used even in Britain for tecnical stuff, engeneering,  instrument making, dentists,,,,   and so on.

Anything with a tiny bit of  modern technology on it, will be metric.... 

........or north american, yeah.

lol

[SE_WO]
Players
206 posts
10,550 battles
5 hours ago, victorem said:

actually metric is being used even in Britain for tecnical stuff, engeneering,  instrument making, dentists,,,,   and so on.

Anything with a tiny bit of  modern technology on it, will be metric.... 

........or north american, yeah

still a lot of things made to inch specs .  A lot of cars are spec out using tooling to the inch , but worst of all many na cars now use parts from China making them a sorry mix of inch and metric , One spec part that did vanish was The old British WHITWORTH spec parts ,but for Guns some one still uses their strange Taps and Dies today  . I have had thousands of bucks worth of tools because of the mix and match use of metric and inch systems and some old whitworth stuff .  I worked on everything from military aircraft to race cars , motorcycles  ,weapons , boats and bikes . At lest aircraft and weapons all use one standard  or the other . A mix of standards is not good ! 

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
On 3/15/2019 at 6:34 PM, bondone said:

that's a good one , never called a ship a cute puppy !  normal is SHE  as in , she is a good ship !   ho ho ho 

I believe that in France, Germany & Russia ships are regarded as Male. So in English you are correct by culture, but other cultures might be (and are) different.

There do seem to be many reasons why ships should be feminine...

• Cool 1

[K-P-M]
[K-P-M]
Players
494 posts
3,024 battles
Vor 59 Minuten, Cambera_1 sagte:

I believe that in France, Germany & Russia ships are regarded as Male. So in English you are correct by culture, but other cultures might be (and are) different.

There do seem to be many reasons why ships should be feminine...

At least for German i can assure you that we reffer to ships as "she". But it's a tad more difficult as we have Not only "the" for all genders but three different types : der (Male) , die ( female) and das (which ist used for unspecific things like "child" , "car" , "weather" etc....)

• Cool 1

[WWGU]
Players
500 posts
8,765 battles
1 minute ago, DaMaGGo said:

At least for German i can assure you that we reffer to ships as "she". But it's a tad more difficult as we have Not only "the" for all genders but three different types : der (Male) , die ( female) and das (which ist used for unspecific things like "child" , "car" , "weather" etc....)

Thanks for that.

I believe that the Captain of the Bismarck referred to her as "He" so I might have misunderstood the cultural and linguistics here.

From Wikipedia. "Burkard Freiherr von Müllenheim-Rechberg joined Bismarck as fourth gunnery officer in June 1940, and he would become the highest-ranking officer to survive Bismarck's last battle on 27 May 1941. Much of what is currently known about Bismarck's final days is attributed to his account as a witness. Lindemann made Von Müllenheim-Rechberg his personal adjutant and instructed him to refer to the ship as "he" rather than "she"; Lindemann considered the ship too powerful to be referred to as a female. He commissioned the battleship on 24 August 1940. He showed a great deal of attachment to the ship and was respected by his crew." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Lindemann

• Cool 1