You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
The_Shungite_Wizard

Map boarder

Should the map edge deal damage   

81 members have voted

1. 1. Should they change the map edge

53 comments in this topic

[A41]
[A41]
Players
55 posts
8,698 battles

After prolonged contact maybe not as soon as you hit it maybe some limit per match as sometimes you turn hit it and move off. It is people who run to it and abuse it that need punishing

• Cool 1

Players
381 posts
16,687 battles
12 minutes ago, _Agent_ said:

After prolonged contact maybe not as soon as you hit it maybe some limit per match as sometimes you turn hit it and move off. It is people who run to it and abuse it that need punishing

Yes the abusers need to be punished 

[THESO]
Moderator, Players
1,379 posts
9,869 battles

If they stay in the border long enough they'll lose all their speed, so long as you have decent aim they're going to get punished. So no, don't think the border needs to do damage as well.

• Cool 7

[ENUF]
[ENUF]
Players
2,470 posts
23,343 battles

Ships on the border are easy to hit, their movement is confined to one line and they slow down. If they play with the (fast) rudder to change directions, you can just ignore them. They are far from the action.

• Cool 2

Players
1,201 posts
7,237 battles

The only thing that imo should be changed with the map border is the way it makes planes turn.

I shamelessly say that I abuse it to make sharp U-turns with my planes when I attack someone near the edge of the map.

THe planes should still be forced to turn, but not faster than when they do it on open map.

• Cool 3

Players
330 posts
8,850 battles
38 minutes ago, elblancogringo said:

The only thing that imo should be changed with the map border is the way it makes planes turn.

I shamelessly say that I abuse it to make sharp U-turns with my planes when I attack someone near the edge of the map.

THe planes should still be forced to turn, but not faster than when they do it on open map.

I second this, but cheesing the map edge helps you discourage enemies from hanging out near the border, so you can just see it as a deterrent.

[SLAPP]
Players
1,653 posts
10,002 battles

surfing the border is something that i see rarely. 

i dont realy have an issue with it.

• Cool 2

[CROTZ]
Beta Tester
1,196 posts
9,794 battles

Sliding border ships are superb for Pong CV bombing :D

IMHO the most fun is Double Pong, CV attacking a sliding ship on the maps border corner.

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
7 hours ago, The_fun_police said:

Yes the abusers need to be punished 

Problem is, you apparently have no idea how this works.

To put it simply - currently you're heavily punished for getting into the border. DDs still fare reasonably well, they can unglue themselves relatively quick, but BBs, CVs and even cruisers that hit it at a steep angle find themselves crippled, basically dead in the water and with serious problems maneuvering.

4 hours ago, elblancogringo said:

As far as planes go, there's no good way to handle it. In fact, even now the plane-border interaction leads to strange situation in the other direction as well: a ship that sails near the border can just reinforce the map-facing sector and call it a day, all attacks are going to come from the reinforced sector AND the retreating post-attack planes are going to be in it as well... But that's a minor problem compared to what you'd see if planes - instead of being bounced back - ended up making a sloow turn over their target, basically out of their player's control... would require better sector management but the level of lethality would be insane.

The first step to making plane-border interaction less abusable (by both sides) would be to create two borders: the ship border and (wider) plane border. Then, after that, you could change the rules of border interaction to force the planes to make a slow turn or even (especially when border is hit at close to right angle) forcefully invoke F. But you can't do any of these while the border for planes and ships is the same unless you want to give a huge advantage against planes to any ship that sticks close to the border...

Players
381 posts
16,687 battles

yesterday i saw the problem, i kind of forgot about it as i havent seen it for awhile, a yamato on my team 1st thing he does is drive into the "WALL" and spends the entire game there, that sort of behaviour should be punished 

[HALON]
Players
700 posts
11,822 battles

Map border should slow the ship down and deal a good amount of damage.

Too many people are using it to have an unfair advantage. 

[PONY]
Beta Tester
7,138 posts
11,891 battles
4 hours ago, Amon_ITA said:

Map border should slow the ship down

Thats allready happening. Perhaps the discussion would be more effective if people would start to know about the things they are talking .

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,875 posts
7,295 battles

Map border problem you say..... Ezzz solution. 

738599418_Thenhowdoyouexplainpictureslikethis_cff0b14d27e47291c54dd2c97f43a764.thumb.jpg.9f32418233010828e769cfd3f24de738.jpg

And it would be a realistic scenario too, you know fall of the map back into port just like IRL you know, flat earth and all.... :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 12

[BFS]
Beta Tester
2,439 posts
17,837 battles

While it's not a real advantage I'd be happy if these boarder huggers would take increased damage over time.

• Cool 2

[CRU_]
Players
384 posts
9,871 battles

Should act like a grounding, instead of how it is currently used by players who know how to exploit it.

• Cool 1

Players
381 posts
16,687 battles
2 hours ago, zengaze said:

Should act like a grounding, instead of how it is currently used by players who know how to exploit it.

It's not really an exploit, I'm. More annoyed when a team mate in a yamoto spends a good 10 minutes doing in and not doing anything to help the team, oh your going to fight the battle from there REEEEEEEE no one wants that, the plebs that do it should suffer, they already do from xp and loses but why drag everyone else down

[HALON]
Players
700 posts
11,822 battles
14 hours ago, Igarigen said:

Thats allready happening. Perhaps the discussion would be more effective if people would start to know about the things they are talking .

There is no damage dealt to border huggers, it’s not already happening. Going sideways on border map gives an unfair advantage , it’s an exploit and should be punished with damage.

[PONY]
Beta Tester
7,138 posts
11,891 battles
Just now, Amon_ITA said:

There is no damage dealth to border huggers, it’s not already happening. Going sideways on border map gives an unfair advantage , it’s an exploit and should be punished with damage. No damage is dealth as today so no, it’s not already happening.

Read what i quoted. You wanted the ships to get slowed down. And that is allready the case.

[HALON]
Players
700 posts
11,822 battles
Just now, Igarigen said:

Read what i quoted. You wanted the ships to get slowed down. And that is allready the case.

And get damage, AND GET DAMAGE damnit. Follow your own advice, read.

[PONY]
Beta Tester
7,138 posts
11,891 battles
Just now, Amon_ITA said:

And get damage, AND GET DAMAGE damnit. Follow your own advice, read.

I only took reference to the slow down part. Perhaps its hard to understand for you, but i did.

Players
1,211 posts
7,739 battles

These behaviours are not so frequent, the speed loss is enough crippling, there is no need to add to it damages. You are already punished as a tetraplegic sitting duck.

• Cool 1

[TOXIC]
Players
4,795 posts
12,260 battles
21 hours ago, Amon_ITA said:

Map border should slow the ship down and deal a good amount of damage.

Too many people are using it to have an unfair advantage. 

They don't. Because instead of giving you an advantage, fair or not, it messes you up. You might find yourself benefiting from edge-surfing ship's erratic behavior once a blue moon, mainly at the very moment you hit the border, but overall you're at a huge disadvantage for running out of map and getting you engine messed up so you can't even unglue yourself from the border in any sort of reasonable time.

The one situation where map border can give you something resembling consistent (ab)usable advantage is the plane-ship interaction when either a CV uses the border to bounce planes back from it in a super-tight turn or when a ship uses it to cover their side from planes by sailing near to it. Neither of these is relevant to the issue of how ships are treated for touching the border.

[NWP]
Beta Tester
2,168 posts
20,186 battles

The one thing that is bothering me about the current map borders is that you can not clear them by reversing, at least not in any meaningful way. Due to the power reduction which apparently also affects deceleration it just takes ages to get into reverse gear.