You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
EmilyKing

HMS Furious and her planes

46 comments in this topic

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles

So CVs usually have an acknowledged type of plane that's better, for that nation's CVs etc. Is it fair to say that the Furious should be a torp bomber focused CV?

Also for the Furious' dive bombers, are they dive bombers? where do you aim to have the reticle before you click to begin your bombing run? So far they feel more like level bombers with the amount of movement the reticle has when it turns green, still trying to figure out how to use them, as they seem very different from the IJN and USN dive bombing mechanics.

tips advice and tricks appreciated :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[KAKE]
Players
2,524 posts
5,980 battles

RN CV bombers do indeed perform level bombing attacks rather than dive bombing (because that worked so well when it was tried out in practice).

• Cool 2

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles
4 minutes ago, EmilyKing said:

So CVs usually have an acknowledged type of plane that's better, for that nation's CVs etc. Is it fair to say that the Furious should be a torp bomber focused CV?

Also for the Furious' dive bombers, are they dive bombers? where do you aim to have the reticle before you click to begin your bombing run? So far they feel more like level bombers with the amount of movement the reticle has when it turns green, still trying to figure out how to use them, as they seem very different from the IJN and USN dive bombing mechanics.

TB are sort of strong point of the UK, "dive", or rather horizontal bombers are more of an anti capital ship/large cruiser tool due their dispersion. Which would be fine if not for their low HE pen, often defeating the point. They are surprisingly decent at decapping smoked DDs, as you don't need direct hit to decap. Rockets are rockets, they are very fast though so next to no lead is needed.

I don't see why I'd want them over US or even IJN carriers to be honest.

• Cool 2

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,783 posts
19,478 battles

Yes, Furious should be considered a TB focused CV. Her TBs are excellent. Use them against everything but DDs.

Her RFs are pretty good against DDs but suck against everything else due to being very slow.

Her bombers are Level Bombers. You basically attack with them like rockets. They're also garbage because having a squad of 4 where you attack only one at a time is stupid and even on a perfect run often yields negligible damage.

• Cool 4

[BS4]
Players
1,287 posts
7,230 battles
4 minutes ago, EmilyKing said:

Yes I've been experimenting with this as well and to be honest I find her easyer to use than the other nations cv"'s.  

I find that on the bomber side of things when that reticle is white you can click it when it's almost on the enemy target. That way when it turns orange it's shrink back from the target is just enough so that it usually turns green bang on the target...obviously the earlyer you do it the more time it can give you but if the target is turning and you have to adjust whilst the reticle is green it makes for an inaccurate drop....

Oh ...and what's with the poor penitration of bombs? I get 70- 80% non penitration's when using them:Smile_amazed:

Anyone else finding this?

• Cool 2

[KAKE]
Players
2,524 posts
5,980 battles
21 minutes ago, Panocek said:

TB are sort of strong point of the UK, "dive", or rather horizontal bombers are more of an anti capital ship/large cruiser tool due their dispersion. Which would be fine if not for their low HE pen, often defeating the point. They are surprisingly decent at decapping smoked DDs, as you don't need direct hit to decap. Rockets are rockets, they are very fast though so next to no lead is needed.

I haven't bothered playing the Hermes and I don't have the Furious yet. However, my impression so far is that they for all practical purposes have two squadrons of rocket planes, which can be all kinds of annoying.

Had a game in the Nicholas where the enemy Hermes, despite me and a nearby cruiser murdering their planes in droves, just kept cycling between rocket planes and bombers and nibbling away at my health, keeping me from doing anything useful.

They may not be the most powerful CVs, but they certainly seem like they have the potential to top the annoyance-scoreboard.

• Cool 1

[BLAST]
[BLAST]
Players
763 posts
12,424 battles

As posted on another thread, but it seems equally relevant here.

Got Hermes and Furious.

Hermes seems to be the best T4 CV. It's slow planes is a bit yawn but all its weaponry seems to do good damage against most targets.

Furious seems to be the worst T6 CV. It's slow planes get murdered by higher tier AA despite supposedly tougher planes. There aren't enough goats on board to sacrifice to RNGesus for the poor old carpet bomber pilots. Not sure whether sight stabilisation will help, or better off getting survivability expert first. The carpet bombers seem to have difficulty hitting t8 cruisers. Yeah, I've dropped a few DD's but it seems to require a lot of luck compared to the lethal USN HE DB's. I guess you can carpet bomb BB's, but then I doubt they pen much and its back to RNG fire hopes. Abandon all hope all ye who enter here.

• Cool 3

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles
1 minute ago, SeaWolf7 said:

Yes I've been experimenting with this as well and to be honest I find her easyer to use than the other nations cv"'s.  

I find that on the bomber side of things when that reticle is white you can click it when it's almost on the enemy target. That way when it turns orange it's shrink back from the target is just enough so that it usually turns green bang on the target...obviously the earlyer you do it the more time it can give you but if the target is turning and you have to adjust whilst the reticle is green it makes for an inaccurate drop....

Oh ...and what's with the poor penitration of bombs? I get 70- 80% non penitration's when using them:Smile_amazed:

Anyone else finding this?

32mm HE pen on bombs. At tier 6 all-or-nothing armor scheme isn't that popular (yet). Even IJN cruisers have reinforced deck which can be cringeworthy when you need to kill one ASAP.

Tier 8 keeps the same HE pen, so same issue when facing ze Germans and anything with reinforced deck. Not sure if tier 10 gets any improvement

• Cool 2

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles

alright so it isn't just me who's noticed that im bouncing bombs off lightly armoured cruisers.

what's up with that i wonder.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles

the level bombing really feels like it robs dive bombers of the accuracy you get from the "dive" in dive bombing. why are they EVEN called dive bombers when they level bomb :Smile_teethhappy:

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,009 battles

not got it yet but I have faced them and seen a lot in battles and tbh they do rubbish and are nearly always in the bottom 1/3 of the team at the end

the tier 6 planes are so slow in my lexi I can drop the fighters on them and they don't even get the chance to get out of the range before the fighters engage which is awful for them

I did try the Hermes but the play was so slow it was painful

not sure what wg is trying to aim for with the british cvs but it sure aint working at the moment

• Cool 2

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles
2 minutes ago, EmilyKing said:

the level bombing really feels like it robs dive bombers of the accuracy you get from the "dive" in dive bombing. why are they EVEN called dive bombers when they level bomb :Smile_teethhappy:

Level/horizontal/whatever WG came up bombing in aircraft used in game is pretty much waste of ordnance. It would be a valid gimmick for lets say Hornet with B-25 on board though

• Cool 1

Players
6,780 posts
245 battles

They should make RN CV's torp and health based. USN Dive and numbers based and maybe, IJN Speed and Rocket based. That would make it easier for people to focus on what they like to do and i guess provide wargaming somewhere to go for balancing.

Idk just an idea i guess.

Having RN CV's do bombing runs makes no sense though unless drop like 2-3times the amount of bombs divers do.

• Cool 1

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles
Just now, Panocek said:

Level/horizontal/whatever WG came up bombing in aircraft used in game is pretty much waste of ordnance. It would be a valid gimmick for lets say Hornet with B-25 on board though

yea but then your target would need to be the size of the japanese home islands... :Smile_teethhappy:

i mean i enjoy the british CVs being in the game and i do kinda like their torp bombers. but i feel overall their impact on a game is a lot less than say, the IJN or USN CVs. maybe this is the point of early access, so they can get the sort of feedback like we're providing now. I think it's a case of the Brit CVs having a less impactful set of tools in the bombers which makes them less impactful. I remember a couple of casual games i was in where some apparently good youtuber who plays CVs was in it in the Hermes. We won the 1st one and someone on the enemy team was like "oh they have this guy who's acknowledged for playing CVs on his YT no wonder we lost" even though i was top on the team. Next round i faced against the YTer on the enemy team and we won again with him having little impact in his Hermes.

[KAKE]
Players
2,524 posts
5,980 battles
4 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

IJN Speed and Rocket based.

Considering that of the three navies whose CVs are represented so far the IJN was the only one who never actually used rocket armed planes, that would be a rather daft choice.

Having RN CV's do bombing runs makes no sense though unless drop like 2-3times the amount of bombs divers do.

That's pretty much exactly what they do, though.

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles
Just now, CptBarney said:

They should make RN CV's torp and health based. USN Dive and numbers based and maybe, IJN Speed and Rocket based. That would make it easier for people to focus on what they like to do and i guess provide wargaming somewhere to go for balancing.

Idk just an idea i guess.

Implacable seems to fix that by delivering 2x8 tea samples. Ranger dive bombers can be lacking at times with 3 bombs only after all.

If anything:

USN - dive bombers and few hard hitting rockets(TiTs), crappy torps

IJN - extraordinary torpedoes (fast, converging), small HE bombs instead rockets, AP bombers

UK - lots of rockets, as IIRC they were UK air force fetish of a sort, okay TB, okay DB.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

Players
6,780 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Uglesett said:

Considering that of the three navies whose CVs are represented so far the IJN was the only one who never actually used rocket armed planes, that would be a rather daft choice.

irrelevant too be honest since, it's obvious wargaming only use historical accuracy as the exception and not the rule. Figuring out roles for these nations is more important atm.

That's pretty much exactly what they do, though.

Saw a post where someone said they dropped 4 bomb's not exactly a lot.

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles
1 minute ago, Panocek said:

Implacable seems to fix that by delivering 2x8 tea samples. Ranger dive bombers can be lacking at times with 3 bombs only after all.

holy crap the secret weapon of the brits. tea!

Players
6,780 posts
245 battles
3 minutes ago, Panocek said:

If anything:

USN - dive bombers and few hard hitting rockets(TiTs), crappy torps

IJN - extraordinary torpedoes (fast, converging), small HE bombs instead rockets, AP bombers

UK - lots of rockets, as IIRC they were UK air force fetish of a sort, okay TB, okay DB.

Ehh i just hate the inconsistency that wargaming has with some lines in their games but i guess thats just me.

I find the rangers 3 bombs to be OK they do quite a lot of damage to DD's if you get all three to drop and damage.

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles
2 minutes ago, CptBarney said:

Ehh i just hate the inconsistency that wargaming has with some lines in their games but i guess thats just me.

I find the rangers 3 bombs to be OK they do quite a lot of damage to DD's if you get all three to drop and damage.

You find them okay simply because you haven't witnessed what 6 bombs on Lexi can do:etc_red_button:

Players
6,780 posts
245 battles
2 minutes ago, Panocek said:

You find them okay simply because you haven't witnessed what 6 bombs on Lexi can do:etc_red_button:

Only 4mil off till i get it. :cap_rambo:

Players
9,851 posts
11,562 battles
1 minute ago, CptBarney said:

Only 4mil, 18k FXP and some more 1.5mil off till i get it. :cap_rambo:

fixed

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles
1 minute ago, Beastofwar said:

Planes are ugly. Damage is good. Nerf after events inevitable.

aw... but i love ugly planes

another thing btw. the camo being applied to the flight deck... is that how they were IRL? that bugs me a bit.

• Cool 1

[ROT8]
[ROT8]
Beta Tester
1,509 posts
10,009 battles

ranger to the lexi is a nice step up in planes and ability to do damage

hope its going to be the same in british cv line but not the impressed with how the implacable seems to be doing with the few yt vids i have seen of it