You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
BLUB__BLUB

What about a premium CV - let's say Ark Royal?

30 comments in this topic

[BBMM]
Players
5,781 posts
7,334 battles

Might have crossed the mind of some (either hate or love) but sooner or later we'll get them.

So... what would you like (or hate) in a premium aircraft carrier? I'm thinking of this one:

HMS_Ark_Royal_h85716.jpg

.... as it doesn't get any more famous than the Ark Royal.

Also, I think it should be T6 - else it will never face the Bismarck, which we can't allow to happen.

Also, it should have Swordfish TORPEDO BOMBERS instead of them being HE-divebombers. 

Maybe it should have more than the usual TWO torps at T6 though, let's say three or four planes per attack (to compensate for the slow planes).

It will be quite good against island campers... especially if you can drop those torps from far away AND from short range. 

Note that she had a big hangar and a lot of Swordfish could be housed (as they'll be dropping like flies no doubt).

Away with the Skuas and Albacores though - even though she never had anything else in real life, get her some lend/lease unique planes. 

Else T6 might be a bit too hard... I suggest the P40 Kittyhawk which was a carrier-fighter, and a good bombing plane.

Another option might be Sea Hurricanes (they carried rockets) - maybe even Seafires is also an option, though they were ~ 1943 onward.

But hey, it's an arcade game, and when having a premium legendary CV might as well have legendary planes too.

As a 'special consumable' (after all, it is a premium) a reconnaissance plane might be an option - Ark Royal had  Supermarine Walrus. 

What do you guys think? 

• Cool 2

[PUPSI]
Privateer
10,822 posts
Vor 8 Minuten, BLUB__BLUB sagte:

but sooner or later we'll get them.

"more sooner" I'd guess, since a premium British tier VIII CV was already shown by the CCs...

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

We never used the P40 as a carrier plane (neither did anyone else asfaik, dunno where you got that from). The Seafires are on the T8 carrier but the Sea Hurricanes are on the current T6.

I would love to see the Arc but what's the point with the current rework crap?

• Boring 1

Players
1,619 posts
18,177 battles

They will certainly release The Ark as a premium in time and probably as a tier 6 considering we already know we are getting a tier 8 premium. All that WG will do is wait for the current hype to die down and then release her knowing such a famous ship will be popular. 

As for loadout I'm really not sure the selection of planes across the rework is rather bizarre usually based around tier rather than historical accuracy.

Still it's a pity I was looking forward to The Ark's arrival (and I'm certain it will come) but since the rework unless somehow CV suddenly becomes interesting to play again I just don't care what they give her. 

[BBMM]
Players
5,781 posts
7,334 battles
1 minute ago, fallenkezef said:

We never used the P40 as a carrier plane (neither did anyone else asfaik, dunno where you got that from).

Well... the Brits got the P40 as a lend-lease, and certainly they could fly off carriers... the Brits and Yanks transported them to Malta this way. 

Brewster Buffalo would be good too, but we already have them in game. 

p40s-being-transported-aboard-location-aircraft-carrier-flight-deck-picture-id615311434?k=6&m=615311434&s=612x612&w=0&h=-mTBJn2n1UwL2XcnvTeJ02wGBaBuviMEVFr4kq0fkfU=   70533c71982bb0a15904c90326d6d644.jpg

See: http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com/2011/02/curtiss-p-40-em-porta-avioes.html

The Seafires are on the T8 carrier but the Sea Hurricanes are on the current T6.

Yeah, Seafires might be a bit too much. Hurricanes are already in game at T6 indeed, and they were available with rockets. 

2mdmn1v.jpg 

Main thing is I'd like the SWORDFISH to have torpedoes and not HE bombs, and to put different planes on than on other CVs.

I know they can't be Seafires - but something else might serve as well and make it more 'special'. 

AFAIK though the Hawker Fury/Tempest was never a seaplane, and the Sea Fury is definitely too 'new'. 

I would love to see the Arc but what's the point with the current rework crap?

I'm quite enjoying the carriers, maybe you're not - but I suppose they do the premiums AFTER the cr4p has passed the fan, so to speak.

A premium T8 CV I have seen already but it would be no use for operations, I also doubt if it would be usable as a 'trainer' (if you have T8... then what do you want to train for).

[DC_DK]
Players
3,037 posts
31,509 battles

If you have seen any P-40 on a carrier its only because it was transported by such. P-40 was solely a land based  aircraft

[BBMM]
Players
5,781 posts
7,334 battles
4 minutes ago, lovelacebeer said:

They will certainly release The Ark as a premium in time and probably as a tier 6 considering we already know we are getting a tier 8 premium. All that WG will do is wait for the current hype to die down and then release her knowing such a famous ship will be popular. 

I know. Maybe we should 'help'them a bit by telling what we'd like. 

As for loadout I'm really not sure the selection of planes across the rework is rather bizarre usually based around tier rather than historical accuracy.

Yes, it is why I 'dare' suggest the P40. :Smile_trollface:

But seriously, by using a different plane type they can balance that without considering other CVs that have the type.

Still it's a pity I was looking forward to The Ark's arrival (and I'm certain it will come) but since the rework unless somehow CV suddenly becomes interesting to play again I just don't care what they give her. 

I find it entertaining... so far. Getting T8 in a T6 CV sucks, but hey, it also sucks heaps getting T8 when I am in Leander... :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,781 posts
7,334 battles
36 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

If you have seen any P-40 on a carrier its only because it was transported by such. P-40 was solely a land based  aircraft

I know... just that hey do not seem to much into historically correct stuff anyway. :Smile_playing:

33 minutes ago, hgbn_dk said:

They would not be able to land again on a CV.. No tail hooks

Well usually none of the planes return (all shot down) so no problem... :Smile_trollface:

Also the Ark Royal was the first RN CV with hooks and a steam catapult, I suppose before that they made landings as well.

OK probably not with fast planes... :Smile_hiding:

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles

nah. give us HMS Glorious and make it tier 6 so i can get into tier 7 games and be sunk along with the acasta on my team by gneis and premium scharns just the way history intended :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[BBMM]
Players
5,781 posts
7,334 battles
Just now, EmilyKing said:

nah. give us HMS Glorious and make it tier 6 so i can get into tier 7 games and be sunk along with the acasta on my team by gneis and premium scharns just the way history intended :Smile_teethhappy:

I suppose after the 'finishing' of the rework they will re-introduce T7 CV. And we can always reverse history... even if we have to resort to ramming. :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[CR33D]
[CR33D]
Players
2,770 posts
26,595 battles

Well WG will probably release Indomitable sometime after 0.8.2 and official release of RN CVs. I doubt you'll se Ark Royal any time soon.

[BBMM]
Players
5,781 posts
7,334 battles
17 minutes ago, fumtu said:

Well WG will probably release Indomitable sometime after 0.8.2 and official release of RN CVs. I doubt you'll se Ark Royal any time soon.

Well, nevertheless let's give them some ideas, before they start researching their own... :Smile_trollface: 

Players
1,245 posts
9,282 battles
1 hour ago, Chaos_Umbra said:

Ark Royal would have worked great as a T7 CV... oh wait WG removed CVs from odd tiers... :fish_palm:

You could still easily put her in T6, as she's a relatively early fleet carrier, and you can basically choose a plane loadout that's appropriate at T6.

Similarly, I'd love to see the USS Saratoga CV-3 as a T6 premium, with an earlier loadout compared to the tech-tree T8 Lexington. Basically a big, mid-30s carrier with tons of biplanes.

320px-USS_Saratoga_(CV-3)_landing_planes

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles

what if..... WG took odd tier CVs out... so they could put them back into the game as premiums 

Image result for thinking emoji

[B0TS]
Beta Tester
1,798 posts
6,647 battles
14 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Hornet with B-25s when? :Smile_trollface:

But wouldn't that be the equivalent of Kamikaze planes, a one way, single strike mission - as the B-25's flew on the Russia to land, not being able to land back onto Hornet ;)

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,777 posts
19,465 battles
1 minute ago, philjd said:

But wouldn't that be the equivalent of Kamikaze planes, a one way, single strike mission - as the B-25's flew on the Russia to land, not being able to land back onto Hornet ;)

Not like a lot of strike planes make it back nowadays anyway. :Smile_trollface:

[JRM]
Players
6,296 posts
24,183 battles

Wasnt it china they aimed for?

• Cool 2

[LO1]
Alpha Tester
1,481 posts
6,079 battles
41 minutes ago, Yedwy said:

Wasnt it china they aimed for?

I think it was russia to start with... but due to no direction signal and fuel problems, China was the best bet!

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles

With some tweaking a British T6 prem could work with the stock load of the T8, Fireflies as fighters and such.

[KOKOS]
Players
253 posts
5,148 battles
1 hour ago, Tugnut said:

I think it was russia to start with... but due to no direction signal and fuel problems, China was the best bet!

pretty sure the plan was to head to china. the aircrews received some basic training in how to say "im an american airman" in mandarin so i would think that's always the plan. one did end up in russia though

• Cool 1

Players
3,339 posts
16,096 battles
On 3/13/2019 at 11:35 AM, lovelacebeer said:

They will certainly release The Ark as a premium in time and probably as a tier 6 considering we already know we are getting a tier 8 premium. 

You are right - that is what they SHOULD do. But WG have set a precedent already for having multiple British premiums of the same type on the same tier.

i. Tier7 battleships: Hood, Nelson, Duke of York