You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
kapnobathrac

So what is the consensus on CVs ?

173 comments in this topic

Players
377 posts

One camp says you need to be an expert to make it work and the other one says it doesnt work at all.

Im relatively new and play to kill time and have fun and cant say what is strong and what not but my experience so far with the CV is

- Same tier is OKish

- tier 8 cv in tier 10 battles always ends with the squadron dead regardless if you attack a group or a single ship. Their AA shoots across the map,deals damage quickly and if you do land some hits ,its 774-2500 damage.

Then there is flying the passanger airline style to spot but who likes that.

How do experts deal with tier X AA?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,284 battles

Im gonna join the group that says CVs should be removed from the game, its the dumbest [edited]crap Ive ever seen in a game.

Just had a game in my Fuso, I ended up in a tier 8 game with a tier 8 CV. He targeted me the ENTIRE game, I tried to park right ontop of high tier BBs but he kept attacking me with torpedoes, floodings after floodings after floodings. I ended up having done NOTHING the entire game. How is this fun gameplay? Is it a [edited]joke?

• Cool 16
  • Boring 9
  • Bad 4

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,749 battles

they managed to create a class that is frustrating for both the one that is attacking or the one that are being attacked.  

Not only that, they managed to create something that in the hands of very good players is even more op. But this group is even smaller than before.

Oh...and they have managed to widen the skill gap

• Cool 23

Players
1,474 posts
3,096 battles

I agree that if you are top tier of same tier you can do good/decent, but as you are uptiered, your planes just desappear from the skies.

Right now it's what i fear that most, getting uptiered. Because if i'm another ship, i can still do something, but if i'm a CV, i'm going to do almost nothing.

[SM0KE]
Players
5,419 posts
13,329 battles

I feel there is still hope for the rework, if it turns out to be possible to balance properly.

I must admit though, I'm mainly having fun hunting planes with my US DDs at the moment, and occasionally pratting about in Coop/Ops with my CVs, which is probably not entirely what WG intended...

• Cool 3

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,284 battles

The only way to balance it even remotely atleast is to lock the CVs to +/- 1 instead of 2. It would be better for both CV players and all others.

• Cool 9

[BLUMR]
Beta Tester
857 posts
10,764 battles

I like them.

They suck when bottom tier and are borderline OP when top tier, mid-tier seems pretty good.

They definitely feel like part of a team now as opposed to a deciding factor.

2 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

The only way to balance it even remotely atleast is to lock the CVs to +/- 1 instead of 2. It would be better for both CV players and all others. 

I agree with this.

• Cool 3

Players
105 posts
7,261 battles

I actually kinda like em now how they play. Almost have the Hakuryu which wasnt something i thought i would ever say.

• Cool 1

[BHSFL]
Players
3,378 posts

If you read what WG is planning on higher tier UK CV the mouth of hell is about to open for DD....what was it ? 42 rockets fired in a single pass by british rocket planes ? Elliptical reticules/rocket fire patterns  ?

This will be interesting during air supply box sales.....but after that the nerfs will be slapped on, then what will they become ? 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,727 posts
5,270 battles
39 minutes ago, kapnobathrac said:

One camp says you need to be an expert to make it work and the other one says it doesnt work at all.

Im relatively new and play to kill time and have fun and cant say what is strong and what not but my experience so far with the CV is

- Same tier is OKish

- tier 8 cv in tier 10 battles always ends with the squadron dead regardless if you attack a group or a single ship. Their AA shoots across the map,deals damage quickly and if you do land some hits ,its 774-2500 damage.

Then there is flying the passanger airline style to spot but who likes that.

How do experts deal with tier X AA?

The  consensus is..that there isn't a consensus, from what I have seen.

• Cool 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,465 posts
8,816 battles
13 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

At the same time, they would need to restrict CV division to one tier, otherwise you can use CVs as anchors. Ofc it would be good in general to disallow fail divisions, not only for CVs...

And i have to do it: Funny how fast your opinion changed really :Smile_teethhappy:

32 minutes ago, Flavio1997 said:

they managed to create a class that is frustrating for both the one that is attacking or the one that are being attacked.  

Not only that, they managed to create something that in the hands of very good players is even more op. But this group is even smaller than before.

Oh...and they have managed to widen the skill gap

Typical WG fail afterall... or they lied as usual :Smile_amazed: (or not as i know from MrConway how WG interprets skill gap :cap_fainting:)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[OGHF]
Players
1,131 posts
19,779 battles

A fair few DD have no answer to USA T8 CV’s as there rockets just delete them as they have no AA  to speak of. Some are fine and have fair AA but others are defencless 

Weekend Tester
857 posts

See this nonsense about the rockets, its just that nonsense, yes they can hurt you but so can anybody else, if your dodging its very hard to get a hit on a dd wi rocket planes.

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,284 battles
2 minutes ago, DFens_666 said:

At the same time, they would need to restrict CV division to one tier, otherwise you can use CVs as anchors. Ofc it would be good in general to disallow fail divisions, not only for CVs...

And i have to do it: Funny how fast your opinion changed really :Smile_teethhappy:

Typical WG fail afterall... or they lied as usual :Smile_amazed: (or not as i know from MrConway how WG interprets skill gap :cap_fainting:)

The reason I changed was when I played ships that arent american. As you can see I play mainly US ships.

Low tier ships with bad AA are chanceless against CVs. True that CVs dont do a whole lot of damage but the constant floods and fires do. I would in that case rather remove flooding entirely from CVs.

And I actualy do play CVs aswell, quite a lot actualy. I do enjoy the gameplay, I just dont enjoy playing against CVs. But I also have to say the problem isnt with DDs. Even in japanese DDs I dont have an issue. I have an issue in BBs with bad AA because you cant hide and you cant dodge. You are completely defensless.

[TIPC]
[TIPC]
Players
98 posts
9,940 battles
46 minutes ago, AdmiralDing3Ling said:

Im gonna join the group that says CVs should be removed from the game, its the dumbest [edited]crap Ive ever seen in a game.

Just had a game in my Fuso, I ended up in a tier 8 game with a tier 8 CV. He targeted me the ENTIRE game, I tried to park right ontop of high tier BBs but he kept attacking me with torpedoes, floodings after floodings after floodings. I ended up having done NOTHING the entire game. How is this fun gameplay? Is it a [edited]joke?

If he attacked you the whole game then I must say he didnt do anything also. If a t8 CVs needs entire game to sink a Fuso then there is something wrong there ….

[GRK3N]
[GRK3N]
Players
1,171 posts
6,284 battles
8 minutes ago, Klimons said:

If he attacked you the whole game then I must say he didnt do anything also. If a t8 CVs needs entire game to sink a Fuso then there is something wrong there ….

Let me rephrase that then "MY" entire game. But sure it did take a while to kill me and yes I was probably not the best target. Ofcourse my team got rolfstomped as always but still.

My point is that I did 10k damage that entire game and some of that was firedamage. I couldnt do anything except trying to get away and manouvre around torpedoes so I was never really in range of any enemy ship. And the worst part was that I wasnt alone, not at all. I was in a blob with one algerie and one nurnberg and an AFK KGV but he still managed to get 3-4 strikes in with each wave. So for me there was no gameplay at all that match and that is EXTREMELY frustrating.

• Cool 1

[OGHF]
Players
1,131 posts
19,779 battles
21 minutes ago, DreadArchangel said:

See this nonsense about the rockets, its just that nonsense, yes they can hurt you but so can anybody else, if your dodging its very hard to get a hit on a dd wi rocket planes.

IJN CV, no problem to dodge, but USA CV, no chance.

[ICI]
[ICI]
Players
787 posts
4,520 battles

I like to play them a few times per week casually 

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

There really isn't much consensus but that's hardly surprising when the updates are pretty much weekly. There will always be those who say CVs is OP and conversely those who call for them to be buffed to such an extent they might as well be equipped with Exocet missles. 

From what I have seen with the large number of games where CVs are present certainly a lot of people are curious to try them, and hey if CVs can be balanced ( aIthough I doubt it will be anytime soon) I'm all for them. Although I personally just don't see the fun in playing CV but that's just me I tried it during testing and have done a few in Co-Op but it's just far too boring and repetitive. 

Honeslty the only issue for me is the way that the rework has increased how passively a lot of people play and the extremely drawn out process of finding a balance between CVs and other ship classes.

Still for the foreseeable future I think we can expect a 50/50 split of forum posts saying CVs are both over and under powered. 

[SHAD]
Players
2,459 posts
11,023 battles

I actually feel bad for Wargaming. They spent hours creating this rework and now no one seems to play them.

• Funny 2

Players
9,816 posts
11,519 battles
Just now, lovelacebeer said:

Still for the foreseeable future I think we can expect a 50/50 split of forum posts saying CVs are both over and under powered. 

To quote @MrConway (?) from one of early streams about new CVs - if you hear crying coming from both sides, you can assume you're in somewhat balanced position:Smile_popcorn:

• Funny 6

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,770 posts
19,435 battles

The truth is nothing has changed compared to the RTS iteration except the average player has become even more braindead while experts are even fewer in numbers now.

• Cool 7

Players
1,245 posts
9,262 battles

"You need to be an expert" is closer to the truth. If you look at the stats of top 5% players in T8 CV's, these guys are clearly not struggling. And I guarantee these numbers aren't solely made up of farming in T8 games.

I've whined my own share about how miserable it is to play in T8 CV's -- but if I think back, it's really very rare that I end up at below 50k damage in a T10 game. What DOES happen the early games can be really hopeless. But if I play a bit careful, without exception those feasible targets start to emerge. OK you could say "but 50k is crap", but it's not really. It's perfectly fine if these are the games where I'm by definition among the weaker ships, while I might reliably get 100k when top tier (resulting in comfortably above average overall stats in a T8 ship).

I think the CV's are doing fine, but it's more a matter of perception. It feels really stupid that so many of your planes just die, die, and die. Regardless of whether you end up with decent damage in the end.

I did have a shower thought about maybe making it so that instead of having all the "dead" planes crash into the ocean, some of them would be shown limping back to the CV instead -- too damaged to fight on -- while being placed out of your control just like dead planes. It wouldn't actually give you any planes back, but it'd feel less daunting. You could think "well, that didn't work out, but at least Joe and Charlie there made it out", instead of "WTF LOL all dead again".

[_CHN_]
Players
27 posts

though I am new, I have played a lot of games over the years (30ish). the one thing that is always an issue is game balance. I have had the fortune of working on an online game with input on balance concepts. Naturally I analyze a game when I play it from the player perspective as well as the coder's perspective. Currently the +/- 2 Tier matchmaking system is designed to facilitate speed of matches, but does little to match skill or ship powers / abilities. In the case of Carriers this is an extreme issue as the AA balance is focused around same tier and tier lower ability to destroy planes in a certain period of time. once you get a tier above or even 2 tiers above the AA's ability to chew up your planes goes up exponentially. I spent time in the training room resting time to kill values of various classes of ship from 2 tiers below to 2 tiers above. driving your planes into a ship of higher tier isn't going to work very well, relative to same tier or lower. so back to the matchmaking system, it needs to look at making the carrier the top tier item of the match, and possibly limiting to one per team. of course if the MM system had additional options like +/- 1 tier or same tier only options then this issue would disappear over night.

p.s. 2 ships of 1 tier above the cv will chew planes up literally before you can turn around.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"never bring a T8 to a T10 fight son"

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1