Angloborn

Please help me choose a new line to grind to tier 10

15 comments in this topic

[CTZ]
Players
7 posts
5,956 battles

Dear fellow captains :Smile_honoring:

Recently I finished my grind of the British cruiser line and got myself a Minotaur!

I loved the line for it's stealth, manouverability and the ability to pack a punch to both bbs and dds with my guns and situational torps and Im looking for a new line to grind to tier 10.

However, I'm in doubt if I should focus one of the other classes to tier 10 or pick another cruiser.

So far I've got most lines to at least tier 5/6 and a few at t7. As premiums I've got the USS Salem, Nelson and Aigle which is nice for captain training.

I was wondering what my fellow captains would grind next?  :Smile_amazed:

I primarily play random battles and played ranked with my Neptune what I quite liked ^^

My playstyle is quite aggressive being close to the action and I prefer raw AP damage over setting ships on fire.

I'd love to hear what y'all think!

All the best and good hunting! 

Angloborn

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,575 posts
13,500 battles

Hm, trying to be close to the action, raw damage over fires... aggressive play...

The German BB line may be right up your alley, or, alternatively, the upcoming Russian BB line, though I suppose you can't grind it yet. 

Just temper the aggressiveness with some forethought and conservative play, and you'll be golden.

Players
174 posts

The question is: What do you really want? More of the same or going for something opposite?

However, as you have some T6 / T7 ships from other lines (T5 doesn't tell much I'm afraid):

• IJN T7 (partly T6) gameplay is quite similar up to Zao
  • US T6/T7 (light) cruisers gameplay is comparable to high tier (well you have Salem so you should know)
  • german T7 gameplay is a bit similar to T10 (but T5/6 totally different cause those are still light cruisers)
  • never played frenchies so can't tell

If you like more of the same: maybe US light cruisers are for you (hide behind islands instead of smoke)

If you like something different maybe go for a heavy cruiser line or try a complete different ship type (BB/DD/CV)

Most cruisers are about setting fires. Germans have good AP to but are maybe a harder line to play cause correct ammo switching is a key skill.

• Boring 1

[N0RSE]
Players
173 posts
14,253 battles

I would go for something different (battleship for example), you will become better in the game if you have experience in more than one class of ships. 

Go for the nation you find most interesting, just remember that German battleships require good knowledge about when it's a good idea to brawl. It's not the easiest battleships to play. 

[CTZ]
Players
7 posts
5,956 battles

Thanks for the replies so far! 

I do want something different but I do want to be able to contribute to the team. Not much of as sniper lobbing shells at max range. I do like accuracy though.

For cruisers I set my eyes on the the Japanese but with the Aoba I'm not doing that much damage. Does that change at higher tiers? Don't have a premium for these guys though.

Also thinking of the US CA line but I already have the Salem, basicly Des Moines. That Salem really is a perk retraining captains though so I was thinking maybe the US dds or BB's. The BB line is slow though but they do strike hard. Are they fun at higher tiers?

[TTTX]
1,559 posts
14,545 battles

If I were you, coming from finishing the RN CL line, I would want to play something a bit more sturdy.

That means either heavier cruisers or BBs.

The IJN Cruiser line is, in my opinion, the most consistent line in the game. You get very accurate but relatively slow firing guns at t5 and ships only get better as you progress through the ranks.

However they are not DPM monsters. Their whole deal is being able to do a lot of damage in 2-3 salvos then disappear before they receive any meaningful return fire.

Their citadels sit kind of high in the water but their armor is generally decent, compared to the other cruiser lines at least.

The other Cruiser option would be the Germans. Decently armored, accurate guns with second to none AP alpha and the t10 is still probably the most versatile cruiser in the game.

For BBs, the IJN BB line has some great ships along the way and ends in the ever relevant Yamato at t10. As long as the overmatch mechanic will stay as is, the Yam will always be a scary boat.

If you feel like you want more AA instead, then USN is the way to go. From t8 onward, all ships are very good.

• Boring 1

Players
174 posts
Vor 1 Stunde, _Teob_ sagte:

However they are not DPM monsters. Their whole deal is being able to do a lot of damage in 2-3 salvos then disappear before they receive any meaningful return fire.

Well, I play them different it seems.

Open water fights and keeping the guns hot at about max range unless more than 2 enemys fire back. Mainly using HE as they are good fire starters and don't forget to use your torps.

Extreme WASD hack usage is needed though to dodge the return fire which they can pretty well IMO.

"Kiting" is what they can do well.

Aoba is a bit different as she has a different gun layout and is for many one of the weaker ships in the line (i really enjoyed her). i suggest to try following Myoko. If you still struggle or don't like the fully upgraded Myoko then that line is probably not for you. 

• Boring 1

[TTTX]
1,559 posts
14,545 battles
1 hour ago, Skurios_Volleys_Fan said:

Open water fights and keeping the guns hot at about max range unless more than 2 enemys fire back. Mainly using HE as they are good fire starters and don't forget to use your torps.

Extreme WASD hack usage is needed though to dodge the return fire which they can pretty well IMO.

Aoba is a bit different as she has a different gun layout and is for many one of the weaker ships in the line (i really enjoyed her). i suggest to try following Myoko. If you still struggle or don't like the fully upgraded Myoko then that line is probably not for you. 

I mean obviously, if nobody targets you then you keep firing. As you go up the tiers though, dodging incoming fire becomes less and less possible because of the massive accuracy gains that BBs get. So once you start finding yourself against Montanas and Yamatos, dodging salvos becomes very tricky.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

Players
174 posts
Vor 14 Stunden, _Teob_ sagte:

I mean obviously, if nobody targets you then you keep firing. As you go up the tiers though, dodging incoming fire becomes less and less possible because of the massive accuracy gains that BBs get. So once you start finding yourself against Montanas and Yamatos, dodging salvos becomes very tricky.

Dodging Yammis or Montis in a Zao is not impossible.

As tiers go up more and more fighting distances grow too. SO in a Zao you're fighting more at 19km than then 14km  in T6/7.

So yes, accurracy of BBs increas but also the hangtime of shells which gives you more time to manouver / dodge.

• Bad 1

[N0RSE]
Players
173 posts
14,253 battles
15 hours ago, Skurios_Volleys_Fan said:

This!! 👍⬆️

I don't mind at all if 1 or 2 ships are firing at me when I'm in a Myoko, with enough practice with WASD, you can with quite some confidence "tank" a ship or two. If I have a enemy battleship firing at me instead of an easier target on my team, I consider that a good thing. You go dark if you get focused by many ships or are in a bad position to actively dodge incoming fire. 

[CTZ]
Players
7 posts
5,956 battles

I think Im a bit drawn to the monty line! :Smile_coin:

Halfway on the New Mexico now. I'll keep my eye on the Japanese cruisers and the Germans for if I ever get a premium for those factions though.

Any advise to how to get through the slow ships without too much frustration?:Smile_smile: 

[TTTX]
1,559 posts
14,545 battles
1 hour ago, Angloborn said:

I think Im a bit drawn to the monty line! :Smile_coin:

Halfway on the New Mexico now. I'll keep my eye on the Japanese cruisers and the Germans for if I ever get a premium for those factions though.

Any advise to how to get through the slow ships without too much frustration?:Smile_smile: 

Good line.

The New Mexico is OK - it has comparable speed to a lot of its counterparts. The Colorado however is really painful. Virtually all same tier or higher tier ships BBs are faster than you.

The guns are OK though.

The only advice I can give you is spec into Concealment and Fire resistance as soon as possible and try to not get left behind.

• Boring 1

[N0RSE]
Players
173 posts
14,253 battles

Colorado is not really that bad, amazing guns compensate for slow speed. You have 21.5 km range at tier 7, that is very good and you outrange even some tier 8 ships. 

US BB line is very solid, and a good start on this class of ships. They kinda are the jack of all trades, and from tier 8 you can go all out on AA and hope some cv will challenge your build 😁

• Cool 1

[TTTX]
1,559 posts
14,545 battles
23 minutes ago, Nit0 said:

Colorado is not really that bad, amazing guns compensate for slow speed. You have 21.5 km range at tier 7, that is very good and you outrange even some tier 8 ships. 

US BB line is very solid, and a good start on this class of ships. They kinda are the jack of all trades, and from tier 8 you can go all out on AA and hope some cv will challenge your build 😁

It's the worst performing BB at t7 in terms of Win Rate and second worse in terms of Damage overall.

Can someone make it "work"? - Yes

Is it a good ship? - No

Having said that, none of the T7 BBs are particularly good so as long as you don't get up tiered too much, it's sort of OK.

For me at least the speed made it thoroughly difficult to enjoy.

• Boring 1

[CTZ]
Players
7 posts
5,956 battles

Just a little update to finish this post.

Got my Colorado and already have my kraken in it even though the ship is still stock ^^

Thanks captains to help me choose a new line! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this