You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
FearsomeFlotsam

Republique secondary build now best?

34 comments in this topic

Players
204 posts
14,172 battles

I was under the impression that a survivability build was best for Republique, but having seen some gaudy numbers put up on multiple occasions on Panzerknacker's channel (one quite recently), I'm starting to wonder if a secondary build isn't actually the best for Rep (at least for randoms). I'm going to do one because I don't have any other ship for that style of gameplay. The question is which skills and modules to pick?

For modules I'm thinking Legendary module or Secondary battery mod 2 in slot 6 and secondary battery mod 1 in slot 3. All the usuals apart from that.

If I'm going for 11-15km partial brawling strategy, I'm thinking I need FP, but CE is probably a waste of time. So:

Expert Loader

Adrenaline Rush

Superintendent

Fire Prevention; AFT

Not sure what to do with the other 5 points. Could go manual secondaries + priority target. Other possibilities are BFT and DE (for the extra fire chance on the secondaries).

Any suggestions?

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,932 posts
8,396 battles

AFT is a dead skill. Flak damage has been nerfed even after AFT was already weak for the AA role after 0.8.0, and secondaries lose their effective damage output on long ranges so Manual secondaries or even IFHE are better skills for secondaries. 

There are two builds I can safely recommend for Repu and french BBs in general.

Allrounder and most competitive build: Expert loader, Adrenaline rush, superintendent, Fire prevention, Concealment expert, Expert Marksman and lastly Basics of Survivabilty

If you really want to use secondaries however I have this specialized secondary build that hasnt let me down: Expert loader, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Manual secondaries, IFHE, Concealment expert (or if youre really bad at managing concealment pick Fire prevention) and for the last point pick Preventitive maintenence or Priority Target.

• Cool 1

[CATS]
Players
26,032 posts
14,064 battles
22 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

I was under the impression that a survivability build was best for Republique, but having seen some gaudy numbers put up on multiple occasions on Panzerknacker's channel (one quite recently), I'm starting to wonder if a secondary build isn't actually the best for Rep (at least for randoms). I'm going to do one because I don't have any other ship for that style of gameplay. The question is which skills and modules to pick?

For modules I'm thinking Legendary module or Secondary battery mod 2 in slot 6 and secondary battery mod 1 in slot 3. All the usuals apart from that.

If I'm going for 11-15km partial brawling strategy, I'm thinking I need FP, but CE is probably a waste of time. So:

Expert Loader

Adrenaline Rush

Superintendent

Fire Prevention; AFT

Not sure what to do with the other 5 points. Could go manual secondaries + priority target. Other possibilities are BFT and DE (for the extra fire chance on the secondaries).

Any suggestions?

Getting lucky does not mean it is strong.

[SHAD]
Players
2,443 posts
10,937 battles

I love Secondary builds but its the French battleships armour that hold them back

I do have AFT and Manual secs but  these ships are not built for brawling.

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

YouTubers don't show bad / failed games. They cherrypick the good ones where stuff worked.

Just look at Jingles & Two Brothers for example. Is going mid there a good idea? No, you'll fail practically always. But that one time it works - that tends to be amusing.

Similar case here - secondary builds are never "smart" and generally worse performing than a "proper" build, but they are hella fun. Like, probably the most fun you can have with the ship. I still think Republic doesn't have anywhere near the armour for it, but if that's what you want - why not?

5 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Expert loader

Should be said that it's completely wasted effort if your switch goes past 10s. This puts its usefullnes at 5 BBs in a game, although Republic (with legendary) is one of them

• Cool 1

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles

I did the same as I wanted another secondary Spec ship for tier 10 (Kurf being the other one) and it's alright.  It's enjoyable and something different than the usual "throw shells at a distance" meta.  It does alright with its longer range secondary fire with HE fire potential that just chesses everyone off.  Killed a few DDs doing it as well as cruisers and burns BB's to the ground on quite a few occasions. It's alright to be fair.....

However...…..

I have since changed it to a Tank build with FP.  I have done better in it since. :cap_tea:

It's those HE shells from cruisers that can really cripple it and every cruiser wants to HE spam a Republic. It hasn't got the armour or HP to sustained spam and fire damage for too long. It's the main guns that make the republic and that is where you need to invest those points.  If your still alive, then your guns are more useful (sounds stupid I know) and having things like FP are simply too much of a good skill with this ship not to have.  

My personal experience is that I seem to get MORE fires on the republic and always get 2 middle fires burning, unlike some other BB's I have sailed.  

Not only that, but it's simply not a brawler.  It's the camping meta if you wanna believe it or not and second builds are few and far between to earn it's points back. 

The republic is all about flaking (fast and good AA for a BB) and it's fast firing HARD hitting guns that you need to keep firing.  Keep the guns ticking by investing in survival skills.

So it's a fun build and does alright, but to get the most out of it go survablily, trust me.  Leave the Seconday build to the Kurf, it simply has better Armour (by far), Hydro, build in IFHE and HP.  The republic simply isn't a brawler i'm sorry to say.

Players
204 posts
14,172 battles
9 minutes ago, Affeks said:

AFT is a dead skill. Flak damage has been nerfed even after AFT was already weak for the AA role after 0.8.0, and secondaries lose their effective damage output on long ranges so Manual secondaries or even IFHE are better skills for secondaries. 

There are two builds I can safely recommend for Repu and french BBs in general.

Allrounder and most competitive build: Expert loader, Adrenaline rush, superintendent, Fire prevention, Concealment expert, Expert Marksman and lastly Basics of Survivabilty

If you really want to use secondaries however I have this specialized secondary build that hasnt let me down: Expert loader, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent, Manual secondaries, IFHE, Concealment expert (or if youre really bad at managing concealment pick Fire prevention) and for the last point pick Preventitive maintenence or Priority Target.

Not convinced by IFHE or CE over AFT. If you take CE and not AFT, you're basically committing to fighting well beyond the range of your secondaries, which would seem to devalue all the other secondary buffs you've committed to. I can see the value of IFHE, but it seems like you could do just as well with the 3 point DE skill and looking to do more damage with fire rather than pen, considering how high Republique's secondary fire chance is.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,569 posts
13,476 battles

Honestly, I wouldn't. 

You can get nice numbers now and then, but the way the game is, it's just not worth all the points investment to go secondary in any BB. And I used to run a full secondary kurfurst build back in the day, IFHE and all. 

For so many points and module slots needed to make it at least decent, it's too situational, and takes away from 2 areas that are absolutely cardinal to BB play - survivability and main battery. 

Focus on those 2, and you will never go wrong. Points and modules used to buff these are useful 100% of the time, you cannot say the same of secondaries, do not rely on them to do damage. They should be treated as just that - secondaries. 

I know you don't have it, but If you REALLY want to, a secondary-survivability hybrid on kurfurst isn't too bad. On Republique though... she's just too squishy for you to get good mileage out of them - not to mention her secs. are very easily broken, and taking away from main battery survivability is going to really suck, believe me. Losing concealment on Republique is also going to make your life difficult.

Don't get me wrong. I really love secondary duels, up close and personal... it's just that this isn't the right ship for it, and to really make it work it takes too much from everything else to be really viable.

It's good for memes though :Smile_bajan2: 

Players
204 posts
14,172 battles
2 minutes ago, Redcap375 said:

I did the same as I wanted another secondary Spec ship for tier 10 (Kurf being the other one) and it's alright.  It's enjoyable and something different than the usual "throw shells at a distance" meta.  It does alright with its longer range secondary fire with HE fire potential that just chesses everyone off.  Killed a few DDs doing it as well as cruisers and burns BB's to the ground on quite a few occasions. It's alright to be fair.....

However...…..

I have since changed it to a Tank build with FP.  I have done better in it since. :cap_tea:

It's those HE shells from cruisers that can really cripple it and every cruiser wants to HE spam a Republic. It hasn't got the armour or HP to sustained spam and fire damage for too long. It's the main guns that make the republic and that is where you need to invest those points.  If your still alive, then your guns are more useful (sounds stupid I know) and having things like FP are simply too much of a good skill with this ship not to have.  

My personal experience is that I seem to get MORE fires on the republic and always get 2 middle fires burning, unlike some other BB's I have sailed.  

Not only that, but it's simply not a brawler.  It's the camping meta if you wanna believe it or not and second builds are few and far between to earn it's points back. 

The republic is all about flaking (fast and good AA for a BB) and it's fast firing HARD hitting guns that you need to keep firing.  Keep the guns ticking by investing in survival skills.

So it's a fun build and does alright, but to get the most out of it go survablily, trust me.  Leave the Seconday build to the Kurf, it simply has better Armour (by far), Hydro, build in IFHE and HP.  The republic simply isn't a brawler i'm sorry to say.

I do have a suspicion that I'll end up thinking "this build sucks" - but I'm not really using Republique at the moment for anything else. I find Montana does similar things to the standard Republique build but better (at least in randoms), and I have vague recollections of hilarious Alsace games spamming secondaries from 12km.

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles
14 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Not convinced by IFHE or CE over AFT. If you take CE and not AFT, you're basically committing to fighting well beyond the range of your secondaries, which would seem to devalue all the other secondary buffs you've committed to. I can see the value of IFHE, but it seems like you could do just as well with the 3 point DE skill and looking to do more damage with fire rather than pen, considering how high Republique's secondary fire chance is.

Don't ever get IFHE with it.  Only AFT, Man Sec and BFT if you really want a secondary build.  Fire damage is your friend unlike the Kurf that just outright pens them.

And that's the trouble sometimes....RNG 

All about those main guns so don't take away AIMING MOD too.  

Spend the 4 points on either FP or CE.  CE to get away from spam and ninja more or FP to help with fires, depending on how you wanna play it. 

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,932 posts
8,396 battles
19 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Should be said that it's completely wasted effort if your switch goes past 10s. This puts its usefullnes at 5 BBs in a game, although Republic (with legendary) is one of them

Yeah that one is swappable for other level 1s tbh, but for the other premium frenchies with 15 inchers (especially the ones with MGRB) I find it irreplacable haha

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
9 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Yeah that one is swappable for other level 1s tbh, but for the other premium frenchies with 15 inchers (especially the ones with MGRB) I find it irreplacable haha

I too am considering it for my Bourgogne, will probably test it when we get the free resets next time. But apart from such small exceptions it's generally very meh skill

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,932 posts
8,396 battles
43 minutes ago, DangerousDave2k said:

Buffing the 152mm and 127mm secondaries to pen cruiser hulls make the secondaries go from basically a fire setting tool to a cruisershredder. Also having 152mm pen 32mm plating gives you way more decisive damage damage when your close and brawling (at which point fire is worth very little). 

I agree CE is kinda unreliable right now due to the abundance of CVs and how the mechanic is scuffed right now, but when your in a close engagements, slipping away from spotting after closing out a kill or popping up as close as possible before commiting makes all the difference. 

Basically fire damage > direct damage. So going the distance to get as much direct damage as possible is the way to go imo. About 3/4 of the build is still dedicated to tankiness and main guns. You should always use Aiming systems mod 1 on BBs and 6 mill main gun loading mod.

So in short my build is all about having decisive main guns, but as long as a ship is withing secondary range, the secondaries will be as decisive as possible to the point that you should be able to rely on them to pose a significant threat to as many different enemies as possible.

I see many neysayers to IFHE, and I do agree it might not be the way to go to get the most possible flat damage, but it will win you more skirmishes.

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles

@DangerousDave2k did I just have you on the team just then? :Smile_veryhappy:

What a team we had there, typical example of a team that doesn't listen. 

Mate, you simply can't get that close to a cap at that stage in the game in the Republic. Not with a DD and MIno hovering around it and no hydro/spotter plane. 

Players
3,130 posts
10,542 battles
35 minutes ago, Affeks said:

Buffing the 152mm and 127mm secondaries to pen cruiser hulls make the secondaries go from basically a fire setting tool to a cruisershredder. Also having 152mm pen 32mm plating gives you way more decisive damage damage when your close and brawling (at which point fire is worth very little). 

I agree CE is kinda unreliable right now due to the abundance of CVs and how the mechanic is scuffed right now, but when your in a close engagements, slipping away from spotting after closing out a kill or popping up as close as possible before commiting makes all the difference. 

Basically fire damage > direct damage. So going the distance to get as much direct damage as possible is the way to go imo. About 3/4 of the build is still dedicated to tankiness and main guns. You should always use Aiming systems mod 1 on BBs and 6 mill main gun loading mod.

So in short my build is all about having decisive main guns, but as long as a ship is withing secondary range, the secondaries will be as decisive as possible to the point that you should be able to rely on them to pose a significant threat to as many different enemies as possible.

I see many neysayers to IFHE, and I do agree it might not be the way to go to get the most possible flat damage, but it will win you more skirmishes.

Unlike the Kurf that can fire penetrating secondary's (that doesn't need IFHE to shred cruisers) every 2.3 secs (with AR) and survive more of a brawl, The Republic secondary's fire ALOT slower, the 152mm even more so .  Rarely do you also add Secdaonry MOD to the upgrades unlike the Kurf which can get away with it due to the sheer amount of guns.

I personally think IFHE is just a waste of 4 points, as your main guns can nearly one shot them anyway, even bow on.  More fire chance on the BB will IMHO serve you better as only half of your secondary's have the ability to pen 32MM armour anyway with IFHE, unlike the Kurf that can use them ALL to pen. 

The republic is a cruiser killer and your main guns make short work of them, so it's the Battleships you need to really hurt if they wanna brawl, so soften them up.  Its the Battleships you need to worry about when the time comes so the more fire chance you have, the better it is IMHO.  9% fire chance, 10% with flags and 12% with DE is FANTASITC for starting fires on Battleships. Is mental!

At the end of the day, like you have said, both work.  But 4 points for IFHE:

1) Only the 152mm can damage 32mm BB's, leaving half of them useless for penning.  

2) Only fires every 6.8 secs (less with skills, cant remember now)

3) Yes you can now pen cruisers.....But your a cruiser killer anyway! :Smile_veryhappy: It's the tanky and more HP battleships you need to worry about more. You will blow a cruiser out of the water if he's too close.  A BB will start knocking the stuffing out you unless he's constantly on fire (which he will be, trust me) 

4) Your bane with no Spotter or hydro is also DD's....You don't even need IFHE on any of your secondary to pen them anyway as they can all pen 19mm (apart from Kaba).

I think its a big shout for 4 points.

But it's good seeing more brawlers in this game, we need them to stop this nasty camping meta.  I hope the Russian BB's will sort that out. 

Just my 2 pence mate. :cap_tea:

Players
214 posts
12,141 battles

Go full secondary or don't go at all. IFHE, AFT, BFT, AR + secondary reload mods. You don't need super intendent or basic survivability since you don't always get to use them. Go for full DPM and fun. You can still stay in long range but when you close in you got all the buffs for it.

Secondary specced BBs can still fight in long range and close while others can't. Or if you want to fight in range only pick another BB.

Republics armor is only problem if you put yourself into a bad position and let HE spamming ships get to you. GK takes fires just like republik while less alpha damage.

I finished today with 50k secondary alpha damage and 30k fire damage with secondary republik. Sure beats camper style BB.

• Cool 5

Players
1,133 posts
7,085 battles

I just started playing with Republique. I made a nice secondary build, had shitty games with it, and after around 10 games I switched back to normal tanky build.

French secondaries are really fun and nice fire starters. But in the end, I kept only the german line with a full secondary build.

[ODB]
Alpha Tester
2,957 posts
11,574 battles
15 hours ago, wilkatis_LV said:

YouTubers don't show bad / failed games. They cherrypick the good ones where stuff worked.

Wisest words spoken on the forums for a long time...........Live-streaming often helps peel back little of the halo effect wrapped around some YouTubers judgements and abilities.

• Cool 2

Players
214 posts
12,141 battles
20 hours ago, Animalul2012 said:

Is it really IPHE  a better choice than AFT on the republique? 

AFT and manual 2ndary are a must have. Semi-secondary builds are weak so don't do those. 

With IFHE you can penetrate cruisers better and also 32mm with the 152mm guns. Mainly just more damage. You can try with demo expert to maximize fires but I've lost confidence in fire starting when my conqueror with all the fire buffs can't get fires during games.

Fires just don't happen when you need them and IFHE gives you more alpha overall.

When you max out 2ndary build you get 2,7 and 5,5 second reloads when AR has not kicked in yet. Thats a rainbow of shells from 12.1km away.

• Cool 1

[NWP]
Players
1,099 posts
9,903 battles

I play a semi-sec build on Rep, and I play her aggressively flanking and getting close, so this thread is interesting me. I think I'll try full-sec build on her, purely because I like getting close and I bait AP in her. With the main guns being effective from range, it should be possible to do everything you need to reasonably safely.

[BHSFL]
Players
3,358 posts
On 3/12/2019 at 9:03 PM, wilkatis_LV said:

This is true for all the stuff they show, including OP'ness of specific ships.

Nothing works in any situation all the time.....all choices ( builds) have up sides and down sides, picking certain skills means you choose to be weaker at other things.

IRL and in game secondaries are a defence against fast and agile torpedo lauching ships. IRL Destroyers did often not push attack before secondaries were destroyed or weakened by battleships vs battleship battles. In the cases they did push ( Graf Spee ) they did not fare well.

In this game strenghtended ( more range, ROF and accuracy ) secondaries do actually the same : they are not there to wittle down enemy cruisers and battleships ( though they do that too ) by chipping away health points and seting them on fire, they are there to EXECUTE NEAR DD before they lauch a(nother) torpedo salvo. Since DD don't have armour secondaries are very deadly to them, but not at stock range, rof and (lack of ) accuracy.

And this what secondary batteries do, that is why i invest points/ship upgrades in that even in CV, and it has paid off dozens of times in mere weeks playing time.Doesn't seem very a very popular though, in reviews it is even made rediculous. And it is true secondaries won't deliver huge amounts of damage.....just enough to blow up a not full health DD in time without having to aim main weapons on them switching to HE.

• Cool 1

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
3 minutes ago, Beastofwar said:

This is true for all the stuff they show, including OP'ness of specific ships.

Oh, this is so true. Just look at VMF BBs as shown right now

CCs: OMG THAT BOW ARMOUR THIS IS OP

Actual ships - very strong bows, MASSIVE citadels most likely leading to easy deletions as soon as side is shown

An example: the t5

iChases vid: omg omg omg 38 & 75mm plating this will be so OP

Ship in reality: citadel goes up to its DECK

Honestly I'm losing hope in CCs. At least Jingles has remained true to his word - he's not there to tech stuff, instead he's entertaining. Most other CCs... Absolutely terrible

• Cool 2

[BHSFL]
Players
3,358 posts
12 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Oh, this is so true. Just look at VMF BBs as shown right now

CCs: OMG THAT BOW ARMOUR THIS IS OP

Actual ships - very strong bows, MASSIVE citadels most likely leading to easy deletions as soon as side is shown

An example: the t5

iChases vid: omg omg omg 38 & 75mm plating this will be so OP

Ship in reality: citadel goes up to its DECK

Honestly I'm losing hope in CCs. At least Jingles has remained true to his word - he's not there to tech stuff, instead he's entertaining. Most other CCs... Absolutely terrible

These guys make vids to ( hope to ) make money with it do they not ? They won't succeed by being boring or looking like average players.

Did you ever wonder about documentaries at discovery channel or national geographic ? There is a 'catastrophy' or at least an ''emergency' in any profession in every 3 minutes they are filiming. Actually these YT'ers do exactly the same : exaggarating stuf so it looks exiting and wild. Or outragious.

But it is in fact very damaging, there was mass complaining calling for nerfing CV while in fact tier X UK CV's were used in the  vids that were still in testing ! A lot of the 'worried' vids are made in testing, and we rarely get to see the same, unchanged, ship in the actual game do we not ? It is not called testing for nothing.

• Cool 1

Players
3,288 posts
14,054 battles

AFT is the only secondary captain skill I use on her and don’t spec any secondary modules and she sails and plays like a dream. 

My my best performing BB, only my GK is close in comparison and I don’t play that secondary either really.