You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
I401Kongo

Karma- What's the point?

61 comments in this topic

Question

[VENOM]
Players
5 posts
6,998 battles

Afternoon Captains,

I've been asking around about Karma- or rather; Why are people quick to report and not compliment? (got reported multiple times for even asking this in chat :) ) 

From personal experience I get reported for good plays and in general (primarily uncalled for) and on a blue moon receive a compliment. 

What is the point of Karma other than to spread the salt and ruin other people's mood?

Doing research into this further (other discussions on here and IG) we should remove the Karma system as It is broken and offers nothing other than annoying some players, turn off others from the game and generally more of a burden rather than something to keep. If you want a positive community maybe keep the compliments and receive rewards from it (flags or other in-game goods)-otherwise remove it completely.

In a Mingle With Jingles episode he spoke about  Online gaming in General and the more popular it is the more arseholes you get and used examples such as World of Tanks and League (more salt then you can mine). He goes on to mention Black listing IG which is the best method to avoid people(perfect to avoid those who TK or damage you on purpose) . Sometimes the internet isn't for some people (thin skinned) but Karma is wielded by the thin skinned as a baby toy to throw at people or out of pure salt rather than any actual wrong doing. 

My point is remove Karma, it serves nothing and isn't constructive as well as annoy people. 

I'm interested in your opinion; should WG keep Karma or remove it from the system?- comment below

• Cool 6

60 answers to this question

[TRYME]
Players
12 posts
12,358 battles

Ive been reported/downvoted for:

- Playing bad (obviously)

But also Ive been reported/downvoted for:

- Playing a CV (oh man havent I just)

- Playing a radar cruiser (f...ing radars)

- Playing a hydro cruiser (f...ing hydros)

- Playing a DD (f...ing DDs)

- Playing a BB (f...ing BBs)

- Playing a premium (f...ing P2W)

- Setting an enemy ship on fire 4 times in a row

- Killing someone

- Not killing someone

- Missing a shot (f...ing useless idiot)

- Hitting a shot (f...ing kill stealer)

- Colliding with another ship

- Suggesting that not scouting all caps/letting the enemy have caps for free is stupid (especially flank caps)

- Pushing agressively (once  i even got reported after doing over 200k and a kraken in the worcester for not running away at the end of the game - I killed a DD instead - we won)

- Not pushing aggresively

... you get the idea. The whole system is laughable. People will literally report anyone that doesnt conform to their own preferences, or make simple mistakes we all do.

To me, if you truly want a constructive playerbase, get rid of downvoting (u can still report players with tickets of course) and just keep the compliment function. As my mother used to say, If you dont have anything nice to say, then dont say anything at all.

• Cool 18
  • Funny 6

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,475 posts
13,445 battles

When even people on the enemy team can report you for killing them and other such nonsense it's a ridiculous, arbitrary system.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[TIB]
Beta Tester
29 posts
9,158 battles

I just lost 3 Karma Points in one battle, got 2499 base xp, 191 k Damage, 6 kills, 6 dev strikes, Kraken, Confederate and High caliber.

If you can lose Karma for playing well, what is the Point in having it in game

• Cool 5

[WITCH]
Players
139 posts
4,408 battles

I'm still fairly new to ships, but the Karma system is totally broken and completely pointless. As others have said, I've been reported for playing a CV, not following someones instructions, I even plated a ranked game, had to avoid torps from a friendly DD, who was less than a km away and and firing from behind. We then passed either side of a small island and I met 4 torps that crippled my DD, from the same player. They had 17k battles under their belt too! Anyway, they reported me as I should have avoided the torps, plus they claimed they couldn't see me. Basically, you friendly fire, you get a warning, that should be it. Give us the ability to mute players it chat too.

But, Wargaming, please remove the karma system!!

[BULL]
Players
664 posts
8,320 battles

I regard myself as an average Jo hovering around the 50% mark but see this as irrelevant as it includes early games and is team dependant, we all known how that works.

Karma serves no real purpose,  I401Kongo is correct that the misuse of the system makes it meaningless. The GOOD players don't need it they just say "Look at my stats aren't I good you potato" the bad players get ratty and are more likely to abuse it with the reports for killing them fairly. 

I don't pay much attention to it, I have had both good and bad reports and generally have no or very little karma even after a day of blinding games. It is generally as stated people are slow to compliment and lightning quick to report, I can't even see anywhere how many of each I have received. Wouldn't it be nice to click on the Karma and get a breakdown, 54 Plays well, 48 Plays poorly, 3 Chat abuse etc. etc.

I've known players that have spammed all bad reports on 1 player in one game because they pissed them off, that along shows the system doesn't work.

And the calls in chat for all players to report one player, if you don't like what they did fine, but other people can make up their own minds..

Face it, it was broken from the start because it has no clear purpose.

• Cool 1

Players
1 post
4,228 battles

So far I've lost Karma for:

a) sinking an enemy ship in one go

b) reported by my own side for sinking an enemy ship (?!)

c) reported by my own side for capturing a cap in a CV. 

d) playing a CV (*sigh*)

e) using HE whilst being a brit BB ..

etc etc

I'd rather we didn't have it at all tbh.

• Cool 1

[VENOM]
Players
5 posts
6,998 battles
3 minutes ago, Odo_Toothless said:

When You are playing well and not swear in chat too much, then your karma raises. When you are playing nothing - camping/yolo/running from fight/not playing for objectives and curse in chat a lot - then karma is going to be 0.

So karma is telling something about us.

I'm more talking about the misuse of it and the rarity of compliments- you are expected to play well and not swear thus no compliment for that 

Trust me when I say i hate it when people do "camping/yolo/running from fight/not playing for objectives and curse in chat a lot" -but lets say they were playing the objective and later get focused by multiple enemy ships and can't retreat resulting in them dying with very little done, they didn't yolo because they were trying to back up their team and had no escape-do they deserve a report for trying to do their job? Camping= most of high tier.  Running=actual running away or kiting?

And no excuse for not playing for the objective. 

And that makes Karma a representation of what they think should be right (back seat admiral) however; first they have to understand why they are doing what they did- however potatoes will potato. 

[PANEU]
Players
45 posts
8,419 battles

just had this henri game i got reported 5 times  couldn't carry hard enough or i did too much and upsetted the enemy team i guess.

2019-05-19 (5).png

• Angry 2

[SH33P]
Players
199 posts
13,724 battles

I propose for a mod to be made to get rid of that useless thing. That's improving the game. =)

Players
502 posts
13,517 battles
On 3/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, Odo_Toothless said:

When You are playing well and not swear in chat too much, then your karma raises. When you are playing nothing - camping/yolo/running from fight/not playing for objectives and curse in chat a lot - then karma is going to be 0.

So karma is telling something about us. When i see huge karma drops, i just stop posting unpleasent things in chat.

When you play CV, you get a lot of reports by the enemy and the most potatoes of your team (oh, why you don't send fighter to me while I'm alone at the other side of the map). Sometimes you get compliments but you have to be god-like to get more compliments than reports in CV, especially at T10.

[CATS]
Players
26,156 posts
14,106 battles
16 minutes ago, MrAvila said:

how to check my karma?

sometimes I see compliments after battle, but I've never seen report... and I'm sure I earned quite a few for stupid plays.

Click on your name in port.

Players
6 posts

Funny thing is, I know I'm not very good (I play very sporadically), which is why I mostly stick to Co-op... and yet, some people still aren't happy. I do alright in Co-op and am usually in the top 3 of post-battle results, but all I get from my karma movement is that other players would rather play with bots on their team than someone trying to learn the game.

All it does is make me think "why do I even bother?"

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,520 battles

Noob question: where do you see that karma anyways? I read "I got reported 5 times", where did you see that information?

Quality Poster, In AlfaTesters
1,475 posts
13,445 battles
45 minutes ago, Palubarac said:

Noob question: where do you see that karma anyways? I read "I got reported 5 times", where did you see that information?

Click on your account name in the top left of the port. On the popup your name will have a number next to it, that is your karma.

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,520 battles
3 minutes ago, Astolfo_Is_My_Waifu said:

Click on your account name in the top left of the port. On the popup your name will have a number next to it, that is your karma.

Alright, thanks.

Saw the number before but never cared to investigate what it means.

It says "2", whatever that means.

[NUKED]
Players
472 posts
12,866 battles
On 3/12/2019 at 11:00 PM, loppantorkel said:

Current Karma is better than nothing. Give compliments to those who perform well or are friendly in chat. Report those who need to be reported, sometimes for nothing else than blow off some steam rather than engaging in chat. If you run out of reports, you know it's time to quit for the day. Very good system if you understand to use it properly.

Yes, it is better than nothing. I would suggest that ther should be negative karma and those people who get negative karma need to play Coop, because they are to destructive to the game. For every -karma they need to play at least 1 game coop.

On 3/12/2019 at 6:46 PM, Odo_Toothless said:

So karma is telling something about us. When i see huge karma drops, i just stop posting unpleasent things in chat.

True. Most of the people dont use the karma system though or just dont care about it.

• Bad 1

[V888]
Players
2,106 posts
9,520 battles

After checking it at "2" few days ago... I'm at 0 now.

Can it be negative? :)

Well, I find that in co-op ppl don't like me taking most of the DMG and kills so I guess they report me or whatever...

I don't find it particularly useful but then again... not that I care too much anyways.

[THROW]
Players
158 posts
7,975 battles

I believe devs themselves have no idea what that system is for. Designed years ago - forgotten like Khaba.

Players
36 posts
825 battles
On 3/26/2019 at 9:53 PM, glorgir said:

I just lost 3 Karma Points in one battle, got 2499 base xp, 191 k Damage, 6 kills, 6 dev strikes, Kraken, Confederate and High caliber.

If you can lose Karma for playing well, what is the Point in having it in game

my thoughts exactly.

the ''karma'' system is flawed, useless and it can easily be abused by spiteful people.

there should only be ''compliments'' and for bad people, there's always a ticket case. (and even the game itself can spot unsporting conduct, so such negative karma reports are utterly useless.).

• Cool 1

[IRQ]
Players
1 post
5,093 battles

Karma is useless in this game. As it is a pvp game and ppl are sore losers they love to put the blame on someone else. 

I can understand if you get lots of reports for being an [edited] in chat or just a bad player, maybe even AFK and there should be a penalty for that. Maybe a warning of some kind or something that shows in-game.

On the other hand getting good karma should not be taken away by some grumpy looser. Its really hard to get compliment in game (I've got a few but lost them).Its like one step ahead and 5 back. 

My suggestion is:

Good karma is a counter that give players benefits or rewards (to encourage good play and sportsmanship). You half the score and receive a gift every month and at the end of the year best player of the year is awarded.  

Bad karma can give you noob-status if you played poorly many games or a ban from chat if you misbehaved, AFK ship locked for a week. 

Make something useful of the report system or remove karma value all together. 

[LSCA]
Players
1,048 posts
9,024 battles

i think people give karma points too easy for players who not actually know how to play.

[CATS]
Players
26,156 posts
14,106 battles
8 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

i think people give karma points too easy for players who not actually know how to play.

Unlikely. Most player distribute more reports than compliments.

[LSCA]
Players
1,048 posts
9,024 battles
2 minutes ago, ColonelPete said:

Unlikely. Most player distribute more reports than compliments.

if you have team with players who have allot kama points and still lose battle, then something not right.

[CATS]
Players
26,156 posts
14,106 battles
34 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

if you have team with players who have allot kama points and still lose battle, then something not right.

Karma has nothing to do with all-time skill.

Karma has something to do with being helpful or being better than somebody else in a certain situation.

Even an average player can save your behind with a good move. It is up to you if you want to reward that with a compliment or not. From my experience, it rarely happens, but sometimes it does.