Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
All_up_in_ur_grille

Jean Bart or Salem?

17 comments in this topic

Players
36 posts
8,278 battles

I've got around 225k in coal, so am thinking about which coal ship to pick up next, I got the Musashi on Xmas day (thanks to a super container with 15k coal inside), so I don't have an active coupon

I have got to the Lyon on French BB line, while it's a definite keeper I don't really fancy any of the higher tier ships in the line. I've recently been playing some of the American cruisers, mainly in operations to grind modules/commanders, on the Pensacola/Helena atm and more likely to pursue higher tier US cruisers than French bb's

I guess some other considerations are;

Which is most likely to be removed from Arsenal first?

Perhaps I should wait for the next coupon, which is worth 57-60k coal at these prices

Should I wait to see what other coal ships, if any, are announced, pretty sure I heard a YouTuber mention one but can't remember what it was.

[BIF]
Players
744 posts
9,433 battles

I would wait for the coupon, if u dont need them in a hurry. WG announces if they remove a ship months before removal. And yes, maybe they make a more interresting ship for coal.

• Cool 2

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,236 posts
8,794 battles
8 minutes ago, All_up_in_ur_grille said:

Should I wait to see what other coal ships, if any, are announced, pretty sure I heard a YouTuber mention one but can't remember what it was.

The tier X Azuma will supposedly be sold for coal, so I would wait until we know more about her.

If you value good radar usage, the Salem is in many ways a worse Des Moines. If you eat one citadel in her, the improved heal will not be as valuable either. In any case, I would try to reach the Baltimore before you decide, since she is quite representative of the playstyle of DM/Salem. If you don't like the high-tier French BBs, the Jean Bart won't change your opinion.

So in short, wait for more information regarding the tier X Azuma or buy the Salem if you really want a coal ship right now.

8 minutes ago, All_up_in_ur_grille said:

Neither, I guess, since they aren't really overperforming (though I haven't checked the Jean Bart stats recently).

• Cool 2

[-TAP-]
Players
733 posts
10,405 battles
1 minute ago, Kartoffelmos said:

The tier X Azuma

Not trying to quote snipe or anything, but have I missed another update on the Azuma's status?  Last I heard it'd been shifted down to Tier IX, to match up with the Kron and Alaska.  TBH, I'd be delighted if she did hop back up to Tier X, I could do with something to spice up my clan battle ship selection choices.

Players
36 posts
8,278 battles

Last I heard the Azuma had been dropped to tier 9 and had been seriously nerfed

It wasn't the ship I heard mentioned as a future coal ship, either Notser or Flamu recently mentioned some ship (Think name began with a "Y") that I'd never heard of

[TOXIC]
Alpha Tester
2,236 posts
8,794 battles
14 minutes ago, Pandafaust said:

Not trying to quote snipe or anything, but have I missed another update on the Azuma's status?

What even is a quote snipe? :cap_hmm:

By the "tier X Azuma", I mean the upgraded/modernised version of Azuma which is in development and will be added as a tier X IJN cruiser under the name of Yoshino.

• Cool 2

[-TAP-]
Players
733 posts
10,405 battles
1 minute ago, Kartoffelmos said:

What even is a quote snipe? :cap_hmm:

By the "tier X Azuma", I mean the upgraded/modernised version of Azuma which is in development and will be added as a tier X IJN cruiser under the name of Yoshino.

Cheers bud, that clears up my question nicely.

Quote sniping is just where you take a tiny element of someone's longer post and ignore the rest of it - usually it's an annoying tactic people use in debates, when they have no answer for the rest of the post.

• Cool 2

[OHFK]
Players
431 posts
14,227 battles

I am in the same sits as U and I will go for the JB since she provides more unique playstyle than Salem which is a DM with worse radar, different AA and better heal (but not UK good). 

[NWP]
Players
1,859 posts
16,999 battles
3 hours ago, Pandafaust said:

Quote sniping

Quote mining 

took me a bit of time to realize the WoWsification of the term.

• Cool 2

[JUNK]
[JUNK]
Beta Tester
1,934 posts
8,405 battles

JB is more unique in its role. It was awesome during this ranked season imo.

Salem is okay I guess, but in any competitive envirnoment its completely overshadowed by Des Moines radar. DM also has a very cool legendary mod. So not only can DM use both better radar AND hydro at the same time, but also has bigger variety in playstyle.

Personally JB all day every day.

• Cool 1

[BONUS]
Players
323 posts
19,023 battles

Well both are good, but both is just copy of regular ships with almost nothing special about them, and both are not OP for sure. But i also think Azuma will not be better, so its your own playstyle which should help you decide.

[DD537]
Players
1,403 posts
20,207 battles

You should definitely get Jean Bart. 

Both ships have silver ship version. 

The Des Moines and Salem are almost identical with the main difference that Salem get British heal and short range radar which you can't combine with hydro. 

The Jean Bart is very similar to Richelieu, just she have a lot faster gun reload and access to gun reload consumable. Oh, JB have far superior secondaries. 

And here are the reasons I suggest JB:

1. Bow tanking is far interesting than island humping and JB excell in that. 

2. JB is better at punishing enemy mistakes. 

• Cool 1

[PEZ]
Players
10,952 posts
37,492 battles

If you intend to grind us ca line take JB since desmo is better overall then salem especially since it has LU as well to modify it a bit and make it more effitient if you want to be close up and personal with enemy, if you dont want to go through us ca line take salem

Players
6,338 posts
14,187 battles
On 3/10/2019 at 3:07 PM, All_up_in_ur_grille said:

I've got around 225k in coal, so am thinking about which coal ship to pick up next, I got the Musashi on Xmas day (thanks to a super container with 15k coal inside), so I don't have an active coupon

I have got to the Lyon on French BB line, while it's a definite keeper I don't really fancy any of the higher tier ships in the line. I've recently been playing some of the American cruisers, mainly in operations to grind modules/commanders, on the Pensacola/Helena atm and more likely to pursue higher tier US cruisers than French bb's

I guess some other considerations are;

Perhaps I should wait for the next coupon, which is worth 57-60k coal at these prices

My guess would be that Salem is more likely to be removed first.

If you really have to make a choice, I'd say wait for a coupon and if either ship gets removed,y ou can always decide based on what you have to spend then instead of what you have right now.

I got both ships and overall I like both of them. I don't have DM yet but I do have Rich and I like Rich as well. Rich and JB playstyle is very similar.

But Salem is also a very fun ship to play. But it has a couple drawbacks. Its radar is barely useful at all. I kidna see it like a long range hydro without the ability to spot any torps. Even the 9km of Wooster is a lot less useful compated to the 10km some other radar ships have and Salem sits at 8.5km and lasts shorter as well (25s instaed of like 40s the DM has, iirc).

Another disadvantage is that Salem does not (or at least should not) have a premium credit multiplier. The credit earning potential should be identical to any tech tree tier 10 ship with a standard permacamo mounted, except that Salem has lower service costs.

That said, I think Salem is a strong ship and its nice that it's a tier 10 premium instead of tier 9 (which most of these premiums are).

If I REALLY had to make a choice..I think I'd still settle for JB tho.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this