You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
ResidentXion

The "allied damage" system

20 comments in this topic

Players
1 post
573 battles

Whoever is in charge of designing and implementing this system needs to be given their marching orders. I have NEVER come across a penalty system in any other online multiplayer that punishes the innocent party

Example 1.

I launch a salvo of torpedos, they're in the water & over 2km from the ship and speeding towards a target. Along comes an allied ship, not watching his/her course or trying to steal the kill and takes my salvo broadside. 

I get a team-kill strike because my team-mate is a *edit*

Example 2.

I'm in a heavy battleship with terrible manoeuvrability. I haven't changed my course in a good minute or so. Along comes a destroyer/cruiser and steers across my bow and collides with me.

I get a penalty for damaging their ship. 

Seriously, heads out of *edit*, stop having meetings to come up with new ways to fleece players and FIX THE GODDAMN GAME!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 7
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 10

Players
3,295 posts
14,054 battles
5 minutes ago, ResidentXion said:

Whoever is in charge of designing and implementing this system needs to be given their marching orders. I have NEVER come across a penalty system in any other online multiplayer that punishes the innocent party

Example 1.

I launch a salvo of torpedos, they're in the water & over 2km from the ship and speeding towards a target. Along comes an allied ship, not watching his/her course or trying to steal the kill and takes my salvo broadside. 

I get a team-kill strike because my team-mate is a moron

Example 2.

I'm in a heavy battleship with terrible manoeuvrability. I haven't changed my course in a good minute or so. Along comes a destroyer/cruiser and steers across my bow and collides with me.

Seriously, heads out of asses, stop having meetings to come up with new ways to fleece players and FIX THE GODDAMN GAME!

First example. Your fault. You launch 'em, you take the consequences. 

Second example. Happens to everyone, regardless. The more map awareness the less it happens but the punishment is minor to say the least. 

• Cool 3

[CATS]
Players
26,144 posts
14,103 battles

The second example does not give a real penalty.

You lose a couple of credits and XP, usually less than 1%..

And the first one :fish_palm:

THAT is the reason we have this system!

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles
10 hours ago, ResidentXion said:

I have NEVER come across a penalty system in any other online multiplayer that punishes the innocent party

Neither you come across one of those here

Example 1.

I launch a salvo of torpedos

Your fault, case closed.

Your torps = your responsibility. Don't torp your allies from behind. Torps are faster than ships, so no, they didn't sail into your path, you torpedoed them

Also

not watching his/her course

Because you totally were watching out for allies instead of jsut spamming your torps everywhere :fish_palm:

Actually you get a team-kill strike because you attacked an ally. Who's the “moron” in that situation - I'd say most opinions wouldn't agree with you either

I haven't changed my course in a good minute or so

Ahahahahahahahahaha, git gud

Honestly I hoped this would turn into you getting torpedoed and now that being the DDs fault... That would have been hilarious :Smile_trollface:

Anyway

Along comes a destroyer/cruiser and steers across my bow and collides with me.

No you don't. If you mean the chat popup - it's just there to let you know. If you mean the couple HP you (and he) lost - pretty irrelevant.

TKs aren't given out for simple rammings, unless they result in a ship dying

Seriously, heads out of *edit*

You should take your own advice here :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[TF57]
Players
101 posts
10,458 battles
47 minutes ago, ResidentXion said:

I haven't changed my course in a good minute or so.

Yum yum, food for my DD

• Funny 1

[SHAFT]
Players
9,485 posts
8,838 battles
11 minutes ago, wilkatis_LV said:

Honestly I hoped this would turn into you getting torpedoed and now that being the DDs fault... That would have been hilarious :Smile_trollface:

I actually expected that one aswell :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 3

Beta Tester
262 posts
7,705 battles
1 hour ago, ResidentXion said:

Your torps, your responsibility. Don't launch torps if there is a chance they can hit an ally, people generally focus their attention towards the enemy since they aren't expecting their own team to attack them. The first warning they are likely to get is when the torpedo warning goes off by which time it may already be too late. Even if the torpedoes don't hit them you can still injure or kill them by restricting their ability to manoeuvre whilst under enemy fire or by being cross torped by the enemy. The team damage system is working as intended, you are in no way innocent and it is your attitude which needs fixing, not the game. Even if you do get yourself pink this only has a practical effect if you continue to do team damage, in which case you deserve everything that happens.

Colliding with a friendly ship inflicts no meaningful penalty. Unless you are already pink due to, say, having torpedoed an ally, in which case it extends the duration you stay pink for.

• Cool 2

Players
872 posts
9,925 battles
20 hours ago, ResidentXion said:

Example 1.

Example 2.

Seriously, heads out of asses, stop having meetings to come up with new ways to fleece players and FIX THE GODDAMN GAME!

So in the first example it's their fault for not avoiding you, and in the second example it's their fault because you didn't bother avoiding them. Right, very clear what the issue is. 

[LAFIE]
Beta Tester
4,734 posts
5,280 battles

Your torps, your responcibility, period. 

Nothing more needs to be said really. 

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,740 battles
3 hours ago, ResidentXion said:

Example 1.

Learn not to torp from second line.

I'll tell you a secret. When someone is in a brawling range with the enemy, they expect the enemy to threaten them. They try to minimize the damage taken from the enemy and maximize the damage they're dishing out themselves. That's a  lot of things to focus on and they don't have time to watch if some moron is torping then from behind. And even if they ARE aware of the torps, trying to avoid them can be just as suicidal - and when that happens, many players will just ignore them. These torps are going to cause their death anyway (be it by killing them or by forcing a maneuver that makes them vulnerable) so they pick the option that guarantees that the owner of the torps gets informed that no, their way of using torps was not acceptable.

3 hours ago, Bear_Necessities said:

Example 2.

Expect... 50 credits and 2 XP of penalty or something like this? In collisions both sides get punished and the punishment is inconsequential to say the least. It's more of an "hey, guys, maybe you should try and unglue yourself from each other one of these days" notification rather than a real penalty... now, if you happen to pull the trigger and slam the contents of your barrels into an enemy that's in collision with you, THAT can have some consequences. If you really were noticeably punished, then perhaps that was the case?

Long story short:

3 hours ago, ResidentXion said:

I have NEVER come across a penalty system in any other online multiplayer that punishes the innocent party 

You could argue being innocent in the example #2 but the penalties for ramming are basically non-existent. As for the truly substantial team-damage penalties, the torping example... you're clearly the guilty party and rightfully deserve any penalty you received there. The system is pretty forgiving so occasional mistakes and strokes of bad luck happen. If it's just a freak incident, you'll just pley a couple games and the pinkness will disappear. But if you manage to prolong it and/or get to the point where you're no longer pink but orange, chances are that YOU are the problem and need to change the way you use your torpedoes as to not endanger your allies anymore. That's what the system is there to teach you. And it's doing the job reasonably well, actually. At higher tiers there is a lot less team-torping than it used to be in the past. At low tiers the problem is still pretty prevalent but, well, they are the low tiers with considerable numbers of new players that have yet to learn how to (not) use their torpedo armament. Hopefully, the encounter with the anti-tk system will teach them.

Hopefully, it will teach you as well.

• Cool 3

Players
2,809 posts

I stopped playing dds due to the unfavorable environment, so I can only launch torps with gneiss now but I always took care to 'predict' allied movement and even give warning in chat when I launched 'risky' torps cuz it was too good a chance to miss. :Smile_trollface: It usually helps 'wake' up some ships that should have been more aware and in the latter (risky) drop then, I guess I take the responsibility. Not everyone watches the map (very few), so it's mostly on you to do some of the allied ships work for them. On the second case you mention, there's really nothing you can do but horn, look around for a wandering dd that might do something unexpected and in some cases as I do, don't slow down, just ram them out of danger or out of your way and move on. Staying entangled can kill you and between getting killed and hurting an allied ship (and getting red for it) I 'll take the red. 

ps: Funny situations have occured ofc. You're brawling with a ship and a dd makes a daring run between you and the enemy to torp him from point blank range takes your broadside in da face and dies. You get teamkill, he gets a kill, the enemy dies. There Idk how you can protect yourself, it happens :)

[NWP]
Players
1,334 posts
9,861 battles

Pink is nice

And on topic - Your Torps, your Pink - End of story.

• Funny 1

[BFS]
Beta Tester
1,860 posts
11,744 battles

As others have already posted - your torps your problem.

There is no reason to fire torps from the second line.  If you do fire them then if they hit your team mates it's your fault not theirs not matter how they are maneouvering.   The only time it would be OK is if your team mate is on very low HP and the enemy ship is about to sink them and is between you and them.  Even in that situation if any torps that miss the enemy and take out your team mate then it's your fault and not theirs.

Collisions will happen and it's usually the larger ship that takes the minor penalty for it.   Smaller ships may be trying to get out of the line of fire either from guns or torps and may not be paying attention to other ships around them (or even islands).  I've been in a DD sitting in smoke and had a BB push me out of the smoke broadside to the enemy.

I can't believe the OP used their first post in the forum to post this thread.

[XTREM]
[XTREM]
Players
1,583 posts
13,502 battles

Today you can learn a valuable lesson, thanks to these posters who pointed it out.

Don't let it go to waste. Pay attention to how you use your torps. 

• Cool 1

Players
628 posts
2,129 battles
9 hours ago, ResidentXion said:

Now put yourself in the position of the other player, you are sailing along in your big battleship with poor maneuverability (see your point 2) and somebody on your team fires a broadside of torps into your path, who are you going to rage at now?

The game has to be based around some sort of skill or players could just spam torpedoes and artillery all over the map, and that wouldn't be a lot of fun would it? Anybody firing torpedoes has to be looking at their map and predicting what their own team are doing and are likely to do as much as the enemy. Make sure your map is BIG, look at it often, and just don't fire torps if you are going to box teammates into impossible positions or prevent them retreating or attacking. Cruisers offering covering fire for example often need to go one direction first before swinging around for another run at the enemy, they will often criss cross the map, it's their job, your job is to not kill them then whine about it as if you had no choice.

[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,654 battles

I've seen this from several angles.

There's the people who are so desperate for the kill they torp and assume the ships ahead will see them or get out of the way.

There's the people who will passive-aggressively sail into any friendly torp near them because they are just that petty.

There's the cruisers that insist on throwing torps between islands regardless of their own DD's being in that channel.

I've been hit by second line torps many many times. Last week I took three torps, from three separate friendly cruisers in a DD, and somehow lived. All were 'pinked', all went ballistic and told me to 'improve my awareness'. I believe I told each of them to 'get ****ed'

I've also been unfortunate enough to hit friendlies and on occasion was tunnel-visioned and didn't see someone barrelling in to make use of my smoke, but on other occasions have definitely seen people turn into my torps, quite deliberately, because cutting your nose off to spite your face trumps gameplay and winning. Losing a game because a BB lives while your BB is so hellbent on getting a torp kill that they are prepared to cut across your well placed torps is infuriating, but I had to take responsibility. My torps, so if I am careless it's my fault, if someone else chooses to be a 'massive womans front bottom' it's equally going to be my fault for not remembering that every game has a window licker prepared to take your torps to secure a kill, farm a little more damage or simply be an [edited].

To be fair, I've watched cruisers dump 8km torps into a cap full of DD's and wondered whether the friendly death will be a DD who rightfully expects to not be torped while capping or whether the friendly death will occur because the DD takes such an affront to the nearby torps he willingly moves into their path whilst preparing his tirade of abuse for chat.

It's never cut and dried, but you have to assume responsibility for your torps and assume there are people in the game who lack basic awareness or are quite simply malicious. If in doubt, don't launch.

• Funny 2

[CMP]
Weekend Tester
602 posts
4,922 battles

Welcome to the form OP.

Nice to see that 400 games was all it took for you to master the complicated systems of a multiplayer team game, and become the authority on how an anti team killing system should be done. Bravo!

As you might have noticed from the earlier responses. The general consensus is: your torps = your problem.

If you have even a tiny change of hitting a friendly ... you don't launch.

Basically this means you do not torp when you are not the closest boat to the enemy.

The anti team damage system is actually one of the best I've ever seen. Team damage by a pink player, even gets reflected back to them. So if somebody is deliberately teamkilling, all they do is kill themselves.