You need to play a total of 50 battles to post in this section.
Black_Prince42

New carriers

44 comments in this topic

Players
152 posts
1,629 battles

So I been playing since beta, I've seen most of the changes. On Facebook all I see right now are cry baby's getting sad because the carrier gameplay doesn't suit them. The new carriers are better, more involved and fighters actually contribute. Oh and I just got the Hermes, played five games already. British carriers are here to rule, so yeah eat my RP3s lol. And suck my armoured flight deck. But seriously why do so many people complain, is because they suddenly started losing?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

Players
1,619 posts
18,174 battles

I was prepared to give the new carriers a chance, I tried playing them in the tests and found the play style too boring for me honestly, if I want to fly planes like that I would play WOWP but I'm not against carriers in the game and if people do enjoy playing this style then good for them. 

Not it sure what you mean the fighters so something I have found them to be utterly useless on here rare occasions the CV tried to use them to help the team 

I think part of the issue is such a fundamental change in carrier play upsets those who were very good at the RTS style, and also frustrates a lot of other ship players. In part because at the moment the balancing is very much work in progress so every week there is something new to get used too. This has resulted at least in the short term in a lot more passive game play and certainly not helped with 2 or 3 CVs per side.

• Cool 3

Players
3,130 posts
10,561 battles
41 minutes ago, Black_Prince42 said:

So I been playing since beta, I've seen most of the changes. On Facebook all I see right now are cry baby's getting sad because the carrier gameplay doesn't suit them. The new carriers are better, more involved and fighters actually contribute. Oh and I just got the Hermes, played five games already. British carriers are here to rule, so yeah eat my RP3s lol. And suck my armoured flight deck. But seriously why do so many people complain, is because they suddenly started losing?

It's a troll post.

Don't even go there with him :cap_tea:

• Cool 3

[PARAZ]
Beta Tester
13,770 posts
19,435 battles
1 hour ago, Black_Prince42 said:

The new carriers are better, more involved and fighters actually contribute.

tenor.gif

But seriously why do so many people complain, is because they suddenly started losing?

Maybe you'll start complaining when you realize you're actually way worse in reworked CVs than RTS CVs?

And it's not like you were doing particularly well with RTS CVs.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 6

[KAKE]
Players
2,519 posts
5,960 battles

fighters actually contribute.

:fish_palm:

• Cool 2

[ADRIA]
[ADRIA]
Players
5,061 posts
8,562 battles

fighters actually contribute

youre_serious_futurama.gif

• Cool 2

[THSLD]
Players
26 posts
6,953 battles

Nope, it is because one can literally switch off and still get a decent result, whereas with the old system skill and multi-tasking abilities were a must, any chimp with an IQ of 45 can do well in a carrier these days.

• Funny 1

Players
3,130 posts
10,561 battles
2 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

It's a troll post.

Don't even go there with him :cap_tea:

and yet people do :fish_palm:

[TOXIC]
Players
4,655 posts
11,732 battles
4 hours ago, Sargento_YO said:

Wtf?? "Fighters actually contribute?!"
Not sure if you re trolling or just plain stupid (insert meme here)

Depends on how he meant the "actually contribute" part, though.

If he meant it as "(now, after the patch, as opposed to before) the fighters actually contribute" then it's a meme.

If he meant it as "(unlike what a lot of people claim, even in the current iteration) the fighters actually contribute)" then he's right. The fighter consumable has impact on both ships and planes AND the vulnerability to AA means that if you drop your fighters on top of an ally, the enemy CV can't reliably counter that with their own charge of the consumable. Most ships (including some DDs) have enough AA to clean up the sky from the enemy fighters, leaving your consumable-born squad to keep deterring the enemy strike squadrons. Sure it's much less useful, much more constrained and not nearly as important as the proper fighter use in RTS CVs but yes, fighters do actually contribute despite what many people are saying.

...also, when I'm playing my Ds, fighters certainly contribute to my high plane killed counts since lots of CVs apparently never got a memo that Akizuki isn't easily spotted by fighters; not for long, at least :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[_FK_]
Beta Tester
609 posts
14,041 battles

Lol.... fighters generally do sod all. "Contribute" thats a good joke, my DD shoots down more planes lol, If that is what you mean and even in the spotting department they dont last long enough to warrant the waste of the consumable, they only really work as a deterrent (for the 30 seconds they actually live for atleast). 

[XTREM]
Players
3,634 posts
10,837 battles

Lol.

Saying so many funny things at once.

But 'tis nice you feel positive about the rework at least!

People complain because they think they can change the game in their favor. After the hotfixes which adressed most of the "negative towards CV" grps demands they are on a power trip and think that the louder they are the more WG will change in their favor.

'Tis quite the illusion i must say.

• Boring 1

Players
1,788 posts
1,673 battles
9 hours ago, Black_Prince42 said:

Hermes didn't have an armoured flight deck......

• Cool 2

[NWP]
Players
1,332 posts
9,837 battles
7 hours ago, Redcap375 said:

and yet people do

Alas, they do !!

[TWS]
Players
467 posts
4,654 battles

This whole CV thing, and WG's attempt to make them more open to a wider player base through a more dynamic and less multitasked micromanagement, reminds me of when Call Of Duty, in it's pre Advanced Warfare hey-day made killstreaks more accessible. 

Oh, the uproar from the elite was immense. How dare they make the game more accessible! How dare they give tools to someone without an elitist K/D ratio...

The attitude of some people stinks on here so if the OP is enjoying the game now, good for him, good luck to him and long may that continue. I feel bad that he's going to now experience a thread full of troll tirades and anti-rework vitriol because he seemingly not allowed an opinion.

[ORCA]
Players
64 posts
9,729 battles

I liked old carriers and i also like new carriers, game changes, just need to get used to it for the better or worse

• Cool 2

Players
688 posts
5,890 battles

Pre patch I had the premium cv's. (I'm a collector potato extraordinaire!). I would play the tier 4/5's in randoms and had some fun but normally got my arse handed to me by a clubber or just someone that knew what they were doing......

As for the premiums I just played them in co-op for my own entertainment.

Since the re-work I've started grinding the US line. I was quite shocked how much cv's have been de-fanged. I'm up to Ranger now and find it a somewhat varied but fun experience.

If WG wanted to allow more of the playerbase to access cv play without the need for serious practise and harwork they have succeeded.

I am finding situational awareness and ship AA capability knowledge essential. I can't delete any target but I can spot and damage them. The gameplay is rewarding and different from ships although the aiming takes some practise. And who and when I can strike and when to just maintain a presence and spot. Conversly I'm learning the strengths and weaknesses of cv's for my normal ship play.

I agree there is further balancing required. The uptier mismatch is quite shocking and T6 at T8 can be somewhat unrewarding.

I have made it my mission to make isolated ships hell and spot and harass enemy dd's. I've also raped enemy squadrons in my Alaska. I much prefer this new version of cv's. I completely understand how previous experienced cv captains feel they have had their livelihood taken away. But also new captains are finding the gameplay of cv's far more accessible. WG are never going to remove them, they are as much part of the game as battleships. I think WG are on the right road to balance but of course cv's are always a bipolar class.

• Cool 3

[TKBS]
[TKBS]
Alpha Tester
1,003 posts
10,749 battles
35 minutes ago, MeTaLMooSe said:

Pre patch I had the premium cv's. (I'm a collector potato extraordinaire!). I would play the tier 4/5's in randoms and had some fun but normally got my arse handed to me by a clubber or just someone that knew what they were doing......

As for the premiums I just played them in co-op for my own entertainment.

Since the re-work I've started grinding the US line. I was quite shocked how much cv's have been de-fanged. I'm up to Ranger now and find it a somewhat varied but fun experience.

If WG wanted to allow more of the playerbase to access cv play without the need for serious practise and harwork they have succeeded.

I am finding situational awareness and ship AA capability knowledge essential. I can't delete any target but I can spot and damage them. The gameplay is rewarding and different from ships although the aiming takes some practise. And who and when I can strike and when to just maintain a presence and spot. Conversly I'm learning the strengths and weaknesses of cv's for my normal ship play.

I agree there is further balancing required. The uptier mismatch is quite shocking and T6 at T8 can be somewhat unrewarding.

I have made it my mission to make isolated ships hell and spot and harass enemy dd's. I've also raped enemy squadrons in my Alaska. I much prefer this new version of cv's. I completely understand how previous experienced cv captains feel they have had their livelihood taken away. But also new captains are finding the gameplay of cv's far more accessible. WG are never going to remove them, they are as much part of the game as battleships. I think WG are on the right road to balance but of course cv's are always a bipolar class.

Can i ask you, and I'm dead serious about it:

Do you feel that doing 20k avg damage at tier 8 is fun? It's  rewarding? ( and you have to thanks the op enterprise for that, or it would be more like 15k)

Is it really fun for you doing 20k at tier 6 even? When you ( that recogise yourself as a potato, when  you aren't one really) did double the damage with the old tier 4 than current tier 8 cvs? when  on the same tier bbs you do 60k+ damage and with cruisers is 45-50k ( tier 8)? Do you really feel like you are being more useful for your team in a cv rather than a bb-cl-dd that have a real presence in the map ( so they can tank/cap and so on) AND are doing 2-3 times the damage??

• Cool 2

[SDI]
Players
16 posts
5,698 battles

I agree with Flavio's comments. I have now played 30 battles in the Midway, scoring an average 40K damage with a top damage of 90K, for a "fantastic" WR of 33% .... while in the old Lexington, after 70 battles I was scoring an average 64K damage with a top damage of 170K, for an acceptable WR of 51%.

I find torpedoes doing ridiculous damage IF you hit on target, almost impossible to achieve flooding (even with the signal mounted). You can only rely on bombers to make decent damage IF you are lucky to find an isolated japanese or german ship (which does not happen frequently). If there are 2 ships together, you surely get deplaned. So, I would say at the moment playing Midway is totally unsatisfactory for me. I will try the british carriers,  as they said have stronger HP,  but if the outcome ends up being the same , I will probably sell all my CVs and move back to BBs, DDs and cruisers, at least with them I can achieve much better results.

Hope WG listen and make some more fine-tuning to correct current situation. 

BR.

[NWP]
Players
2,627 posts
16,253 battles

This is an important topic ppl. It allows us to meet the average player WG had in mind when they did the rework.

So use this topic wisely to ask for more information on future gamebalance actions to OP as it's most likely the direction WG will aim for.

Players
688 posts
5,890 battles
2 hours ago, Flavio1997 said:

Can i ask you, and I'm dead serious about it:

Do you feel that doing 20k avg damage at tier 8 is fun? It's  rewarding? ( and you have to thanks the op enterprise for that, or it would be more like 15k)

Is it really fun for you doing 20k at tier 6 even? When you ( that recogise yourself as a potato, when  you aren't one really) did double the damage with the old tier 4 than current tier 8 cvs? when  on the same tier bbs you do 60k+ damage and with cruisers is 45-50k ( tier 8)? Do you really feel like you are being more useful for your team in a cv rather than a bb-cl-dd that have a real presence in the map ( so they can tank/cap and so on) AND are doing 2-3 times the damage??

That's a valid question Flavio.  I can only guess that similar players are experiencing lower damage values whilst they get acquainted with the new mechanics.  I just had a look at my Ranger stats and agree they are terrible! Although you have to account for learning the ship, they will improve.

But the crux of the issue is should someone play a cv (badly) when they can do more for the team in any other class?

And the answer there is, does it matter unless you are in a competition or care about stats? Does a player have a responsibility in an online game? Meh, it's fun now and different.  Whether it's part of WG's master plan to make it more fun for a casual player and hence lower cv's average damage I don't know.

But yes. I am having fun learning and either I'll pick up the techniques and improve or loose interest.

• Cool 1